Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10

Author Topic: Timeline of Bay 12 Forums (Time has passed, let's fill out 2016.)  (Read 14797 times)

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Timeline of Bay 12 Forums (Every detail helps)
« Reply #60 on: June 29, 2016, 10:31:20 am »

Necro910 is included as he was one of, if not the, driving force behind the frequency of magma being used a meme upon the forums.

Shock Spammer was included as it spawned a forumite-made utility (while it hasn't been used again, that's mainly due to never getting a similar attack again), led to a debate upon moderators on a pretty decent scale, and the attack was a regular thing over multiple days.

I guess I'm just not impressed by the 'historical' impact of some meme. And, I'm 100% sure people were saying magma semi inappropriately very often before he did it. And, well, people making things that no one uses, trolls persisting until they get bored, and debates about moderators are all fairly common. Just... Doesn't seem important. And, to be honest here dude... Glorifying trolls and assholes in your history is... Not a good thing. Shockspammer and other idiots like him clearly wanted to make some impact, they fail to do so, but now you want to enshrine his memory in your thread?

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 29, 2016, 11:03:08 am »

Criptfeind has a point, yeah. I mean, GWG and LSP are on there because they were pretty big forum personalities before their bannings, but the shockspammer guy just kinda popped up, got banz0red, led to a debate on moderation for a day or so, then never came back.

Plus, Toady didn't even see him as worthy to record on the moderation log. That's usually reserved for spambots and the Nexus guy.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 29, 2016, 11:11:34 am »

Criptfeind has a point, yeah. I mean, GWG and LSP are on there because they were pretty big forum personalities before their bannings, but the shockspammer guy just kinda popped up, got banz0red, led to a debate on moderation for a day or so, then never came back.

Plus, Toady didn't even see him as worthy to record on the moderation log. That's usually reserved for spambots and the Nexus guy.
Speaking of the Nexus, that debacle might actually deserve a spot on the timeline; I remember it being a pretty big deal at the time.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 29, 2016, 12:30:07 pm »

The Hall of Legendses you have are actually the 3rd and 4th.
First one here!
Second one here!

Some notable forum games might be worth including.
Einsteinian Roulette
The Warrens of Oric the Awesome
Multiworld Madness, the magnum opus of the RTD board (before ER anyways)

Slaves to Armok first release: ???
Slaves to Armok last release: August 26th, 2004
Kobold Quest: September 10, 2006
Squiggles: March 2005
WWI Medic: Febuary 28, 2004

ThreeToe joined April 15, 2002

Bay 12 Games Patreon created April 27 2015

The various bay12 meetups are probably worth including but I don't know when those happened.

What was the date of Dwarfmoot?  I know at least that occurred recently.  Might be good to add the recording of the livestream that apparently occurred, if anyone knows where that is.

Will run through the list and add to the appropriate dates.  Einsteinian Roulette is on there at the rough time when it got its own board (still need the day for that), but adding its initial start would be good.

I guess I'm just not impressed by the 'historical' impact of some meme. And, I'm 100% sure people were saying magma semi inappropriately very often before he did it. And, well, people making things that no one uses, trolls persisting until they get bored, and debates about moderators are all fairly common. Just... Doesn't seem important. And, to be honest here dude... Glorifying trolls and assholes in your history is... Not a good thing. Shockspammer and other idiots like him clearly wanted to make some impact, they fail to do so, but now you want to enshrine his memory in your thread?

Point taken, both axed.

Back to archaeology, can someone give me a good writeup for what happened to LSP?  I really don't have much information on what happened.
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 29, 2016, 12:30:47 pm »

A racist URL, of course.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #65 on: June 29, 2016, 12:52:36 pm »

The little globe next to every post linking to their homepage pointed to "n****.rs", without the *.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 29, 2016, 01:07:17 pm »

Speaking of the Nexus, that debacle might actually deserve a spot on the timeline; I remember it being a pretty big deal at the time.
No. I am pretty sure it was asked not to mention him around the forum since he could notice and try to come back.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Inarius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 29, 2016, 01:08:52 pm »

I'm surprised by the absence of Boatmurdered, which has a quite big impact on making DF known. It ended on Mar 06, 2007.

You should also add the article in the new york times magazine (july 21, 2011), which had a big impact, and the entrance of DF at the MoMa (somewhere during november 2012 ?)

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 29, 2016, 01:24:21 pm »

I'm surprised by the absence of Boatmurdered, which has a quite big impact on making DF known. It ended on Mar 06, 2007.

You should also add the article in the new york times magazine (july 21, 2011), which had a big impact, and the entrance of DF at the MoMa (somewhere during november 2012 ?)

Besides reluctance due to it being from Something Awful, do you know the actual date Boatmurdered started?  If we actually do put it on the timeline, we kinda need that.

New York Times is part of the spike in new users, so it'll be mentioned.

As for the entrance of DF at the MoMa, are you able to get a more precise date?  I would like to know if it wound up making a slight spike by comparing the date with the statistics center.

The little globe next to every post linking to their homepage pointed to "n****.rs", without the *.

I can safely say that I was not expecting you to have posted in the thread this early, much less provide the answer to a query I had made.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2016, 01:42:22 pm by Zanzetkuken The Great »
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 29, 2016, 01:54:40 pm »

June 29th, 2016 - ToadyOne first posts in the Bay 12 Timeline thread.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 29, 2016, 02:16:17 pm »

PTW
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 29, 2016, 02:29:42 pm »

Should the creation of the Mildly Sad thread be on the list? It hasn't turned into a 1,000-page behemoth yet, and there's no guarantee it ever will, so it seems weird to have it there.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 29, 2016, 02:33:29 pm »

I don't know whether I forgot to make an awful joke about "linking to n.rs", or whether I did make the joke and it got removed.

Just having Toady here makes me doubt my senility and I love it.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 29, 2016, 03:15:51 pm »

A quick search indicates that this is likely the first ever bay12 25 days of Christmas giveaway

Personally I'd recommend breaking apart entries such as the starting of threads and the closing of threads, and the beginning of endings of thread so as to make things more timeliney. Also that way it's easier to put in funfacts like the fact that penguin thread was locked on page 100.
It's FEF, not FEOF

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 29, 2016, 03:24:14 pm »

A quick search indicates that this is likely the first ever bay12 25 days of Christmas giveaway

Personally I'd recommend breaking apart entries such as the starting of threads and the closing of threads, and the beginning of endings of thread so as to make things more timeliney. Also that way it's easier to put in funfacts like the fact that penguin thread was locked on page 100.

Added first currently known christmas giveaway.

Might do that in order to see if there are other funny coincidences.  Like the creation of the Happy Thread and the second Hall of Legends are contemporary (6 day difference).   Another set of rough contemporaries are the Locking of the Slaves to Armok I board and the creation of the WTF thread (14 day difference).
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10