Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10

Author Topic: Timeline of Bay 12 Forums (Time has passed, let's fill out 2016.)  (Read 14774 times)

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
Re: Timeline of Bay 12 Forums (Every detail helps)
« Reply #105 on: July 06, 2016, 12:38:52 pm »

Can I nominate the creation of RTRTD and the induction of myself as a minor meme?

Can you find me a link to RTRTD, or at least the date it started?  As I have been saying, people can nominate all they want, but unless they give me something to work with, I can't really do much.

As for the induction of yourself as a meme, do you mean the first use of your name being used to refer to a massive level of destruction?  If you can find the first use, then I'll put it in.
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: July 06, 2016, 01:37:46 pm »

Also, do I get an entry for making Top 10 Active Members By Postcount in less than a year?
Is it really something to be proud of?
Last time I had a post rate that intense I got thoroughly chewed out.
Although at the time the lower boards had a population of about 11, which probably would've made it more annoying.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

I.M. Err0r

• Bay Watcher
  • Keas are just misunderstood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: July 06, 2016, 02:07:12 pm »

This is interesting, especially since I've just been lurking until recently.
Also, where would the "cruelest thing you've ever done" incident fall on the timeline?

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: July 06, 2016, 04:32:17 pm »

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73877.0

Roll to Roll to Dodge, December 26, 2010.

I think I officially achieved memetic Dermness April 26th, 2011, in turn 85 of RTRTD, which happened to be post 1000.

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73877.msg2225300#msg2225300

"To be honest, killing that chieftain completely changes the path this story is taking. I just wasn't expecting Derm to immolate him beyond recognition before he could even say a word.

Not sure why I wasn't expecting that."

It's not exactly the first time it was 'used to reference a massive level of destruction' but it was the most defining moment. I don't even know where to begin to look for the exact thing requested.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2016, 04:35:44 pm by Dermonster »
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

Jifodus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Lurker
    • View Profile
    • Dwarf Fortress Projects
« Reply #109 on: July 07, 2016, 04:13:37 pm »

Some events up for consideration:

2006-08-15 | Dwarf Fortress Wiki | The announcement post of the Dwarf Fortress Wiki
2007-03-16 | Save Format | Thread that started DF utility writing, at least on these forums
2007-09-08 | Dwarf Fortress 3D Visualizer - EARLY ALPHA | First thread about a 3D fortress visualizer as a separate program
2008-06-30 | The forums were switched from ultimatebb to simple machines. The forum conversion is also when all of the non-post related statistics started being tracked.

I was looking to see if I could find one of the threads from around the time the first 3D version of DF was released since it was a pretty big event at the time (it had been a quite a few months without a release, then it was 3D + bigger maps + not guaranteed to have all the fun stuff + frame rate murder), but it's far more buried than I want to dig.

I'm also horrified and amazed that my online time has been considered noteworthy for this list... I do confess that I don't have a life... but... but...
*hides*

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: July 07, 2016, 10:52:23 pm »

If DF Visualizers are worth mentioning, a brief history of Stonesense:

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=35050.msg537495#msg537495
- Some asshole drew a mockup and some sprites for an Isometric DF GUI, but didn't do anything with it because she was a rubbish programmer and generally Couldn't Be Arsed.

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=43260.0
- Previous asshole and ambitious Norwegian team up to design the first real-time DF Visualizer based on it, unintentionally stealing the name from an existing DF Mod that made ores visible.
Aforementioned asshole may have been responsible for said unintentional name-theft *cough cough*

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=106497
- After initial asshole's couldn't-be-arsed-ness spread to said Norwegian, the would-be derelict project was taken under the wing of the diligent and handsome and incredibly swanky Japa (plus a metric butt-tonne of artists capable of being arsed), who rebuilt and expanded and maintained it.

P.S. It also might be worth mentioning when DF was included in the Museum of Modern Art, if anyone can find a proper date or thread link.

Unfortunately, despite prior efforts to arse myself, I still cannot be arsed.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: July 07, 2016, 10:56:02 pm »

Yeah, Stonesense definitely rates mention. It's one of the three or four mods/utilities I still distinctly remember.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: July 07, 2016, 10:59:46 pm »

Speaking of visualizers, This thread was pretty huge.

Name redacted for caution reasons.

EDIT: Gosh, the drama there is persistent. The "insults UI, calls fans sycophants" thing is basically a once-a-month fiesta in the upper boards these days.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2016, 11:04:15 pm by Putnam »

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: July 08, 2016, 11:29:53 pm »

I guess I shall PTW.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: July 11, 2016, 03:03:09 pm »

Updated the list.  Wound up finding a minor measure of hilarity in the fact that Stonesense was released the exact same day as the Sad Thread was created, the former roughly seven and a half hours after the latter.

Also, where would the "cruelest thing you've ever done" incident fall on the timeline?

Really rather avoid giving that particular event much publicity to be perfectly honest.

I'm also horrified and amazed that my online time has been considered noteworthy for this list... I do confess that I don't have a life... but... but...
*hides*

If I had to guess, it would be due to you having signed up near a decade ago (on September 13, it will have been a full 10 years ago), and having taking a glance at the forum for variable lengths of time over the course of that period.

Speaking of ten years ago, we're only 28 days from the tenth anniversary of Dwarf Fortress.  What should we do on that day?
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: July 11, 2016, 03:05:40 pm »

Ooh boy.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: July 11, 2016, 03:08:51 pm »

*hides*
MY NEMESIS
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: July 11, 2016, 03:11:47 pm »

Speaking of ten years ago, we're only 28 days from the tenth anniversary of Dwarf Fortress.  What should we do on that day?
I'm going to need some safety matches, a few 2x4s, and Orlando Bloom.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

George_Chickens

• Bay Watcher
  • Ghosts are stored in the balls.
    • View Profile
Re: Timeline of Bay 12 Forums
« Reply #118 on: July 11, 2016, 04:17:10 pm »

And the magma guy was necro910, he was later banned for something involving ponies.

If I remember right, he once said on Reddit he was banned for a pretty nasty pedophillia joke ("You are either a very lucky child or a very lucky pedophile, I wish you luck either way"). But, alas, this is not the ban log.

Anyway, do you think it would be worth mentioning the end of 40d and the start of the new era of DF? It seems like a pretty monumental event for Bay12.

Ghosts are stored in the balls?[/quote]
also George_Chickens quit fucking my sister

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: July 11, 2016, 04:21:45 pm »

Looking over the timeline, I kinda wish I created this thread either 12 or 20 days earlier.  Would've wound up making it on what could be considered the 15 anniversary of the forums.

Anyway, do you think it would be worth mentioning the end of 40d and the start of the new era of DF? It seems like a pretty monumental event for Bay12.

Would that be defined as the initial release of .31, or some other date?
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10