Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Is Legecy More Stable Than SDL?  (Read 1547 times)

Chase

• Bay Watcher
  • I like video games
    • View Profile
Is Legecy More Stable Than SDL?
« on: June 27, 2016, 07:15:15 pm »

Is it?
Fantasy World Simulation Enthusiast

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Is Legecy More Stable Than SDL?
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2016, 02:25:19 am »

I don't know. I think SDL is "2D" and legacy is "STANDARD". 2D is more compatible and supports TrueType Fonts, but STANDARD is faster and supports NEAREST scaling. Dwarf Fortress is set to "2D" by default, but if you delete that setting it defaults back to "STANDARD".

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2016, 03:21:41 am »

I don't know. I think SDL is "2D" and legacy is "STANDARD". 2D is more compatible and supports TrueType Fonts, but STANDARD is faster and supports NEAREST scaling. Dwarf Fortress is set to "2D" by default, but if you delete that setting it defaults back to "STANDARD".

No, Legacy and SDL are two different downloads that can be seen on the download page at bay 12 games. Print mode is unrelated.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2016, 03:41:27 am »

"Legacy code is source code that relates to a no-longer supported or manufactured operating system or other computer technology." -Wikipedia

I'm going to assume "No", unless you're using an OS that can't handle SDL.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2016, 03:43:07 am by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2016, 03:45:10 am »

I just remembered. Legacy's curses, SDL is SDL. SDL has a couple print modes, 2D doesn't use graphics acceleration, the rest do (with OpenGL) AFAIK.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2016, 04:05:20 am »

Some animations (like thrown weapons in adv. mode) will render in legacy but not SDL afaik
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Chase

• Bay Watcher
  • I like video games
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2016, 02:22:29 pm »

Well, I had a 550 year old world generating, and it was taking a while and i ended up falling asleep and it didn't crash when I woke up to complete world gen (which is has on SDL) so I'm just going to assume for now that Legacy is better.
Fantasy World Simulation Enthusiast

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2016, 03:49:56 pm »

No, Legacy and SDL are two different downloads that can be seen on the download page at bay 12 games. Print mode is unrelated.

"2D" uses SDL, but "STANDARD" doesn't. I would guess that a non-SDL version of Dwarf Fortress would just be one that doesn't include the SDL libraries, so it's only option would be to use the "STANDARD" print mode. Since using SDL is required for TrueType Fonts, I would guess the legacy version doesn't support those.

mifki

• Bay Watcher
  • works secretly...
    • View Profile
    • mifki
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2016, 04:05:20 pm »

"2D" uses SDL, but "STANDARD" doesn't. I would guess that a non-SDL version of Dwarf Fortress would just be one that doesn't include the SDL libraries, so it's only option would be to use the "STANDARD" print mode. Since using SDL is required for TrueType Fonts, I would guess the legacy version doesn't support those.

No. They all use SDL - for window management, input events, etc. But for drawing, 2D uses SDL and STANDARD uses OpenGL directly.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2016, 05:49:43 pm »

"2D" uses SDL, but "STANDARD" doesn't.

Except that's completely false. No truth to it whatsoever.