Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Survival games  (Read 3282 times)

WakeMeUp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Survival games
« on: June 27, 2016, 11:49:05 am »

What are the most realistic survival games out there? I really like those, I currently play UnRealWorld, but I would like to see what is there besides that. Just no MMO, I beg you.

gomez

• Bay Watcher
  • [Hysterical and Useless]
    • View Profile
Re: Survival games
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2016, 11:51:20 am »

Wurm unlimited and cataclsym DDA are quite good survival games.
"They accused us of suppressing freedom of expression. This was a lie and we could not let them publish it."
- Nelba Blandon (as Director of Censorship, Nicaragua)

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2016, 12:29:21 pm »

Wurm was mentioned so I'll throw Life is Feudal in as well. They're pretty similar if you look at them from a distance.

They're both technically intended to be multiplayer but there's nothing stopping you from playing by yourself.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2016, 06:00:48 pm »

Seconding Cata:DDA, though keep in mind that it's only realistic in the sense of maintaining a fairly high degree of granularity in the simulation, as opposed to the setting.

If you're looking for a survival-shooter, the Exile mod for ArmA III is probably my favorite, and gives you the option of playing on servers that are PvE only (which basically only removes the possibility of griefing and getting ganked constantly, since ArmA AI can be set anywhere from "difficult" to "I just got headshot by a single bullet fired by a technical from 800m away". All in all it's much less gamey than most of its ilk, though it does suffer from the usual ArmA menu management simulator syndrome and construction is relatively limited (though functional enough within those limits).

Space Engineers in survival mode has a similar dynamic to the core survival mechanics of most such games, except that your key resources are oxygen for breathing, hydrogen for your jetpack, and refined uranium for ship/station systems. That, and once you manage to scrap your way out of the deep resource pit you start in, it's basically just a Newtonian-physics space building sim where you get to try to be a human Von Neumann machine.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Ardent Debater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2016, 11:13:36 pm »

If you don't mind the learning curve, or graphics, I'd recommend Unreal World. It's an Early Iron Age Survival game set in Northern Europe.

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2016, 12:41:45 am »

Robinson's Requiem and Deus. Prepare to die of many diseases.

Exerosp

• Bay Watcher
  • Not Caught Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2016, 05:30:16 am »

If you don't mind the learning curve, or graphics, I'd recommend Unreal World. It's an Early Iron Age Survival game set in Northern Europe.
He mentioned it in his first message!
But I guess I could recommend ARK Survival Evolved? People seem to like the singleplayer of it a lot :D

Asgarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2016, 06:10:05 am »

StarForge, Planet Explorers, Dwarf Fortress of course, 3069, 3079, 3089, 7 Days to Die, modded Minecraft (even if you don't like the vanilla game, there are sooo many great mods out there...), Don't Starve, ...

I suppose they are not quite what you are looking for. UnrealWorld is really focussed on the survival aspect, and most other games aren't as unforgiving :) But maybe one of the listed games will hook you for a while.

Ardent Debater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2016, 08:25:12 am »

He mentioned it in his first message!
But I guess I could recommend ARK Survival Evolved? People seem to like the singleplayer of it a lot :D

Oh. I really shouldn't post that late at night...

Lucidvizion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2016, 10:13:53 am »

Stranded 2
Wayward  (can play the free version here:  http://www.unlok.ca/wayward/ )
Neo Scavenger

Unreal World and Cata: DDA really are the pinnacles of the genre though.  I wish there were more - though if there were I'd probably never play any other type of game.

Drakale

• Bay Watcher
  • I will get my revenge~
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2016, 02:54:36 pm »

Oh man, Neo scavenger is both horrible and awesome.I hope they make a better version of it someday. As it is now, it's a bit weird and got some serious UI issues, but there are some really cool mechanics in there. I like the combat and the limited skillets you character can have in particular.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2016, 03:09:44 pm »

Cataclysm: DDA is ridiculously tough.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Cormack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2016, 07:27:10 pm »

PTW
Yes, I'm gay.

MasterFancyPants

• Bay Watcher
  • I LOVE TACOS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2016, 09:11:16 pm »

Only 2 people have said Unreal World?!
http://www.unrealworld.fi/

It is a RL that is basically all about survival. I recommend you start without the tutorial. Your first game will feel like you really are trying to survive out in the wild, throwing rocks at rabbits, ect.
Quote from: Frumple
Flailing people to death with empty socks, though, that takes a lot of effort. Less so if the sock's made out of something interesting, but generally quite difficult.

cider

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2016, 10:24:21 am »

Only 2 people have said Unreal World?!
http://www.unrealworld.fi/

It is a RL that is basically all about survival. I recommend you start without the tutorial. Your first game will feel like you really are trying to survive out in the wild, throwing rocks at rabbits, ect.

Only two people, one of which is the opening post...  :P
Pages: [1] 2