Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 50

Author Topic: Spearbreakers II "The Return of The Mug" - Braveworks [43.05]  (Read 88332 times)

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
Re: Spearbreakers II "The Return of The Mug" - Braveworks
« Reply #195 on: July 03, 2016, 04:44:10 pm »

2nd Timber, 318

I have learned why Lefton wasn't entrusted to learn the art of brewery.

What sort of criminally insane fuck cooks alcohol!? I also had to turn one of the barracks into a makeshift food storage because that fool left a bunch of meat-and-booze biscuits out to fucking rot.

15th TImber, 318

The river froze. No fish, no water. Imic managed to scrounge up some millets and apples though. So I told the brewers to quote, "FUCKING MAKE SOME BEER, OR WINE, OR WHATEVER IT IS WE CAN DRINK."

I have a feeling I was so lost in my anger and haste, that I may or may not have called Lefton a "fucking retard" and suggested we toss him into a trash compactor, but the merc didn't want to indulge me. He left the day after.

18th Timber, 318

I decided to take a suggestion from Mr Frog to distract everyone and build a small gym. Aseaheru is building the parts for a bunch of pumps because, according to Mr Frog, "Even dry runnin' pumps is great for juicin' your arms man." then he both insulted me and complemented me at the same time, saying that since I "bang big-ass rocks together all day 'n' shit," I could probably skip that and go straight to actual "weight training," whatever that is. Not sure how to feel about having my job insulted and my physical strength complimented.

27th Timber, 318

The gym's hollowed out. Now to smooth it out and move the equipment inside. Not necessarily in that order.

3rd Moonstone, 318

Thank the gods, a few ponds thawed out; they'd frozen over mid-Timber. At least we won't all die of dehydration. I hope. In other news, conscripted Flame for the time being as an extra room smoother. Not like she's doing anything else right now.

5th Moonstone, 318

I fucking hate everyone here. We're in the midst of death by dehydration, mere days or weeks from it because nobody is willing to risk a little cholera besides me to survive and everyone keeps eating the damned fruits and won't drop the barrels with the other plants long enough for anyone to get anything to brew.

9th Moonstone, 318

I... I don't believe it.

A caravan showed up from the west. Ballpoint marks, heavily armed guards. We might actually get something decent to drink. I am a little concerned though: The caravan is composed of a mix of elves and goblins. And they didn't seem to keen on doing business with the Parasol fella who came up to buy ammo for his fancy handgun. But, they did bring the parts for a computer and some datachips.

I remember my uncle Bomrek having one of those and making stubguns for the local militia. Never understood why they were called that, but I think he said something about the leftovers from the spent ammo being the "stub" that gives the weaposn their name.

12th Moonstone, 318

Two more caravans arrived. One I was kind of expecting, even if it's staffed by elves: A parasolian caravan arrived with a fair stock of drink. One of the mercs said she called them, figuring we needed the supplies. The second I wasn't expecting: Norsemen.

We've never been on especially good terms with them. Kind of... Schizophrenic, I guess is the way some of the Ballpointers call it. One year we'd be perfect trade partners, and the next we have the bastards marching in and torching hillocks left and right and marching off with all the crops and other valuables, and then they'd be back next two years to buy things again.

Speaking of, since a wagon just got clipped by a low-flying penguin, we will probably be blamed for an attack on their caravan.

13th Moonstone, 318

I did it. Got my hands on those stubgun schematics! I even managed to get something a little more exotic in the food department: Ten wheels of kangaroo cheese. I looked over the data on the terminal the caravan master was willing to package with the chip, and it seems we got one of the more common designs. Bolt-action, wood stock, ten shot mags, bayonet lugs, all normal to me.

27th Moonstone, 318

Got a report of one of our first sell-able masterworks, a dingo bone crown made by that migrant Gwolfski. I'm sure come spring some random elf will end up buying it.

3rd Opal, 318

We're moving the pumps into the gym. Mr Frog is all kinda of happy.

15 Opal, 318

Started taking down names for the hat draw. A little eary, maybe, but better to be prepared.

17th Opal, 318

Finally gotten around to getting Morgan suited up in her new armor. She seems pleased, although she's complaining that some of the straps seem like they made for someone a bit chunkier than her. Also got Fallacy and Lefton fitted with thier own combat helmets. It'll probably take some getting used to with the built-in radios; always throws us for a loop. Hell, I grew up working with my uncle on the stuff and still jump a little bit when I hear people on radios.

27th Opal, 318

Got the miners working on building a chapel of sorts. Slots in a hallway before entering for statues honoring the gods, and a nice wide entry space to gather for worship and to talk. I wonder if anyone will want the job of being a high priest?

12th Obsidian, 318

Hard to believe it's been almost a year. We started work on a modest firing position overlooking the main entrance. Hopefully the ramps I asked Nakeen to dig will allow reasonable access to it.

19th Obsidian, 318

The chapel is hollowed! Such as it is. Can't open it in good conscience since it lacks any amenities, but still.

27th Obsidian, 318

More or less finished the firing station! we paved it over with nice applewood and glumprong flooring to keep trees from growing in and to mark where the shooters need to stand. I'll have Reudh carve the firing ports before long, probably as my last order as overseer. I also forgot to mention the food stores are complete, and quite aesthetically pleasing on the maps I've set up around the fort.

1st Granite, 318

Spring is here, and with it came the annual hat-draw of overseership. I let everyone know, and then dumped a big bag of names and random objects into the hat and whatever I drew was to be the next overseer. It drew Mr Frog. With that, I will literally throw the book at him at the new years party and wish him luck. And ask him not to get me killed in a construction accident since I commissioned that shiny titanium sword of his.

And finally, at long last, we are finished! With the first year. Sorry it took so long. BEtween relatives, work, and the heat just kinda sapping my will to live and getting pretty drunk the other day, it took far longer than expected.

I was wrong about the armor, and Morgan needs to be ordered to ditch her gloves. But she has basically 3/5 of a combat armor suit. We also have an area to set up a chapel, all the basic spaces for a tavern and guest rooms plus more rooms to stuff residents into once we get more beds done. We also need to relocate out wood and metal works indoors, and move our stone cutting and crafting further down, out of the depot.

Fallacy's squad also needs crossbows and a quiver or two. We also need a hospital, a well or two, and smoothing out all sorts of shit. The militia could also use real armor so I'd advise looking for even copper veins. We also managed to score stubgun schematics, and Lefton and Fallacy have combat helmets, allowing Mr Frog and Talvieno to get bronze ones instead of leather helmets.

At any rate, here is the save.

Also, is there anyone missing from the turn or impending dorfs list?

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
« Reply #196 on: July 03, 2016, 05:51:22 pm »

I'm missing, and I asked twice, ill edit this with when i asked.

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=159049.msg7066765#msg7066765
« Last Edit: July 03, 2016, 05:53:13 pm by Gwolfski »
Eventually when you go far enough the insane start becoming the sane

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: July 03, 2016, 07:57:30 pm »

Okay dude s, I have the save and it looks like the FPS isn't too too horrible (floating at 40 for me, which consdiering my computer is carp isn't too bad for this bersion -- clear-cutting some of the trees will probably help a lot. I am a bit concerned about early FPS death but I suppose if things get really bad we can just abandon and restart with a smaller site.

Unfotunately I am operating on a roghly 17-hour sleep deficit right now and can literaly barely fucking type so any fortress play will unfotreunetly (<-- fuck it I tried 3 times) will have to wait until tomorriw. E: I know that 's become kind of a running theme here but I don't think DF is currently an intellectual possibility for me.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2016, 07:59:03 pm by Mr Frog »
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Spawn of Holistic, and other mods

My tileset. Because someone asked. (Now with installation instructions!)
I so want your spawn babies

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: July 03, 2016, 08:24:39 pm »

Honestly though, with your character, playing while intellectually drained might actually be more RP-appropriate.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: July 03, 2016, 09:59:37 pm »

Yah, but for the whole year? I mean, even the most intellectually drained individuals have a spark of genus now and then.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: July 03, 2016, 11:13:58 pm »

May not be the place, but since I don't care if others plug their stuff between turns or during slow points, I'd like to direct you guys this ways.

A couple civ mods I'm working on, sorta.

You get to see a preview of sorts of the Norsemen, in that they function and will trade with you circumstance permitting. I figured I'd poke you all here where I know you'll see and see if I can't get some help, comments, ideas, etc, etc.

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: July 04, 2016, 09:33:47 am »

Okay, so, I've had a good night's sleep for the first time in days and will be starting my playthrough shortly.

Additionally, Splint has given me permission to go into the raws and figure out what the fuck happened with the birds. As far as I can tell, this is what the fuck happened with the birds (problem area highlighted for convenience):

Spoiler: hugesuccess.txt (click to show/hide)

As far as I can tell, this is the only area affected. So far as I can tell, the square brackets around CREATURE:BIRD_FALCON_PEREGRINE were removed, in an attempt to remove peregrines from the game. Which, in a sense, worked, since a new creature entry wasn't declared. However, since the peregrine's tags weren't removed, this caused them to simply be appended onto the end* of the previous creature definition -- BIRD_PENGUIN_GIANT, in this case.

So, I'm sure all/most/some/none of you are wondering: "But Mr Frog-sama, what the sweet holy fuckballs does this mean?"

To which I answer: I have no fucking clue. I don't have a firm enough grasp of how castes, among other things, work to say exactly what the implications of this are or what properties our horrible frankenbird may have. All I can say is that this thing has four castes, fractal bodies for both falcon castes, and is probably tameable.

(In a twist of fate, since the peregrine's names and sizes are declared on a caste-specific level, both the giant penguin- and peregrine-derived castes retain their native names and body sizes.)

Oh, and in case you thought I was exaggerating about the fractal bodies:

So that's two upper bodies and three lower bodies.  Yeah. It gets even worse as you go down:

For those keeping count, that is four fucking heads on this thing, with six wings if you count the penguin's flippers. We have accidentally modded cherubim. Hallelujah!

E: Wrong word

E2: Gonna hold off on playing till at least this evening, actually. Something came up.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2016, 10:11:25 am by Mr Frog »
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified geezer & only man to win 0.40.24
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: July 04, 2016, 11:25:34 am »

dear lord

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: July 04, 2016, 12:11:20 pm »

This is beautiful...

So, I feel like we need two things: To keep this wonder in existence, and to make fanart of it.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: July 04, 2016, 12:46:05 pm »

I accidentally created a horrible abomination to bird-kind.

Am... Am I a wizard now?

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: July 04, 2016, 12:59:39 pm »

This is beautiful...

So, I feel like we need two things: To keep this wonder in existence, and to make fanart of it.

I'm not even sure what the fuck this thing would even look like exactly. I'm pretty sure that it actually has two entirely-separate -- but mutually-vital -- bodies (kind of like this thing, except two components instead of three and instead of magnet-cyclopses its two roiling masses of limbs floating impossibly through the air as though animated by a malefic will), one of which is very slightly less complex than the other (in that it only has one lower body with subtended parts as opposed to two). Since it's the result of two body setups merged together, its body branches at each successive joint -- it has two upper bodies, three lower bodies, 8 upper legs, 10 lower legs, and 12 feet. (NOTE: I'm just guessing with all of this, since its part list is... somewhat difficult to understand) I shudder to imagine what its innards must look like.

The hilarious thing is, though, the penguin form is completely-normal in terms of body structure as far as I can tell. It's even got normal penguin coloration.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: July 04, 2016, 01:06:47 pm »

Good grief.

Now I want to see this experiment replicated for the entirety of the raws, for !!SCIENCE!!
« Last Edit: July 04, 2016, 01:09:44 pm by TheBiggerFish »
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Monitor Lisard

• Bay Watcher
  • You're a big lizard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: July 04, 2016, 01:16:36 pm »

This is beautiful...

I thought I had other, more important things to do.

But I am so drawing this.
ML's forum games and other good stuff

This artwork relates to the killing of the troll Ozyydif Kuilat by the cheese Eritoy Awexog in the early spring of 71

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: July 04, 2016, 01:26:06 pm »

There is no way we are harming these things. We must tame them. We shall become one with the cthulhu-falcons.

E: Also, if nobody nominates this for quotes or does anything with it (hell, probably even if they do) I'm putting it in my sig:

For those keeping count, that is four fucking heads on this thing, with six wings if you count the penguin's flippers. We have accidentally modded cherubim. Hallelujah!

This needs to be immortalised. I will never be able to say this again for as long as I live.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2016, 01:35:40 pm by Mr Frog »

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: July 04, 2016, 01:37:19 pm »

This is beautiful...

I thought I had other, more important things to do.

But I am so drawing this.

Huzzah!
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 50