Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: What long-standing bug do you most want fixed?  (Read 1538 times)

drh1138

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
What long-standing bug do you most want fixed?
« on: June 26, 2016, 07:41:25 am »

I think I'd like to see Animal Caretaking made relevant.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What long-standing bug do you most want fixed?
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2016, 08:26:30 am »

Are you counting all 67% of the unfinished part of the game as 'bug'?
In that case, I'd like to see, prettty much everything remaining implemented.

But as far as actual bugs go, I'd like unretirement to not cause visitor numbers to explode while throwing in merchants, wagons and neighbouring site residents randomly into your citizen lists. That would be nice.

Shinotsa

• Bay Watcher
  • Content lion is content
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2016, 08:41:32 am »

I'd like to see bolts able to be reclaimed and used properly. Right now I believe each single reclaimed bolt acts as a stack, and thus if you mass reclaim loot on a battlefield you wind up with an army of marksdwarves with 1 bolt in their quiver.

As for newer bugs, it'd be nice for animals to not get the yellow distracted symbol (!) when in pasture. All of those flashing distracted symbols are.... well, distracting.
Quote from: EvilTim
"You shouldn't anthropomorphize vehicles. They hate it"

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2016, 08:53:27 am »

Off the top of my head: The rest of the bin issues.

One tasked item leaves the whole bin unusable. It's very difficult to get items out of bins, especially when your stockpile settings have changed. Bins steal items from non-linked non-bin stockpiles. (Seed bags have a similar issue.)
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2016, 11:14:21 am »

Any of the various graphics bugs. Toady has indicated that he doesn't properly understand the graphics code, Baughn has no interest in further contributions, and most graphics bugs are flagged as minor. Some of them are highly visible yet improbably rarely discussed. For example:

With graphics enabled, military units show up with the mason/stoneworker graphic on the status screen, making half of the "legend" useless for many players.
With graphics enabled, the player character and many NPCs and adventurers all continually flash blue in adventure mode. I don't really understand how people play Adventure mode with graphics enabled without going crazy. I find the constant blinking very distracting.

While not a bug, I'd also love to see some of the odd dependencies of the graphics code cleaned up (GTK, OpenGL, reliance on glibc) and ncurses support added for people without X11 (or playing over SSH). This has all already been fixed, it just needs to be merged into base.

I've also never been a fan of the "chimney stack volcanoes" I see generated reasonably often, but I don't know if that's considered a bug or not. They look bad enough that I avoid volcano embarks. At the very least, the "lip" of the volcano shouldn't be taller than the rest of the mountain it generated in.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2016, 12:17:03 pm by Taffer »

Melting Sky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2016, 07:52:16 pm »

The pathing bug or bugs that are killing FPS. It's hard to tell what is causing what and if more than one bug is involved but there seems to be a lot of bugs that can be traced back to various pathing issues. I think a lot of issues with dwarven jobs not getting assigned or done properly probably start with some sort of pathing issue. A lot of the FPS loss bugs, dwarves stranded in trees, dwarves needs not getting met despite the means being present, etc. have some sort of pathing error involved.

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2016, 08:11:02 pm »

I'm not sure the pathing issues are bugs per se, but I too am of the opinion that this is what most needs to be fixed in the game. Easily said but probably a royal pain to implement.

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2016, 09:07:53 pm »

With graphics enabled, military units show up with the mason/stoneworker graphic on the status screen, making half of the "legend" useless for many players.
With graphics enabled, the player character and many NPCs and adventurers all continually flash blue in adventure mode. I don't really understand how people play Adventure mode with graphics enabled without going crazy. I find the constant blinking very distracting.

I vote for this one too.

I'm not sure the pathing issues are bugs per se, but I too am of the opinion that this is what most needs to be fixed in the game. Easily said but probably a royal pain to implement.

Yeah, it's not a bug. Pathfinding is usually CPU intensive. It's a difficult problem to solve without using lots of CPU. There was one mod for Minecraft that had a clever solution though. Corosus wrote the pathfinding for it. Here's something I wrote about it earlier:

The Koa AI utilizes an ingenious design that both minimizes computational time and allows them to pick paths in a more human-like manner. Instead of calculating the best path from their current location to their destination (taking lots of computer processing for distant locations), they instead calculate a path towards a nearer point in the general direction of their destination. In this way entire paths don't have to be recalculated every time a dangerous group of monsters is encountered or some blocks along the course of their path have been modified.

I'm not sure how well that would work in the confined spaces of a fortress. I guess it shouldn't be too bad as long as it's not organized like a maze. And dwarves getting lost in a confusing fortress might be funny.

ORCACommander

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:TORTURE_ELVES: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2016, 09:46:18 pm »

I've also never been a fan of the "chimney stack volcanoes" I see generated reasonably often, but I don't know if that's considered a bug or not. They look bad enough that I avoid volcano embarks. At the very least, the "lip" of the volcano shouldn't be taller than the rest of the mountain it generated in.
technically a bug but its more a manipulation of minimum and maximum values in world gen. at their default smoke stack magma tubes should only exist extremely rarely. But indeed the tube generation seems to be the one geological feature to defy physical laws.

DeKaFu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2016, 10:37:23 pm »

No, I agree with this one. I realize animal caretaking isn't implemented yet, but then why does the animal caretaker skill exist at all? Most things that were not implemented fully were either removed entirely (see: economy) or at least given one small niche function. But animal caretaker does nothing. I'd say the bug is that dwarves are still generating with a skill that hasn't been implemented yet, and it's been that way for years. Either add a function or remove the skill until it's added. :/
(For that matter, remove animals from the healthcare screen until it's added as well.)

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2016, 11:57:34 pm »

No, I agree with this one. I realize animal caretaking isn't implemented yet, but then why does the animal caretaker skill exist at all? Most things that were not implemented fully were either removed entirely (see: economy) or at least given one small niche function. But animal caretaker does nothing. I'd say the bug is that dwarves are still generating with a skill that hasn't been implemented yet, and it's been that way for years. Either add a function or remove the skill until it's added. :/
(For that matter, remove animals from the healthcare screen until it's added as well.)
I see what you mean, but still, there's a lot of "placeholder"' systems (including the whole fortress mode labours thing), that will be replaced someday. Easier to deal with them all at once when the new system comes in than hide the menu options/skills that aren't used yet (possibly making it easy to forget about them and have the feature never be implemented).

Like, there's a menu option in adventurer to define your building as a temple or a tavern. Does nothing - unfinished feature.

There's also an option in fortress mode to link bedrooms to temples and libraries. Does nothing - unfinished feature (possibly - filed a bug report just in case).

DF is full of these. They'll all do something someday. Or be replaced by an entirely different system.

Findulidas

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL:OFFTOPIC:5][NOTHOUGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2016, 12:33:32 am »

To be fair its fixing all the uncesserary humongous fps drains. We all know what kills most forts and its not goblins or bronze colossuses, its rarely fun nowadays. Its the pathfinding system dwarves have, the stockpiles somehow eating huge amounts of fps, the clothes seemingly getting checked for how worn they are every tick and so on. If toady could do a massive improvement on dwarf fortress it would be improving on these issues. Yes, any other game and these would obviously be called issues.
...wonderful memories of the creeping sense of dread...

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2016, 02:06:51 am »

I'd be happy if the updates started focusing on performance boosts. When Steve Jobs announced that Mac OS X Snow Leopard had no new features from the previous version and that they had been focusing solely on bug fixes and performance boosts, he got a standing ovation. Working on bugs and performance might be kind of boring stuff to work on, though.

ORCACommander

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:TORTURE_ELVES: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2016, 12:14:14 pm »

and toady has admitted that a failing of his is that he gets bored of bug fixing quickly and promptly moves on to Shiny New Features sooner than he should

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2016, 01:17:20 pm »

People mentioned pathing already, but I'll chime in with a set of specific bugs related to pathing that I would like to see fixed, which are related:

1. People getting stuck in trees
2. Fliers getting stuck on top of things they can fly off of

The problem in both cases is that if there's no direct path on the ground to get somewhere, people think they can't go there and will happily stay stuck.  Supposedly once they get thirsty or hungry enough, or at other unpredictable intervals, the climbing and jumping code gets evaluated and they may climb out of the tree.

In its current state it just makes playing fort mode near trees really frustrating, and if you play with modded flying species then it's a nightmare.  I know that's not part of the vanilla game so I can excuse Toady or not making it a priority, but it's the thing that keeps me from really playing DF right now.
Through pain, I find wisdom.
Pages: [1] 2