Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: *sigh* 22 dwarves for my first immigration...  (Read 1660 times)

Ari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
*sigh* 22 dwarves for my first immigration...
« on: January 30, 2008, 06:40:00 pm »

Thats what I get for letting my stonecrafter sit for a year in the workshop making stone crafts....

Fenrir

Re: *sigh* 22 dwarves for my first immigration...
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2008, 06:53:00 pm »

Was the stonecrafter proficient?

Ari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2008, 07:19:00 pm »

Unfortunately he was. I read about how when your fortress is more wealthy, you get more immigrants, so I should have been ready for this...Well, there goes that strategy, because even if I can completely buy out the caravans....I can't survive when my population quadruples >.>

Any tips for a newbie? I just cant get a fortress to survive for more than two or three years.

Sularus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2008, 07:28:00 pm »

Draft all unwanted dwarves and all peasants into the military, station them on a bridge overlooking magma, and pull the lever

Flok Speargrabber

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2008, 07:40:00 pm »

FARM.

Farm farm farm.

Booooooze.

Farm booze.

Booze farm?

Ari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2008, 08:18:00 pm »

@Sularus

I have never gotten far enough to find magma >.>

And farming wasn't the problem. I had no water around, and they drank all the booze....twas a sad sight.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2008, 09:42:00 pm »

Have them make more booze.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Ari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2008, 12:17:00 am »

Update on my 2nd try. For a nice sized fort going, a year in. Something that helps here is that I am almost swimming in silver, and I found coal (so I dont have to use my precious wood), so now I am able to buy most of what I need.

Sofaspud

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2008, 02:06:00 am »

I'm a bit puzzled.  It sounds like you're having problems keeping booze in stock.  In the current (and recent) versions, it's almost impossible NOT to, unless you either set yourself a challenge (No Farm Fortress!) OR you forget to build and operate a Still.

Farms are so productive, and so easy right now, that you almost have to work at it to run out of booze.

For clarification's sake: are you operating farms?  If so, are you brewing the results?  And finally, are you allowing the dwarves to cook the seeds?  (If you ARE cooking the seeds, you might have problems, at least at first.)

Or am I completely misunderstanding your problems?  Definitely possible...  :)

Can't... stop... laughing...:<BR>"... but at least in DF if Elves chained themselves to trees it would just mean an extra ax stroke or two." --Forumsdwarf<BR>"Would the owner of the red GCS silk socks, please pick them the f*** up, you left your FPS void on." --MadJax

Foxy111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2008, 05:08:00 am »

another potential problem is letting dwarves cook the wine... but, I agree, as long as you keep your kitchen under control, a small farm should easily be able to keep any number of dwarves happily fed and watered

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2008, 06:22:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Foxy111:
<STRONG>another potential problem is letting dwarves cook the wine... but, I agree, as long as you keep your kitchen under control, a small farm should easily be able to keep any number of dwarves happily fed and boozed</STRONG>

Fixed it.
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Javis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2008, 10:54:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Sofaspud:
<STRONG>I'm a bit puzzled.  It sounds like you're having problems keeping booze in stock.  In the current (and recent) versions, it's almost impossible NOT to, unless you either set yourself a challenge (No Farm Fortress!) OR you forget to build and operate a Still.</STRONG>

Another problem is not having enough wood to make beds AND barrels.  A solution to this is to order a bunch of wood from the human merchants.

Or, if you have a fuel source other than charcoal (coke, magma) make metal barrels.

[ January 31, 2008: Message edited by: Javis ]

Slappy Moose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2008, 10:13:00 pm »

Dude, that's awesome. I would rather get 30, but 22 is still really good.
Zaneg Thazor: Armok Reincarnate Story http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=19291.msg196691#msg196691

[Healthcare Update Thread] Personally, I can't wait for doctors to get possessed and start surgically attaching axes to champion soldier's arms.

Ari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2008, 04:54:00 am »

Okay, 2nd fortress, 2nd try. Doing much better. Year 1057, a nice population of 48, and while I still cannot find anything to make armor out of, things are going well. Maintaining 6 5x5 farms and keeping them fully planted. Have a full time cook and brewer, have 5 legendary miners (I must really be looking in the wrong place for that ore...) and a small squad of well trained macedwarves. I almost wish I would hit a siege of some sort.

But still...I have too many stones and haven't found a nice ravine to toss them into...

[EDIT] Also...I have 6 stonecrafters just making stone crafts year round...but I still have around 10k stones lying about now >.>

[EDIT] Hmmm...my novice miner/dabbling grower just entered a mood and apparently found everything he needed. Just began construction...what could it be?

[ February 01, 2008: Message edited by: Ari ]

Ari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2008, 11:48:00 pm »

Okay....here it is. My 2nd fortress has fallen. After a few immigration waves, my brewery couldn't produce enough to keep up with everyone, so I added a few brewers. Then my carpenters couldn't keep up with the demand for barrels, so I added a few carpenters, and this process continued. Goblin siege came, wiped out my macedwarves and wreaked havoc on the rest of my dwarves. :S