Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: My dwarves are eating spiders!?  (Read 2183 times)

Matias

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
My dwarves are eating spiders!?
« on: October 22, 2007, 08:14:00 am »

I was trapping in cave river for lobsters and cave fish to be put into my aquarium. I did get them and I also got a couple of cave spiders. Well, I didn't need the traps anymore, so I left them into the traps in animal stockpile. Suddenly, during the game I realize one of them is missing. I shrug and assume that it died or something. After few months I actually see one dwarf coming to the animal stockpile, crab the spider, go to the table and eat it. I was dumb struck. I have a lot of food so (s)he just couldn't be hunting for vermin. As far as I know, spiders don't show in kitchen as edible/cookable like lobsters do... Has anyone other had this kind of behavior in their forts...

-Matias

Ps. As an afterthought, I have seen S.-American indians eating tarantulas, so it isn't so horrid after all, just weird...

pushy

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER]
    • View Profile
Re: My dwarves are eating spiders!?
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2007, 08:39:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Matias:
<STRONG>Ps. As an afterthought, I have seen S.-American indians eating tarantulas, so it isn't so horrid after all, just weird...</STRONG>
Not for those of a nervous disposition:
:p

As for the issue with dwarves eating your cave spiders, I'd guess that the caged vermin are essentially considered as "food", and the dwarves were nearer to the animal stockpile than the food stockpile.

Quote from: Tim Edwards, PC Gamer UK
There are three things I know about dwarves:
1. They've got beards. Even the women.
2. They're short. Especially the women.
3. They're Scottish.

JT

• Bay Watcher
  • Explosively Canadian
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jtgibson.ca/df/
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2007, 09:45:00 am »

I've had dwarves eat caged vermin before.  Mine was more disturbing: he ate a live, large roach.  I watched him go and get it, since my animal stockpile was stowed way off near my gatehouse due to general lack of use.
"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, 'You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.'" --George Carlin

Blue Eagle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2007, 01:19:00 pm »

Sometimes ya just need a little extra protein in your diet.

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2007, 02:12:00 pm »

You know, I always wondered where my caged spiders and fire snakes went while I waited for the dungeon master to show up and tame them. now I know, but somehow I think I was better off wondering.
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2007, 02:20:00 pm »

I had one of these too.  I was wondering what happened to that @#$% fire snake I had in a terrarium in the middle of a fancy dining-room.  I guess some dwarf just grumbled about the lack of chairs.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2007, 09:27:00 pm »

Its normal.  They are considered food items for some reason.  Sticking them in a locked room is really all you can do.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

axus

• Bay Watcher
  • Axe Murderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2007, 12:57:00 pm »

Learn something new about this game all the time... ewwwwwww

Arkan15

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2007, 08:44:00 pm »

Fish heads
Fish heads
Roly-poly fish heads
Fish heads
Fish heads
Eat them up, yum
IP AND TEAR YOUR GUTS!
YOU ARE HUGE! THAT MEANS YOU HAVE HUGE GUTS!

Mzbundifund

• Bay Watcher
  • Doesn't play adventurer mode
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2007, 08:19:00 pm »

It's happened to me too.  I was looking at one of my favorite dwarves' thoughts, and saw that he liked chipmunks, so I thought, "By golly, I'm going to tame you a chipmunk."

Two years later I had caught maybe three chipmunks, and dozens and dozens of grey squirrels.  I had fished the river dry and butchered at least 20 kittens baiting those traps, and every single freaking chipmunk was snuck out of its cage and eaten.

That fort's still going and one day I will do it.

Gakidou

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2007, 09:52:00 pm »

Dwarves should really only eat vermin from cages if they don't have anything else to eat, or at the very least there should be a "don't eat this" tag for cages. (I can't remember if that is something being implemented for the next release or not.)

Faces of Mu

• Bay Watcher
  • I once saw a baby ghost...but it was just a tissue
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2007, 10:22:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Gakidou:
<STRONG>Dwarves should really only eat vermin from cages if they don't have anything else to eat, or at the very least there should be a "don't eat this" tag for cages. (I can't remember if that is something being implemented for the next release or not.)</STRONG>

Hmmm...Sounds a bit Elfy to me!!

On another derail: Why DO ppl hate elves so much? Is it just because they attacked the elves and were very very sorry they did? It seems like those people who really hate unmarked police cars/ppl: if you didn't do bad things, then the authorities wouldn't have a problem with you, and everyone's happy!
 :D

hapes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2007, 01:13:00 pm »

I don't like the elves because they tell me how to run my fortress.  Stupid pointy eared freaks telling me not to cut down trees.  

Mind you, I agree to their demands simply because I know that I won't ever cut down that many trees per year in this fortress again.  I don't need that much wood.

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jonathansfox.com/
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2007, 01:28:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Faces of Mu:
<STRONG>

On another derail: Why DO ppl hate elves so much? Is it just because they attacked the elves and were very very sorry they did? It seems like those people who really hate unmarked police cars/ppl: if you didn't do bad things, then the authorities wouldn't have a problem with you, and everyone's happy!
  :D</STRONG>

I like the elves and like to coexist with them. I wish they had better things to trade. A caravan with nothing but cloth is just underwhelming.

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2007, 01:55:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Faces of Mu:
<STRONG>
  :D</STRONG>

First: they are ignorant. They name trees and pretend they are sentient creatures. Hello! no central nervous system!

Second: They enforce their stupid beliefs on others at arrowpoint. Don't cut down our trees or die! (despite the trees being mushrooms inside MY fortress). They are not authorities and I don't do bad things, but they have a problem with me anyway.

Third: They are hypocrites. I can't trade them a single wooden splinter, but it's OK for them to sell me all the plant material they have.

Fourth: They are worthless as trading partners, wanting to trade stupid cloth and some berries for high quality dwarven goods. Oh hello! want these stacks of cloth that you could have 10907568957698 of by growing pig tails for 1 season?

Fifth: They prance. Just watch them.

There, 5 good reasons. There are plenty more.

An ambush! curse all friends of nature!
Pages: [1] 2