Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Reanimated head skin == fort death  (Read 3586 times)

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Reanimated head skin == fort death
« on: June 23, 2016, 05:44:32 pm »

Has anyone found a workaround for the utterly fort-destroying animated bits that can't be pulped, killed, or harmed in any way?  This basically renders any fort unplayable in a reanimating zone.
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Reanimated head skin == fort death
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2016, 05:54:55 pm »

Cage traps to catch them, then put them in some form of creature smasher

freeze

• Bay Watcher
  • nominal
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2016, 06:58:28 pm »

Had to memory edit a reanimated goblin head on a tree to get rid of it. Most of them climbed the tree to get at it, couldn't cut the tree down, couldn't build a way up, couldn't even collapse the tree due to it being on a tree near my main stairwell entrance and everyone outside after fighting off the siege.

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2016, 07:13:55 pm »

Has anyone found a workaround for the utterly fort-destroying animated bits that can't be pulped, killed, or harmed in any way?  This basically renders any fort unplayable in a reanimating zone.
Here's a glib & sarcastic answer:
Yes.
I don't play in re-animating biomes. :(
I check the status of this bug every day, patiently waiting for re-animating biomes to be viable, once again.

Findulidas

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL:OFFTOPIC:5][NOTHOUGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2016, 02:59:42 am »

If you have dfhack you can put the kursor on the skin and type "exterminate him". The skin instantly is vaporized or slain. Works for all creatures, but I only use it for bugged creatures such as this.
You can also type "exterminate undead" and it slays all undead on the map. Although that will of course also destroy other undead which arent bugged.

I usually think cheating makes the game much more boring but when its so blatantly bugged like this its fair.
...wonderful memories of the creeping sense of dread...

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2016, 03:55:06 am »

As Findulidas said, "exterminate him/her" will kill it. And, like Findulidas, I consider it a fair counter to a horrible bug, as long as you refrain from using it on the parts that aren't head.

As been mentioned above, cage traps work, and once caged you can build the cage, hook it to a lever, and release the bug onto a garbage compactor (a.k.a. atom smasher). You can, of course, also atom smash the cage or or burn the cage with magma, but then you run the risk of masterworks destruction.

@freeze: You can get rid of a tree by hitting it with a ballista arrow. That completely disintegrates the tree (and if it was standing in water, there will be a hole in the water, until waves cause the walls to collapse). I use that method to get rid of cavern trees standing in water and blocking me from obsidianize cavern lake map edges.

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2016, 06:25:38 am »

Agreed, I think it's a legit use of DFHack, I was just hoping that there was a non-hacky solution (since I'm playing .43.04 haha)

Thanks for the bug link... I will join you in meditating on its strong thwartish vibrations.
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Military Master
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2016, 08:55:12 am »

I though macedwarfs could actually pump these heads when they got reworked. My last reanimator biome didn't have the usual unkillable undead, but its possible I got lucky.
Quote from: TheFlame52
Fucking hell man, you aren't just getting the short end of the stick, you're being beaten with it.
Quote from: NRDL
Is your plan really to flush water into hell, and have the CARP marines fight them without threat of flame or disease?  If so, you are awesome, and one of the greatest DF military visionaries I've seen yet ( not that I've seen that many, or any, for that matter )

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2016, 09:38:39 am »

This fort didn't have any macedwarves, so I can neither confirm nor deny your assertion.

I did have a dwarf who was a Competent PIKEMAN, though, so... I'm not sure what Toady is doing with weapon skills tbh.  Urist McBuddy was pretty good with a weapon I had no way to make, and was not near enough to the humans to trade for.  Thanks, RNG!

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2016, 11:01:26 am »

Aren't pikes too large for dwarves to wield as well?

The best non hacky solution I can provide comes from the forum:
Surround (as in directly adjacent) your butchery, tannery, and spinning farmer's workshops with cage traps, and have a disposal facility just nearby (I used a chute with an atom smasher at the bottom). Whenever you butcher something, have the militia stationed in the area, and process the remains immediately. Regardless, you'll get animated part from time to time. The militia will make short work of any non head reanimated parts, while the head ones require cage trapping and suitable disposal.
The cage traps around the workshops serve two purposes: They catch many of the reanimated thingies, and the civilian dwarves will sometimes dodge and get caught, and thus get out of harm (provided you release them in a timely manner).
One annoying thing is that killed reanimated bits (in particular original skin) tends to multiply on "death" into head, leg, etc. parts, and some of these bits get stuck in workshops, so you have to dismantle and rebuild the workshops to get the pieces out (and I suspect reanimation will get them out by magic).

freeze

• Bay Watcher
  • nominal
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2016, 01:13:02 am »

Here's a glib & sarcastic answer:
Yes.
I don't play in re-animating biomes. :(
I check the status of this bug every day, patiently waiting for re-animating biomes to be viable, once again.

I was in a normal savage biome near a tower. Trees are the real enemy here =P

I though macedwarfs could actually pump these heads when they got reworked. My last reanimator biome didn't have the usual unkillable undead, but its possible I got lucky.

Maybe. Is it mace-specific? I was getting pages of this
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Where cleaving or a pulping action might be expected there was ... nothing.

@freeze: You can get rid of a tree by hitting it with a ballista arrow. That completely disintegrates the tree (and if it was standing in water, there will be a hole in the water, until waves cause the walls to collapse). I use that method to get rid of cavern trees standing in water and blocking me from obsidianize cavern lake map edges.

I wanted to recover manually but it just wasn't happening. People with picks were in the tree ignoring station and burrow. Noone else could get back into the fort proper. I tried letting units get panicked and activating them some distance away, thinking they would be unable to climb with both hands full, then setting station/kill/burrow by turns inside the fort. They all climbed. I think it's down to having such a small pop at the time. That and not keeping trees cut back properly doh

Melting Sky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2016, 09:00:56 am »

If you have dfhack you can put the kursor on the skin and type "exterminate him". The skin instantly is vaporized or slain. Works for all creatures, but I only use it for bugged creatures such as this.
You can also type "exterminate undead" and it slays all undead on the map. Although that will of course also destroy other undead which arent bugged.

I usually think cheating makes the game much more boring but when its so blatantly bugged like this its fair.

There is a difference between cheating and using a hack tool to fix known bugs.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2016, 10:38:14 am »

There is a difference between cheating and using a hack tool to fix known bugs.
Pretty sure killing an enemy that could end your fort and requires a complicated setup to kill otherwise after they are present qualifies for cheating, whether they're bit of yak hair or a steel spider.

It may also be counted as bug, sure, but lets be fair - most bugs and features will remain for the foreseeable future and lot are over half a decade old. At that point, it definitely qualifies for part of the vanilla experience =D

(I'd still love hack to fix uniform conflict tho, would greatly simplify no-clothes fort without bad thoughts.)

Though, hair can be easier to deal with than steel spiders at inception. Here is a proposed setup:
Spoiler: Legend (click to show/hide)
Z1
▒. .  .
▒ . B .
▒ ▼ .  .
Z0
▒^ ^^
▒^ ▒^
O▲ ^^
. O▒
Up ramp can also contain here stockpile for caged undead/reanimatable bits.

If it has escaped, though, then perhaps using cage traps and digging upwards from beneath to bait it?
It would likely give one of your random dwarves mechanic experience however, as you won't be able to spare your mechanic beating on hair.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2016, 10:57:11 am by Fleeting Frames »

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2016, 12:07:51 pm »

I don't consider it a part of the normal experience because:

1) there's no effective way to kill it, unlike all other legitimate enemies (FBs, weres, etc.) - "hard" is one thing, "impossible" is another, and
2) it is guaranteed to cause fort death, because all your dwarves run over to it and start beating it, stop eating and drinking, etc., thus
3) there's no way to deal with it once it appears, since anyone who could get close enough to trap it starts whaling on it until they pass out.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2016, 01:35:00 pm »

....What do you use to kill firebreathing steel spiders that doesn't work on reanimated skin? n.n°

Or is it ´exterminate him´ for both? I suppose it does make planning defences a bit simpler...
Pages: [1] 2