Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Progressive Rock: But Dinosaurs are Cool, Though!  (Read 1924 times)

Madmachine

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarfputer Project FTW
    • View Profile
Progressive Rock: But Dinosaurs are Cool, Though!
« on: June 23, 2016, 11:40:46 am »

I would be surprised if a userbase for a forum for the most complex video game on the face of the earth wouldn't have some overlap with the scene of one of the most complex music genres on Earth.

So what is Progressive Rock?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

So what have you guys been listening to? What would you recommend?
I am a Grammar Communist. I believe that the means of word production (i.e: dictionaries) should be seized, for the good of the people.

We are succeeding. You can tell, because the Oxford English Dictionary made an emoji word of the year.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Progressive Rock: But Dinosaurs are Cool, Though!
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2016, 11:41:50 am »

Kansas all day, every day. For a pack of old men, they our on absolutely great concerts too.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2016, 11:57:01 am »

This of course: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPdlJFDpU6o

Best guitar solo I've heard. David Gilmour actually published a new solo album just a few months ago but I havent got to get it yet!
« Last Edit: June 23, 2016, 12:01:23 pm by Erkki »

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2016, 12:26:58 pm »

Oh boy could I make a recommendation dump here... Limiting myself to 'just this week', Camel, Opeth, Magma, Anglagard, Shub-Niggurath, King Crimson, and I'm probably forgetting something.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2016, 12:49:57 pm »

I was tempted to wait and see how long it took someone to mention Rush, but I was scared of what the answer might turn out to be.
Props for a song from the last wholly non-shit album. (fite me IRL if you disagree)

Rush was actually a gateway drug for me, as far as prog is concerned.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2016, 12:53:43 pm »

I'm pretty sure that Liquid Tension Experiment counts, but does Kingston Wall?

I don't think I've listened to much other than classical music and progressive rock for the last 10 years. Okay, some metal too.  :)

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2016, 01:12:25 pm »

I'm pretty sure that Liquid Tension Experiment counts, but does Kingston Wall?
I'd say so, it reminds me of Camel which officially counts.

Madmachine

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarfputer Project FTW
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2016, 01:28:19 pm »

Kansas all day, every day. For a pack of old men, they our on absolutely great concerts too.
Kansas was my mom's favorite band. She didn't really even know the term "progressive rock", but it turned out that she liked it the whole time.

It's said that not many women like progressive rock, or at least only recently is the gender ratio balancing out in progressive rock communities. That bewilders me. What really bewilders me is that much of the increase in female prog fans comes from immigrants from the metal scene via progressive metal! How come metal, which is second to nothing but gangster rap in unapologetic machismo, has a more balanced gender ratio than the contemplative and comparatively mild songs of prog.

E: What have I been listening to? Tull. Lots and lots of Tull. I've never been one to really take the word "pretentious" very similarly, but if I had to give you a "least pretentious progressive rock band" it would have to be Tull. Ah-BTHOO!
« Last Edit: June 23, 2016, 01:33:44 pm by Madmachine »
I am a Grammar Communist. I believe that the means of word production (i.e: dictionaries) should be seized, for the good of the people.

We are succeeding. You can tell, because the Oxford English Dictionary made an emoji word of the year.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2016, 02:03:24 pm »

Prog has historically been a very geeky subgenre. Quite stereotypically, if we're talking about a lot of the 'gateway' bands; I mean, Rush's first three albums include LOTR fanfics and sci-fi love letters to Ayn Rand. Even if it weren't even true in the majority of cases back in the 70s, the stereotype's a stereotype, with all that entailed.

Madmachine

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarfputer Project FTW
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2016, 02:32:05 pm »

Metal is nerdy too though, in its own way. Plenty of metal bands are and were fantasy-themed, and classic heavy metal itself takes some musical cues from progressive rock -- that's where metal gets its long songs and long guitar solos. It's just weird that, given the choice between two nerdy musical subcultures to participate in, more women gravitated towards the one where album covers looked like this, this or even this.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2016, 02:32:40 pm »

I was tempted to wait and see how long it took someone to mention Rush, but I was scared of what the answer might turn out to be.
Props for a song from the last wholly non-shit album. (fite me IRL if you disagree)

Rush was actually a gateway drug for me, as far as prog is concerned.

I've loved Rush since I got an mp3 player with this song preloaded onto it as a little kid, and they remain one of my favorite bands. They're also one of only a few groups who have a style distinctive enough to be immediately identified even if you've not heard that particular song before, and not just because of Lee's voice either.

I also wonder what it is about Signals that you dislike. A couple of songs there aren't great, but I wouldn't go so far as to say they're bad either. Now that I type it out I guess it is kinda meh on the whole. Huh.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Vilanat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2016, 02:54:58 pm »

Epitaph was basically me and my friends Anthem at our youth (THE FATE OF ALL MANKIND I SEE IS IN THE HANDS OF FOOOOOLS) and i was obsessed with Pink Floyd and very much liked Tull and Renaissance's Scheherazade but for some reason as i got older, progressive rock has gradually weakened its hold on me and i now find myself preferring Blues and Folk rock.

SirQuiamus

• Bay Watcher
  • Keine Experimente!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2016, 03:11:13 pm »

prog < krautrock

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2016, 04:04:40 pm »

I also wonder what it is about Signals that you dislike. A couple of songs there aren't great, but I wouldn't go so far as to say they're bad either. Now that I type it out I guess it is kinda meh on the whole. Huh.
I don't think Signals is bad as a whole, I actually very much love Subdivisions and The Weapon, I just don't think it's good - meh, like you said, after a pretty much unbroken string of good albums culminating in Moving Pictures. You can really tell Terry Brown's departure affected the music from that point onwards.

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2016, 04:33:20 pm »

Liquid Tension Experiment
Speaking of, there's Dream Theater. Though that's progressive metal, not sure if you're wanting to count that.

Yeh and James LaBrie needs to learn to sing.  :)

I used to like them more before and they do have some good albums. Images and Words, Awake and Metropolis pt 2. I'm not sure what happened after those but I dislike the last 2.
Pages: [1] 2