Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 13

Author Topic: Scorchedgravel - Swimming Towards The Next Generation  (Read 16906 times)

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
  • Гномовержец Enjoyed throwing someone recently
    • View Profile
Re: Scorchedgravel - Breeding The Next Generation
« Reply #90 on: June 30, 2016, 08:08:15 am »

PTW.

The Blockaded Buck, huh?
"From now on this Buck is Blockaded from whole herd of Does (not like we have plenty of them, though) and restricted to his Fiancee."

Did you know that the Russian word for "sock" is "no sock"?
I just saw a guy with two broken legs push a minecart with a corpse in it. Yeah.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: June 30, 2016, 08:09:20 am »

Dog leather journal?

How many did you butcher, butcher?

Speaking of which, what's the kennel for?

As for that archery tower...Won't the invaders dig through it, hm? The bolts will not kill them by the time they reach the walls, assuming they don't go diagonally straight to below from map edge.

Though it is still useful against giant wildlife and preparation for accidents. Mm, giant buzzards.

Though Mistem will probably be the happiest with four dozen rose gold bars produced in the fortress. She gets to personally work on them, on top of being a mother!

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Military Master
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #92 on: June 30, 2016, 08:21:22 am »

Dog leather journal?

How many did you butcher, butcher?

Speaking of which, what's the kennel for?

As for that archery tower...Won't the invaders dig through it, hm? The bolts will not kill them by the time they reach the walls, assuming they don't go diagonally straight to below from map edge.

Though it is still useful against giant wildlife and preparation for accidents. Mm, giant buzzards.

Though Mistem will probably be the happiest with four dozen rose gold bars produced in the fortress. She gets to personally work on them, on top of being a mother!

I actually built the kennels out of habit. When I started playing DF, you had to war train at them, and I always seem to build one before I remember I can war train with just an animal training zone. As it exists now, kennels aren't THAT useful, though I might just train up a trapper for the lolwut factor.

(a good trapper can catch faster than a fleet of cats can).

I've always wanted to legitimately train up a legendary animal dissector/fish cleaner. The former is hard, the later is borderline impossible (I've never seen a moghopper at all).

As for the archery tower, digInvaders is *very* slow in disassembling things, I think its 1/20th normal Dwarven speed. My plan is to build chains around the tower base, then attach the war dogs there. I may rig the dogs with cage traps or weapon traps. A dedicated attack MIGHT get through, but it will be a long time before the AI really ramps up the sieges. The problem I have to worry about is bolts going through armors. Gobllins and humans can bring iron armor, and 43.03 brings back full armor for enemies.

Invaders should path right to the dogs, and then get bolted to death. I kinda want to go with cage traps as it would allow me to catch megabeasts if there are any nearby, or anything that decides my dogs are tasty.

EDIT: NRDL, your offspring got the nickname Kahlish as it was next on the list. I still have two deferred dorfings left.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2016, 08:35:23 am by NCommander »
Quote from: TheFlame52
Fucking hell man, you aren't just getting the short end of the stick, you're being beaten with it.
Quote from: NRDL
Is your plan really to flush water into hell, and have the CARP marines fight them without threat of flame or disease?  If so, you are awesome, and one of the greatest DF military visionaries I've seen yet ( not that I've seen that many, or any, for that matter )

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: June 30, 2016, 08:38:28 am »

So, not unlearning not building kennels in 4 years....How many years have you played DF? I myself only started this year XD

That said, I'd value a dwarf higher than any amount of cats. Still, one possibility for legendary fish cleaner might be using a ghostly one - they would be able to path into water and catch.

And hm. So diginvaders doesn't actually dig at all, merely deconstruct? And that speed....Seems like it'd be more of a slight annoyance with targeting pathing than any threat to present or pre-planning overseer.

.....Ahahaha, bait wall + minecart trap = Everything sentient dies.

Granted, that's not really different from just the second, but this way one can force the enemy to come to your fortress instead of standing out far away from Indiana Jones' bad dream.

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #94 on: June 30, 2016, 08:49:41 am »

So, not unlearning not building kennels in 4 years....How many years have you played DF? I myself only started this year XD

That said, I'd value a dwarf higher than any amount of cats. Still, one possibility for legendary fish cleaner might be using a ghostly one - they would be able to path into water and catch.

And hm. So diginvaders doesn't actually dig at all, merely deconstruct? And that speed....Seems like it'd be more of a slight annoyance with targeting pathing than any threat to present or pre-planning overseer.

.....Ahahaha, bait wall + minecart trap = Everything sentient dies.

Granted, that's not really different from just the second, but this way one can force the enemy to come to your fortress instead of standing out far away from Indiana Jones' bad dream.

I officially started back with DF2010; Deathgate was my first turn here. I didn't play too much of DF2014 for awhile, I had save corruption kill a ten year old fort, and I ragequit for a very long time. I've also run 23a (2D) and 40d forts so its a fairly well engranerad habit.

digInvaders is meant to make turtling not a viable strategy while not being annoying; basically, you can't wall yourself off and call it good for 3-4 years, but its also trying to avoid making lots of holes in the scenery from enemy dig shafts. It's been awhile since I checked, but it also only kicks in when the game is in SEIGE mode, ambushes can't dig. They can dig and deconstruct to get to your dwarfs. The behavior of the AI is otherwise unchanged, they'll beeline for anything friendly on the map and try and kill it first. Thus the dogs should work as bait.

Trapping has some advantages. Vermin can be tamed, and if adopted as a pet, the dwarf will actually put the vermin on their shoulder so you don't need to worry about FPS lag, and if you get purring maggots, you can make the legendary Dwarven Cheese. You can also just set traps and capture vermin that way but its never worked very well for me when I've tried it. Unfortunately, its hard to get dwarfs to adopt ANYTHING for happiness bonuses; they'll only adopt their preferences.

EDIT: Trapping was somewhat more useful in 23a because you could trap the cave river and the chasm, and get a steady supply of vermin. It was actually possible to feed a fort off dwarven cheese alone if you were dedicated to it. In 3D versions, its hard to get enough vermin to make that viable.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2016, 08:51:32 am by NCommander »
Fucking hell man, you aren't just getting the short end of the stick, you're being beaten with it.
Is your plan really to flush water into hell, and have the CARP marines fight them without threat of flame or disease?  If so, you are awesome, and one of the greatest DF military visionaries I've seen yet ( not that I've seen that many, or any, for that matter )

Derro

• Bay Watcher
  • Imprisoned Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: June 30, 2016, 08:58:09 am »

This is a dark green donkey letter diary. On it is an image of Mistem 'Derro' Tishhislogem the dwarf.

Dear diary: I'm a mother now, and so is Nix. My son (it feels weird to write that) is fortunately completely healthy. I'm sure he and Nix's baby will get along.

People have been getting more positive, it seems. Now that life has been brought forth in this age of death, people don't feel like we're doomed anymore. Yes, we may face difficulties (the horrible monsters down in the caverns are a constant reminder of that), but we can overcome them. The nine of us may be the last of the dwarves, but that also makes us the strongest.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: June 30, 2016, 09:20:20 am »

Ouch on that save corruption. Haven't experienced anything so bad myself, though I suppose one of the worse ones was yesterday, did embark with 0-dwarf civ to test whether I get third migration wave as well as visitors and siegers, and after the third one arrived and I had designated initial tavern and libary I decided "okay, I've messed with this fort for hours and hours ever since embark. Time to designate bunch of stuff and catch some shut-eye"...Game crashes when I try to set item material in workshop. Ah well, I had fun designing it and was going to shelve it anyway.....But I didn't get to perform the bits of science on meeting areas or sieges.

However, for dig-invaders....I suppose it does complicate just throwing up a wall/hatch cover onto entrance, but if they still target dogs first ahahaha. Though I suppose it hurts surface-only forts a bit more, predictably stationary enemy is like something out of a ‼science‼ journal.

And while dwarven milk does have it's appeal in roast, I've never seen a purring maggot + plant gathering has quadratic trade value benefit anyway.

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #97 on: June 30, 2016, 09:36:34 am »

Plant gathering is actually a very underrated skill IMHO. A legendary herbalist can feed an entire fortress on their own. What I tend to do is farm the underground crops, and then let a herbalist pick surface crops for variety. Plant picking a 3x3 embark will get you a massive amount of variety and stuff without having to deal with aboveground farmplots.

Interestingly enough, I look a look at region-pops. I've got a fairly lame selection of animals available to me, ogres are nearly extinct and the cats have already killed off flies. I may DFHack in more underground critters, cave dragons would be nice.

Spoiler: region-pops (click to show/hide)

The interesting bit is I have access to sun berries as a possible type of grass; the counterpart of silver barb for good/evil exclusive plants (and silver barb is mostly useless unless you're going nuts on dying). I haven't brewed sunshine (which is the most value booze in the game) in years so I might actually do aboveground farming in this fort. I also am going to have to spider breed. Working on cavern 1 is coming up soonish.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: June 30, 2016, 10:29:17 am »

Herbalist also skills up really fast and easy (Less than two seasons to legend from single d-p).

That region-pops list (not list-all, I assume) is surprising. Blackberry and Pear on badlands? It is classed as "Any Temperate", I guess for those biomes either temperature might matter or it's distance from pole would be considered "temperate". I previously assumed they would grow only on biomes with "Temperate" in name.

Or maybe not. "Wait, Chestnut?" *doublechecks* Yup, that is any temperate broadleaf forest. Got any of it, Ash, Alder, Birch Maple or Oak growing?

The presence of Rope Reed and willow does indicate at the very least the existence of some murky pools in this badland region somewhere.

Of those animals, I guess the Cave Crocodile, Demon 17 and Giant Cave Spider are most attractive. The surface is pretty boring, no giant beasts in joyous wilds I guess. Peregine falcons without keas, tho.

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #99 on: June 30, 2016, 10:35:31 am »

Here's list-all:

Spoiler: list-all (click to show/hide)

Looking at what I've made beds out of, I have feather wood and highwood for sure. Colonies also shows I have honeybees oddly enough (wasn't expecting that). May try my hand at training up a legendary beekeeper and wax worker (another thing I've never done). Beekeeping is annoying without workflow, but 43.03 fixes that nicely.

I was looking at the tracker and it looks like siege weaponry *finally* shoots straight again. Once I've secured access to wood, I'm fairly tempted to see if I can make this fortress defendable with balista by installing a bunch in the tower(s)

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: June 30, 2016, 10:51:31 am »

Same plant lists between those...not really surprising. Do mention if you find one of those temperate broadleaf plants, though even if you do there's still no brown recluse spiders on that list.

Regarding bee-keeping, I've never seen a dwarf have preference for mead.

As for siege weaponry, you're going to need some discipline training if you mean actual antique siege weapon buildings - that said, wide open areas are probably worst places to use them.

Otherwise, with the aquifer there some waterguns to RPG the map seems possible.

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #101 on: June 30, 2016, 10:54:23 am »

Watergun + open volcano == fun.

Seige weaponary can actually shoot on an arc; approximately 20 degrees from the shooter. Its suppose to target an enemy and send a bolt flying at the enemy. I was tempted to build a bridge over the volcano to make an actual entrance to the fort and then line balista on the far side of that entranceway, and perhaps station marksdwarfs to the sides.

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats? Check. FPS? Uh-oh...
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: June 30, 2016, 10:58:07 am »

Regarding bee-keeping, I've never seen a dwarf have preference for mead.

I've had at least one in every fort I've played since the honey industry was added.  And before the bee colony bug got fixed, it was very difficult to find any temperate embark that had bees to use, so it was almost impossible to meet the need if you weren't somewhere tropical.  Now it's much easier.   :D

-Dame de la Licorne
If software was real world, then it'd be something equivalent of hitting a nail with a hammer and having a building collapse on the other side of town.

Don't worry people, sometimes -moments occur

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: June 30, 2016, 10:58:53 am »

Hah, I need to build more forts then :p

Building a fort inside the magma tube is difficult fun, until you get a magma-safe sieger, after which it is ‼fun‼

Over has the issue that you don't know where siegers arrive from yet...though I've seen multiple reports that they stick with same place of arrival, so after initial band of 10 goblins versus 100 dogs it might be viable.

Albeit I'd still put wooden spears/minecarts there.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2016, 11:00:52 am by Fleeting Frames »

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #104 on: June 30, 2016, 11:03:55 am »

Hah, I need to build more forts then :p

Building a fort inside the magma tube is difficult fun, until you get a magma-safe sieger, after which it is ‼fun‼

Over has the issue that you don't know where siegers arrive from yet...though I've seen multiple reports that they stick with same place of arrival, so after initial band of 10 goblins versus 100 dogs it might be viable.

Albeit I'd still put wooden spears/minecarts there.

The very first baby we had has a mead preference. ^_^. That's going to be a pain though given mead has an obnoxiously long production chain, and jugs in the wrong stockpile break the entire thing. I've never managed to get high quantity of mead in any fortress, and as far as I can tell, beekeeping levels up *very* slowly.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 13