Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13

Author Topic: Scorchedgravel - Swimming Towards The Next Generation  (Read 16872 times)

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
Re: Scorchedgravel - Breeding The Next Generation
« Reply #165 on: July 11, 2016, 10:43:53 pm »

Didn't pump training stop increasing stats?

If you want to train attributes, I recently found bouncing minecart danger rooms to be surprisingly fast (1,1k dodge exp per day with corresponding very quick maxing out of 5 dodge attributes, but only 1 dwarf for 1 bouncing cart, otherwise it goes down to a comparative, if still useful, crawl of 40-75 dodge&armor user per day iirc), but I'm left at askance for other attributes.

That said, I haven't really tested multi-layer ones with lot of dwarves at once....Tbh, I'm kind of at loss of how to prevent dwarves from being trained multiple times without disabling them from going under the rollercoaster one by one (when they enter the fort the first time as migrants, they can go through it with clever design I suppose, but that's not useful for implementing it in mature forts).

That said, for you might as well get high strength as well with swimming training - you can spare...what was it, 1,5 years for maxing out? When running a generational fort, leaving the cart bouncing more of an intellectual curiosity (well, it still trains dodge, I suppose, but eh. The last dwarves in the world shouldn't have to dodge, I think :P)

Meanwhile, I suppose I have few additional design challenges to headbang to.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2016, 10:45:42 pm by Fleeting Frames »

De

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: July 12, 2016, 12:23:53 am »

This is really interesting. I've run a few extinct civ revival fortresses but I've never taken such a technical approach to the game. I've never gotten dwarfs to marry, just fall in love, in spite of years locked together in the "Love Nest" with all their tasks disabled. Of course I've mostly played 40.24. Did dwarven relationships get sped up for the later releases? So far I haven't played them much because I find being unable to satisfy so many stupid desires (the crazy food requirements and the whole "need to wander" thing) makes me depressed about the whole business.
Don't pay attention to the body piles in every fort I play, I swear I'm competent at this game.

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Military Master
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #167 on: July 12, 2016, 12:34:07 am »

This is really interesting. I've run a few extinct civ revival fortresses but I've never taken such a technical approach to the game. I've never gotten dwarfs to marry, just fall in love, in spite of years locked together in the "Love Nest" with all their tasks disabled. Of course I've mostly played 40.24. Did dwarven relationships get sped up for the later releases? So far I haven't played them much because I find being unable to satisfy so many stupid desires (the crazy food requirements and the whole "need to wander" thing) makes me depressed about the whole business.

If anything, they're slower in 43.xx.

To get marriages, you need two sets of dwarfs who are willing to marry; quite a few will only take lovers unfortunately. Without DFHack, that requires a lot of luck; I had to edit some of their flags to actually get marriages out of the starting seven. As for needs, I'm really unhappy with that system as a whole, and wish Toady would fix it. I've mostly taken to just ignoring it entirely, and may go as far as DFHacking them out if it really becomes a problem. I've managed to keep everyone more or less "unfocused" which has been good enough to keep things running. I had another baby pop out, so the deferred dwarfing list is empty, though Imic/Derro only have one child to Nix's three (and Derro isn't even pregnant, WTF?)
Quote from: TheFlame52
Fucking hell man, you aren't just getting the short end of the stick, you're being beaten with it.
Quote from: NRDL
Is your plan really to flush water into hell, and have the CARP marines fight them without threat of flame or disease?  If so, you are awesome, and one of the greatest DF military visionaries I've seen yet ( not that I've seen that many, or any, for that matter )

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: July 12, 2016, 01:17:09 am »

Since it is starting 7, you can replace luck with "patience, dwarf therapist and task manager" :P

So far, needs system indeed seems more like a neat bonus for lucky and micromanagey overseers rather than something that boosts real-time productivity.

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #169 on: July 12, 2016, 11:32:21 am »

Didn't pump training stop increasing stats?

The system got more diversified; back in 40d, and a lesser extent DF2010, social skills would cause stupid amounts of stat growth. I found in one of my DF2010 forts that when you have 60 social dwarfs waiting for an aquifer break, you get stupidly strong dwarfs. It's been toned down since.

For example, a legendary book keeper would superdwarvenly strong and basically unbreakable (while at the same time keeping your books up to date for all time including taking account his own death). This was the same system that gave us the hardcore carp.
Fucking hell man, you aren't just getting the short end of the stick, you're being beaten with it.
Is your plan really to flush water into hell, and have the CARP marines fight them without threat of flame or disease?  If so, you are awesome, and one of the greatest DF military visionaries I've seen yet ( not that I've seen that many, or any, for that matter )

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: July 12, 2016, 12:12:23 pm »

*shrugs* All I know is that I set one dwarf to pump since seeing on wiki, came back in a bit and checked him in DT, then decided "it's crap" and took him off it. Then again, bit later I looked at swim training and was forced to grudgingly admit training attributes doesn't make much sense for single-year forts.

And yea (headshoots was fun read), unfortunately leaving me slightly ajar on how to effectively train wild whales for meat production.

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #171 on: July 12, 2016, 12:43:54 pm »

And yea (headshoots was fun read), unfortunately leaving me slightly ajar on how to effectively train wild whales for meat production.

Easiest way is to re-architect an ocean or tinker a bit with the raws to reduce the amount of land critters. If you've never sent an ocean down an aquifer, I highly recommend doing so. The big headache is only so much wildlife can enter the map at a given time, and its competing with the magma sea and the caverns. Best approach is to seal up the site with bridges or statues (or obsidian) so nothing can get in or out. Aquatic life is very low on the priorities that unless you're trying for it, you're more likely to see in-game moss.

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
Re: Scorchedgravel - Swimming Towards Future?
« Reply #172 on: July 12, 2016, 12:51:02 pm »

We need a name change. Scorchedgravel: swimming towards... Well, any future will do, thanks.
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

De

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: July 12, 2016, 09:42:00 pm »

If anything, they're slower in 43.xx.

To get marriages, you need two sets of dwarfs who are willing to marry; quite a few will only take lovers unfortunately. Without DFHack, that requires a lot of luck; I had to edit some of their flags to actually get marriages out of the starting seven. As for needs, I'm really unhappy with that system as a whole, and wish Toady would fix it. I've mostly taken to just ignoring it entirely, and may go as far as DFHacking them out if it really becomes a problem. I've managed to keep everyone more or less "unfocused" which has been good enough to keep things running. I had another baby pop out, so the deferred dwarfing list is empty, though Imic/Derro only have one child to Nix's three (and Derro isn't even pregnant, WTF?)

Isn't it funny that he took out the mechanic of dwarfs getting upset by the inevitable corpse piles (the corpse piles were indeed inevitable but their causing depression at least made sense) and made it so dwarfs can traipse daily over the decaying form of their fallen kindred but want to slit their wrists because they can't get tomatoes in the north.

There's an extra requirement that has to make dwarfs want to marry beyond just the becoming lovers? Uh oh..... I think my fort might be in trouble.
Don't pay attention to the body piles in every fort I play, I swear I'm competent at this game.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Scorchedgravel - Swimming Towards The Next Generation
« Reply #174 on: July 12, 2016, 10:41:06 pm »

Dwarven mind is fairly different from our human one. When it comes to how they experience things, things do leave their mark, but it isn't a continuous one - each and every experience is new strike on previous shape. We would be utterly horrified by our friends' death and be blissful near a lovely waterfall - but it's more than valuing our friend higher than the waterfall, we would keep thinking about the friend but not of waterfall after the event.
Similarly, a dwarf can become absolute master of their trade by churning out blocks or dodging same spear, while we need more varied experience.

Reclaiming a worldgen fortress is quite an architecture contrast, too - I think the only things I've replicated is giant pile of everything on top of anything as well as the tight entranceway library designs :P

And yeah, they must be willing to commit. You can be sure of it if they dream of marriage, I think? But I think DT or dfhack's gaydar is needed to check.

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #175 on: July 13, 2016, 04:16:51 am »

And yeah, they must be willing to commit. You can be sure of it if they dream of marriage, I think? But I think DT or dfhack's gaydar is needed to check.

Actually, there's a disconnect with that. I'm not sure of the "getting married" dream, but they'll marry same sex even if their goal is to raise a family ...

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: July 13, 2016, 04:22:18 am »

Right, I forgot >_>

In this respect, the goblins are more progressive. If they can't have a child, they'll adopt one.

Derro

• Bay Watcher
  • Imprisoned Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: July 13, 2016, 08:55:01 am »

Actually, there's a disconnect with that. I'm not sure of the "getting married" dream, but they'll marry same sex even if their goal is to raise a family ...

The only right thing to do in that case is to give them a book containing the secrets of life and death, dump a dead dwarven child near them, and watch the gay necromancer family grow!

De

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: July 20, 2016, 02:26:41 am »

So dwarfs, like one of the only two males I have in the starting 7 of my fort for the latest version, who dream of raising a family but are "not the type to fall in love" are just screwed forever?

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #179 on: July 21, 2016, 07:37:43 pm »

So dwarfs, like one of the only two males I have in the starting 7 of my fort for the latest version, who dream of raising a family but are "not the type to fall in love" are just screwed forever?

You can't actually tell in game if two dwarfs will become lovers or even marry. You need to use DFHack to examine (and possibly modify) their soul.

I apologize for the lack of updates. Pokemon GO and a new contract happened.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13