Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8

Author Topic: I'm digging a fort, who's with me?  (Read 9266 times)

Kuli

• Bay Watcher
  • Born-Again Zefonist
    • View Profile
Re: I'm digging a fort, who's with me?
« Reply #90 on: October 25, 2007, 09:05:00 pm »

quote:
The elves managed to find us, and so might the slightly more intelligent goblins.

Ouch, that's harsh.

Loved the complaining about the poor defenseless plants the Elves killed.  Oh a tree is a precious living creature, but bloated tubers and rope reeds are fair game to be traded away for trinkets?  Hypocrits.

Also, Legendary Leatherworker?  Certainly wouldn't be my first choice, but still pretty awesome.  I'm just glad my guy survived after having the audacity to demand crystal glass.  In my fortresses, those guys tend to die before I can get any glassmaking going.

"The power of Zefon compels you!"

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: October 25, 2007, 09:33:00 pm »

Overseer's Log, 11th of Granite, 1056

the elves are back to beg for our goods again, it seems. I've shut the door to the trade depot on them. No, I don't need any rope reed cloth - go away. They are fortunate I don't crush them with the drawbridge.

In other news, I am proud to report that Ossley Inkstab has become a Champion worthy of legend! All hail Ossley Inkstab! I've given him command of the melee squad, which he has renamed 'The Generals of Dye'.

Work continues on my secret project.

12st of Slate, 1056

Tahin Knifebases has become a champion worthy of legend! All hail Tahin Knifebases!

24th of slate, 1056

A piece of Kuli's masterworked leather armor has been stolen! When suggested he could just makes dozens more, he nearly decapitated me with a thrown nearby shoe! I've had him locked in his room until he is finished with his little tantrum.

1st of Felsite, 1056

Kuli calmed down a bit and claimed to be thirsty, so I let him out. He proceeded to the workshops and smashed the craftsdwarf shop! I've issued a 26 day prison sentience for Gloog to carry out immediately, maybe that will give him time to cool off.

Ushrir Ringcovered, child, has seemingly been possessed! He ran an claimed the craftsdwarf shop as soon as it was rebuilt.

9th of Felsite, 1056

:( I made exactally enough armor for the militia, but I guess one of them grabbed some junky peice of armor I forgot to chasm and I didn't notice leaving your glove in the trade depot to get stolen. There is a chance you will still recover (it's just a yellow wound and you have a few points of toughness I think) but it's not looking good.

Jaqie - If it comes down to having to revert to that save I'll let someone else take over, I don't have the patience to do the last few years over. Fortunatly I've not noticed any problems at all and it hasn't crashed again.

Mad Jackal - sorry your guy died, I have damn near every type of gem besides the mega rare ones and crystal glass (what I suspect he wanted). I've found very little rock crystal this fort and it's all gone now. Let me know if you want to come back as a child/baby.

An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

Klokjammer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: October 25, 2007, 10:20:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by BurnedToast:
<STRONG>I am proud to report that Ossley Inkstab has become a Champion worthy of legend! All hail Ossley Inkstab! I've given him command of the melee squad, which he has renamed 'The Generals of Dye'. </STRONG>

Woo Hoo! Champion of the world!

quote:
Originally posted by BurnedToast:
<STRONG>
Tahin Knifebases has become a champion worthy of legend! All hail Tahin Knifebases!

</STRONG>

And, uh... Congratulations to you too.

Funny, this whole time I was afraid I was going to get killed in a sparring accident.  Also, how do you get champions? I never got any, is because my military usually never gets to see any action due to the docility of the wildlife and higher reliance on floods and traps?

Code: [Select]
g  <-  This is a goat
g  <-  This is a goblin mason
g  <-  This is a gremlin covered in white paint

Does everyone understand the difference now?

gloogorshkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vine-gar.tk
« Reply #93 on: October 25, 2007, 10:43:00 pm »

Beatings?  Oh, no.  He... um... fell down.  While I was gently leading him to his cell.  Yeah, that's it.  I wouldn't beat somebody.   :eek:

Kuli

• Bay Watcher
  • Born-Again Zefonist
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: October 25, 2007, 11:17:00 pm »

Noooo....  :(

A yellowed upper body is recoverable I think.  The injured spine isn't shown in the image.  How bad is it?  If it's yellow or red it definitely will never heal.  Below that, I don't know.

I don't suppose I got chained up in my room.  Did you ever even get around to putting the chain there?

"The power of Zefon compels you!"

Tahin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: October 25, 2007, 11:41:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Klokjammer:
<STRONG>
Funny, this whole time I was afraid I was going to get killed in a sparring accident.  Also, how do you get champions? I never got any, is because my military usually never gets to see any action due to the docility of the wildlife and higher reliance on floods and traps?</STRONG>

My guys usually hit champion almost entirely though sparring... It takes a while, though.

And uh... Demands are okay, right? Can I have a nice tomb built for my dude?

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: October 25, 2007, 11:47:00 pm »

Klokjammer - military dwarves become champions when they hit legendary in a weapon skill. You got it by sparring your dwarven heart out.

gloog - it's ok, he threw a stone at you (the big ones) that probibly would have splattered you if it had hit, as well as punching you at least 3 times. I understand a little beating was in order.

Kuli - I had a dwarf in one of my forts with a yellow body (forget upper or lower) which never healed in ~20 years of game. He didn't have any toughness and you do so there is a chance. The spine wound is orange, so even if it does not heal afaik there is no bad effect to it (well you won't spar, but your not in the military so who cares). As for the chain... actually I built one, but then I forgot who wanted it in their room and my internet was acting up so I couldn't check. By the time I could connect again I'd forgotten about it. would have been hilarious for you to get locked up in your own room.

Tahin - you can make any demands you want, but remember the annoying dwarves get drowned  :p. Actually I'm probably going to build tombs for the champion military dwarves (and maybe legendary regular ones too) after I finish the tombs for the original 7 dwarves.

Sparksol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: October 26, 2007, 01:35:00 am »

While surprised I came up with a skirt, I'm glad the glass has been useful (in three artifacts so far!) , and that only the green glass was required for it. (I'm trying to make some working gem-monsters based on the chasm-living iron man just because of moody dwarves.)

I'd originally asked about being a glassmaker because I'm playing through a as-much-glass-as-possible fortress right now, and am glad this fortress is working so well!

Hmm...a long skirt, huh? What will I do with this....

EDIT: Oh yeah, and legendary status! Take that, economy!

[ October 26, 2007: Message edited by: Sparksol ]

Religion, over time, tends to diverge. Science tends to converge.
Funny thing about magic, it doesn't consistently go either way.

Jusal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: October 26, 2007, 02:39:00 am »

Heh, I never thought my dwarf would do anything interesting. This is a lot of fun to follow. Keep up the good work!

pasiniem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: October 26, 2007, 03:15:00 am »

Yeah, this is a lot of fun to follow! Much more fun than reading a story of some random fortress  :)
I'm just waiting to hear news about my dwarf Bregarm (and you got the name right, wohoo!)  :D

Kyselina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: October 26, 2007, 05:56:00 am »

I wanna be axedwarf with good steel shield and plate armor. Name: Buttkicker

Wish if I can have any: I wanna have engraved room, and then post the engravings.

Tun Athelbuket, farmer cancels sleep: Caged.

mport2004

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: October 26, 2007, 11:53:00 am »

im suprised that nothing happened to me yet (except for a injured leg) at lest i havent died in the river (yet  :( )
btw i started a new fort and found i have lots of rabbits just out side my main tunnel are rabbits even in the game??? also im in a haunted area are they KILLER RABBITS   :eek:

[ October 26, 2007: Message edited by: mport2004 ]

MJ working

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: October 26, 2007, 12:10:00 pm »

quote:
Mad Jackal - sorry your guy died, I have damn near every type of gem besides the mega rare ones and crystal glass (what I suspect he wanted). I've found very little rock crystal this fort and it's all gone now. Let me know if you want to come back as a child/baby.  

No apology necessary. I hope I added value to the fort while I was there.
Yes, if it not too much trouble Mad Jackal II would be nice. I'll even take a female baby if that is what comes up.

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: October 26, 2007, 03:25:00 pm »

Overseer's Log, 13th of Granite, 1058

The Elves have arrived, yet again. I'm actually happy to see them this time though. Why yes, elves, I would LOVE some of that rope reed cloth! I have lots and lots of masterfully worked platinum trinkets to trade for it! Just come on in this side entrance over here.

Ricemastah has claimed a carpenter's shop and begun a mysterious construction!

14th of Slate, 1058
http://mkv25.net/dfma/movie-45-goblinflinger

My device has been almost a total failure. It managed to dump one elf/mule into the river where the elf swam to safety and the mule swam into the chasm. The other elf was flung backwards and is uninjured. Unfortunately he and his mule escaped being crushed when I reset the device. The elves are obviously no longer interested in trading, I've not decided if I'm going to let them out to return home or not.

:( he is not wounded, I double checked. He will get there eventually though!

Kyselina - You already have a dwarf, and the militia is full. I can rename one of the marksdwarves if you want but the melee squad is all named already.

Mport: You kicked a whole lot of butt at the start, but now for the most part the military is just training. The fort is almost completely drownproof (the new goblin flinger area is a deathtrap, but I don't let dwarves down there normally) so you don't need to worry about that.

Mad Jackal: you're a kid again! 'Mad Jackal II' Shimmeredpaddles, Child. You actually have a stat point (tough) and skilled grower from picking crops  :p

Kuli: You recovered after all! the spine wound is still there, but as I said it does not seem to be causing any problems.

Klokjammer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: October 26, 2007, 04:30:00 pm »

Sorry, I didn't read tour "Goblin flinger plan" post very thoroughly, I could've told you that bridges don't catapult, or so they do it in the opposite direction.  As you've seen, the drawbridge closes faster than the speed of light so that anything on the bridge goes through it yet the bridge keeps its molecular structure.  And if they stand on the edge that "hinge" is on, they will get crushed.

Had I payed attention, I could've spared you from a failed project.

A better plan... Put a drawbridge between the entrance and the retracting bridge (that closes -> )so that they might fall into the open chasm.  and or change the direction of the first bridge to close upward (unfortunately by deconstructing and reconstructing) and see if that helps.

Code: [Select]
g  <-  This is a goat
g  <-  This is a goblin mason
g  <-  This is a gremlin covered in white paint

Does everyone understand the difference now?
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8