Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8

Author Topic: I'm digging a fort, who's with me?  (Read 9272 times)

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
Re: I'm digging a fort, who's with me?
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2007, 10:19:00 pm »

Alfador gets the metalsmith, THLawrance you can be the metalsmith's spouse if he/she brings one :P I'm incredibly surprised it filled up so fast too.

OK, here it is, the final roster, we are leaving so no more changes:

Ravensword Griproughness: ambusher/mechanic/brewer/cook. copper cage, 20 points of food and drink.

Dreamer Tonguetongs: farmer/novice engraver. 1 each of all food/drink/seeds, remaining points donated.

Brian Boldroughness: Carpenter/lumberjack. all points plus a few donated points for an axe.

Urval Tombclobbered: miner/armor user. rest donated for meat and seeds.

Mport Glovedragons: 1 boyer/max marksdwarf, rest of points donated. Requests not to die in the river.

Entity Abbyblazes: Mason/building designer/stone crafter/engraver. rest of points (-5, you used 90 ) into dwarven rum.

Myself BurnedToast Goldfly, I will be maxing grower, and spending the rest of my points and the donated points on food, drink, and anything else I think we need.

the final loadout:    
plus some seeds that scrolled off.

The location:    

The new fortress name is Inkduty! (that's what you get for choosing a name by committee I guess).

Edit: added surnames

[ October 21, 2007: Message edited by: BurnedToast ]

An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

Klokjammer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2007, 10:58:00 pm »

I was out all day, and I missed the boat.  Oh well.

I am curious as to how this will turn out, so can you post the map on the DF archive periodically?

I was going to request being a future migrant, but I'm going to wait for Jaqie Fox 's fort instead.  Hope I'll make it this time.

Code: [Select]
g  <-  This is a goat
g  <-  This is a goblin mason
g  <-  This is a gremlin covered in white paint

Does everyone understand the difference now?

nagromo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2007, 11:12:00 pm »

Inkduty... I like it!

Here's a picture of a possible housing layout:

It has room for big rooms for the original 7 (the top-most rooms) and 4-tile rooms for 60 immigrants. I know one or two of the players asked for other housing, so you could make more immigrant rooms. It also has 3 nice meeting halls/well rooms and a dining hall for 24 dwarves at once. You could put food storage right next to the hallway leading in.

[edit] I've shrunk it; it's much smaller now (and more reasonable to build).

It would probably fit between the river and chasm; if you run into a feature, you could just leave that part out. It would also be pretty easy to build part of it in year 2 and the rest later.

If you don't like it/don't want to build it, please just give me one of the nice rooms like this:

code:

#########
####.####
###...###
####.####
##.#.#.##
#.......#
##.#.#.##
####D####

Also, how often will you post updates on the fort's progress?

[ October 22, 2007: Message edited by: nagromo ]

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2007, 11:26:00 pm »

Overseer's log, 1st of granite 1051:

Well, we made it. I've started Urval digging us out a proper dwarven entryway, 6 standard spaces wide. Let all who come see the glory of the dwarves, and know that we are unafraid of any invader.

The local humans we passed on our way here spoke of this place as evil, and said it was haunted by evil spirits and worse. I don't know if I believe that but I've assigned Mport as a marksdwarf thanks to the training he has, using the crossbow and armor Ravensword so thoughtfully provided. I hope it is an unnecessary precaution and the worst he has to fight is the cold.

I've ordered brian to dismantle the wagons and clear the area near the gate of trees. We will need the wood, and if this area really is haunted I want a clear view.

Ravensword shall move goods from the dismantled wagons into the newly dug tunnels, then provide us with a line of stonefall traps at the entryway. It will be good to keep the wild animals out, and give Mport a line of defense to stand behind should it be necessary.

Entity will build a mason's shop and provide us with sturdy doors to keep the cold out, as well as cutting blocks for further workshop construction and possibly a road later.

As for myself and dreamer, we are heading out soon to pick whatever herbs and plants we can find in this freezing land. I admit I have little idea of what is edible and what is not, but it's something to keep busy and hopefully warm. I hope to find something we can brew, our food supplies are good but thanks to an oversight (for which I take full blame) we have no brewable plants.

5th of Granite, 1051

:o I think I forgot to mention I will be capping the population at 30 or 50 (probably 50 for the mayor) so that's way more beds then I will need. I can just make one of the 'spikes' though, and give you the room on the top if that's ok? I'll probably make a pond instead of a well too, I don't like the ambush risk from wells.

nagromo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2007, 12:05:00 am »

BurnedToast:

Yeah, I meant that to be a long-term project, with one spike over the first few years and the others added as needed. If they're not needed, don't build them. And pond vs. well is fine - I only posted it as a general suggestion, not as exact plans.

You could also only use 3 statues on each side and move them a bit away from the walls to get better room value for the effort.

I shrunk the original image to save bandwidth.

Alfador

• Bay Watcher
  • Dangerous Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2007, 12:15:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by BurnedToast:
<STRONG>Alfador gets the metalsmith,</STRONG>

Oh sweeeeeet! I got in anyway! :3

This is a fox skull helmet. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It menaces with spikes of fox bone and is encircled with bands of fox leather. This item is haunted by the ghost of Alfador Angrorung the fox.

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2007, 01:39:00 am »

Overseer's log, 7th of Slate, 1051

Rhesus macaques! I cannot imagine how they survive in such a cold climate, but I imagine they raid the human settlements for food, as they attempted to do to us. Our food is all stored safely in the main hall, thankfully, so all they got was a few silk shoes someone left laying around.

Worse yet, Dreamer spotted several ogres across the frozen river while collecting plants. I ordered everyone into the mountain, and had the stout doors Entity created locked tightly. They are not evil spirits but it seems the locals were not wholly wrong about the area after all. Mport wanted to engage them, but I will not risk our settlement and our only defender though it shames me to hide like a stinking kobold thief.

I've ordered the row of stonefall traps to be increased to 3 deep, and I've ordered Entity to create more blocks for a bridge. We shall dig past the river and settle there. The ogres shall be dealt with in time, when we have more numbers.

11th Hematite, 1051

At last! The river outside has thawed, and the one inside has flooded. Our alcohol supplies have dwindled to nothing, but there is mud washed into the hallway that we can grow plants for brewing in. Work on the bridge continues.

6th of Galena, 1051

Our metalsmith, Alfador Axeempires has arrived along with his spouse, THLawrence Bluebolts. Fortunately the ogres seem to have left, and they both made it to the fort without incident.

End log

No pictures this time, sorry. it's basically just a long hallway so far, nothing interesting. I'll make some after I carve out the bedrooms and dining room.

No werewolves, though the wiki says they should be on this biome, and looking at the raws It seems they should as well. maybe some will show up later? Was not expecting monkeys on this map, thankfully I had moved the food in or it would have been an unpleasant winter.

Was playing with your design a bit nagromo, I'll probably end up using it with the big rooms for the original 7 plus the metalsmith (well, btwilley gets his flooding room) and nobles, and carve something else out for everyone else. It's a neat looking design but it takes up too much room considering it's only giving 3 tiles to a normal dwarf.

Ravensword - is there anything in particular you want done with your cage? right now I built it in the middle of the hallway to save it from the monkeys.

Everyone else - I kinda like the idea of naming immigrants after people, so guess what? you can all come too! You don't get special rooms or demands or anything, but if you want I'll make a dwarf with your name and tell you how they die (I'll do my best to keep the named ones alive though!). If you have a preference for what type you want, let me know and I'll wait for one of those immigrants to name it.

Jaqie Fox

• Bay Watcher
  • Genuine Girl Techie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2007, 02:08:00 am »

*shrug* sure, why not. If you happen to get a female mechanic.

Jusal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2007, 03:02:00 am »

Oh sure, please do name one of the immigrants "Jusal". It's been a while I died horribly the last.

Klokjammer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2007, 03:08:00 am »

I would like to be a speardwarf, but the chances of one appearing this early in the game is not so high, they seem to olny migrate when the fortress creates a number of spears.  

So instead I'll be the next peasant, my only request (if allowed) would be to have only the labors that fit that dwarf's likes in addition to the default labors. Or heck, give him a bronze spear and train him, whichever is higher in demand

Also name the dwarf "Ossley" (after one of my WoW characters) as "Klokjammer" doesn't seem to fit well in the genre.

Code: [Select]
g  <-  This is a goat
g  <-  This is a goblin mason
g  <-  This is a gremlin covered in white paint

Does everyone understand the difference now?

Sir Edmund

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 22, 2007, 03:31:00 am »

Can i be your first military dwarf?

i demand a SpearDwarf in all stell with some leather boots!

oh and i would also like a rather nice barracks adjacent to the chasm, river or megma flow.

but if you dont want my dwarf that cool too.

anyhow cheers

EE
E@E
EEE

Sparksol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 22, 2007, 03:48:00 am »

I'll take a glassmaker, if one shows up.
Religion, over time, tends to diverge. Science tends to converge.
Funny thing about magic, it doesn't consistently go either way.

THLawrence

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Scientest
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 22, 2007, 06:37:00 am »

Instead of the metalsmith's spouse can I be one of the useful nobles? Maybe the manager?

Sir Edmund

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 22, 2007, 07:40:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by THLawrence:
<STRONG>Instead of the metalsmith's spouse can I be one of the useful nobles? Maybe the manager?</STRONG>

you should be hammerer, every fort needs one   :mad:

EE
E@E
EEE

Matias

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 22, 2007, 08:04:00 am »

Can I be jeweller or craftsdwarf, which ever comes first... I'm really looking for a fey!

-Matias

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8