Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8

Author Topic: I'm digging a fort, who's with me?  (Read 9268 times)

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
I'm digging a fort, who's with me?
« on: October 21, 2007, 09:02:00 pm »

So, I've gotten a bit bored so I decided to do a bit different of a challenge game. I'm going to dig a fort, and the first 6 people who respond get to come!

the rules:

You get to pick your skills and what you bring. There are 700 points and 7 dwarves, minus 100 for a pick so you get 85 points each. Wanna help me out and be a farmer and bring food? yay, thanks! wanna screw me over and use all your points on being a soaper and wood carver, and bring nothing? boo! but, you can come anyway.

You also get to pick a nickname for your dwarf (or I'll just use your forum name) and his profession name, and you get one vote for the type of map. want a sinister freezing glacier? calm sand desert? anything savage with lots of trees? anything with elephants? anything with no trade access? don't care? let me know.

Finally, you get 1 demand. I'll do anything within reason. want a platinum statue in your bedroom? ok. all gold furnature? fine. want a pond with a cave lobster? I'll do my best. a tomb shaped like an elephant? I'm not very artistic but I'll try.

I'm picking my dwarf's skills and equipment last, I want to have at least some chance of survival if everyone picks silly skills.

I'll do my best to pick a map type similar to what most people voted for, though I'm not going to generate dozens of worlds so there might be some compromise.

I'll also do my best to give your dwarf work based on the skills you choose, but you soapers might have to tend fields for a while before I can get an alchemy shop going.

I'll probably give updates every now and then, though my forts tend to be sort of boring so it might only be once a year or so. If any of your die, I'll let you know though! It will end when either everyone dies (all 7 of the starting dwarves, that is) I reach the adamantine, or the new version comes out.

So who's with me?

Notice: this is NOT a succession game. You get to come along, you don't get to help rule.

Edit: I realized picks cost 100, and I'm not going without a pick, so I changed the starting points.

[ October 21, 2007: Message edited by: BurnedToast ]

An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

ravensword227

• Bay Watcher
  • Nom nom nom
    • View Profile
Re: I'm digging a fort, who's with me?
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2007, 09:04:00 pm »

This is a great idea.  I'm excited!

Ravensword
Competent Ambusher (18)
Mechanic (12)
Novice Brewer (5)
Novice Cook (5)

Food and Alcohol (20)

Personal Item: A copper cage (20).

Place: Haunted Tundra (for werewolves), but near other Civ. for trade and seige.

Demand: A wooden bed.

(Changed cage to copper.  Added ambusher as a higher skill - get a crossbow and bolts to start off with to be used for a weapon trap or fortress defense [hopefully not for hunting].  Hope I did my math right.  If so, I'm good to go).

[ October 21, 2007: Message edited by: ravensword227 ]

Dumed Zustashlorbam, Fisherdwarf cancels Fish: Interrupted by Skeletal hammerhead shark.

Dreamer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2007, 09:14:00 pm »

Sounds like fun!

Ignore the italics, Raven beat me to the chosen profession.  No bother, though.

I'll be Captain Cook - Points in Brewing and Cooking (Just five points in each, since I can improve).  I'll let you allocate the 75 remaining points into food, drink (One of each kind!), and barrels, as you see fit.  Unless, of course, you really want me to spend all of my points, but whatever.

Okay, what I'm really going to be is the farmer who engraves in the winter.

[Farmer]
[Novice Engraver]

You may allocate the remaining 64 points into seeds, food, and drinks (Still one of each kind!) of various sorts.  Whatever we need to survive, man!

I'm neutral on everything else, as well, though I would prefere somewhere nice and cold, or at least a place where it snows in the winter, and has lots of trees (For my barrels and bed).

Out of curiousity, what is your dwarf going to be, toast?

[ October 21, 2007: Message edited by: Dreamer ]

▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲/
◄Nothing Beats Menacing►
/▼▼▼▼▼▼▼▼▼▼▼▼▼\

Btwilley

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2007, 09:14:00 pm »

Name: Brian
Title: Woodsmith
Item: Axe
Demand: A 5X5 bedroom with the east side facing the river with a fortification cut into it so the room gets muddy, and all furniture + door made of wood.

I know it's over 100pts, but gotta bring an axe.

ekkud Egenid was supposedly killed by one of those "elephant" things the commoners have started dreaming up. I swear he killed himself just to piss me off with their lame fantasy.
I do wonder how he managed to break his own back though.

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2007, 09:18:00 pm »

copper cage is 20, bronze is 50. if you pick the copper cage, you have 44 points left to pick things with (all leftover points are donated to me). otherwise you have 14.

Edit: I'm picking my dwarf last, dreamer, so I can try and fill in any gaps.

nagromo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2007, 09:20:00 pm »

I'll be a miner

Nickname: Urval

5 levels miner: 35 pts
4 levels armor user: 26 pts
24 points of food (meat and seeds)
total: 85 pts

My demand: I want a fractal bedroom, furnished in silver. I'll post pictures of possible layouts.

I want a map that's near goblins.

[ October 21, 2007: Message edited by: nagromo ]

mport2004

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2007, 09:23:00 pm »

can i be Mport
lev 1 bowmaker / lev x marksman
i like a wooded not to hot not to cold place
can i have a nice bed room and preferably not die in the river but go out fighting

[ October 21, 2007: Message edited by: mport2004 ]
edit : someone beat me to miner x.x
X=as much as can add w/ points

Entity

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2007, 09:29:00 pm »

Count me in!

Proficient mason (35)
Skilled building designer (26)
Competent stone carver (18)
Engraver (11)

And the rest goes on whatever alcohol my dwarf likes best, default dwarven rum.

Demands: gets to make moonstone archery targets.

Scenery: tropical forest.

[ October 21, 2007: Message edited by: Entity ]

ravensword227

• Bay Watcher
  • Nom nom nom
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2007, 09:29:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by BurnedToast:
[QB]copper cage is 20, bronze is 50. if you pick the copper cage, you have 44 points left to pick things with (all leftover points are donated to me). otherwise you have 14.

I changed my professions some and requested a copper cage and food and drink.
Dumed Zustashlorbam, Fisherdwarf cancels Fish: Interrupted by Skeletal hammerhead shark.

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2007, 09:42:00 pm »

Wow, that filled up FAST! I was expecting to have to wait a day or 2.
So the final roster is:

Ravensword: ambusher/mechanic/brewer/cook. copper cage, 20 points of food and drink.

Dreamer: farmer/novice engraver. 1 each of all food/drink/seeds, remaining points donated.

Brian: Carpenter/lumberjack. all points plus a few donated points for an axe.

Nagramo: miner/armor user/shield user. 3 pieces of meat.

Mport: 1 boyer/max marksdwarf, rest of points donated. Requests not to die in the river.

Entity: Mason/building designer/stone crafter/engraver. rest of points (-5, you used 90   :(

I will be starting soon, so if anyone changes their mind let me know before we head out!

Edit: just realized people changed away from miner, so I'm only picking one pick after all.

ravensword227

• Bay Watcher
  • Nom nom nom
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2007, 09:45:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by BurnedToast:
<STRONG>Ravensword: ambusher/mechanic/brewer/cook. copper cage, 20 points of food and drink.
</STRONG>

Thats correct.  Just make sure I have more points in ambusher than other skills so you can get the free crossbow and bolts.  That's at least a 100 point value - and the whole object of selecting ambusher.

[ October 21, 2007: Message edited by: ravensword227 ]

nagromo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2007, 09:46:00 pm »

I named my dwarf, removed Shield User and donated some more points.

Also, I'm not 100% decided on my demand, but that isn't urgent.

Alfador

• Bay Watcher
  • Dangerous Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2007, 09:49:00 pm »

[EDIT: Armokdammit!!! I take the time to make a build that could actually function, and the list is filled up by the time I make my post!! GAH.]

Awesome idea!

Alfador, Mechanical Genius
Proficient Mechanic (35 points)
Novice Mason (5 points)
dwarven rum [11] (22 points)
plump helmet spawn [8] (8 points)
gazelle meat [2] (4 points)
1 kitten (11 points)
Total: 85 points

I gave myself novice mason so if nobody else knows how to work stone, you'll at least have someone who knows which end of a rock hammer to use. 11 dwarven rum because everybody likes booze, and one over a multiple of 5 ensures the maximum number of barrels for your buck. A kitten for the cute factor, and the rest filled with some meat and seeds.

Vote for the type of map: Some manner of temperate forest, such that there are foxes and there aren't elephants ( http://dwarf.lendemaindeveille.com/index.php/Creatures#Creature_locations  for a guide). If the others insist on an evil map, there might be zombie foxes. :3

Demand: Tame a fox and make it my pet.

[ October 21, 2007: Message edited by: Alfador ]

This is a fox skull helmet. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It menaces with spikes of fox bone and is encircled with bands of fox leather. This item is haunted by the ghost of Alfador Angrorung the fox.

THLawrence

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Scientest
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2007, 09:55:00 pm »

Damn this appeared and filled up while I was doing homework and studying. Can I be the metalsmith that appears later on?
I may not be able to pick the starting points or anything like that but at least I'll be there.
quote:
11 dwarven rum because everybody likes booze, and one over a multiple of 5 ensures the maximum number of barrels for your buck.

Wouldn't it be best to get one of each type of booze then? 12 drinks would get you 12 barrels, or do they mix the booze?

[ October 21, 2007: Message edited by: THLawrence ]

Jaqie Fox

• Bay Watcher
  • Genuine Girl Techie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2007, 10:03:00 pm »

Give me a bit, I am installing linux on my main machine again. once its updated and wine is installed, Ill get back to running DF. I made a bunch of new worlds before I dumped my old install and backed em up onto my 200gb drive along with my installs of DF I always use.

Look for me to post a similar thread soon, I will be looking for people to join my next fortress in a similar manner since this one was so popular.  :)

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8