Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The Sapient Zoo Challenge  (Read 1302 times)

Roguedragon999

• Escaped Lunatic
  • [GREEDY]
    • View Profile
The Sapient Zoo Challenge
« on: June 22, 2016, 03:59:19 pm »

This my first challenge so let me know if I'm copying anyone, I haven't seen any challenges like this though :)

The rules are simple, capture at least one of every sapient creature in a cage trap including humans, goblins, elves and kobolds.  Extra points if you can capture any gorlaks or animal people for you zoo.

Wiki page: http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Stupid_dwarf_trick#Sapient_Zoo
« Last Edit: June 24, 2016, 04:46:29 pm by Roguedragon999 »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: The Sapient Zoo Challenge
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2016, 05:36:58 pm »

The obvious next step here is to begin crafting their natural habitats, so that they feel at home in their simulated environments

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2016, 07:20:49 pm »

Creatures that have an established housing habit (wooden home, underground dormitory) should have that simulated as well. Now the question becomes: How do you keep them fed? Will elves and humans eat things that you fling into their enclosure? Will they drink from a well, or do they need some kind of flowing water mechanism, like those fancy ones you can get for cats?

Bonus if you can start breeding them.

I have already captured a goblin.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2016, 07:33:25 pm »

PTW
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2016, 08:40:35 pm »

Not that anybody is confessing to any atrocities against the uncivilized races but one of the problems you're likely to run into is that new creatures don't enter the map while old creatures are still there. Your capybaraman enclosure will prevent you from getting any storkmen.

For your other races you can't use traders or diplomats, they refuse to eat or drink and go insane. Invaders are a better bet, they don't eat and drink but you can build a nice little cultural village with them anyway. Catching Kobolds means webbed traps or trickery.

I would suggest a setup like this.
========
Bridge++c+$=
========
You set up a tunnel with a valuable object in the back and a raising drawbridge at the entrance. A cat stands chained in front of the treasure. The Kobold sniffs out the treasure goes to grab it and when the cat alerts you to it's presence you raise the bridge. From there you can process it at your leisure.

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Military Master
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2016, 09:53:57 pm »

You can get caged kobolds by doing a cave-in trap. Build a support, and a wall above it. When you trip it, you get tons of cave-in dust which knock them out and put them in the cage without crushing them.
Quote from: TheFlame52
Fucking hell man, you aren't just getting the short end of the stick, you're being beaten with it.
Quote from: NRDL
Is your plan really to flush water into hell, and have the CARP marines fight them without threat of flame or disease?  If so, you are awesome, and one of the greatest DF military visionaries I've seen yet ( not that I've seen that many, or any, for that matter )

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2016, 07:17:52 pm »

Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2016, 12:34:12 pm »

Hmm I may not have kobolds in range of particularly.

I know I have elves and humans, and I've already got a goblin. I guess I'll just have to anger them enough to send me more...... specimens.....
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0