Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: What are Your Nicknames for Characters and Things in Video Games?  (Read 6845 times)

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
  • INT Score: Yes
    • View Profile
Re: What are Your Nicknames for Characters and Things in Video Games?
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2016, 07:46:50 pm »

Any Game:
Anything that starts with a "Z" (especially zombies) = "Zimbabwe(s)"
Dying = "Flopping"

Fire Emblem Fates:
Main Character = "Corn"
Ryoma = "Lobster Man"

Monster Hunter:
Deviljho = "Jojo" or "Pickle"
Insect Glaive User = "Mountwhore" (I apologize to all insect glaive users, it's a perfectly good weapon)

Rocket League:
Scoring within 5 seconds of kick-off = "Rocket League Goal"
Missing a ball that is barely moving/not moving = "Mindgames"
Accidentally setting up a shot for your opponents to score = "Mindgames"
Getting scored on = "Mindgames"

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2016, 07:47:36 pm »

I usually name my characters after colours. Assuming I don't just mash some random name generator until I get something that makes a little bit of sense. I once named a tabletop character "Black". My party was a bit pissed at me for it. They still joke about it.

I call Crewmen in Warframe "Cavemen".
I refer to Nuyen in Shadowrun as "Nuggets".

Lukewarm

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps, if you ask nicely.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2016, 08:21:37 pm »

When playing Crusader Kings 2, I refer to fights that I can easily win as "rubs" and fights that I'm likely to lose as "spics", not as a racist term (I'm not fighting Aztecs, or it would be ) but that's what I imagine all my men being killed with spears sounds like, the wet, heavy 'spic spic' of Mercian soldiers taking my formerly-wessexian foothold on England. If it makes a sound, I'm probably going to refer to it by an onomatopoeia.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2016, 08:50:12 pm by Lukewarm »

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2016, 08:39:36 pm »

Minecraft:
Wiggly squiggly: baby zombie pigman.
Sp00k: Skeletal anything.
Hep: Stolen from MineGrump. Asking for help with something that can't be helped, or long after the help would have been useful.

System Shock 2:
Dat boi: Anything mobile that I'm not prepared to fight. Lately, it's the cyborg ninjas.

Touhou:
Dicknut: Whenever I die extremely early because I was chasing a power-up, going for grazes, not paying attention, or anything else.
Dark Lady of Evil: Rumia, the rather generic (in my opinion) first boss of Embodiment of Scarlet Devil.
BMarisa the Hedgehog: Marisa Kirisame, a main Touhou character that moves very fast. Black streak speeds by, Marisa the Hedgehog, she's the fastest thing alive!
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Madmachine

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarfputer Project FTW
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2016, 09:21:00 pm »

Back when I was little I oftentimes didn't have the manual (or the internet) so I often came up with names for things in games because I didn't know how to refer to them otherwise. Some of them were pretty obvious, like koopas = turtles and metroids = jellyfish. Others were more of a stretch, like chuchus = frogs. Also, one design feature that I can only remember showing up in a few games (such as Spyro) of hiding vaults with huge amounts of pots full of goodies to smash in the same way that Metroid hides upgrades -- we called those "treasure lands."

Nowadays I know the names for things so I don't come up with my own names for shit nearly as much as I used to, and when I do, I get a little more creative. A little.

More often it's for characters than anything else. Sometimes I name characters as if they were Mega Man bosses: I'm playing Dangan Ronpa right now, and Byakuya's new name is "Snootyman", Mondo's is "Gangsterman", and Taka's is "Stickuphisbuttman". Chihiro's is "bae". Yes, I know the BIG TOP SECRET SPOILER about her -- it was spoiled to me before I started playing the game.

I've picked up some colloquialisms from various LP'ers and bloggers, too:
Zombies = Zambos
HP = blood (I used this one a little as a kid, too)
1UP/extra life = free guy
"Piece of cake son" = verb, to run straight off a ledge due to a mistimed jump (as in a platform game). Derived from this.

Not video-game related, but game related: I call miples "nipples".
Also, I tend to spell the word "roguelike" as "rougeliek" when it's referring to post-Spelunky indie neo-roguelikes. I am a recovering classical roguelike elitist.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2016, 09:54:48 pm by Madmachine »
I am a Grammar Communist. I believe that the means of word production (i.e: dictionaries) should be seized, for the good of the people.

We are succeeding. You can tell, because the Oxford English Dictionary made an emoji word of the year.

Madmachine

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarfputer Project FTW
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2016, 09:59:02 pm »

Fat dude/guy/(nothing) - tanky and relatively large enemy
Oh! That's right.
Meathead = total physical class or build, no magic.
Nerd = total magical class or build, no physical.
Blaster caster = magical class or build totally focused on dealing direct damage, as opposed to debuff, support, recovery, or utility spells.
E.g."DCSS keeps removing more and more things let you play non-blaster-caster nerds."
I am a Grammar Communist. I believe that the means of word production (i.e: dictionaries) should be seized, for the good of the people.

We are succeeding. You can tell, because the Oxford English Dictionary made an emoji word of the year.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2016, 10:10:22 pm »

Dildongo, dingdonger, dingywingy, dildanger, etc.: Any weapon that could be construed as vaguely phallic.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Astral

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTER_TENTACLES:RIBCAGE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2016, 10:30:43 pm »

A lot of my group of friend's terminology in League of Legends and other games has been corrupted by a certain individual in our group.

Battlefield 4:
Attack helicopters - Heliclarkers
Little Bird - Little Beard
Grenade out - MAWP (from Archer, also applies to other games with friendly fire when it comes to explosives) or "cover your earballs"

League:
Dragon - Larry
Baron - Barry
Rift Guardian - Jerry
Teemo - Tryndmo or Triggered (if in the super gritty skin)
Heimerdinger - Heimerdongler

Sins of a Solar Empire:
An ominous force... (in relation to the Advent quote for a superweapon being fired) - An ominous horse disrupts the balance of the galaxy...
"Powering phase engines!" (Advent titan moving between gravity wells, shouted hammily) - Powering phase orgasms!
Reportin' for duty - Reportin' for booty

Grand Theft Auto : Stealy Wheely Automobiley

Actually there's a bit too much to list here... I could write a book.
What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the Earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle. -Stephen King's Cell
It's viable to keep a dead rabbit in the glove compartment to take a drink every now and then.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2016, 12:20:57 am »

Well, there are probably a lot that I've forgotten over the years, but here are a couple more-recent ones off the top of my head.
Some are purely mine, others are shared with friends who I share/discuss games with.

Hunter sidekicks - Humpers/cunters (Uncharted 4 Multiplayer)
Companions - Walking storage (Fallout 4)
NPC with a forgettable name who isn't too bad, really - Dudeface (Any game)
NPC with a forgettable name who is annoying - That dumbass (Any game)
Expendable allies or enemies that do stupid things, often due to poor AI - Derps (Most games)
Vaguely-defined, quick-healing items such as estus flasks or ripoffs thereof - Balm/the balm (Many games)
Buff/booster potions - DRRRUGSSSS (Most games)
FAL assault rifle - The fail (Any game with a FAL)
Snipers - Cunts (Any game)
Teammates - Cunts (Any game)
Enemies - Cunts (Any game)
Enemies who somehow kill you via bullshit means right when you were kicking/about to kick their ass - FUCKING CUUUUNTS (Too many games :-\)

I'll have to try and remember more. Haven't been playing too many games to nickname things in lately, I guess.
Good topic!
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2016, 12:21:05 am »

Nignog tryna get a handbeezy: Battlecry while trying something stupid, flashy, risky and probably unnecessary. Alternatively, to be uttered sarcastically after an enemy player makes an obvious mistake.

I swear it's not a racist thing, unless the kid in the video is racist somehow.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 23, 2016, 12:53:47 am »

XCOM: Enemy Within (specifically Long War):

Sectoids and any unidentified aliens are: Ayys
Chryssalids: Bugs
Seekers: Glitches
Drones: Skeet (I removed their [and only their] defense bonus from flying, but they get that much defense innately later on)
Thin Men: Tin Men
Mutons: Muttons (a group is referred to as a football team)
Cyberdiscs; Wizarddiscs (shout out to that cyber-to-wizard Chrome plugin)
Berserkers: Angry Drunks
Mechtoids: AyyIs
Ethereals: Goddamn Motherfuckers
EXALT: Heretics
Any level 9 boss enemy is to be referred to at all times as SHITWRECKER PRIME, except for the EXALT Elite bosses.

My soldiers are all Idiots
Except the base defense rookies, they're Imperial Guardsmen.

Transport UFOs: Party Boats
Assault Carrier UFOs: Enemy Party Boats.

The Van Doorn Extraction is The Summoning
Friends in Low Places is The Good Mission
Gangplank is Pirate Time
And the EXALT Base Raid is the Fuck All Your Fancy Art And Shit mission.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2016, 12:56:18 am by Urist Imiknorris »
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 23, 2016, 12:57:14 am »

NPCs (Any human players in a game that I don't know personally and who I will readily sacrifice to win)

NPC: any character with personality and mannerisms I create who my players will promptly ignore.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

karhell

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_A_MOLPY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 23, 2016, 07:22:26 am »

Diablo:
any +magic item : Reading glasses
Magma demons (and palette swaps thereof) : Botticelli (after the sound their projectiles make)
Goatman archers : COMEBACKHEREYOUBUGGER!

Skyrim:
Lydia : Ginette (momentarily forgot her name while describing her latest antics; defaulted to the first name that came to mind; found amusing and kept using that name)
By extension, all NPC female followers (regardless of game) : Ginette

DoomRL:
Super Shotgun : Lolgun (picked up from GameHunter's tutorials)

Madmachine

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarfputer Project FTW
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 23, 2016, 10:27:02 am »

cunts
I tend to do the same thing, except with a homophobic slur rather than a sexist one.

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 29, 2016, 09:30:20 pm »

I've thought up a few new nicknames.

Transference - Internet Connection (Warframe)
Asshole/Punk/Bitch/Any other profanity I can think of - Anything that upsets me (Any game)
Crit - Critical Hit (Originally from Team Fortress 2, but has migrated to other video games as well.)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4