Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What you gonna do, brave investigators!?

Look for Dafeng
Deliver report
(option for non-playas so they can see votes too ;v)

Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49 ... 99

Author Topic: Fire Emblem on Forums 6 (FEF6), OOC Thread! DED  (Read 87948 times)

Gaterhyme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fire Emblem on Forums 6 (FEF6), OOC Thread!
« Reply #690 on: September 09, 2016, 01:02:15 pm »

Re: who gets the items, I'm not experienced with this system so I'll defer to general opinion. I've no personal want for items unless it's what'll help out everyone the most.

[...] if Gaterhyme is into throwing things. Perhaps they don't want the shield cloth at all.

Yes, she'll likely be attacking at range since one of her PSs is +Hit while standing still. Easier to trigger with 1-2 range than 1 range. Feel like I'm not experienced enough to do a full comparison with other characters, so I'll just lay out the pros and cons that Suzanne has in my opinion:

Points against her getting additional stats:
1. She has high Speed and Luck growths, so her Evasion should already be a bit higher than other characters.
2. She can attack at range.
3. As a Thief, she should have one more MOV than other characters, possibly a source of damage mitigation since she has more choices in where to move so that less enemies can reach her in the next EP.
4. Depending on map, she might be running far away from the others to lockpick chests or doors or chamber pots, therefore not being a main combatant.

Points that might be for her getting stats:
1. As a thief, she needs to get within 1 range (can someone confirm this? I'm not certain about it) to steal things from enemies.
2. She has the Serenity character skill, which is a totem skill giving +10 Evasion and Dodge within 3 spaces. If useful, may be worth keeping her up, but it may be less useful if she's constantly running away from the others to lockpick things.

Mopsy

• Bay Watcher
  • loveless power is abusive powerless love is anemic
    • View Profile
« Reply #691 on: September 09, 2016, 07:19:41 pm »

Edit: Also perhaps more seriously I have no idea how to even handle that IC. "HEY DUDERS! WHO WANTS TO RUB THIS ANGLE PELT ON YOUR FACE SO YOU CAN TAKE 10% MORE STAB WOUNDS BEFORE DYING?" Well, heh, I'm sure where there's a will there's a way. But eh...

I can think of a several different ways to roleplay item exchanges. Giving something nice to a friend. Asking for something you know will be useful to you. Or simply handing over unwanted loot to the party leader, hoping they can find a use for it. Our characters - at least the educated ones - probably have at least a basic understanding of what these items do.

We don't know how many cherubic dishrags we're gonna get. Stat boosters are about strength enhancement and/or weakness mitigation anyway, not making sure everyone has semi-equal statistics. Standout characters happen. FEF1 had Derrick for example, and I don't recall really feeding him any boosters.

I'm not against RPing about loot management, but there are very clear reasons to construct arguments and make final decisions OOC, mostly because game mechanics are not a thing for our characters.

A lot of things COULD be addressed IC, but not all of them. And, for me at least, it'd seem more metagame-y than doing it here.

Perhaps I'm not coming off that way, but who gets which particular item is actually not a critical issue to me. If it's brought up for debate, then I will mention facts that I consider relevant, and try to explain why I think so, but as long as nobody tries to strong-arm other players into giving them the loot, any distribution is acceptable to me.

I wasn't completely serious when I suggested that everything should be done IC, but I do think it could be beneficial in at least three ways:
  • Like I said, it encourages roleplay.
  • It reduces the risk of getting bogged down in debates on technicalities. That leaves more time and energy for playing.
  • It promotes item assignment based on observed IC performance instead of OOC speculation. If a char retreats or gets KO'ed too often, they get a DEF boost. If a char can only scratch the enemies, they get a STR boost. And so on.
If someone thinks there are good reasons to divvy up some of the loot OOC, then they can still take it there. That's my preferred policy for all decisions in the game: "IC when it's convenient, OOC when it's necessary."

Re: who gets the items, I'm not experienced with this system so I'll defer to general opinion. I've no personal want for items unless it's what'll help out everyone the most.

[...] if Gaterhyme is into throwing things. Perhaps they don't want the shield cloth at all.

Yes, she'll likely be attacking at range since one of her PSs is +Hit while standing still. Easier to trigger with 1-2 range than 1 range.

Points that might be for her getting stats:
1. As a thief, she needs to get within 1 range (can someone confirm this? I'm not certain about it) to steal things from enemies.

Unfortunately, there isn't always a clear general opinion to defer to. I looked in the Player's Handbook, but couldn't find anything about the range of stealing attacks. What's your word on that, Haspen? BMM sez it's range one (1).

One last thought: In a situation like our current one, where no agreement has been reached after some debate, I think it's reasonable to fall back on a finders keepers policy. Siegfried and Altha got the items, they will keep them until they use them or give them to someone else.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2016, 05:12:50 pm by Mopsy »

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #693 on: September 09, 2016, 08:36:27 pm »

One last thought: In a situation like our current one, where no agreement has been reached after some debate, I think it's reasonable to fall back on a finders keepers policy. Siegfried and Altha got the items, they will keep them until they use them or give them to someone else.

I don't think there's necessarily a lack of agreement here, we're just in no hurry to assign the items, we've clearly got a while to discuss so it's not like we need to come up with a solid plan and execute it this turn. Honestly mechanically speaking it's already defaulted to a "finders keepers" because there's no mechanical way to move the items other then the person who owns them agreeing to the movement. So, we're already in the situation you describe as fall back, we're just having a chat about what to do with the items because despite the mechanical realities of who holds the executive power here, everyone's pretty chill with having such a chat (although it probably helps that the health is practically useless for Sieg and the defense can't be that attractive for Altha. Perhaps there'd be more tension around the decision if someone with an actual use for the item had their hands on it.)

Anyway... Hum... I'm not sure about the ic/ooc split, I get the idea man, but I at least would be saying the same things. Only you know... Backed up by feelings and impressions rather then stats. It's a little bit awkward (like the real reason Sieg shouldn't get the health? Because after another dozen fights to the death during the course of this suppose to be an investigation it'd no longer actually help him!).

Well, that said, I think you're right that this is at least an opportunity for roleplaying that we might not grasp to the fullest extent. Looking back I regret roleplaying the equipment check in the chapter 1-2 break so... Scantly. Clearly missed a pun opportunity about checking out spears in that one. So, certainly we should roleplay out the distribution of items when the time comes. But I think it's a good idea to go over some the mechanical effects in ooc first, so we have an actual idea of the possibilities, then we'll talk about it in our characters. Edit: of course, it seems we've basically already done that. So eyyy.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2016, 08:40:37 pm by Criptfeind »

Swordstar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #694 on: September 09, 2016, 11:27:10 pm »

I think it varies on the situation tbh. I've never really had a problem coming up with something to RP about, so it's not like RPing about stat boosts gives me something I'm missing. And a lot of the time doing so ends up coming out kinda forced because it's not really IC to be talking about that stuff but you "need" to do it so you force the interaction when other, more natural, interactions would end up being a lot more interesting. I think if it works to RP it IC, go ahead and do it, but I don't think anyone should try to force it. Not saying that's what you were saying, just giving my two cents on the whole deal.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #695 on: September 10, 2016, 02:44:02 am »

Pawn the stat-boosters, buy everyone an extra weapon, problem solved |v
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Mopsy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #696 on: September 10, 2016, 07:43:50 pm »

For those who have been waiting for it (and I'm sure you all have), here's some code that computes the probability that Iris will have an N-point lead in total stat gain over Suzanne after L level-ups. I hope u like Scilab.

Some pertinent results:
  • Probability that Iris will still be ahead 20 levels later if she starts out 4 points ahead: 74%
  • Probability that Iris will still be ahead by at least 4 points 20 levels later if she starts out 4 points ahead: 54%
  • Probability that Iris will still be ahead 20 levels later if she starts out 7 points ahead: 85%
Not that this is a big deal to me or anything. :P (It is fun to make calculations.)

Edit: Someone found a bug. Code and percentages have been updated.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2016, 09:01:53 pm by Mopsy »

Swordstar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #697 on: September 10, 2016, 10:41:29 pm »

Dude, you're putting way too much effort into this. It's not about just about points. It's about who is more likely to be in combat, who is more likely to evade attacks, etc. You can't just do this as a basic number game like you keep trying to do.

Also, darkp, maybe don't stand on Sieg. Greg might get jealous. :P

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #698 on: September 11, 2016, 05:43:40 am »

Still better than trying to stand on Irios, if this was crossover game :P
SigFlags!
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #699 on: September 11, 2016, 07:37:08 am »

I think this ring is a much more interesting bit o loot. Although since presumably everyone wants it and can use it almost as well as each other*, we might as well call it finders keepers :P. Although We can do cute things like pass it back and fourth between people to get multiple uses out of it at a time (in fact, since one point of damage can often be so very important. We'll probably want to do that! If people can get on board.)

*Probably some vague thing about the ideas of certain people being fulcrums or levers in combat and their different roles and how that effects who needs what more, but eh.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2016, 07:39:51 am by Criptfeind »

Blade Master Model 42

• Bay Watcher
  • Edelgard did nothing wrong.
    • View Profile
« Reply #700 on: September 11, 2016, 07:41:16 am »

Luckily, the combat ring is a equipment item rather than a one off boost, so we can swap it around as needed.

Mopsy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #701 on: September 11, 2016, 07:58:10 am »

Dude, you're putting way too much effort into this. It's not about just about points. It's about who is more likely to be in combat, who is more likely to evade attacks, etc. You can't just do this as a basic number game like you keep trying to do.

Here's what I think. Numbers shouldn't determine our decisions, but inform them. What matters is that all characters are able to contribute, giving their players meaningful options on most turns. (And occasionally running off to open a chest is not enough, IMO.) If some players design their characters to be more "stat-hungry" than others, essentially needing to be at a higher level than their adventure buddies to be effective, then that is arguably not anybody else's fault or responsibility to accommodate. On the other hand, I think it is nice that people are willing to try unusual character builds, even if they end up somewhat less efficient than properly min-maxed ones. Therefore I'm not firmly against granting such characters a few extra boosts.

We should wait and see. Like you said, promotion is going to change nearly every stat. There's also the fact that Flora and Iris (and Altha) have seen very little combat, and Suzanne isn't even in yet. When they've been in a few fights, it will be easier to tell who needs the boosts the most. Unless Ziggy and Alba have sold them by then and gambled away the money.

Edit: I don't think Cecil's posted move, where he moves no less than six steps to (4,7), will work on its own. However, if Alissa moves to (5,7) and dances him, the move will work as (7,10) => (6,7) => (4,7). Then Altha can move to (6,10). Is that the way you (Twinwolf et al.) have planned it?
« Last Edit: September 11, 2016, 08:19:47 am by Mopsy »

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #702 on: September 11, 2016, 08:23:26 am »

Cecil is at 7.8 now.
SigFlags!

Mopsy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #703 on: September 11, 2016, 08:38:31 am »

Cecil is at 7.8 now.

Is that GM hax at work, or did I miss something? You mean that his (4,7) move ended at (7,8), right?

T CRIPTFIEND: Yeah, I realized that. Alissa could dance him from there, and he'd still get to (4,7). Or dance Arnold so he gets to (4,7). Altha can only do 1 damage to Ekara, so I don't think she's a good dancee.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2016, 08:46:44 am by Mopsy »

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #704 on: September 11, 2016, 08:39:44 am »

Looks like he tried to move to a place he can't reach and got shunted to the closest square he could.
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49 ... 99