Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What you gonna do, brave investigators!?

Look for Dafeng
Deliver report
(option for non-playas so they can see votes too ;v)

Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 99

Author Topic: Fire Emblem on Forums 6 (FEF6), OOC Thread! DED  (Read 87875 times)

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fire Emblem on Forums 6 (FEF6), OOC Thread!
« Reply #315 on: July 08, 2016, 10:26:46 pm »

Whoh, that was a lot of sudden vitriol, I guess I'm lucky to be unaware of the context of this debate and ugly feelings I was unaware of before.

To answer these questions.
Then I'd like to hear what Haspen and the other players think about this.
  • Are we going to be nice little automatons, making sure that no-one ever dies or even gets KO'ed if we can help it?
  • Or should we be allowed to play fast and loose, within reason, to keep things flowing and create a richer story?
  • Or is there some third way that is the best of both worlds?

Are we going to be nice little automatons

You don't have to be an automation.

making sure that no-one ever dies or even gets KO'ed if we can help it?

I don't know what being an automation has to do with it, but yes this is absolutely one of our top priorities.

Or should we be allowed to play fast and loose, within reason, to keep things flowing and create a richer story?

I'm not sure what you mean by a richer story, the story isn't going to be enriched by us dying and failing, and afaik fire emblem games are pretty 'on rails' anyway. But certainly I think it's okay to play fast and loose within reason to keep things moving quickly. However I don't see the connection here, healing the tank who is clearly going to need the hp in the very near future, an obvious action that you can immediately do without waiting for the other players actions, how is that slowing down the story? No one's asking you to wait to see what the flux does. I think I mentioned on irc at one point that I don't think the outcome of the flux even matters to what we do.

Or is there some third way that is the best of both worlds?

If you're talking about the idea of chaos and individualism vs a thought out mathematical group agreement I think that is a spectrum anyway that we're clearly going to fall somewhere in the middle of no matter how we play it. If you're unhappy with specific things though, certainly we can talk, although clearly others will make their own comments about things they are on unhappy with... Speaking of which....:

When you decided not to heal the tank in the middle of the battle, I had assumed that it was because of priorities. IE: Despite the fact that he would almost certainly be needing the health in the future, you judged this battle easy enough that you thought trying to squeeze out an extra ql on your healing staff was worth it anyway. Although I did not totally agree with that I was content that it was your decision, and after all as a new comer to FEF I have no idea what priorities really are. I have been told that healing staff charges are valuable. Other times I have been told that they are not. So, in the end I didn't say anything (other then a slight snark to Seig's player that apparently you didn't find him worth the cost of healing). If you're saying now that it wasn't a decision weighed by actual worth, but rather an effort to make the game harder for us or to kill Sieg too in some way that I can not understand make the story 'richer'. I have to say that idea is unpleasant to me. I don't agree that our healer refusing to heal or a character dying because of their allies selfish choices in battle make for a good story, at least in a vacuum. And if that is the case, I think it's really against the sorta team spirit that I thought this game was about.

Swordstar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: July 08, 2016, 10:51:10 pm »

If you're a healer, the point is to heal typically. While there are times when not using your staff might be useful, there is also something to be said for working together to keep everyone alive and healthy.

As far as choosing how planning should go right now, that's not really a feasible idea to decide right now. A perfect example is fef5 right now. At the start, difficulty seemed not terrible to the point where super ultra planning wasn't needed. This rapidly changed. Even now this last map started out seeming like a simple flee map, but very rapidly turned into murder fest. So saying now "Do we want to plan every move out or just do whatever we want or maybe just plan occasionally?" isn't too helpful since it will rapidly change depending on the situation in the moment.

Gaterhyme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: July 08, 2016, 11:18:36 pm »

...If I may chip in my two cents. Not a player or anything.

I don't think it was meant to be an order in the way you think it was, or at least it wasn't one given in bad faith.

Arnold was concerned about his healing staff QL IC. I think people assumed the reason you chose not to heal Sieg was due to this IC concern, but also that the IC concern originated from an OOC concern about staff QL. BMM clearly intended to address the OOC concern specifically by saying that staff QL was not a problem. It was assumed that Arnold would probably then no longer have IC concerns about it, either. Would he? For example, has Captain Astleich suggested that replacements will be hard to come by? If you can reason this out, then by all means have a friendly debate about whether it makes sense for him to not heal Sieg due to IC reasons.

Anyway, without having IC concerns, it was assumed that Arnold would then heal, since it would be unfathomable for him (being a healer) not to heal for no reason. So you were told to heal. Yes, it could probably have been phrased differently, such as the difference between "you can go ahead and heal Sieg since staff QL isn't an issue" and "heal Sieg, staff QL isn't an issue." Still the same general point, though.

Tone and intent are tricky things on the internet. I could be completely wrong. But it might be best to give people the benefit of the doubt, since this is a cooperative game and you'll be stuck with each other for quite a while.

Re: paranoid micromanagement, characters would likely tend to band together when things get tough and try to figure out a solution that gets the most allies out alive anyway. In an ideal world I imagine you'd RP this out - shouting out to each other and forming a battle plan. Given time constraints and players' busy lives, OOC plans are often the closest you're likely to get. If a character would refuse to follow part of an "optimal" plan because of roleplaying reasons... I'd personally be all for that, with the IC consequences that might follow. Perhaps they're hot-headed and they rush into the battle before a plan is even put together. But even that is less likely in a tough situation since lives would be on the line and they'd probably tend to be more aware of the consequences of just rushing in. In most cases, if you're doing something without specific RP reasons and times are tough enough to warrant somebody having put together a plan in the first place, I don't see why you would object to following the plan.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: July 09, 2016, 02:30:11 am »

For fuck's sake can there be 3 month period when I wake up without a FEF playerbase mess? Ugh.

Heal staff doesn't have 8 QL nor is one-time acquired item so I don't see what is the point of this whole discussion? Just do what Priests do - heal around - because in three chapters or something you will be swimming in staves of various kind, saving QL's now is pointless.

And if you do not wish to play because current crew makes you angry by trying to impose their tactics or whatever on you, then feel free to drop out, as sticking to the game after being recruited isn't enforced in any way, and I'm sure I can find a replacement healer easily.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2016, 02:31:45 am by Haspen »
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

F.O.E.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: July 09, 2016, 02:46:07 am »

I don't mind suggestions and friendly debates, but please don't start telling people which moves are the "right" ones when there isn't even any sort of crisis. Insisting on having every decision of any measurable consequence taken by a cabal of experts in the OOC makes the game mechanical and dull, IMO.
Then I'd like to hear what Haspen and the other players think about this.

Not sure if I'm even gonna be a player in this FEF but I definitely think you're overreacting. Also, nice shot at BMM, stay classy. However, other people have already made better points than after-work me can, but the "paranoid micromanagement" comes from difficult to deal with situations that leave people either dead or reeeeeally pushing the death clock. As a GM, my FEF isn't overly difficult and as such hardly requires planning; but if there is planning, it's usually when there's risk of people dying. However, Haspen's FEFs are notoriously difficult and one fuck up can lead to a whole slew of problems that result in death and (i'd like to believe) that FEF as a community likes to keep people alive and in the game as opposed to dead and sitting in the OOC for a year, maybe longer, so they tend to get more management. Or, as you call it, "paranoid micromanagement". (Not really sure why it being "paranoid" is a bad thing when stuff like FEF5's current situation is a thing).

However, that leads to stuff like the current chapter in FEF5 where he throws basically the impossible at us and expects us to overcome it because of planning being a thing. Or, at least, that's what it feels like to me.

• Are we going to be nice little automatons, making sure that no-one ever dies or even gets KO'ed if we can help it?
  • Or should we be allowed to play fast and loose, within reason, to keep things flowing and create a richer story?
  • Or is there some third way that is the best of both worlds?

1. Because people living is such a terrible thing, right? Everyone needs to roleplay death drama, not to mention experience possible OOC drama as a result.
2. You're clearly glorifying this option as if it's the end-all-be-all and it really irks me for some reason. Probably because you're acting as if it isn't situational and people are free to discuss plans. Don't deal in absolutes, dude.
3. Play it by ear. If things look sticky, make a plan, discuss the plan, etc. If someone does something that probably isn't in their, or the group's (FEF is a group game after all) best interests, tell them about your concerns, create a discussion.

Then we'll know what kind of game people actually want to play.

Not to like, discredit this, but that won't really change anything, IMO. Mainly because I feel like GMs will run their game how they want regardless.

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Shipper God and Freyjapiller
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: July 09, 2016, 03:02:59 am »

....what even?

Guys, we're not even past the damn prologue yet. Can we NOT erupt into a argument on whether or not planning should be a thing? Or erupt into an argument at all?

All I see is Mopsy misinterpreting BMM42's suggestion as an order. It's not a big deal. Plus, not planning in a strategy game based on a demonically hard strategy game with a GM infamous for murdering the fuck out of us is just ASKING for our whole party to be wiped and for us to have to pull a Genealogy and start over again with the kids we totally had before we all got murdered the fuck out of. :P

Mopsy

• Bay Watcher
  • loveless power is abusive powerless love is anemic
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: July 09, 2016, 07:07:11 am »

There are good points being made here, and I'll try to respond properly to them once I've caught my breath. I have already posted a modified action where Siegfried gets healed, so the game can hopefully go on without being impeded by the debate.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: July 09, 2016, 07:10:16 am »

Thanks.
SigFlags!
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: July 09, 2016, 08:07:48 am »

Per usual the main NPC will level up at your Trainee levels 3 and 5, and then normally along you after you promote to First Classes.

SPEAKING OF LEVELS!

27, 80, 75, 36, 95, 60, 5, 71

Alissa: +HP, SKL, RES

99, 97, 97, 1, 26, 87, 67, 33

Arnold: +SKL, SPD

58, 32, 59, 20, 70, 46, 47, 1

Cecil: +autoHP, STR, SKL, DEF, SPD

19, 29, 90, 31, 66, 69, 15, 25

Friderick: +HP, STR, SKL, RES, SPD

13, 35, 48, 12, 59, 9, 67, 22

Gregory: +HP, MAG, SKL, DEF, SPD

2, 49, 23, 6, 29, 17, 95, 72

Jann: +HP, SKL, LCK, DEF

76, 48, 55, 97, 89, 32, 56, 24

Shaelynn: +MAG, SPD

89, 42, 12, 9, 1, 27, 21, 10

Siegfried: +HP, STR, MAG, SKL, LCK, DEF, RES, SPD //holy damn burn this demon

Updating HP spoiler please stand by v;! Updating done so you can post now!
« Last Edit: July 09, 2016, 08:10:48 am by Haspen »
SigFlags!

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: July 09, 2016, 08:23:35 am »

Guys, we're not even past the damn prologue yet.

Technically I think last map was the prologue and now we're in chapter one.

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
  • Death and I, we have an understanding
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: July 10, 2016, 02:23:54 am »

whoops, almost forgot to submit this

Sheet,Mug
Find comfort in that most people of intelligence jeer at the inmost mysteries, if superior minds were ever placed in fullest contact with the secrets preserved by
 ancient and lowly cults, the resultant abnormalities would soon not only wreck the world, but threathen the very ingerity of the cosmos

Swordstar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: July 10, 2016, 10:15:46 am »

The mug is... very dark. You really probably want to try and use color pallets from the actual games at least at first. There's very little contrast going on and it makes it look flat. It's not bad just the color scheme is doing it no favors.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: July 10, 2016, 10:43:00 am »

Akroma: use pink and bright blue to make amazing technicolor character V:
SigFlags!

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: July 10, 2016, 10:46:05 am »

i can feel my corneas melting
Black lives matter.
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 99