Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What you gonna do, brave investigators!?

Look for Dafeng
Deliver report
(option for non-playas so they can see votes too ;v)

Pages: 1 ... 88 89 [90] 91 92 ... 99

Author Topic: Fire Emblem on Forums 6 (FEF6), OOC Thread! DED  (Read 87729 times)

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
Re: Fire Emblem on Forums 6 (FEF6), OOC Thread!
« Reply #1335 on: July 24, 2017, 12:17:15 pm »

Kill knites this turn, kill hexers and archer this turn, aggro axedude with suzanne, kill him next turn. Voila v:
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1336 on: July 24, 2017, 12:21:48 pm »

If this was a video game fire emblem this is where I'd restart the level and bump it down 2 points on my final review score on it.

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
  • A knight, returned from a journey weary and long
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #1337 on: July 24, 2017, 01:52:06 pm »

If this was a video game fire emblem this is where I'd restart the level and bump it down 2 points on my final review score on it.
ngl i'm feeling a bit of this myself
GM of Trespassers V2.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.

Swordstar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1338 on: July 24, 2017, 07:59:51 pm »

Well. If we hadn't, yknow, broken down the metal door that had clearly been indicated to be housing the guy... <_<

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1339 on: July 24, 2017, 08:02:25 pm »

>implying that a high difficulty level is the fault of the developers
Black lives matter.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1340 on: July 24, 2017, 08:10:50 pm »

There's difficulty and then there's putting us on a hidden timer that's revealed after it's too late to do anything about it.

In fact, there's no difficulty at all involved in something being simply impossible. Difficulty can only arise from something being hard, but possible...

Gaterhyme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1341 on: July 24, 2017, 08:35:47 pm »

While I'm not really happy with the current situation either, it's not like GMs are omniscient. I can't be bothered to look back and analyze the situation a few turns ago, but the task was probably difficult when it was given, with a low allowance for margin of error/bad RNG, which made it turn impossible. I feel like we can still probably still eke something out anyhow. But maybe I'm just being too hopeful here.

It was pretty easy to misinterpret the objectives, though. The small text does say that we have to kill all enemies, and that it applies to all objectives, which means that it applies even if we kill/follow Bonefaz... but I don't think it was easy to realize the complete ramifications of that at the time, especially since nobody was watching the axeman hang back each turn. It would have been nice if it was clearer (dunno how) or removed (to do it now would seem like giving in to players' demands though), but it wasn't as if we knew there would be this misunderstanding now.

And while I guess you could blame everything on Siegfried hitting the door, eh. It probably seemed like an inconsequential decision at the time, and I think we probably lose something in terms of activity/enthusiasm/whatever from people waiting on others to command them due to the fear of getting things wrong sometimes a little more than we should.

Edit:
I went and checked, and it was last turn that the objectives/turn limits were established. It seemed a while ago to me for some reason. Siegfried bonked the door long before then, so the objectives didn't seem like a direct consequence of his attack (unless the turn counter was hidden and counting down from then on - but that would be lacking in transparency).
« Last Edit: July 24, 2017, 08:56:51 pm by Gaterhyme »

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #1342 on: July 24, 2017, 08:57:55 pm »

I'm just, thoroughly annoyed with this map at this point. We've got
1. A massive number of debuffs for no apparent reason, with 5 turn timers. Yes, that's addressed for FUTURE maps, but we still had to deal with them. Along with the last map.
2. Everything ever having effective damage on one character. And the sword-wielders that didn't had lancereavers.
3. Hidden timers. Really?
4. Triggers for things related to those timers that don't really have any indicators of them before they're tripped.
5. "AI" deliberately trolling us.
GM of Trespassers V2.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.

I_Like_Pi

• Bay Watcher
  • The way of Pi
    • View Profile
« Reply #1343 on: July 24, 2017, 09:22:04 pm »

To hopefully speed along actions, Gregory should be danced so he can one round Heavy Jav D
My Fire Emblem on Forums: Magi Wars OOC | IC
Magi Wars sidestory: Rotting Empire OOC | IC

Swordstar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1344 on: July 24, 2017, 11:19:37 pm »

I mean, given people were less than happy about bringing down the door in the first place and were summarily ignored, and then Hasp specifically commented that bringing down the door was a bad idea... How is this surprising? I mean, yes, Hasp mentioned it was a bad idea after the door had already been destroyed, but we could have handled that by all racing back that way and we just didn't. This is the result of us doing a not optimal thing and then choosing to not react to the fact that it was not optimal. Does it suck? Eh, I guess. Sure we won't get the "best" result but we might get a more interesting result this way and either way it's the results of our actions so it's what we have to work with. We were warned IC that the Big Important Dude was behind that metal door (plus it's fairly obvious that's where he'd be hiding on the map) and we still chased after it.

Also like 5/36 enemies had armor slaying weapons. That's not a significant number especially when I think only one or two of them even hit you. Debuffs are debuffs. They happen, they're not the end of the world, and tbh they haven't slowed us down that significantly. And it's getting fixed for the future. You can't really get mad for something that was looked at and been like "Huh, you know, you're right, this is overpowered the way it is." You're not going to change a game situation mid map. That's just not how it works.

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #1345 on: July 24, 2017, 11:32:04 pm »

If we'd all raced back that way, we still would have failed the objective by dint of not actually killing the whole map as the objective states - because lol one axeman in the corner we didn't aggro. And, yeah, sure, only one armorslayer hit me, but it basically deleted me from the game while they were active; my whole role is being out front and tanking, it's not like I could walk over somewhere else and try to score a pick or something because my damage and hit are piss and I have 4 MOV. It's especially salt-inducing when the siege tomes - also a thorn in my side as a slow low-RES unit - ALSO have Lunar Wind for. . . reasons. And then the remaining swords had lancereavers, further discouraging me from doing anything but shuffling along and eating the occasional magic blast.

On the IC side, deciding not to chase Bonefaz because one dude in another room was around makes no sense at all. Sure, we fucked up and didn't catch the baddie, storytelling, not an issue. But not leeroying in (in a game and series that ACTIVELY discourages making sudden moves like that) resulting in us apparently. . . putzing around instead of chasing the villain? Unless Hasp has greatly exaggerated what happens when we inevitably can't clear in the next turn or so.

Also admittedly annoyed about being punished for getting tired of doing something other than moving behind the party and holding because every armorslaying enemy represents an instant death radius for me.
GM of Trespassers V2.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #1346 on: July 24, 2017, 11:37:49 pm »

SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

I_Like_Pi

• Bay Watcher
  • The way of Pi
    • View Profile
« Reply #1347 on: July 25, 2017, 12:16:01 am »

If we'd all raced back that way, we still would have failed the objective by dint of not actually killing the whole map as the objective states - because lol one axeman in the corner we didn't aggro. And, yeah, sure, only one armorslayer hit me, but it basically deleted me from the game while they were active; my whole role is being out front and tanking, it's not like I could walk over somewhere else and try to score a pick or something because my damage and hit are piss and I have 4 MOV. It's especially salt-inducing when the siege tomes - also a thorn in my side as a slow low-RES unit - ALSO have Lunar Wind for. . . reasons. And then the remaining swords had lancereavers, further discouraging me from doing anything but shuffling along and eating the occasional magic blast.

If you can't handle being countered with effective damage maybe you should've played a soldier? You'd have about the same bulk at the cost of a class weapon and HTL. Granted that's countered with lancereavers/axes but believe it or not GMs don't like upscaling normal damage to deal with max DEF PCs because then normally moderaretly bulky PCs get 2 shot or something stupid like that and squishies are forced to dodge or die. I'm not going to criticise your growth build but you did choose your build, presumably knowing that mages would destroy you unless you got RES blessed.

On the IC side, deciding not to chase Bonefaz because one dude in another room was around makes no sense at all. Sure, we fucked up and didn't catch the baddie, storytelling, not an issue. But not leeroying in (in a game and series that ACTIVELY discourages making sudden moves like that) resulting in us apparently. . . putzing around instead of chasing the villain? Unless Hasp has greatly exaggerated what happens when we inevitably can't clear in the next turn or so.

There's also the not too unrealistic possibility we weren't going to catch him in the first place since he's clearly a dude of some importance. Had we explored the other rooms first and opened the door afterwards we might have opened the door to a trio of knights and no clue where Bonefaz was because why the hell would he stay around when he knows he's being attacked and might be losing?

Also admittedly annoyed about being punished for getting tired of doing something other than moving behind the party and holding because every armorslaying enemy represents an instant death radius for me.

BMM42 suggested it was probably not the best idea and then you immediately got super butthurt about it. Then BMM42 and a few others expanded on why booping the door was a bad idea and you didn't even acknowledge them. FEF is a group game and part of it is listening and considering your fellow player's advice. For example, When CrickEt planned for Malcom to help body block on turn 15 I originally moved him elsewhere because I thought he'd just get blicked and be downed. Because CrickEt prodded me after the fact I relooked at the map and realized he wasn't in the danger I thought he was in so I corrected my move.

Edit: In my, admittedly limited experience with you, you seem to take FEFs very seriously. Perhaps as a result of that, you take things that happen in FEFs to your characters, like Seig being countered or Ava non-canonly smacking into an armory wall, personally.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2017, 12:22:50 am by I_Like_Pi »
My Fire Emblem on Forums: Magi Wars OOC | IC
Magi Wars sidestory: Rotting Empire OOC | IC

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #1348 on: July 25, 2017, 12:34:49 am »

No, it's mostly having agency taken out of my hands with the Ava thing (which was admittedly a bit of an overreaction) or feeling picked on. It crops up a lot because I often feel as if I'm not allowed to do fucking anything because I haven't read every single detail of the map or I want to do something other than hold for twenty turns.

In here, I'm annoyed because of reasons I've already established. This map felt like a whole shitton of bullshit. Timers we didn't know about, ailment spam (which has been addressed, yes, but the thought of "maybe silencing someone for five turns is cheap as fuck" should have occurred earlier), and having a not-insignificant portion of the enemies directly countering me. I know there's a certain amount of that that's just going to happen. I acknowledge this. But it doesn't make it less shitty. I joined the game to play it, not trail along behind the rest of the group like a kicked dog for an entire map and then get strung up when i did one thing that wasn't part of the plan.

And bringing up my irritation in Magi Wars isn't necessary, but I've explained that too; it's because I'm playing a character whose whole gimmick is range control and it's a bit annoying when every other enemy is also 1-2, negating half the reason to play the build I went for in the first place.

EDIT: And the reason I got "super butthurt" was the feeling that I've made more posts that resulted in people immediately jumping on me for one reason or another than posts that went without incident. It's not an isolated thing.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2017, 12:39:42 am by KingMurdoc »
GM of Trespassers V2.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1349 on: July 25, 2017, 02:53:32 am »

Come on down to the internet, it's all fun and games
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...
Pages: 1 ... 88 89 [90] 91 92 ... 99