Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 58

Author Topic: Pocket games thread  (Read 124622 times)

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Pocket games thread
« Reply #225 on: May 17, 2017, 07:16:36 pm »

Exiled Kingdoms is a hack-and-slash RPG thing in "beta" which I though Google Play didn't allow those but whatever. It's kinda awkward, the interface is ugly and I suspect a lot of the art is stolen, but it's still kinda charming. One thing is that it appears to be an actual game with a beginning, middle and end, not an infinitely repeating upgrade-a-thon like so many single-player mobile games seem to be.

I probably won't pay to get the full version, but it's a cute distraction. I have to admit a lot of the charm is in the obvious amateur/indie quality of it.

Don't know if I talked about this a few pages ago or not, but I'm a big fan and bought the full game (which I think is worth it) a while back - as you say, it's one of the few games which actually has a sort of plot which you move through with a main quest and side quests that have some actual story. In one quest for instance, you journey into a cave which is full of bugs, and you find the hive queen and talk to her, which leads you on to another quest. Nothing spectacular, but much more engaging than most mobile games -  it  feels like the creator has decided to make a proper CRPG on a phone, rather than a phone game which is an RPG.

Difficult to describe more, but I was talking with a friend about it and we agreed that the best way to think of it was kinda like a really basic Icewind Dale mixed with Diablo. It has a lot of charm with it, and whilst clunky it's very functional (no game breaking bugs, everything sorta works). The creator is also constantly releasing new areas and content, all of which is a definite improvement.

Well worth a go if you're in the mood for that kinda thing
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: May 18, 2017, 02:13:46 pm »

I've been playing Animation Throwdown on my Android phone for about a week now. It's a card game themed around 5 different FOX cartoons, in a mega-crossover type scenario.
Cards have enough variety to allow for some strategy, but there is also a significant progression grind, with card upgrades and discovery of rare cards offering major increases in your deck's capability.
There are daily quests, and frequent competitions that allow players to get better cards and upgrading resources, creating incentive to log in each day and keep playing.
The developers have done a fairly effective job of capturing the humor of the source shows, with characters in the game regularly making quippy comments. If you enjoy shows like Futurama, Family Guy, King of the Hill, Bob's Burgers, and American Dad, then you'll probably appreciate the style of this game.

Scripten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: May 18, 2017, 04:10:11 pm »

I've been playing Animation Throwdown on my Android phone for about a week now. It's a card game themed around 5 different FOX cartoons, in a mega-crossover type scenario.
Cards have enough variety to allow for some strategy, but there is also a significant progression grind, with card upgrades and discovery of rare cards offering major increases in your deck's capability.
There are daily quests, and frequent competitions that allow players to get better cards and upgrading resources, creating incentive to log in each day and keep playing.
The developers have done a fairly effective job of capturing the humor of the source shows, with characters in the game regularly making quippy comments. If you enjoy shows like Futurama, Family Guy, King of the Hill, Bob's Burgers, and American Dad, then you'll probably appreciate the style of this game.

I'd have likely snagged this one if it wasn't overloaded with Macfarlane's brand of unfunny, abysmally inane tripe. Perhaps the ads misrepresent the game itself, but almost everything I've seen thus far have focused solely on Family Dad and American Guy. Is the game itself different? I could manage if it's possible to focus on the other shows and generally avoid those two.

(Apologies to any fans of the series I've been trashing. I've just run into far too many overly long ads for this game.)

Folly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: May 18, 2017, 04:36:26 pm »

I could manage if it's possible to focus on the other shows and generally avoid those two.

You pick one of the shows at the start and that defines your starting deck, and it's certainly possible to stick with cards exclusively from that show, or mix only with the shows that you like. Though, if you chance upon a very rare card from a show you dislike, you may be handicapping yourself slightly by not adding it to your deck.
Your opponents will be made up of all the shows however, so you can't avoid them entirely.

Scripten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: May 18, 2017, 10:58:23 pm »

That's fine. I don't mind seeing them every so often. It's just that the ads were so gratuitous in showing them off that I didn't realize that Bob's Burgers and Futurama were part of the game until the title screen came up at the end. Have to check it out at some point then. Thanks!

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: May 20, 2017, 03:51:24 pm »

Apparently the next Nintendo smartphone game will be a Zelda one. Miitomo got old almost instantly, and Mario as an endless runner didn't set my hair on fire. I love Fire Emblem Heroes but I'm not sure how much Nintendo had to do with that. Here's hoping that mobile Zelda is good.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: May 23, 2017, 07:18:19 pm »

Clash of Clans just recently did an update which introduces a second city, completely independent of the first, with bizarre variations of the classic towers and slightly altered rules for combat. It's a good opportunity to get into the game if you're interested in starting on a level playing field with everyone else.

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: May 26, 2017, 01:03:47 pm »

Got myself a new phone, an Oppo F1s. Any suggestions of some games to try out that would have nearly killed my old little Huawei? I'm thinking Cataclysm:DDA (processor and memory intensive with the tilesets) because the graphics chip still isn't great, but other ideas would be cool too. Going from dual-core 1.2ghz to octo 1.5ghz has to have some use other than multiple web pages. I'll see if dosbox'd win98 boots a bit quicker at least.....
It's a game. Have fun.

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: June 01, 2017, 04:11:04 am »

Star Jumper is a nice little FTL-lite style game, with more or less the same premise, except you're not being chased to the flagship. It just waits for you in the centre of the galaxy, while you find the lvl4 sensors required to get there. It's a lite, because a lot of the crew management side of things isn't there, and weapons tend to just be a mixture of fire-rate and damage, but it's not too bad. There's not a heap of different events, but the ship modifications are fairly well done. I've got through the game on normal with the first ship, so I'll see of it's worthwhile completing it with all of them some time later on.

Clash of Cars is yet-another-.io game that made it onto mobile. It's a multiplayer crash/shoot'em up in cars, that is one of the better ones I've seen of this genre (there's heaps of them about). Good for a little 5-10 min burst play, with fairly good controls, and kind of fun weapons.

And as a question, what PS2 games have others gotten to run through the Play! emulator? So far Warriors Orochi 1, Dragon Quest VIII and Global Defense Force (E.D.F 1) all "work", but at about 2-3FPS, so not really playable. But since there's phones and tablets out there with 5-10x the graphics and processing power of mine, perhaps some decent framerates are possible. There's a few graphics glitches, but it does "run" them properly, actual gameplay etc (not just to menus/title screen).  Anyone tried it out?

You can find it here, if you want to give it a go:
http://purei.org/
« Last Edit: June 01, 2017, 04:17:31 am by sambojin »
It's a game. Have fun.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: June 01, 2017, 02:12:06 pm »

If I could get Mana Khemia 2 running on my phone, that would be amazing O_O

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: June 01, 2017, 04:09:09 pm »

Looks like there's a PSP version. If you're okay with that (and probably have an android phone), you shouldn't have much trouble, relatively speaking, getting it to work on your phone. The major PSP emulator floating around works on android, has features (customizable on-screen controls) meant to let it work on tablets et al, and looks to be more or less entirely compatible with that game in particular (and pretty close to the entire PSP library, too).
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: June 01, 2017, 05:46:12 pm »

I found Star Jumper was interesting for a bit, but it rapidly devolved into repetitive low-difficulty sameness after doing the first few maps. Worth a shot, but it didn't get to stick around longer than a few days for me.
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: June 02, 2017, 06:07:16 am »

HAWK: Freedom Squadron: Take a SHMUP with a decent enough core, wrap it all up with layers of items, alternate ships, and upgrades, all designed to micropay your wallet away from you.

After a few days of play so far, it's actually not as bad as my intro makes it sound, but it's obvious that's the direction it could take towards endgame. So far, I've moved along at a good pace, unlocked a few alternative ships, and feel like it's given me a more than fair shot.

There's a pretty good co-op matchmaking function that, as far as I can tell, pops up an alert on random other people's screen if they're not in a stage, inviting them to join. It's never taken more than 5sec for somebody to join on me yet. (Based on the intro stage, I suspect it'll give you an AI if you don't get anybody in 30sec.) There's really no reason not to do this as the rewards are the same, plus you get friendship currency, which you can use to get a lot of the same stuff as cash-currency.
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: June 06, 2017, 07:53:49 pm »

Okay, I have sunk far, far too many hours into this thing over the last handful of days not to make mention. I speak of the amazingly named Space Battleship Story RPG! I'm sure it's a poignant and moving title in the original language. It's somewhere between a RPG, a strategy game, a monster collectathon, and an idle/incremental whazdinger.

Immediate note of the downsides, just to drive away folks from the start: The game engrishy as all hell, grindy as goddamn and has multiple breakpoints where you'll find yourself slamming head first into a giant wall of incandescent Fuck You In Particular until you grind out almost obnoxious amounts of resources and progression, it's pretty slow in general, the gameplay itself is both fairly hands off, somewhat approaching clumsy/buggy, and can very easily be brutally unforgiving anyway, there are ads (post battle, generally, but most of the time you can just hit whatever your back button is and get right back to the game. They're pretty painless as mobile games go.), and there's probably other stuff I'm forgetting to boot. Game has flaws you can sling a wave motion gun shot through.

Despite this, this damn thing has been on and playing close to 24/7 for the last several days, on and going with me giving it at least half an eye while I do just about everything but drive, bathe, and sleep. What it basically amounts to is being the captain of a 2D side-scrolling Gundam space fleet, complete with giant mecha, massive space battles with gigantic tracts of your screen space covered in laser beams and explosions, and alternate dimension F18s that will drag you to the side of the space lanes and violently sodomize your everything. Also war crimes. War crimes as far as the eye can see. okay, it's mostly just one war crime vigorously repeated -- the game's what-amounts-to-bonus-level that sporadically pops up consists of you chasing down and violently murdering an immigration fleet; i.e. a colonization fleet filled with who knows how many millions of civilians. This has one of the best time/return cost ratios for much of the game, and remains one of the better sources of population for even longer; also the main immigration ship, for all you won't be able to buy it for pretty much ever -- its cost is straight 9s, and I'm pretty sure the game's gold cap -- is one of the strongest ships in the entire game

Gameplay is pretty simple, all told -- you have all of 10 buttons that actually do anything gameplay wise, one of which chooses your flagship's targeting priorities (you can target manually, but you will probably not hit shit if you do), four which designates targeting priority and formation for your allies (manually separable by ship type into three groups, plus your hanger minions), four which turn on and off your weapons and ship-board ally launching (which can be commanded with one of that first four-group), and one button to retreat. With these, you fly through side-scrolling levels, blowing everything to hell as you progress mini-boss (usually just mildly beefed up normal enemies) by mini-boss, until it culminates in an end-stage boss fight, all of which are giving a solid go at returning the favor. Along the way, you collect money, population, and loot, then you go back home, spend loot on upgrades and allies, and repeat the process all over again.

The big bit, is the loot. Which is also the monster collectathon. Your enemies can drop their everything, with some mild caveats (several types are rolled up into a single type for your minions, ferex) -- their weapons, their design schematics (which lets you build them, upgrade them with money, and use excess schematics to upgrade the design through murder), their subweapons, generators, if they have it, you can murder them and take it. This, mind you, also includes the end-stage bosses. The asteroid fortress you run into in the first few levels? My current playthrough is using that as its primary flagship.* That bastard on saturn (or uranus or jupiter... can't quite remember which it was) that is probably going to be your first roadblock? If I pull together enough money and murder it enough to get its design, I can build that, drive it, outfit my supporting fleet with it, and if things get really frisky I might be able to stick it in my flagship's hanger and use it as my freespawn murderfodder. If I have enough load space (most boss items are incredibly heavy, several times the largest available space you'll have for a while -- don't worry, after a bit you start getting access to ships that can mount some), I can take their weapons and smash fleets to the metaphorical space ground with them.

Which leads to pretty much the rest of the game. You collect money and people by killing things, and spend them on earth for world investments (which unlocks a bunch of stuff, mostly formations and difficulty level access for individual stages, but also the occasional ship) and developing weapons (which you'll probably rather pick up, but sometimes development will let you get a weapon a bit ahead of the curve and sometimes you just don't want to grind that one enemy in an available stage) and ships (which have to be developed initially to use, but cost less as the level rises via pickup). Also you can change the ability/skill you're leveling and promote your character if you've sent enough things to the grave (which primarily unlocks new skills, but also -- and rather importantly -- increases the number of non-hanger ally ships you can bring along) and spend resources (generally end of the level, well... resources... that's your third currency, used for chips and development) to upgrade "chips", which are basically special abilities (such as better auto-aim, more hanger space, faster distance coverage, status resistances, etc.), 23 in all and the lot of them random drops from specific stages.** Then you pop up to orbit, adjust your ship loadout (or not) and fleet composition (if you're not broke or don't want to), and repeat the process.

... and that's the formula. You go, you kill in epic 2D space genocide competitions or get blown to hell trying,*** you come home, tweak your ill gotten gains, then do it again. Theoretically there's a plot but A) it doesn't matter and B) it's sufficiently poorly translated (no ill word at the dev, though, the current version is still going through the translation process) you probably won't understand it anyway. The graphics are fairly low-fi pixel-y, but it's the kind of 2d low-fi that means several hundred/thousand projectiles and a few dozen ships can all be on the same screen, and are generally good enough for what they do, there's sound but I haven't bothered to listen to it, but mostly you're just driving your ride and accompanying minions through a hell wall of death and jink, and it's pretty damn great, particularly if you're fairly fond of mostly hands-off games that still have a bit of investment and need for attention. Reminds me of an RPG-ish 2D side scrolling Liberation Army, and that is a complement and a bloody half.

Anyway. Initial caveats aside, I'm basically loving this vaguely beautiful attempt at putting you in the driver seat of the space fleets in a giant robot anime, and after this much time sunk, feel this bloody thing needs to have a recommendation.

Couple parting tips: Carrier allies increase your hanger space, up to a maximum of 3 -- this is very, very nice once you get superweapon level load space, since it means you can stuff another three full on cruisers into your mechapocket. Also on the ally front, once you find yourself with melee weapons (you'll know them because they're little no-range crescents that probably seem completely bloody useless when you first try one out) and proper gunboats (not the little patrol boat or whatever, the type will say gunboat instead of small boat), you will be very interested to know having those gunboats in your fleet increases your weapon range at a ratio of 1 per two gunboats, max of +2 at four boats... and that includes the melee weapons.

This will turn the previously complete crap melee weapons into the deadliest mid/short-mid-ish range weapons you will have access to for a very, very long time, particularly if you manage to off a metal SF or murakumo and get their swords to drop, and render the previously kinda' iffy SF mecha into tiny little deathbeasts, particularly once you hit the initial specialist and beyond. Also gunboat+metal or murakumo sword is quite possible the best anti-projectile piece of equipment you will find for basically ever so far as your sub slot goes -- if you're having trouble with something that shoots a single large projectile into your face, or fires in a straight line, hunt yourself down one of those two, get your gunboats, and laugh in the face of glowing projectile death.

And don't forget to visit the wormhole when it first shows up! Leaf 32 is a wonderful place full of money and glee that you'll want to avoid bringing your friends to when you initially scope it out unless you're already flush with cash and have some excess population laying around.

* It's the cheapest thing you can buy that's able to mount boss weapons and actually do anything... and more importantly, if it can mount boss weapons it can mount most ships you'll see for a while, so you get to stop spitting those piddly mass produced mecha or tiny boat ships or fighter planes out of your hanger and start spitting full fledged battleships. Also has a pretty decent sized hanger, which is just icing.
** Tip: Farm the training ground until you get its chip. Farm the training ground until you get its chip. I think it might be a guaranteed drop, but if it isn't, keep popping the deathstar balloon yes there is a deathstar balloon until the chip falls out. It's what lets you speed up the rate fights progress, and is the difference between getting ten hours of progress in ten hours and getting fourteen.
*** Very much bonus points because you are going to die, the losses for your flagship getting blown up are usually pretty small. You don't lose anything you collected up till that point in the stage, and as near as I can tell the only costs involved are replacing any non-hanger allies that may have gotten ganked in the process of your ignoble end, most of which are fairly cheap. Key word there being most. You get that asteroid fortress minion blown up and you just lost a few dozen thousand gold and a good twelve thousand lives. Deployment and crew costs go down as ship design level goes up, but the big ones cost so much it's going to be a long time before it makes much of a difference for 'em.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2017, 08:01:46 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: June 07, 2017, 08:20:30 am »

The Apple Store version doesn't seem to be translated in English!

The language seems to be Japanese, by the way.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 58