Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarves refusing to grab the goods.  (Read 780 times)

Citizen of Erl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarves refusing to grab the goods.
« on: June 21, 2016, 12:20:50 pm »

So I had a merchant die or drop some goods or something near the edge of my map, including some lovely things like steel bars and the like. However, my dwarves refuse to go get these items. They are not forbidden, I had stockpiles set aside, they just don't want to grab the goods. They'll take other things from outside, so that's not forbidden.

Any ideas, or are these things just forever out of reach? I am getting mad watching keas steal it all.

Derro

• Bay Watcher
  • Imprisoned Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarves refusing to grab the goods.
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2016, 01:15:13 pm »

Is there a direct path to the goods?

Alternatively, designating the goods to be dumped somewhere may get your dwarves to move them.

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2016, 02:41:42 pm »

You may also need to designate (o)utside (r)efuse to be gathered... I've seen this bug pop up before.
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2016, 04:19:46 pm »

Items marked as belonging to merchants (or books belonging to purged vampires posing as entertainers) can frequently not be moved. The only way I've found to get those items is to use DFHack's gui/gm-editor to remove the merchant tag from the item.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2016, 08:53:32 pm »

This has happened to me before with many merchant goods. The best that can be done is dump and atom smash the items. If you are very unlucky the items will be off map and unreachable and take up nemory uselessly.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2016, 10:29:30 pm »

I noticed something vaguely similar earlier myself. This time with stone. I made a stockpile, and it was easily filled by three wheelbarrows. After attaching it to a mason's shop, people stopped filling it. I got them to work again by destroying that stone pile and rebuilding it without making it give to the mason's shop.

Are your stockpiles attached to anything? If so, try destroying and remaking them to see if it works.

Citizen of Erl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2016, 11:35:31 pm »

I didn't have the refuse orders set, but it didn't change anything. Stockpiles are not set to anything, so that's not the issue. They just don't wanna grab 'em.

Oddly enough, a dwarf went into a fey mood and nabbed something from the merchant stock, though. But that's about it.

infrequentLurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2016, 12:10:52 pm »

Sometimes forbidding glitched items, advancing the game by 1 step to make sure the game realizes they were forbidden, then unforbidding them can help reset the game's logic regarding the buggy items.
Bugs from Normal Games: "The game stutters for six seconds before crashing."
Bugs from Broken Games: "The lighting is weird and the characters have no faces."
Bugs from Dwarf Fortress: "The horses outnumber us. I have seen settlements with a thousand horses to a man. I have seen them in the deepest caverns. They are everywhere. Liberate te ex equus."