Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9

Author Topic: Solar: a Transhuman Scifi RPG IC [Turn 8]  (Read 11006 times)

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Solar: a Transhuman Scifi RPG IC [Turn 3]
« Reply #45 on: June 29, 2016, 08:07:57 am »

"Still interested. I've got just the things to sort it out. Any extra information you have about this... Mundus would be helpful though."
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 29, 2016, 01:00:06 pm »

"...Get thee forth, you big dagoofus." Brooklyn says, wriggling out of Medulla's grip. "...My headbox felt as would a minime's has been pounding on a vesi's skint...

...Anyyou, we needs must cycle a few tics, afore this misty is revolved all about us. Shall we seek employ's, ye'thinks? I feel a high and mighty need to needle'up some bucc'smen, to appo the Great Green Gods of Pain and becred my acc's on account on the highhat imbib what be'floored me. And stuffs for you's, aye? Acctual, I might fashion a mod of proty myself. And sleeps...eh, real sleep, I viddy you snicksnackering at me!

...Er, mayb we cooled our affb's? Find elseways to clock out?

Cool or hot, I cares shure' not."
She said, eager to punch someone.
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 29, 2016, 01:35:19 pm »

Too many options, too little time, thought OCOS. Focus on what was known first.

So, beyond reasonable statistical doubt, it was the real Gouveia. Probability analysis indicated he was here with the permission or invitation of what passed for authority on the Ark, based on the seemingly pre-arranged meeting and lack of cover. The direct implication of this is the visit was to discuss the sale of some valuable information, based on who he was meeting. Blackmail also presented itself as an option. Almost certainly he was here without Orbital knowledge based on where she was told he was, so the fact that she was able to spot him was itself of value. Analysis of his actions strongly supported the hypothesis that Gouveia either did not care that he had been spotted, or did not know. Both presented OCOS with more than enough room to operate. As it stood, there was no rational reason to let him know he had been spotted. Why he was not still under lock and key nagged at OCOS, but she shunted that to one side and focused on the question of most value: why was Gouveia here? Gouveia obviously knew why, and so would the Overseer, but a direct approach at either was obviously going to let both know they were under observation, and be highly dangerous - those droids could be subverted, but OCOS thought simply storming in, brute forcing the answer and giving away all her secrecy so inelegant and distasteful. Besides, she could always try a direct approach as a last resort, or as a desired course of action once she knew more about the targets motivations. Less likely was that the secret OCOS wanted was in the encrypted communications, or known to whoever Gouveia visited, but that path of action lay on the low probability end of the spectrum of danger and detection. If nothing else, an incomplete picture was better than no picture, and would allow her to better decide what to do next.

Remain a passive watch on Gouveia/Overseer in order to see if/when they leave the bridge, and where they go/what they does next.

Meanwhile, head to the artists studio. Deceive the artist in order to gain entry, and apply mnemonic lace to find out what he knows about Gouveia and his visit, replacing memory of event with a bland commission meeting.

Finally, if time allows, head to the vicinity of Room 50 and establish as much as is possible about it without risking giving away my presence.

This is a blank sig.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 30, 2016, 07:58:22 am »

"You, my darling, where the one who asked me to hold on to you, even if I was a 'overbig boltbucket wi' a damnedmost soul', or something along those lines." Her tone was vaguely amused. "You, my darling, where the one who asked me to hold on "You semed quite unwilling to take no for an answer. But yes, I think it would be worthwhile for us to look for some kind of employment."
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 30, 2016, 08:31:57 am »

Zahir Spencer
"Still interested. I've got just the things to sort it out. Any extra information you have about this... Mundus would be helpful though."

'Yes. Yes. Mundus neurosurgeon. Expert. Brain augmentation. Dangerous. And killer. Mercenary. In past. Weapons unknown. Intelligence dangerous. Unpredictable,' the construct says. 'I. Send location. To you.'

So he has, Zahir notes - his Caster has a data packet waiting beneath all the spam and alerts. It seems the android is at least supposed to be at the Nexus, some kind of bar or place of entertainment for his kind. The idea of heading into a den of the worst kind of abominations is not too appealing, but what can you do.

OCOS-998
Remain a passive watch on Gouveia/Overseer in order to see if/when they leave the bridge, and where they go/what they does next.

Meanwhile, head to the artists studio. Deceive the artist in order to gain entry, and apply mnemonic lace to find out what he knows about Gouveia and his visit, replacing memory of event with a bland commission meeting.

Finally, if time allows, head to the vicinity of Room 50 and establish as much as is possible about it without risking giving away my presence.

OCOS formulates a plan of action and sets to executing it with all the efficiency of a cutting-edge Orbital intelligence synth. She has a monitoring subroutine maintain a watch on Gouveia's whereabouts and heads to the Water Rooms to check out the artist's studio, instead.

The Water Rooms prove to be a long, rather beautiful hall of seemingly endless fountains. A large, central walkway crosses the entire space, just above a layer of running water that covers a floor of what seems to be marble. Everywhere, water falls in tiny streams and bursts, bright and glittering in the faux-sunlight being filtered into the chamber. She identifies their sources quickly, fountains hidden in or shaped like little cherubs, drinking horns, long-extinct fish and dolphins, octopi and other sealife, lush artificial trees and many more objects built into the walls or coming out of the water. She can see signs of the utilitarian corridors beneath, but not that many.

Doors line the length of the hall, and she finds the artist's studio without any problems. The water runs beneath her feet as she walks over to the door. OCOS takes a few seconds to decide on a plan of action, doing a surface search on the artist - a local named Mosh Rozlov - and his works. He does not appear to be well-known outside the Ark, but here his 'Universe Rooms' - room-sized simulations designed down to the tiniest of details - have attracted some favorable reviews. They're said to 'deftly bring the vastness of the universe into simple, confined spaces' and 'project the visitor into a liminal state between divinity and subsapience'.

She considers an 'adoring fan' persona, but quickly discards that in favor of 'enthusiastic gallerist', and is fully in character by the time Rozlov opens the door. He proves to be an eager young man with a mess of dark hair and a high-end stimsim aug in his brain, with a drowsiness that tells OCOS he'd been engaging in some simulation before she called on him.

[Deception (Diff. 7): 10+5+4=19] He buys into OCOS' assumed identity without so much as a hint of hesitation. OCOS suspects she could get the information she wants out of him with enough time and charm - but she doesn't need to bother with the tools at her disposal. After a little discussion, the man offers to show her his newest works - multidimensional paintings, this time, that only those with multi-level vision and mental processors will truly be able to appreciate, or so he says - and OCOS simply waits for him to turn his back [Stealth (Diff. 5): 6+5=11] before plunging the Mnemonic Lace into the back of his neck.

The man goes limp at once, and OCOS takes care that he does not choke on his own tongue while the Lace burrows into his brain. The boy falls in her lap, eyes staring blankly at the floor of his own studio. A little drool falls from his mouth.

[Intellect (Diff. 8): 16] The Lace is not a simple tool. It takes a trained user to bring forth, identify and successfully alter specific sets of memories. It's trivial to replace the events of the past hour with a set of false memories and let the brain trick itself into constructing a proper narrative for them, but to find an earlier memory of Mosh's meeting with Gouveia and read it in an understandable way... It takes time, but OCOS knows what she's doing.

She finds the memory and sets the Lace to transcribe it into something her synth mind can experience. Then it's only a matter of waiting.

The rest of the memory reveals little of interest - OCOS' victim shows Gouveia around and drinks with him until the thief leaves. Quite valuable, regardless. OCOS checks her monitor - Gouveia hasn't left the bridge, as far as she can tell, though a few hours have passed.

Spoiler: OCOS-998 (MonkeyHead) (click to show/hide)
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 30, 2016, 11:47:25 am »

Well, Guess it's not often that one gets paid for community service. Zahir thought for a moment, before snapping his attention back to reality.

Zahir goes over the files the construct has sent, taking in what data they have before continuing with any questions.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 02, 2016, 08:20:02 am »

While she waited for her companion to properly rally her faculties, Medulla decided to look for jobs of varying violence.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 02, 2016, 08:25:19 am »

Taking that as a sign, Brooklyn led the way.

"Let's cavo up then!

...Also, gird an ocular for an especial cut-emup I might be looking to covey! I left my elde' dagg-a-man with that nice flesh merch man, so he could provvy persdef. Figgerd' he needed it more than I."

She hoped up on Medulla's saddle. It was much easier to ride than walk!

Action: We're looking for jobs! As noted.

Also, Brooklyn is in the market for a melee weapon of some sort. Preferably stabby.
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 02, 2016, 08:48:43 am »

"I suppose for you smaller humans, it does help to have some kind of weapon."
She bore Brooklyn mounting her before she raised one bulky fish and clenched it.
"I always found most of you just come apart if I pull hard enough, though. Perhaps I should get something that can slice too, but it'd be a pain to carry around."

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 02, 2016, 11:38:42 am »

A valuable segment of the puzzle, mused OCOS. If Gouviea was still on the bridge, maybe there was time to see what intel Room 50 held.

Maintain watch on bridge. Head to room 50 and investigate.
This is a blank sig.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 02, 2016, 12:00:26 pm »

"I always found most of you just come apart if I pull hard enough, though. Perhaps I should get something that can slice too, but it'd be a pain to carry around."

Assuming they made it to the market...

Brooklyn modeled herself vainly in a 3d booth, checking out the holo-ads (holograms superimposed onto ones form) for body augments that consisted of ridiculously long sword blades, that sprang out of your wrists, or wrist analogues. She found them a bit unwieldy-you might have trouble opening doors...

"...Whad' you viddy circa these, you? Snnnnkt!" She said to Medulla, cross chopping a holographic robot in two. Given the holo-ads on the station were tailored to the individual, and Brooklyn was essentially a ghost in the system-this ad has assembled a robotic foe for Brooklyn that resembled a rough, untextured version of Medulla herself, who was standing nearby.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 02, 2016, 12:59:05 pm »

"I'm personally wondering how those are meant to fit back in your arms, my sugar.
She tutted at the shoddy rendering of her insides, which appeared to be some kind of mechanical system. Why was it thinking she was a  machine? The bioroid shook her head.
"Hmm. Internal implants might be a weakness in my carapace. Perhaps something more to attach to my arms? Still, there's not a huge amount of point if I can pull people's heads off. Perhaps some kind of exoskeleton, to make me even stronger? Of course, not like I have any money to pay for it, so I suppose it'll remain theoretical. How well are your funds doing, my lovely?"

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 02, 2016, 01:21:53 pm »

"Somewheres along the length of 140 deng my cred account lies, I reck..."

She adjusted some of the holo-ad-controls, and a weapon-a gun barrel-appeared embedded on her forehead. It seemed to block vision somewhat...not to mention the method of storing miniature explosive rounds in your ear canal...

"...This is truly zero-point, you!

It's so-beclassed a Skull-gun. This addy states, the thinks from mine own beatbox, jump to the riff faster, than they'd so thoughts, travel likee down my manips-I needn't doit me foine pinchers, with the dis-integrity of a triggman. Firefie with't an appreciable delays!

Take this de-blight upon you, bewinged Earthey beasters!"
She said, vollying bullets wildly at a flock of miniature holographic birds which are probably a historical representation of ducks. Medulla also probably notices the trajectory and aim of the holographic bullets seems somewhat...generous...

She also might notice Brooklyn is probably enjoying herself alot.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 02, 2016, 06:21:23 pm »

"Well, you've killed everything but the ducks, my darling."
She smiled at the rather riduculous sight of the gun barrel protruding from her friend's forehead.
"I'm not terribly sure it's your style, however. Besides, it might be rather awkward to wear a helmet, with a great gun barrel sticking from your head. No, my dear, I'd say perhaps something else."
A mouth-tendril moved forward and adjusted the controls a tad, and suddenly Brooklyn had a quartet of holographic combat tentacles looping round from her back.
"When I was being designed, Science-Aggregate Hiroshimo wanted to give me tentacles, but he was overruled. I always felt it was a shame. The more limbs the better, I always felt, considering the sort of stories Medulla-4 used to tell me."

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 04, 2016, 09:10:57 am »

Turn 4

Zahir Spencer
Well, Guess it's not often that one gets paid for community service. Zahir thought for a moment, before snapping his attention back to reality.

Zahir goes over the files the construct has sent, taking in what data they have before continuing with any questions.

The gorilloid's files prove to be fairly barebones. There's a 3D map of the Nexus, showing some alternate ways in. It doesn't seem he'll have to necessarily go in the front doors. It remains to be seen how feasible attacking the android in the Nexus is, of course. There's also a description of Mundus' usual tech and capabilities. Combat-wise, he has a shield generator and a powerful stun weapon built into his body. He likely has a high-level tactical processor. The rest of the items listed mean nothing to Zahir.

There are contact details for the bioroid, who appears to be named Nineblack. Leave it to abominations to give themselves such strange names.

Brooklyn of Clan Spyche and Medulla-3
While she waited for her companion to properly rally her faculties, Medulla decided to look for jobs of varying violence.
Action: We're looking for jobs! As noted.

Also, Brooklyn is in the market for a melee weapon of some sort. Preferably stabby.

The odd couple of Brooklyn and Medulla-3 tour the Markets while they take in job offers and notifications of interest on their Casters. Brooklyn keeps her eye open for a melee weapon and comes across a few that catch her interest.

Spoiler: Monofab Blade (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Energy Blade (click to show/hide)

Brooklyn takes a closer look at the costs of the things she'd tried on, just out of curiosity. The impossibly long wrist-blades appear to be part of a larger packet that's a little beyond her means at the moment.

Spoiler: Whip Blade (Aug) (click to show/hide)

There's plenty of things of interest to sift through. Some of them have been buzzing around the datastream for a while, others are quite fresh.

Scavengers sought! Need crew for retrieving a crashed ship on Mercury. Provide own protection or augs.

Team or sole body sought for confidential mission. Contact Akhigbe, Mwenye, information broker, for further details. Payment in tech, information, or currency of choice. Those seeking to waste my time should not expect to live pleasant futures.

QUERY. 60203430. ATHWHKLGL. NN42009991. KEY CODE: ZENITH. AWAITING ANSWER.

We, Seventh Iteration Clan of the amparosi, seek stolen memories. Information or assistance required. Payment ensured.

...name is Líle de la Croix. I require assistance. I dare not speak more here. Please, if there is a merciful soul out there, seek me out on the Observation Deck...

Employment: Retrieval of stolen property. Employer: BioHab Consortium. Payment: Negotiable.

LOOKING FOR KILLERS! Need mercenaries for challenging job. 10,000 Tharsis Creds to be spread evenly among survivors.

There are more, but these seem to be the most worthwhile, or atleast interesting.

OCOS-998
A valuable segment of the puzzle, mused OCOS. If Gouviea was still on the bridge, maybe there was time to see what intel Room 50 held.

Maintain watch on bridge. Head to room 50 and investigate.

Satisfied, OCOS replaces the artist's recent memories with her fabrications - he most likely won't suffer any significant brain damage - and heads on to the other location Blackheart visited. Her monitoring program remains clueless about Gouveia.

The Hall of Stars proves to be a long, chapel-like space with a domed ceiling where a simulation of the void outside plays in silence. This seems like a well-off, private area; there are few off-ship visitors here, and she catches some looks. Doors lead to apartments and it does not take long for her to find Room 50.

[Senses (Diff. 7): 1+5=Critical Failure] Just as she's about to scan the room, her ocular enhancements glitch out. She gets a number of conflicting readings and sharp 'pain' shoots out in her brain to warn her of possible overheating. The upgrades reboot with agonizing slowness, during which she's limited to her most basic senses.

Thankfully, she's in no hurry. She tries again. [Senses (Diff. 7): 6+5=11] This time, her vision sweeps right through the door of the house as she filters through her modes of vision and takes stock of the apartment. It appears to be deserted; few lights or devices are on and she can detect no bio-signs within. The door is locked and there's a security system. Should be easy enough to crack, if she wishes to investigate inside.

Spoiler: OCOS-998 (MonkeyHead) (click to show/hide)

Karysse Sharid

Dogbite is a long way from home. With her last wages in her pocket, she's come to the Ark Bharatama, said to be the perfect place for people like her looking for a new way to go. It's certainly popular, full of Solars from nearby and far away alike. If any place has something to offer for a pirate-turned-analyst, it's - hopefully - this.

She's come to the Markets, where job offers float in the datastream like debris caught in the upper atmos of Venus. Any one of them could be the start of something new - if she doesn't want to get some shopping done, first, or if she has something different entirely on her mind.

« Last Edit: July 04, 2016, 09:13:54 am by Digital Hellhound »
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9