Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 11

Author Topic: Blind Arms Race - Manonera republic thread - 1913  (Read 14333 times)

evilcherry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Blind Arms Race - Manonera republic thread - 1912 design
« Reply #75 on: July 01, 2016, 03:30:51 pm »

If something is complex they stay complex and expensive. The new support weapon rules are explicitly there to allow them to be used effectively and not too effectively.

tntey

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Fishbone for its ska
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: July 01, 2016, 03:35:30 pm »

I say we create a hollow cannon ball, except the ball is filled with oil and barbed wire, so when it fires, it explodes and shoots out barbed wire at the enemy.
Speaking of lowest intelligence, that reminds me of the fact that it's probably your first time in prison. Don't worry, I can give you some tips, having spent some time in a few myself. The best way to make friends here is to drop the soap during shower time. Try it, I'm sure you'll love making friends like that!

3_14159

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: July 01, 2016, 04:00:03 pm »

Current Progress (compared to last turn):
    Naval Warfare:   62.5%    (+ 6.25%)
    Land Warfare:    50%       (+ 0%)

Now, I don't know what the soldier-count issues are - Nirur Torir's suggestion that they invented camo does sound probable.
Our current main (panic) issue are the plains - massed infantry and cavalry attacks sound difficult. What can we do about that?
Barbed wire (generally fortifications) are one way to go about that. The other one, as suggested, are rapid-fire defensive weapons, i.e. machine guns. However, as Nirur Torir already said, they require many innovations.

How about we try to design Gatling Guns, i.e. cartridge-using, multiple-barrel rapid-fire weapons? They should be able to stop cavalry charges. Depending on how that works out, we could then revise our shells (and add canister rounds, another advantage against cavalry charges), add bayonets to our rifles or mount a single cannon onto our ships.

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: July 01, 2016, 04:10:48 pm »

The Gatling gun sounds good, hand cranked on a tripod or wheels, maybe using a gravity fed system instead of a belt to make it simpler to create, multiple barrels and it might be able to get up to 120-200 rounds per minute.  We can revise it when we get belt fed from another invention and maybe mount it on new ships or trucks.

Maybe the extra metal could be used to revise our sloops to have a layer of metal armor over the wood or be large enough to properly mount the cannon?

tntey

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Fishbone for its ska
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: July 01, 2016, 04:27:01 pm »

The Gatling gun sounds good, hand cranked on a tripod or wheels, maybe using a gravity fed system instead of a belt to make it simpler to create, multiple barrels and it might be able to get up to 120-200 rounds per minute.  We can revise it when we get belt fed from another invention and maybe mount it on new ships or trucks.

Maybe the extra metal could be used to revise our sloops to have a layer of metal armor over the wood or be large enough to properly mount the cannon?

I agree with the idea of creating a Gatling gun.
Speaking of lowest intelligence, that reminds me of the fact that it's probably your first time in prison. Don't worry, I can give you some tips, having spent some time in a few myself. The best way to make friends here is to drop the soap during shower time. Try it, I'm sure you'll love making friends like that!

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: July 01, 2016, 04:34:09 pm »

Hell, at this point the US would be throwing out their own.. we could even just import them on the cheap, lol.

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: July 01, 2016, 04:46:48 pm »

OR we have lots of metal, what about a Centrifugal gun, I mean they were never practical and horribly inaccurate but no gunpowder!

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: July 01, 2016, 06:17:28 pm »

I say we design a gattling then revise our rifle to something cheaper if all goes well.
Long Live Arst- United Forenia!
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: July 01, 2016, 06:46:54 pm »

Add more barrels? the generally don't overheat since they're multi barreled by the time a barrel gets back to firing position it's already cooled off.

Edit: you guys like this flag? http://imgur.com/jACDyxn
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: July 01, 2016, 06:52:37 pm »

We need an ammunition size and to determine if we are using gunpowder or smokeless powder.  I say use blackpowder if we can to keep it inexpensive because the loading mechanism might end up being complex as well.

Let's shoot for 200 rpm, even then it would be far behind the times.

Also a shield for the operators might be a good idea considering how large and heavy most Gatling guns are already.

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: July 01, 2016, 06:54:03 pm »

We need an ammunition size and to determine if we are using gunpowder or smokeless powder.  I say use blackpowder if we can to keep it inexpensive because the loading mechanism might end up being complex as well.

Let's shoot for 200 rpm, even then it would be far behind the times.

Also a shield for the operators might be a good idea considering how large and heavy most Gatling guns are already.

Sounds good.

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: July 01, 2016, 06:54:42 pm »

How about a sickle and a sword on either side of the wheat, with green on both sides and yellow in the middle?

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: July 01, 2016, 07:06:34 pm »

We need to get smokeless powder invented. I'd like to try for that in the gatling gun's ammo.

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: July 01, 2016, 07:08:16 pm »

Okay, but we might need to spend the revision phase on that as well.

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: July 01, 2016, 07:09:14 pm »

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 11