Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11

Author Topic: Blind Arms Race - Manonera republic thread - 1913  (Read 14317 times)

evilcherry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Blind Arms Race - Manonera republic thread - 1910
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2016, 12:21:38 am »

Percussion caps, rifled barrels, metal cartridge, bolt actions, magazines. That's a lot you ask from your engineers. At the end of the year, they succeeded in assembling a gun patriotic enough to be called the Patriot Rifle, but it still falls quite far from your original design.

Spoiler: Patriot Rifle (click to show/hide)

3_14159

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Blind Arms Race - Manonera republic thread - 1910
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2016, 04:42:26 am »

Spoiler: Patriot Rifle (click to show/hide)
Uhm, what's the expense on them? Also, does it use smokeless powder?

Aside from that, very nice. From my understanding, this changes our main infantry weapon from a smoothbore musket (think Brown Bess; four shots per minute for the best soldiers, with an effective range of about 75 metres) to a Dreyse Zündnadelgewehr-equivalent (about ten rounds per minute at an effective range of more than 500 metres). This is a significant increase in firepower, probably by about an order of magnitude in effect. It also means that the mass line formations are now obsolete.

Now, however, the issue is what to improve. From my point of view, we have several options:
1. Further improvements to the rifle. Club the Army Chief to death, then add a magazine and metallic cartridges.
2. Revise our 6lb-er cannons. Inspired by the Royal Navy's rifled muzzle-loaders, enlarge the bore and add a tube with rifling cut in. This should significantly increase range and accuracy.
3. Revise our sloops in some way to reduce the fluttering.

Improving the rifle furthers the advantage we should have compared to them. Improving the cannons will improve our land and naval artillery, but risks being obsolete if we design another artillery piece next turn. Improving the sloops should improve our naval capabilities, but risks being obsolete once we design a steam-powered ship.

All in all, I'd probably favour improving the cannons for an immediate naval and land improvement. If we design a larger cannon (the 6-pounder is about 57mm), for example 100mm, we can keep it as a light artillery gun.
Thoughts?

tntey

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Fishbone for its ska
    • View Profile
Re: Blind Arms Race - Manonera republic thread - 1910 Revise
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2016, 04:52:41 am »

I say we improve the patriot rifle and give it metal cartridges. I'm against improving artillery because it's gonna be obsolete next turn if we do end up making new artillery.
Speaking of lowest intelligence, that reminds me of the fact that it's probably your first time in prison. Don't worry, I can give you some tips, having spent some time in a few myself. The best way to make friends here is to drop the soap during shower time. Try it, I'm sure you'll love making friends like that!

evilcherry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2016, 05:15:08 am »

The Patriot rifle is 1 ore, Black powder tech, and not complex.

3_14159

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2016, 05:30:48 am »

Awesome!
That means we should be able to completely replace our muskets as main weapon.

With it using black powder tech, I agree with tntey in that we should probably improve it. For this, I'd propose we introduce a metal cartridge, filled with a smokeless powder.
This is two new technologies (metal cartridges and smokeless powder). Lacking other rounds to judge the intent of this game: Is this too much for a revision, @evilcherry? Also, is the Army Chief's reluctance of metal cartridges only fluff?

evilcherry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2016, 05:36:03 am »

Awesome!
That means we should be able to completely replace our muskets as main weapon.

With it using black powder tech, I agree with tntey in that we should probably improve it. For this, I'd propose we introduce a metal cartridge, filled with a smokeless powder.
This is two new technologies (metal cartridges and smokeless powder). Lacking other rounds to judge the intent of this game: Is this too much for a revision, @evilcherry? Also, is the Army Chief's reluctance of metal cartridges only fluff?
His reluctance to metal cartridge is fluff, but the underlying problem of metal against metal jams is not going to be solved in a very short term.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2016, 05:37:37 am by evilcherry »

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2016, 12:05:32 pm »

We should redesign it to be single shot from the ground up, try to improve the rifling, make it a smokeless round or include a sight of some kind. 

I honestly do not like the idea of altering our other designs right now.

3_14159

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2016, 12:22:36 pm »

We should redesign it to be single shot from the ground up, try to improve the rifling, make it a smokeless round or include a sight of some kind. 

I actually believe it is single-shot from the ground up. For an example on a bolt-action, single-shot rifle, look at the Dreyse Zündnadelgewehr or the Chassepot modèle 1866. You open the bolt, put in a cartridge (in our case, paper), close it. Aim and fire. Open the bold, etc.

How about, for our revision, we continue using paper cartridges but fill it with smokeless powder (decreasing smoke and increasing muzzle velocity)? This also requires a strengthening of the chamber itself.

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2016, 01:09:05 pm »

I actually believe it is single-shot from the ground up. For an example on a bolt-action, single-shot rifle, look at the Dreyse Zündnadelgewehr or the Chassepot modèle 1866. You open the bolt, put in a cartridge (in our case, paper), close it. Aim and fire. Open the bold, etc.

How about, for our revision, we continue using paper cartridges but fill it with smokeless powder (decreasing smoke and increasing muzzle velocity)? This also requires a strengthening of the chamber itself.

I will agree to this or a sight.

3_14159

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2016, 03:50:08 pm »

I will agree to this or a sight.
Or possibly both, assuming we can do both during a revision.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 21, 2016, 04:14:05 pm »

Let's try for both the sights and the paper cartridges of smokeless powder.

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 21, 2016, 08:02:48 pm »

Let's try for both the sights and the paper cartridges of smokeless powder.

+1 to this, or at the very less let revise or cartridges no use using sights if you can't see pass your rifle.
Long Live Arst- United Forenia!
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.

evilcherry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 22, 2016, 12:55:46 am »

Smokeless powder and cartridges I think.

Your trade minister, as he has been reading through numerous advertising telex over the wire, found someone selling all sort of powder, including smokeless powder. He was reached, and a contract was struck that you will import some of it every now and then, making it complicated to produce. A rudimentary sight was devised, but it tend to fall out of position, and making it into good alignment is already complicated.

Spoiler: Modified Patriot Rifle (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: GM Rant (click to show/hide)

(Retcon: Patriot rifle is now 1 metal instead of 1 non-existent ore.)

No spy phase, since you know what they made last year. Now we wait for battle...

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Blind Arms Race - Manonera republic thread - 1910 Battle
« Reply #28 on: June 22, 2016, 02:39:48 am »

Just a quick question, are the smokeless sighted rifle version doubly complex (1/100) or just complex (1/10)?

Otherwise we might as well get started on general discussion for the next phase.  Heavier cannon or a ship to mount it on maybe?

evilcherry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Blind Arms Race - Manonera republic thread - 1910 Battle
« Reply #29 on: June 22, 2016, 04:05:48 am »

singly complex. The powder and the scope are complex on their own.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11