Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11

Author Topic: Blind Arms Race - Manonera republic thread - 1913  (Read 14313 times)

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Blind Arms Race - Manonera republic thread - 1911 revise
« Reply #60 on: June 26, 2016, 07:42:51 pm »

So if we built ships with these new cannons on them only one in 100 could have the new cannons, that doesn't seem too good.

Is there some reason we can't downgrade the gunpowder used to a mix of smokeless and blackpowder to stretch out our supplies.

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 26, 2016, 08:02:37 pm »

So if we built ships with these new cannons on them only one in 100 could have the new cannons, that doesn't seem too good.

Is there some reason we can't downgrade the gunpowder used to a mix of smokeless and blackpowder to stretch out our supplies.

Using a mix is a really, really bad idea, simply because it'll be too unwieldy with range and power and too hard to mix properly
Long Live Arst- United Forenia!
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.

3_14159

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 27, 2016, 02:32:29 am »

Aside from that, as a ship, I was thinking about a small-ish steam frigate mounting a broadside of our new cannons. Depending on our willingness to innovate (and risk penalties), it may be screw-driven and/or mount turrets.
We do not yet have steam power, and ...
Correct. This would be the main technology the ship will advance.

Quote from: Primitive Incendiary Shells
Use hollow shells filled with oil and a slower internal fuse to make anti-personnel rounds for the Breech cannon.
I'm unvoting the Breech cannon downgrade to vote for this thing that I can't be bothered to check whether or not is a warcrime.
I don't think it's effective, mostly because a) the oil burning will be significantly less damaging than being this by shrapnel, and b) it won't spread as far.
There is, you might be interested to know, actually something similar which had existed historically - the Carcass shot. However, it was used during sieges (where fires were effective) and by mortars and similar high-trajectory artillery.

Yup. This is why I'd like to reduce complexity as a priority. Even if it's just mounted on 1/10th of our vessels, that should suffice.

evilcherry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Blind Arms Race - Manonera republic thread - 1911 Spy/Battle
« Reply #63 on: June 28, 2016, 01:16:08 pm »

Couldn't see a consensus coming, so I suppose you all wanted to reduce the complexity of the Cannon.

Spying phase and Battle phase, for now. For the spying phase, you can ask your spies for some information on the enemy. I'll decide if your spies indeed know the answer or not.

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 28, 2016, 03:56:15 pm »

For spy round I propose we find out the range on the rice-eaters new rockets, since those are currently fucking us up.

Also the cannon balls filled with oil could be use for naval warfare, if we can set their junks on fire we'll wipe out their naval forces vastly faster due to the fact that it's much harder to repair a burnt ship then one that just has holes in it.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2016, 03:58:36 pm by stabbymcstabstab »
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.

tntey

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Fishbone for its ska
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 28, 2016, 09:36:43 pm »

For spy round I propose we find out the range on the rice-eaters new rockets, since those are currently fucking us up.

Also the cannon balls filled with oil could be use for naval warfare, if we can set their junks on fire we'll wipe out their naval forces vastly faster due to the fact that it's much harder to repair a burnt ship then one that just has holes in it.

I agree
Speaking of lowest intelligence, that reminds me of the fact that it's probably your first time in prison. Don't worry, I can give you some tips, having spent some time in a few myself. The best way to make friends here is to drop the soap during shower time. Try it, I'm sure you'll love making friends like that!

3_14159

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 29, 2016, 04:40:54 am »

I agree
Seconded, too.

Here too, I'd recommend explosive shells which - historically - served to both ignite and demolish wooden ships and caused their obsolescence.

evilcherry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 29, 2016, 11:13:37 am »

Your Spy, codename "Sausage head", headed towards the Empire capital to try infiltrating their rocket companies. As he was hoping to blend into a restaurant which rocketeers like to frequent, he ordered spaghetti and pizza.

He was immediately deported to a third country, so thankfully he retained his cover, but no more spy intelligence this year.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 29, 2016, 07:09:56 pm »

The other thread is moving faster. I think they're either having some sort of weird rice-based party, or were heatedly debating how to beat our rifles and are now congratulating themselves on easy upcoming victories after seeing their spy report.

And ... someone retrain our spies, so they remember to ask for rice-based spaghetti and rice-based pizza next year :v

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 29, 2016, 10:55:39 pm »

Or better yet ask what the waiter recommends.

evilcherry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Blind Arms Race - Manonera republic thread - 1912 Design
« Reply #70 on: July 01, 2016, 02:00:12 pm »

The Manoneran forces of 1911 comprises of these units:

Spoiler: Manonera 1911 (click to show/hide)
Your new cannons are superior to the 6lber smoothbore muzzleloaders, but they are not too many of them. Your army chief put them at strategic locations where guns of a better range and penetration is desirable - most importantly around islands and coasts. Your Sloops can carry the gun, but mainly as a transport role.

Naval Battle:

While your sloops have no better luck in actual fighting, your new Breech field cannons find some use as shore artillery. They are accurate enough to be used as an area denial weapon, and your ships can operate unmolested as long as they are under protection. You have operational advantage.

Land Battle, Far West Island line (Mountain):

Your increased reinforcements means the Rice-eaters are finally driven off the island, despite horrible loses around the last pockets. Your navy chief held a funeral over the dead. Fight at 0/3 of Southwest island next turn.

Land Battle, Far East Island line (Rocks on the sea):
Your new guns means the rice-eaters now reach your islands less, and they resort to underhand tactic of sending a swarm of boats around, forcing our guns to expend ammunition. You have some advantage, but not really making any meaningful progress. Stalemate.

Land Battle, West Mainland Line (Swamps)
Predictably your new guns saw little use here - penetrating inaccurate fire isn't anywhere effective. The advantage from your snipers still stands, but there seems to be more of them storming forward. These charges, however, are far and few between, meaning they cannot be sustained, and you barely crept forward to 4/5 position.

Land Battle, East Mainland line (Plains)
Your men have great difficulty in assessing the situation, given the higher intensity of fire sustained by your troops. Rocket barrages are now followed by not only cavalry, but sallying infantry with confusing reports of their numbers. Your new guns find some use, but in practice they are not enough to suppress the enemy. You killed another batch of their officers, if reports are to be believed in, but besides that your men are routing to 0/5 position.

You need a flag!

In this age of nationalism, its only proper that your nation needs a flag to be immediately recognizable in the larger world. Post your idea in the main thread. The best design gains a revision credit. You should choose and cull your design among yourselves if needed.

Minor rule revision

See main thread.

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
Re: Blind Arms Race - Manonera republic thread - 1912 design
« Reply #71 on: July 01, 2016, 02:29:27 pm »

Ok we need a machine gun or a even better rifle or we're going to lose the plains, the rice-eaters seem to have adopted calvary so we might wnat to consider designing something defensive like trenchwork or barbed wire.

tntey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 01, 2016, 02:42:01 pm »

Ok we need a machine gun or a even better rifle or we're going to lose the plains, the rice-eaters seem to have adopted calvary so we might wnat to consider designing something defensive like trenchwork or barbed wire.

I agree. We should probably focus on the barbed wire, because that stops cavalry and infintry
Speaking of lowest intelligence, that reminds me of the fact that it's probably your first time in prison. Don't worry, I can give you some tips, having spent some time in a few myself. The best way to make friends here is to drop the soap during shower time. Try it, I'm sure you'll love making friends like that!

tntey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 01, 2016, 02:54:36 pm »

Actually, shouldn't we already have barbed wire? It was created in the 1800's.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 01, 2016, 03:22:41 pm »

Questions: We now have 3 metal, as nothing uses oil yet. This means we can completely replace our smoothbore cannons and black powder rifles, right?
... Should we have our upgraded rifles on everyone? I thought having X+1 metal for a complex item made it common.
If we invented a tech giving a defensive boost, would we have use of it on the plains this turn?

It looks to me like they invented camo. I don't know what else would give "confusing reports of their numbers." Not tooo much of a threat, but when they upgrade their rifles, we'll really need to watch out for their skirmishers and snipers. (Fakeedit: They might have invented trains.)

We need anti-infantry to hold the plains.
Barbed wire would be quite easy. I'd like to add on trenches if we go that route.
We could just upgrade our rifles and plan on machine guns next year. Rifles with bayonets and semi-automatic fire are more effective at breaking charges.
Better artillery shells should be about average difficulty, and might get us smokeless powder. I think I'd prefer this.
Machine guns would be amazing, but we'd need to invent metal bullets, automatic weapons, and smokeless powder in one turn. I think it's too risky when we're about to lose the plains.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11