Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11

Author Topic: Blind Arms Race - Manonera republic thread - 1913  (Read 14285 times)

evilcherry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Blind Arms Race - Manonera republic thread - 1913
« Reply #120 on: July 10, 2016, 08:54:33 pm »

You have a revise credit this turn.

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: July 10, 2016, 11:10:49 pm »

so we need to revise our artillery or design a more modern one, and maybe design a engine for use in ship's and maybe trains.
Long Live Arst- United Forenia!
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.

3_14159

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: July 11, 2016, 01:59:21 am »

Current Progress (compared to last turn):
    Naval Warfare:   62.5%    (+ 0%)
    Land Warfare:    50%       (+ 0%)

Current issues:
a) Naval disadvantage.
b) Being pushed back on the western islands
c) While we have stopped them advancing on the plains, we're not able to advance ourselves.
d) In the swamps, we're still stalemated.

There are a few things we can do: We've been told that we need better artillery. This'd help us with c) and b), and probably a). What we can do is revise the artillery to use something other than solid shells; that is canister, spherical case, high-explosive and explosive-filled armour-piercing.
We can get camouflaged uniforms. Those'd help us (probably) with c) and d).
We can design a new ship. This'd help us with a) and b), and with the other islands.

Now, we have two revisions and one design for this turn. Ideally, I'd like to design a new ship, revise the artillery shells and revise our uniforms to use camouflage.

evilcherry: Is camouflaging our uniform a design or a revision action? How about using drab colours (Feldgrau or Khaki)?

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: July 11, 2016, 03:57:14 am »

Now, we have two revisions and one design for this turn. Ideally, I'd like to design a new ship, revise the artillery shells and revise our uniforms to use camouflage.

evilcherry: Is camouflaging our uniform a design or a revision action? How about using drab colours (Feldgrau or Khaki)?

This isn't a bad idea through Olive Green might be better due to the fact that our land battles are in rather green areas.
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: July 11, 2016, 05:51:58 pm »

Design action: Shrapnel shells for the "Breech" and domestic smokeless powder production.

We need smokeless powder, and we're not going to invent it on a revise credit. The fewer other things we make alongside it, the more likely it is we'll get it. Shrapnel shot will make our cannons finally effective on land.

If it works well, we can then revise our ships to use the breech cannons (Solid shot smoothbore to rifled AP is a wonderful upgrade), and either another shell type or finally get our complex rifles down to simple.

We're not in danger of losing islands. Next turn, I'd like to get design steam powered trains. The TC won't immediately help, but easy reinforcements, being able to supply more troops at one spot, and civilian uses steadily freeing up more men for soldiers each year should help immensely on the mainland. After that, we can make steam powered ironclads to dominate the seas for a few turns.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2016, 02:35:22 pm by Nirur Torir »

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: July 11, 2016, 11:35:58 pm »

maybe we should put effort towards powder production it'll be useful later and a lot of our design due use it, it might the modify rifle cheap enough to be standard issue. But we should put at least one if not both of our revisions on our artillery to push them back in the seas and plains.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: July 12, 2016, 07:53:18 pm »

Current Progress (compared to last turn):
    Naval Warfare:   62.5%    (+ 0%)
    Land Warfare:    50%       (+ 0%)

Current issues:
a) Naval disadvantage.
b) Being pushed back on the western islands
c) While we have stopped them advancing on the plains, we're not able to advance ourselves.
d) In the swamps, we're still stalemated.

There are a few things we can do: We've been told that we need better artillery. This'd help us with c) and b), and probably a). What we can do is revise the artillery to use something other than solid shells; that is canister, spherical case, high-explosive and explosive-filled armour-piercing.
We can get camouflaged uniforms. Those'd help us (probably) with c) and d).
We can design a new ship. This'd help us with a) and b), and with the other islands.

I'd really like to spend the design action on land forces. One more loss in the plains and they get 3 metal, which is probably enough for a small-ish fully metal ship. They'd have those for at least two turns, probably more due to the tech era.

On the other hand, we have three metal, if only for this turn. Does anyone have any ideas for making use of that? I don't think we can make metal ships before discovering the steam engine, and tanks are right out.

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: July 12, 2016, 09:57:15 pm »

Maybe cars? revised into a armored car? Gas powered cars have been around for 27ish years by now and hydrogen powered cars have been around for over a hundred years by now, so maybe?

Edit: hell steam powered cars are older than America by nearly a decade, We could build one.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2016, 09:59:19 pm by stabbymcstabstab »

H4zardZ1

• Bay Watcher
  • Mostly Harmless
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: July 13, 2016, 03:42:49 am »

Finally found the Republic(this) thread again.

Do we have any arty?
Quote from: Rock
Quote from: Comrade Qwasich
Stop bullying children
I can't
I have to bully children
Sigtext and other things

3_14159

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: July 13, 2016, 06:52:36 am »

I'd really like to spend the design action on land forces. One more loss in the plains and they get 3 metal, which is probably enough for a small-ish fully metal ship. They'd have those for at least two turns, probably more due to the tech era.

On the other hand, we have three metal, if only for this turn. Does anyone have any ideas for making use of that? I don't think we can make metal ships before discovering the steam engine, and tanks are right out.
Well, we already have stopped their advance on the planes cold, and just can't advance ourselves. Artillery support and camouflage should help with that. On the other hand, none of that helps on sea, where we're still at the same state as before.

Do we have any arty?
We have. It is currently not as useful as it could be, because we only have a non-explosive armour-piercing round.

Repeating my question:
« Last Edit: July 14, 2016, 03:12:37 am by 3_14159 »

evilcherry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: July 13, 2016, 09:17:14 am »

I decline to properly answer. Both are possible, but note that revisions should involve no entirely new principles, only fixing problems. I don't think you guys have any understanding of stealth in combat - they are still line infantry I'm afraid.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2016, 09:23:10 am by evilcherry »

H4zardZ1

• Bay Watcher
  • Mostly Harmless
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: July 13, 2016, 11:20:42 am »

Do we have any arty?
We have. It is currently not as useful as it could be, because we only have a non-explosive armour-piercing round.
What is it?

Anyways, should we upgrade the old arty so it can shoot explosives, or make a new arty that can shoot explosives better?
Also, do we upgrade the AP shell into explosive AP shell or make a new explosive shell?
Stop bullying children
I can't
I have to bully children
Sigtext and other things

3_14159

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: July 13, 2016, 11:34:35 am »

I decline to properly answer. Both are possible, but note that revisions should involve no entirely new principles, only fixing problems. I don't think you guys have any understanding of stealth in combat - they are still line infantry I'm afraid.
Thank you.
Yes, this definitely suggests we should spend our design action on camouflage/new uniforms. The ship will have to wait a turn.

Do we have any arty?
What is it?

Anyways, should we upgrade the old arty so it can shoot explosives, or make a new arty that can shoot explosives better?
Also, do we upgrade the AP shell into explosive AP shell or make a new explosive shell?
The Breech Field Cannon Downgrade.
I believe that new ammunition for it is just a revision action.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: July 13, 2016, 12:06:47 pm »

We have uniforms (I hope), encyclopedias from Europe, and skirmisher-snipers. Camouflaged uniforms should definitely be a revision-possible action; a stealth/deception/flanking doctrine is a design action.
I'm against such a doctrine in the pre-WW1-era. I'm strongly against it before we have trains to help with flanking.

We need anti-infantry artillery shells. Bigger anti-ship/anti-fortification guns aren't going to help, and I really don't think HE-AP rounds will help as much as shrapnel shells. Hoping that we'll somehow invent smokeless powder and complex shell construction this time on a revise action would be a fool's errand.
I'd be fine with mounting the new guns on ships and getting camo for our revise actions.

It would be pretty nice to get a foothold on that southwest island, if we can do so without risking the plains. Thinking about the recent changes where oil is used for munitions, I expect that their rockets use oil. Cutting them down to 1 would hurt.

Edit: Re-reading a bit, we don't have skirmishers. Our snipers stand in a line with everyone else. I still don't like it over having useful artillery, but please add skirmishers into that camo plan.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2016, 12:30:04 pm by Nirur Torir »

H4zardZ1

• Bay Watcher
  • Mostly Harmless
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: July 13, 2016, 11:34:32 pm »

We have uniforms (I hope), encyclopedias from Europe, and skirmisher-snipers. Camouflaged uniforms should definitely be a revision-possible action; a stealth/deception/flanking doctrine is a design action.
I'm against such a doctrine in the pre-WW1-era. I'm strongly against it before we have trains to help with flanking.

We need anti-infantry artillery shells. Bigger anti-ship/anti-fortification guns aren't going to help, and I really don't think HE-AP rounds will help as much as shrapnel shells. Hoping that we'll somehow invent smokeless powder and complex shell construction this time on a revise action would be a fool's errand.
I'd be fine with mounting the new guns on ships and getting camo for our revise actions.

It would be pretty nice to get a foothold on that southwest island, if we can do so without risking the plains. Thinking about the recent changes where oil is used for munitions, I expect that their rockets use oil. Cutting them down to 1 would hurt.

Edit: Re-reading a bit, we don't have skirmishers. Our snipers stand in a line with everyone else. I still don't like it over having useful artillery, but please add skirmishers into that camo plan.
So we need a new explosive-sharpenel shell? I agree with that. We'll need to do something with Smokeless Powder (also helps with the gatling... a bit?) and/or Shell Construction like you said, through.

I think we need a mid-close(not melee)weapon for skrimishers; A (bit too inefficient?) gatling is fine, but do we have a vehicle to mount that, or that isn't needed?
Stop bullying children
I can't
I have to bully children
Sigtext and other things
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11