Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11

Author Topic: Blind Arms Race - Manonera republic thread - 1913  (Read 14286 times)

evilcherry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Blind Arms Race - Manonera republic thread - 1913
« on: June 19, 2016, 02:48:16 pm »

Main Thread:

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=158852.0

The Manonera republic. Home of the best Pizzas and Spaghetti. Made with the best wheat, never rice which fouls noodle and bread. We have been persuading The Empire of Chang Shing to accept this superior food, but so far its falling on deaf ears, and they have resorted to flooding our fields so only foul rice can be planted on them. We have no choice but to use force to make them understand that wheat is better.

Manonera uses these weapons:
Spoiler: Manonera 1910 (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 10, 2016, 08:55:10 pm by evilcherry »

tntey

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Fishbone for its ska
    • View Profile
Re: Blind Arms Race - Manonera republic thread
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2016, 02:53:12 pm »

Our first goal should be domination at sea and access to the resource rich islands. This is why we need to develop a boat that relies on an engine rather than the wind to move.
Speaking of lowest intelligence, that reminds me of the fact that it's probably your first time in prison. Don't worry, I can give you some tips, having spent some time in a few myself. The best way to make friends here is to drop the soap during shower time. Try it, I'm sure you'll love making friends like that!

3_14159

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2016, 04:17:59 pm »

Our first goal should be domination at sea and access to the resource rich islands. This is why we need to develop a boat that relies on an engine rather than the wind to move.
While the domination of the sea is important, our flintlock muskets are awkward to reload, and inaccurate. A newly designed bolt-action rifle, like this Gewehr 98 from Germany, will easily allow us to outrange and outshoot the enemy. And even on the seas, seamen armed with rifles will kill the enemy before they are able to board our ships.

tntey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2016, 04:21:04 pm »

While the domination of the sea is important, our flintlock muskets are awkward to reload, and inaccurate. A newly designed bolt-action rifle, like this Gewehr 98 from Germany, will easily allow us to outrange and outshoot the enemy. And even on the seas, seamen armed with rifles will kill the enemy before they are able to board our ships.
Ok. What do you propose?
Speaking of lowest intelligence, that reminds me of the fact that it's probably your first time in prison. Don't worry, I can give you some tips, having spent some time in a few myself. The best way to make friends here is to drop the soap during shower time. Try it, I'm sure you'll love making friends like that!

3_14159

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2016, 04:34:35 pm »

Ok. What do you propose?
I propose building the Patriot Rifle, a 7x55mm bolt-action rifle with a ten-round magazine. Where our musket allows our best soldiers to fire four shots a minute at a distance of at most 75m, the Patriot Rifle allows for twenty to thirty aimed shots a minute, at a distance of up to 500m.
Any additions or ideas?

tntey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2016, 04:36:43 pm »

Ok. What do you propose?
I propose building the Patriot Rifle, a 7x55mm bolt-action rifle with a ten-round magazine. Where our musket allows our best soldiers to fire four shots a minute at a distance of at most 75m, the Patriot Rifle allows for twenty to thirty aimed shots a minute, at a distance of up to 500m.
Any additions or ideas?

Nope. Sounds like a good plan!

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Blind Arms Race - Manonera republic thread - 1910
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2016, 06:47:38 pm »

I would propose a 12lb-er cannon mounted on a carriage to be pulled by horse.  It will be breech loaded from the side with an opening that can be twisted/screwed open and closed.  The cannon ball and explosives will be loaded separately, but all the explosive components are prepared ahead of time in a package for easy loading.

tntey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2016, 07:05:13 pm »

I would propose a 12lb-er cannon mounted on a carriage to be pulled by horse.  It will be breech loaded from the side with an opening that can be twisted/screwed open and closed.  The cannon ball and explosives will be loaded separately, but all the explosive components are prepared ahead of time in a package for easy loading.

I don't think a cannon is what we need right now.

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2016, 07:54:03 pm »

I think something like a breech loaded rifle would work out better, Since our infantry make up the bulk of our forces we should get them up to date the quickest.
Long Live Arst- United Forenia!
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2016, 10:57:21 pm »

I kinda feel like the rifle is a little ambitious; breach loading, cartridges, bullet design.  But sure, lets shoot for current modern tech first turn and see what we get then we can go less ambitious if we want.

Was it only one design per turn?

evilcherry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2016, 11:33:29 pm »

1 design per turn.

3_14159

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2016, 04:48:13 am »

I kinda feel like the rifle is a little ambitious; breach loading, cartridges, bullet design.  But sure, lets shoot for current modern tech first turn and see what we get then we can go less ambitious if we want.

Was it only one design per turn?
It might be, yes. But it also has, as I believe, the biggest potential for advancement.

If it works out, I'd definitely like to design an artillery piece next turn, which we'll then use as field artillery and on our ships. Depending on how it works, either a breech-loading rifled cannon like you proposed (though probably using an interrupted screw breach and shells, not cannon balls) or a more ambitious design.
The turn afterwards, a ship to mount the cannon on.

On the other hand, we're probably going to madly scramble to counter whatever they design, so who knows what'll actually happen.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2016, 03:01:58 pm »

I have a less ambitious proposal: Smokeless powder cartridges for our muskets.

We'd be able to build repeater rifles much more easily next turn, our troops would be able to aim them, rather than just be blinding by smoke, and if they turn out to be too complicated for standard use, we'd still be able to arm sharpshooters and skirmishers with accurate guns that don't leave thick clouds of smoke marking their positions.

evilcherry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2016, 07:25:14 pm »

I would like to see a quick tallying of votes. We are having multiple one vote and a half designs.

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2016, 08:28:53 pm »

Ok. What do you propose?
Any additions or ideas?

+1 I guess
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11