Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12

Author Topic: Blind Arms Race - Empire of Chang Shing Thread - 1913 design  (Read 12588 times)

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Blind Arms Race - Empire of Chang Shing Thread - 1912 Spy/Battle
« Reply #150 on: July 06, 2016, 04:21:11 pm »

Code: [Select]
[b]Rice Organ: An 8x8 array of rocket-launchers with vices to affix it to an open vehicle such as a wagon, wheel-barrow, or boat, a twin-gear adjustment system to perform either large or small angle adjustments by rotating wheels, an open vent to angle the exhaust towards a relatively controlled up-and-backwards direction and a simple arrangement of grooves with occasional crude-but-sturdy hook-like shapes to keep the fuses from interfering with one another and to automate the process of adjusting the fuse-lengths to launch all the rockets in rapid succession without interfering with one another.[/b]
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

KiwiOui

• Bay Watcher
  • Genetic monstrosity of unknown origin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: July 06, 2016, 08:00:38 pm »

Code: [Select]
[b]Rice Organ: An 8x8 array of rocket-launchers with vices to affix it to an open vehicle such as a wagon, wheel-barrow, or boat, a twin-gear adjustment system to perform either large or small angle adjustments by rotating wheels, an open vent to angle the exhaust towards a relatively controlled up-and-backwards direction and a simple arrangement of grooves with occasional crude-but-sturdy hook-like shapes to keep the fuses from interfering with one another and to automate the process of adjusting the fuse-lengths to launch all the rockets in rapid succession without interfering with one another.[/b]
Good design for some future turn, but we need a half-decent gun before anything else.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2016, 08:36:15 pm by KiwiOui »
Kiwis- Odd man out of both the animal and plant kingdoms.
Didn't we get the pilot? Can't we scan his brain?
If we did, +1, but I think they either got scrambled by the tractor beam or got blown out into space.
This is a normal discussion, folks.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: July 07, 2016, 01:22:09 pm »

Beneviento, what happened to your flag's color description? We gotta post it, but I couldn't find it :P.
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

Beneviento

• Bay Watcher
  • Rocks and Blocks
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: July 07, 2016, 04:48:08 pm »

It's in the description of the imgur picture, so it's sort of posted already on the main thread, but I can post the text alone if someone on the main thread asks for it.
And any man who may be asked in this century what he did to make his life worthwhile, I think can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction: 'I served in the Assaulted Lanterns Magma Artillery' - King Id I of the Assaulted Lanterns

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: July 07, 2016, 04:50:07 pm »

It's in the description of the imgur picture, so it's sort of posted already on the main thread, but I can post the text alone if someone on the main thread asks for it.

The GM asked for them, but if you already posted to the main thread (and he is reading this :P) we should be fine.

KiwiOui

• Bay Watcher
  • Genetic monstrosity of unknown origin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: July 09, 2016, 01:38:33 pm »

Your flag is very nice, Beneviento.
Kiwis- Odd man out of both the animal and plant kingdoms.
Didn't we get the pilot? Can't we scan his brain?
If we did, +1, but I think they either got scrambled by the tractor beam or got blown out into space.
This is a normal discussion, folks.

evilcherry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: July 10, 2016, 08:44:19 pm »

This is what it looks like for the Empire in 1912:
Spoiler: Chang Shing 1912 (click to show/hide)
Despite their dislike of the new uniform, all soldiers are made to wear these. The "Ace custom effect" is partly negated by making sure that officers on the Swamp side wear brown, gray, black, or green hair. The Stabilized Fire Crow, which looks nothing like the primitive rockets a few years ago, are mainly used as stationary batteries, as they are too cumbersome to move around the battlefield.

Naval Battle: Your new improved rockets, plus the rule change means your rockets are good enough to suppress battery fire. The breaks are not common but once found your ships will rush there to make the most out of it. Operational advantage.

Land Battle, Southwest island (Desert Island): While the enemy is much more capable of laying gunfire once they have landed, in practice they can never bring enough people to the shores. By sheer numbers you push them back to the sea. 0/3 at Middle West island next turn.

Land Battle, Far East Island line (Rocks on the sea):
The battle now degenerates into a gun duel. Both sides now simply fire their toys until some fortifications are silenced, before bringing in a boatfull of assault troops. Despite the fact that you silence batteries with more regularity, you men were slaughtered each time when they reach the said islands, while you lose ground every now and then. 0/3 at Middle East island next turn

Land Battle, West Mainland Line (Swamps)
Your new rockets find no use here, once again. The enemy has some disconcerting amount of small arms fire, but overall located in small pockets and isn't going to affect the big picture. Your camo did make your men live longer, but their life expectancy is dropping as time goes by. Your Fire eagles are barely enough to repulse attacks - reports of the enemy simply ramming their guns onto your soldiers are commonplace, but not enough to force you out. Stalemate at 0/5.

Land Battle, East Mainland line (Plains)
Your happy time stopped. Charging cavalry are now met by horrendous amount of small arms fire from mutually supporting positions, even your rockets are more successful in making them move around. Even if they met the opponent, the foot soldiers now have some gun attachment to impale your horses with relative ease. Your main line is much better protected by your new camo, even your COs still get shot with their distinctive hairs.

You stayed in 4/5 position, mainly because your cavalry no longer work as intended.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: July 10, 2016, 09:16:46 pm »

Alright, it sounds like they have a bayonet and their "assault troops" have some firepower. Maybe a sub-machine gun or shotgun? It sounds like we beat them at very long (artillery range) and medium (Eagle range), but lose at long (sniper) and short (bayonet/other gun) range. If we can get a sniper rifle up in the revision phase, we should be good there. So lets focus on a close range weapon to compensate.

We could use a flamethrower (as discussed before), though that would only be really useful in the marsh (and possibly for clearing out forts), and they snipers they apparently have will just pick them off. I think we should go with a shotgun, a short one made for use in close spaces and on horseback, letting us kill two birds with one shot.

Fire Sparrow:
A shotgun based off the Winchester Model 1897, with a 20-inch barrel. 12-gauge with smokeless gunpowder, pump action with a 5-round tube magazine. Its intended for use in close quarters by assault troops, and on horseback after charges.

We should probably be looking into something to replace the horsies soon. If they come up with a machine gun, our charges will become useless :(. We should probably wait until ~1916 for tanks, there are a couple of armored cars we could push out before then if it ends up being a problem. We might want to think about making a trench-digging shovel soon too, to go along with machine guns, but it currently wouldn't help us out too much.

**EDIT**

Gah, rereading it, it appears they have a high volume of fire on their side now. Possible a machine gun or sub-machine gun, apparently out in small amounts by the marsh report. Which leads me to believe they have a machine gun, which explains why our horsies are getting pushed back and why our assaults fail. Designing a machine gun now:

Fire Dragon Machine Gun:
Based on the Hotchkiss M1909, using the 8mm FE bullets for simple logistics. Gas operated, air cooled, ~27 pounds with a tripod that can move with the gun. Fed with a 30 round strip. Uses smokeless ammunition, as pretty much all our guns will from now on :P.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2016, 09:51:01 pm by Stirk »

evilcherry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: July 12, 2016, 02:09:05 am »

Glorious bump for empire.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: July 12, 2016, 03:13:28 am »

I didn't look up the link, but, meh, it is sort of okay. I do want a machine gun, though they are only tangentally suited to marsh warfare. I can't help but think that an S.M.G. would be better suited to the environment, maybe with a low-velocity 6mm round? Still, the machine gun would help with the naval battle as well,helping to secure landings and such... It is probably what team wheaties uses...
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Read the First Post!

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: July 12, 2016, 09:57:54 am »

I didn't look up the link, but, meh, it is sort of okay. I do want a machine gun, though they are only tangentally suited to marsh warfare. I can't help but think that an S.M.G. would be better suited to the environment, maybe with a low-velocity 6mm round? Still, the machine gun would help with the naval battle as well,helping to secure landings and such... It is probably what team wheaties uses...

It isn't designed for marsh warfare :P. Next year, the War starts for everyone else. This lets us choose from some cutting edge stuff everyone is releasing at a rapid rate. Specifically, I am thinking of designing a recon aircraft. This will allow us to use artillery in the marsh, which is currently our greatest strength. Later, we can add some air-to-ground rockets for more combined arms firepower. Combined with the sniper rifle we *still* need to pump out this turn in revision, we should be able to push back a bit in the swamp.

evilcherry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Blind Arms Race - Empire of Chang Shing Thread - 1913 design
« Reply #161 on: July 13, 2016, 11:31:02 am »

The design principles of a gas-operated automatic weapon is well-established, but for the still backward Empire its a phenomenal development.

Fire Dragon LMG:

A light machine gun, capable of a burst rate of 300 rounds / minute. The basic design is there - It can fire bullets, and automatically cycle most of the time. Soldiers complain of the reloading not working as intended too often, serious recoil when the trigger is held down, and its even more inaccurate than the Fire Eagles. Maintenance personnel noticed that barrel warping in the field is a serious issue. Manufacturing is also more difficult for your workers than you would like. Doubly Complex, 2 Metal 1 Oil.

Revise.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2016, 11:33:04 am by evilcherry »

griffinpup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: July 13, 2016, 11:45:38 am »

For an original machine gun design, that's pretty okay I think.  Should we revise our sniper rifle or should we revise this peashooter?

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: July 13, 2016, 04:48:27 pm »

For an original machine gun design, that's pretty okay I think.  Should we revise our sniper rifle or should we revise this peashooter?

Like you said, its pretty OK. It'll work at least, its not like our last attempt at a sniper rifle :P. We have needed a sniper rifle since like, the second turn, so we should probably pump it out already.

Fire Eagle MKII:
A sniper/marksman variant of the Fire Eagle. The main goal of the revision is to increase accuracy by any means necessary, including a longer barrel, field adjustable sights, better rifling, etc.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: July 14, 2016, 01:13:03 am »

Like you said, its pretty OK. It'll work at least, its not like our last attempt at a sniper rifle :P. We have needed a sniper rifle since like, the second turn, so we should probably pump it out already.

Fire Eagle MKII:
A sniper/marksman variant of the Fire Eagle. The main goal of the revision is to increase accuracy by any means necessary, including a longer barrel, field adjustable sights, better rifling, etc.
I would like to try the scope again too. We had one originally that people just didn't want to use, so adding it to a revision shouldn't be too much, and the increased details at range should really help for spotting targets. The increased aim-time might be a burden in the marsh, but even then I think that the ability to tell whether something half-exposed in a shadow from a hundred metres away is a boot or a rock would be very useful...
Read the First Post!
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12