Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 12

Author Topic: Blind Arms Race - Empire of Chang Shing Thread - 1913 design  (Read 12661 times)

Ardent Debater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Blind Arms Race - Empire of Chang Shing Thread - 1911 Spy/Battle
« Reply #75 on: June 29, 2016, 06:05:53 pm »

We're already kinda-winning the naval fight too, which is helpful.  Maybe just double down on naval rocketry.  That'd be kinda awesome

Maybe we could do both by making a "rocket ship"?
Let's strap rockets on our ship for motors.  Done.

Actually, not done.  Strap enough rockets to make a flying rocket ship.

I was thinking more like:

Rocket Cutter: A small ship powered by a steam engine, with additional rocket tubes to increase firepower.

I support Stirk, we should ensure that we have a solid foundation before we start to build the ceiling.

griffinpup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 29, 2016, 06:09:16 pm »

So to clarify, I was clearly being facetious...

Ardent Debater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: June 29, 2016, 10:04:19 pm »

So to clarify, I was clearly being facetious...

I thought so, but this is Bay12...
« Last Edit: June 29, 2016, 10:13:30 pm by Ardent Debater »

shoulderboulder

• Bay Watcher
  • i am the great bootleg!
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: June 30, 2016, 12:49:59 am »

i have a idea:
dragon platform:a large platform shaped cart,it uses 4 horses,it has a catapult in the middle,it has about 8 soldiers on it
no

griffinpup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 30, 2016, 01:02:51 am »

I veto catupult.  We're not in the dark ages man.

shoulderboulder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: June 30, 2016, 02:46:17 am »

i don`t think we have cannons
no

shoulderboulder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: June 30, 2016, 05:55:44 am »

some oher ideas:
a shotgun:would be nice
a revolver:why don`t we have these
a machine gun:we need this
a cannon:we also need this
a mortar:would be more easy to make than the cannon
a grenade:would be nice.
no

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: June 30, 2016, 09:18:53 am »

i don`t think we have cannons

We don't need cannons, we have rocket artillery taking their roll in all cases. Our enemy already has cannon technology, trying to one-up them there doesn't make sense.

some oher ideas:
a shotgun:would be nice
a revolver:why don`t we have these
a machine gun:we need this
a cannon:we also need this
a mortar:would be more easy to make than the cannon
a grenade:would be nice.

Shotgun: It would be OK, though not really a priority unless we start fighting in close quarters.
Revolver: We don't have one 'cuz we started with muskets. Again, nice to have, not a priority. We can probably just jump straight to semi-automatics when the time comes.
Machine gun: Yes, this should be a priority.
A cannon/mortar: We have rocket artillery taking their roles
Grenades: OK, not a priority.
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: June 30, 2016, 05:18:35 pm »

i have a idea:
dragon platform:a large platform shaped cart,it uses 4 horses,it has a catapult in the middle,it has about 8 soldiers on it
Change the name to "Rice Organ" and replace the catapult with about 4-dozen heavy rockets... Load them up behind the front lines, wheel about 50 of them into range, light the fuse and order an infantry charge...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Ardent Debater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: June 30, 2016, 05:24:06 pm »

i have a idea:
Change the name to "Rice Organ" and replace the catapult with about 4-dozen heavy rockets... Load them up behind the front lines, wheel about 50 of them into range, light the fuse and order an infantry charge...

This is brilliant. We should seriously consider implementing this, it would be a cheap and effective way to assure a quick victory against them on the Plains, from the Plains we could march straight to their Capital, where they would serve as excellent Siege Weaponry.

griffinpup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: June 30, 2016, 10:17:32 pm »

lol it's pretty good...  It's actually a really interesting idea.  We probably make a better rocket, then put them all on a  mobile death-platform.  We'll have to be careful of safety concerns, but good reliable missiles will fix most of that, and it's not like it's hard to make a stable platform.  Also it's awesome.

evilcherry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Blind Arms Race - Empire of Chang Shing Thread - 1912 Design
« Reply #86 on: July 01, 2016, 01:59:46 pm »

This is what it looks like for the Empire in 1912:
Spoiler: Chang Shing 1912 (click to show/hide)
In practice, your new Fire eagles have complemented the other guns. They are mainly used for elite forces which a high rate of firepower never then available. The sharpshooters still preferred the Imported Fire Phoenix for their higher accuracy.

Naval Battle:
Your junks wanted to participate in landings, but they get constantly shot when close to defended shores, forcing them to stay far from them. The best response you junks can do is to fire salvos of rockets - made possible by increased smokeless powder production, but long range means they are never accurate enough for the job. You still reign over open water, but what good it is if you cannot make anything out of it? You have operational disadvantage.

Land Battle, Far West Island line (Mountain):

Your new small arms are much more effective, but your inability to actually bring in reinforcements means they are never adequately reinforced. The enemy, with great difficulty, drove you into the sea. Fight at 2/3 of Southwest island next turn.

Land Battle, Far East Island line (Rocks on the sea):

In theory, your new guns should be enough to repel the enemy at their strongholds. In practice, the boats carrying them are usually smashed by opponent fire before they even reached the other side. Your commander in the area resorted to the tactic of having lone sailors to row boats around, holding only a rocket and a gun, to act as decoys for the new guns for the other side, and sometimes as a direct response to the other side's boats. Stalemate, unless something more drastic is done.

Land Battle, West Mainland Line (Swamps)
Nothing really changed - Your rockets are fired largely blind, and reports of the opponents new cannon is also scarce. Charges are now more effective, but they are still picking your COs, and your charges can't continue. You orderly retreated to 0/5 position.

Land Battle, East Mainland line (Plains)
Your commander in this field filed numerous requests for medals, for the large number of military successes on this front. More rockets are fired, charges are now followed up by elite infantry with good guns, before (rarely) your main line collapses to enemy gunfire, enemy arty fire, and sniped COs. In practice they are just pinning the opposition in position to be charged into. Mainly due to these charges, you quickly advanced to 4/5 position, prevented from advancing further by game rules.

You need a flag!

In this age of nationalism, its only proper that your nation needs a flag to be immediately recognizable in the larger world. Post your idea in the main thread. The best design gains a revision credit. You should choose and cull your design among yourselves if needed.

Minor rule revision

See main thread.

griffinpup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Blind Arms Race - Empire of Chang Shing Thread - 1912 design
« Reply #87 on: July 01, 2016, 02:02:46 pm »

Man we're getting wrecked

shoulderboulder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: July 01, 2016, 02:34:17 pm »

i made a flag:
http://imgur.com/MESMqal
it`s simple,but it shows the best thing that can exist,rice
« Last Edit: July 01, 2016, 03:08:39 pm by shoulderboulder »
no

griffinpup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: July 01, 2016, 02:46:03 pm »

So remember the rules of flag design:
Keep it Simple: A flag, they say, should be so simple that a child can draw it from memory. Kids will have fun drawing Japan’s flag, but not so much fun with Turkmenistan’s elaborate carpet-like patterns.
Use Meaningful Symbolism: A Star of David in Israel’s flag carries great meaning; however, the symbol of the rifle found on Mozambique’s flag may not be the most positive icon to represent a country.
Use Two to Three Basic Colours: Most flags get this right. Clearly South Africa didn’t get this memo — it has six colours on its flag.
No Lettering or Seals: Mexico has incorporated an extremely complicated seal into its flag — an eagle holding a serpent, perched atop a prickly pear cactus, atop a rock that hovers over a lake. Try drawing that, kids.
Be Distinctive or Be Related: I understand why the Scandinavian flags are part of a family, but Australia and New Zealand’s flags are virtually identical.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 12