Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 12

Author Topic: Blind Arms Race - Empire of Chang Shing Thread - 1913 design  (Read 12649 times)

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
Re: Blind Arms Race - Empire of Chang Shing Thread - 1911 Revise
« Reply #60 on: June 27, 2016, 11:03:15 pm »

I think that making it single-shot might avoid both some of the jamming and leaking problems, and help with complexity. We could lengthen the barrel, enlarge the caliber, take greater care in manufacturing to eliminate leaks, single shot should avoid jams and improved manufacturing should help with that too, and we drop the scope for adjustable iron sights for now.

I had consider it, depending on what is causing the jam problems it might not solve them (after all, we would have to make a brand new action for the single shot, without anything to copy). It wouldn't fix the leaking problems, as they are due to the bullets not fitting right. The current complexity is only because we are using Smokeless Powder for the rifle, the downsides to which will be removed next turn. We aren't sure what is causing the accuracy issues, increasing the caliber and barrel length might fix it, but might not.

Overall, the current design flaws (from a meta perspective) are because we rolled badly :P. Using the revision phase to reroll might be all we need.
Well, pretty clearly it was stated that the problems were due to poor manufacturing.  Just fixing that should fix everything, so we don't have to touch everything, and break something even more.  Though I think iron sights is a reasonable suggestion

I agree, especially if we use the adjustable ones suggested by Beneviento. Not quite as good as a scope, but they should work better than normal sights for a sniper rifle. We can always attempt to add one later.
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

evilcherry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Blind Arms Race - Empire of Chang Shing Thread - 1911 Spy/Battle
« Reply #61 on: June 28, 2016, 01:24:50 pm »

By some poor luck, your designers concluded that the copy was wrong due to misunderstanding in the units used in measurements. The intended bullet was smaller than the bore, therefore causing all sorts of problems. The "correct" caliber is 8mm, full-strength rounds. The larger bullet size won't fit the current clips (which were designed for a smaller bullet in the first place); accuracy isn't perfect but soldiers find it superior to fire phoenixes; and there was no time to fix the scope nor its useful anyway.
Spoiler: Fire Eagle Revised (click to show/hide)

Spying phase and Battle phase, for now. For the spying phase, you can ask your spies for some information on the enemy. I'll decide if your spies indeed know the answer or not.

griffinpup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 28, 2016, 02:58:36 pm »

Eh.  That's okay, I think.  Revision saved the day, a bit.  Soo... We're slightly more accurate, I think this gun could be made better in a further revision stage, but we're at least doing okay now.

How many spy questions are we limited to?
(Assuming as many as we want)
1. Do they use smokeless powder? (seems easy to tell)
2. Why are they more accurate long-range?

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 28, 2016, 05:05:49 pm »

Eh.  That's okay, I think.  Revision saved the day, a bit.  Soo... We're slightly more accurate, I think this gun could be made better in a further revision stage, but we're at least doing okay now.

How many spy questions are we limited to?
(Assuming as many as we want)
1. Do they use smokeless powder? (seems easy to tell)
2. Why are they more accurate long-range?

I am actually happy with it. While we missed the target of a sniper rifle, this will make a nice gun to give our rank-and-file as an upgrade to their muskets, especially when it becomes Common next turn. We can make a Sniper variant next revision phase, trying once again to fix our problems with it and hope they don't gain too much ground this turn.

I don't think they have smokeless powder (at least, not as a technology as we have), and the rules make it look like we can only ask one question. So I vote +1 to #2: Why are they more accurate long-range?

evilcherry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 29, 2016, 11:19:00 am »

Sticky Dumpling didn't find a way into the Republic capital army schools, for his Manoneran is never perfect enough. Better luck next year.

In other news, your interior minister also reported a certain foreigner trying to order pizza and spaghetti in a restaurant in your capital. Apparently the restaurant is frequented by your Rocketeers, and acts as their unofficial veterans' club.

shoulderboulder

• Bay Watcher
  • i am the great bootleg!
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 29, 2016, 11:47:46 am »

um,i know ii might be late but can i join
no

evilcherry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 29, 2016, 11:53:33 am »

Always, but this is battle Phase. You can stand by and watch the fireworks until I write up the phase for both countries.

Also as you are now in the empire thread, you should stick to this thread.

griffinpup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 29, 2016, 12:10:24 pm »

We're bad at doing things guys.  I wonder if we could even nail a white flag next build phase  :P

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 29, 2016, 01:32:14 pm »

We're bad at doing things guys.  I wonder if we could even nail a white flag next build phase  :P

Maybe if it was made of rice paper...

But no! We had but one bad turn! Us catching their spy means they fear our new smokeless rockets, we sacrificed the first turn for an increase in power later. We had but one bad turn, and even then we are more or less equal. Think of the rice, man! Do you want to spend the rest of your life sucking down wheat thins?

Ardent Debater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 29, 2016, 03:48:21 pm »

I'm here because I prefer rice over spaghetti. Now then, what if we imported some foreign engines and put them into our Naval Ships so they would be more mobile than the filthy Bread-Eaters in Naval battles?

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 29, 2016, 03:58:36 pm »

I'm here because I prefer rice over spaghetti. Now then, what if we imported some foreign engines and put them into our Naval Ships so they would be more mobile than the filthy Bread-Eaters in Naval battles?

Someone else suggested that earlier ^, so you have some support for the idea. If we do go this route, maybe we should design a Battleship instead of just jamming engines on junks and hoping for the best.

I think we should wait for the battle report to come in before making a decision, though. If we end up getting hit like last round we might end up having to make a more reactive design.

griffinpup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 29, 2016, 05:07:10 pm »

We're already kinda-winning the naval fight too, which is helpful.  Maybe just double down on naval rocketry.  That'd be kinda awesome

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 29, 2016, 05:32:25 pm »

We're already kinda-winning the naval fight too, which is helpful.  Maybe just double down on naval rocketry.  That'd be kinda awesome

Maybe we could do both by making a "rocket ship"?

« Last Edit: June 29, 2016, 05:49:55 pm by Stirk »

griffinpup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 29, 2016, 05:43:14 pm »

Let's strap rockets on our ship for motors.  Done.

Actually, not done.  Strap enough rockets to make a flying rocket ship.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 29, 2016, 05:50:02 pm »

Let's strap rockets on our ship for motors.  Done.

Actually, not done.  Strap enough rockets to make a flying rocket ship.

I was thinking more like:

Rocket Cutter: A small ship powered by a steam engine, with additional rocket tubes to increase firepower.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2016, 05:52:58 pm by Stirk »

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 12