Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 12

Author Topic: Blind Arms Race - Empire of Chang Shing Thread - 1913 design  (Read 12623 times)

evilcherry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Blind Arms Race - Empire of Chang Shing Thread - 1911 Revise
« Reply #45 on: June 26, 2016, 02:45:22 am »

Copying from some drawings, your men devised their own version of M1903, complete with its own bullets with Smokeless powder. Your armament officer complained about these problems:
- Jams are very common, with or without the clip. Soldiers refused to fire it in the testing and training fields.
- Bullets won't fit and leading to breech leaks.
- Even if they fit, they tend to be quite inaccurate, on par with a fire Dragon.
- Scopes are impossible to focus, so soldiers had dropped them, nor it is useful with an inaccurate weapon anyway.

He concluded that unless something drastic is done to this weapon, the soldiers would rather use the more reliable Fire Dragons.

Spoiler: Fire Eagle (click to show/hide)

Poor dice. Revise.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 26, 2016, 03:32:00 am »

:'(. I knew this project was far too ambitious. Sorry guys~.

Should we use the Revision phase to try salvaging the new rifle?
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

griffinpup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 26, 2016, 10:01:30 am »

Welp.  That sucks

evilcherry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 26, 2016, 11:14:39 am »

Welp.  That sucks
Do something! This is the spirit of arms race games!

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 26, 2016, 12:04:36 pm »

We really needed this rifle *now*. I don't think having ten times as many Crows will save our buts here, even if we make them more accurate first.

So lets revise the weapon, focusing on fixing the accuracy first, then the fitting/jamming problems, then the scope. If the scope doesn't work still replace it with traditional sights.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 26, 2016, 04:05:45 pm »

So lets revise the weapon, focusing on fixing the accuracy first, then the fitting/jamming problems, then the scope. If the scope doesn't work still replace it with traditional sights.
+1: It sounds as though it is just a problem with the bullets being the wrong size. So tweaking the fittings a bit should work, and really, the scope being fuzzy sounds like it is either poor-quality materials or poor construction methods misaligning the weapon. Actually, this all sounds like it is likely due to poor manufacturing, I have no objection to raising the complexity to reflect more effort in manufacturing, so long as it is below national effort...

Also, look into lengthening the barrel, I am more interested in accuracy than convenience...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

griffinpup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 26, 2016, 09:15:45 pm »

So we kinda need a fix-all on these problems.  At least that'd be ideal, right? Maybe it manufacturing problems, that doesn't seem unlikely.  We don't need a scope.  We just need accuracy and not jamming.  Jamming clearly manufacturing, so seems the accuracy.  Having a useful weapon seems worth the temp. boost to double complex, I think.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 26, 2016, 09:31:10 pm »

Well it is due to "Poor copying and manufacturing quality", according to its description :P. The scope was to help with the accuracy part, if we can boost it to double complex in return for actually working (sorta) right it would be worth it. We just need enough to have dedicated counter-sniper teams to keep us from being slaughtered.

Can we do that though? Its a great idea if we can.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 27, 2016, 03:58:14 am »

Well we need vision to deal with our officers being picked off. Either that or better concealed officers... Of course, we could probably have a separate revision later for taking our busted scope and turning it into binoculars... Spending some sort of action on better training might help too. a training system for snipers could make up for limited supplies of expensive equipment and better officer training could get us more command with less visibility...
« Last Edit: June 27, 2016, 04:00:06 am by RAM »
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Read the First Post!

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 27, 2016, 09:24:29 am »

Well we need vision to deal with our officers being picked off. Either that or better concealed officers... Of course, we could probably have a separate revision later for taking our busted scope and turning it into binoculars... Spending some sort of action on better training might help too. a training system for snipers could make up for limited supplies of expensive equipment and better officer training could get us more command with less visibility...

The general idea is that the sniper rifle would solve this problem. Either:

A: Our sniper rifle is superior. In this case, the situation turns around, with their guys being picked off by our guys like flies.
B: Our sniper rifle is about equal. In this case, their guys are getting killed at a roughly equal level to our guys, putting us on equal footing.
C: Our sniper rifle is inferior. In this case, they can hopefully slow the rate at which our guys are killed by shooting a couple of the enemy snipers, proving them to not be completely invincible.

In any case, the number of our officers and other important guys dying should be reduced. Assuming we can get it to the point it actually functions as planned :-/.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 27, 2016, 05:27:43 pm »

But that is why the scope is so important, it will be very difficult to spot enemy snipers at long range...
Read the First Post!

Beneviento

• Bay Watcher
  • Rocks and Blocks
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 27, 2016, 09:59:53 pm »

I think that making it single-shot might avoid both some of the jamming and leaking problems, and help with complexity. We could lengthen the barrel, enlarge the caliber, take greater care in manufacturing to eliminate leaks, single shot should avoid jams and improved manufacturing should help with that too, and we drop the scope for adjustable iron sights for now.
And any man who may be asked in this century what he did to make his life worthwhile, I think can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction: 'I served in the Assaulted Lanterns Magma Artillery' - King Id I of the Assaulted Lanterns

griffinpup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 27, 2016, 10:30:24 pm »

But that is why the scope is so important, it will be very difficult to spot enemy snipers at long range...
Seeing them doesn't help near as much as being able to snipe like them.  That's how it goes.
I think that making it single-shot might avoid both some of the jamming and leaking problems, and help with complexity. We could lengthen the barrel, enlarge the caliber, take greater care in manufacturing to eliminate leaks, single shot should avoid jams and improved manufacturing should help with that too, and we drop the scope for adjustable iron sights for now.
I agree with some of this, but it seems much too complex of a revision??

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 27, 2016, 10:37:10 pm »

I had consider it, depending on what is causing the jam problems it might not solve them (after all, we would have to make a brand new action for the single shot, without anything to copy). It wouldn't fix the leaking problems, as they are due to the bullets not fitting right. The current complexity is only because we are using Smokeless Powder for the rifle, the downsides to which will be removed next turn. We aren't sure what is causing the accuracy issues, increasing the caliber and barrel length might fix it, but might not.

Overall, the current design flaws (from a meta perspective) are because we rolled badly :P. Using the revision phase to reroll might be all we need.

griffinpup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 27, 2016, 10:59:10 pm »

I had consider it, depending on what is causing the jam problems it might not solve them (after all, we would have to make a brand new action for the single shot, without anything to copy). It wouldn't fix the leaking problems, as they are due to the bullets not fitting right. The current complexity is only because we are using Smokeless Powder for the rifle, the downsides to which will be removed next turn. We aren't sure what is causing the accuracy issues, increasing the caliber and barrel length might fix it, but might not.

Overall, the current design flaws (from a meta perspective) are because we rolled badly :P. Using the revision phase to reroll might be all we need.
Well, pretty clearly it was stated that the problems were due to poor manufacturing.  Just fixing that should fix everything, so we don't have to touch everything, and break something even more.  Though I think iron sights is a reasonable suggestion
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 12