Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 12

Author Topic: Blind Arms Race - Empire of Chang Shing Thread - 1913 design  (Read 12610 times)

griffinpup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Blind Arms Race - Empire of Chang Shing Thread - 1912 design
« Reply #105 on: July 01, 2016, 10:55:06 pm »

Also, camo is awesome anyways.  Shall we blind counter that possibility by designing camo?  Nothing else seems super pressing.  A good boat would be nice, but a full-on battleship like suggested seems out of reach.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: July 01, 2016, 11:04:10 pm »

Also, camo is awesome anyways.  Shall we blind counter that possibility by designing camo?  Nothing else seems super pressing.  A good boat would be nice, but a full-on battleship like suggested seems out of reach.

I admit I am super stretching with that suggestion  :-\. Good camo (...I think I spelled that  dozen different ways now :P) would certainly help, especially in the Marsh. Double that if we end up with a decent sniper rifle. But our real problem right now is our boats and the island. Maybe something less then a Dreadnaught, like a water version of an APC built for landing? Or the Rocket Cutter design with a single Rocket Cart? We can let them have the marsh, I don't think they can advance in the same way we can't advance in the prairie.
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

shoulderboulder

• Bay Watcher
  • i am the great bootleg!
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: July 02, 2016, 12:20:30 am »

so what should i vote.
i have a few ideas:
-sun crow:a rocket with a warhead filled with oil,it might beuseful in the forest.
-steel dragon:a machie gun
-fire pigeon:grenades
-fire sparow gun:a shotgun
no

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: July 02, 2016, 03:05:46 am »

I could go for some incendiary rocket action. We could try to upgrade our propellant again and setting fire to things should be pretty decent for clearing a landing site if we just bombard it enough...

I recall that our rockets mention wings. Are they required for the rocket's flight? Or are they just there for stability... I ma not really sure if we have familiar rockets or something more like jet-propelled aeroplanes...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

evilcherry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: July 02, 2016, 08:24:22 am »

I could go for some incendiary rocket action. We could try to upgrade our propellant again and setting fire to things should be pretty decent for clearing a landing site if we just bombard it enough...

I recall that our rockets mention wings. Are they required for the rocket's flight? Or are they just there for stability... I ma not really sure if we have familiar rockets or something more like jet-propelled aeroplanes...
The kite's design is artisan rather than scientific.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: July 02, 2016, 11:00:09 am »

If anything, they would act as fins anyway. We already have smokeless powder, which is *basically* what is still used today in firearms, there isn't a lot we can go upward in terms of rocket propellant either without surpassing the rest of the world technologically. An incendiary rocket isn't a bad idea, especially if we can increase the accuracy and range while at it.

Eh, I still go for the Battleship. Worse comes to worse we have something to build on later, just a hollow shell in the shape of a Battleship would provide a psychological advantage.

KiwiOui

• Bay Watcher
  • Genetic monstrosity of unknown origin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: July 02, 2016, 02:52:44 pm »

Kappa Suit:
Cloth uniforms, painted in dull, natural color tones to confuse enemy soldiers, disguising troops among the earth and foliage. It is a form-fitting garment, complete with a hood.
Kiwis- Odd man out of both the animal and plant kingdoms.
Didn't we get the pilot? Can't we scan his brain?
If we did, +1, but I think they either got scrambled by the tractor beam or got blown out into space.
This is a normal discussion, folks.

griffinpup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: July 02, 2016, 03:20:28 pm »

Kappa Suit:
Cloth uniforms, painted in dull, natural color tones to confuse enemy soldiers, disguising troops among the earth and foliage. It is a form-fitting garment, complete with a hood.
This counters snipers too!

KiwiOui

• Bay Watcher
  • Genetic monstrosity of unknown origin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: July 02, 2016, 03:25:27 pm »

This counters snipers too!
Precisely!
Kiwis- Odd man out of both the animal and plant kingdoms.
Didn't we get the pilot? Can't we scan his brain?
If we did, +1, but I think they either got scrambled by the tractor beam or got blown out into space.
This is a normal discussion, folks.

Ardent Debater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: July 02, 2016, 03:26:48 pm »

Kappa Suit:

Good idea. +1

Beneviento

• Bay Watcher
  • Rocks and Blocks
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: July 02, 2016, 03:29:09 pm »

Currently, I think that because we lack a propulsion system or experience of any of the precursors that led to it, the dreadnought is far too tall of an order. I think that what we need most now is artillery. They've been pounding us mercilessly, and we have nothing accurate for counter-battery fire or to soften up landing sites. Camo would definitely help in enclosed areas, but they'll probably be focusing on countering us in the plains, so arty could help us keep our advantage there.

Black Dragon Cannon:
A rifled breech-loading cannon based on the 12-pounder Armstrong gun. The Black Dragon's design prioritizes accuracy and range, trading off hitting hard or moving quickly for hitting exactly right from far away. The cannon is designed for sea and land service, and manufacturers take pride in their work, often styling the mouth of the cannon with designs imitating the maw of a dragon.
And any man who may be asked in this century what he did to make his life worthwhile, I think can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction: 'I served in the Assaulted Lanterns Magma Artillery' - King Id I of the Assaulted Lanterns

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: July 02, 2016, 03:48:42 pm »

Currently, I think that because we lack a propulsion system or experience of any of the precursors that led to it, the dreadnought is far too tall of an order. I think that what we need most now is artillery. They've been pounding us mercilessly, and we have nothing accurate for counter-battery fire or to soften up landing sites. Camo would definitely help in enclosed areas, but they'll probably be focusing on countering us in the plains, so arty could help us keep our advantage there.

Black Dragon Cannon:
A rifled breech-loading cannon based on the 12-pounder Armstrong gun. The Black Dragon's design prioritizes accuracy and range, trading off hitting hard or moving quickly for hitting exactly right from far away. The cannon is designed for sea and land service, and manufacturers take pride in their work, often styling the mouth of the cannon with designs imitating the maw of a dragon.

That is incorrect-our current rocket artillery seems to be far more advanced than their cannons. Even then we should focus on our strengths, any upgrade to the Fire Crow should also be a rocket. Seeing as how we are currently ruling the waves, our rockets are superior, likely thanks to our smokeless powder upgrade. The plains also show the strength of our artillery, we are winning mostly thanks to combined arms tactics involving blasting the area then rushing the cavalry. The problem seems to be from their coastal defenses, *something* is keeping us from landing properly while still being better out at sea.

I think the problem could be easily solved by making the Fire Crow more accurate in a revision phase, adding a guide rod/fins would be a simple way to significantly increase accuracy.

**EDIT**

In fact, as it looks like we are going for camo as a counter-sniper tactic, we could use this revision phase to fix that instead of making a sniper variant.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2016, 03:51:00 pm by Stirk »

griffinpup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: July 02, 2016, 05:47:09 pm »

Improve rocket accuracy in revision phase and make camo(which should be really really easy) in the build phase.

Beneviento

• Bay Watcher
  • Rocks and Blocks
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: July 02, 2016, 06:03:54 pm »

The reason we can't land, if I'm reading correctly, is that our rockets are losing the ranged duel with their new cannons. On the plains it seems like we still hit harder, allowing us to bombard areas rather than specific targets. However, after some research, I'll support the Kappa suit and then revision the rockets plan. We could do something like the Hale rocket, where some of the exhaust ports are canted to provide spin on the rocket. A guide rod and fins will help as well.
And any man who may be asked in this century what he did to make his life worthwhile, I think can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction: 'I served in the Assaulted Lanterns Magma Artillery' - King Id I of the Assaulted Lanterns

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: July 02, 2016, 06:34:00 pm »

Improve rocket accuracy in revision phase and make camo(which should be really really easy) in the build phase.

The reason we can't land, if I'm reading correctly, is that our rockets are losing the ranged duel with their new cannons. On the plains it seems like we still hit harder, allowing us to bombard areas rather than specific targets. However, after some research, I'll support the Kappa suit and then revision the rockets plan. We could do something like the Hale rocket, where some of the exhaust ports are canted to provide spin on the rocket. A guide rod and fins will help as well.

Fine, fine, I'll change my vote from Battleship to camo. We need to build something not designed by me anyway :P.

Hale rockets are probably fine, but can't be mixed with a guide rod. But "fins" are pretty simple, and the Hale Rocket was made in the mid 1800s and should be easy to master. We aren't losing a ranged duel, they are losing when they try to *land* which means they are loosing in close quarters. Since they get killed if they get to close, they are trying to blast them from far away, but not able to hit the target very often. More accurate rockets mean they can soften up the bad guys at a distance, letting them land.

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 12