Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Declare your allegiance!

Empire of Chang Shing's rice is the best!
- 8 (38.1%)
Manonera Republic's wheat is better!
- 6 (28.6%)
Oats!
- 3 (14.3%)
Sorry, I eat cornbread.
- 3 (14.3%)
How about another pint of Beer made from Barley malt?
- 1 (4.8%)

Total Members Voted: 20

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Blind Arms Race Main Thread - 1912  (Read 5938 times)

evilcherry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Blind Arms Race Main Thread - 1912
« on: June 19, 2016, 02:39:38 pm »

Arms race is a game of two teams designing weapons to outgun and obliterate the other side. Sometimes they succeed. Sometimes they fail hilariously.

Chang Shing Thread: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=158853.0
Manonera Thread: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=158854.0

Background

Two states has always been there on the island, or small continent of Proigrav.

On the south is the Empire of Chang Shing, who claimed they had supremacy over the continent for 4000 years, and the Manonera republic were intruders. They complain of the Manonerans of draining the land, turning perfectly good rice paddies into wheat fields. They believe that Rice, and by extension rice sheets and noodles, are superior to Wheat.

On the north side is the Manonera Republic. They said they were already there before the Empire of Chang Shing had ever existed, and despite not having their own government for some time, this does not dilute their claim of the whole island. They believe that rice flour cannot be made into proper bread and noodles, and insisted that only wheat be grown on the island. It has been so important that "To right to plant and eat wheat" was one of the main grievances when the Manonera republic declared independence.

For many years, fighting was sparse and mainly consisted of strong worded threats, and the occasional throwing of food anathema to the other side. In the year 1910, however, things has changed. Last year, caches of weapons and personnel are being shipped into both countries. Within a year, both states are now armed to the teeth. War will soon intensify...

The land

I'm no artist.

Each M and O (except the name of Manonera of course) stands for 1 Metal and 1 Oil respectively.

Each zone has 3 or 5 parcels (As I don't want to count initiative), and can only provide resources for its owner when fully owned.
The top and the bottom white zones are the capital of each side respectively.
West of them are hills.
East of them are forests.
In the middle, there is swamps in the west, and plains in the east. Most arguments on wheat and rice rises there.
The islands on the corner are small desert islands (that somehow have ludicrously amount of resources).
The islands in the middle are mountainous.

You can only advance from a  fully owned zone to adjecent zones.
The capitals are adjacent to the hills and forests.
The hills are adjacent to the swamps and corner islands.
The forests are adjacent to the plains and corner islands.
The corner islands are adjacent to the closest land, and the middle islands.
Exception to the rule: The corner islands can be accessed from the capital on their side. The docks at the capitals provide the necessary infrastructure to transport troops and weapons.

The Weapons

For reference, the state of the art technology in Europe and the Americas is this:
Spoiler: shameless copy (click to show/hide)

Chang Shing uses these weapons:
Spoiler: Chang Shing 1910 (click to show/hide)
Manonera uses these weapons:
Spoiler: Manonera 1910 (click to show/hide)

The Rules
There will be thread for each nation. You should stick to one side and post in one thread only! Since this game is to be blind as blind chess, I hope players adhere to this rule strictly. In the thread you suggest what the nations will do this turn, and vote on them if needed.
Each turn there will be 3 phases:
- Design phase: You design a brand new product, and I'll throw some dice to decide the outcome, including its ability, specs, and bugs (if any). If it is too ambitious the odds of succeeding will be lower, and more bugs may be introduced. You can of course revise an old weapon to use new technology in this phase.
- Revision phase: You try to iron out bugs, add features, or to make a different version of a same product, like sawing a rifle shorter to make carbines.
- Spying and action phase: New weapons are rolled out and you get to see how good they will perform in the field. In addition, you can ask your spies on a question about the capabilities of the other side. Depend on how the question is asked, the spies may not answer at all, but if a spy answer, the spy will always give a truthful answer something dictates otherwise.

You may sometimes gain a design or revision credit, which is essentially an extra design or revision phase to be used next turn.

Expense: Equipment which you can cover its cost is Common. If you are short by 1 units, its uncommon. 2 units, Expensive. 3-4 units, very expensive. More than 4, its a National Effort. Complex equipment bump the cost by 1 tier. Doubly complex equipment bump the cost by 2 tiers. So on and so forth.

Common equipment means everyone can have access to one.
Uncommon equipment means 1/10.
Expensive equipment means 1/100.
Very expensive equipment means 1/1000.
National effort means there can be only 1 in service at any time. In addition, there can only be 1 National Effort equipment active at any time.
Note that very expensive tanks does not mean 1 tank per 1000 soldiers - but rather the tank produced can only serve the needs of 1 out of 1000 soldiers. Most probably you will have fewer than 1/1000 in absolute numbers.

Resource: Any resource that you completely control and can be transported by your transport capacity (simply the sum of transport capacity in your list) will be utilized. If you have more resources than you can transport you should designate what to transport in your design/revision phases.
However, grace rules applies here: You will only feel the effect your loss after the battle phase of next turn, unless you are caught in a tie, which you will lose. If tungsten is not available, people will make penetrators from steel, bronze, before not bothering with it at all. Planes will be made with steel if there is no aluminium.
Also, if one side is down to less than 1 metal or oil, they will have the minimum of 1. Think foreign adventurers bringing in metal and oil as investment.

Additional Rules:

This is a blind game. Battle reports will only be posted in the respective thread to the perspective of the respective nation. You won't even know what the other side designed except their actual effects on the battlefield. No cheating will be tolerated.

No excessive lawyering. If something turned out bad, you are unlucky. Take it and utilize your future phases.

Make me apologize. That said if you think any sane man will say that I've erred, make your point clearly so I have no choice but to apologize and make remedies, usually in the form of revise or design credits.

They are copycats. In general going ahead of time is harder than making up lost ground. There was no Wikipedia but some copies of the British Encyclopedia should give your designers enough ideas to copy from.

Rules are subject to unannounced changes or retcons if I found a bug.

This is going to be a quick and experimental game. 24 hours per phase, majority rules, first shot breaks ties. Don't be surprised if there is less fluff.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2016, 02:01:04 pm by evilcherry »

evilcherry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Blind Arms Race Main Thread
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2016, 02:40:06 pm »

Reserved.

evilcherry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2016, 02:40:59 pm »

Reserved twice.

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2016, 02:42:26 pm »

PTW
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

tntey

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Fishbone for its ska
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2016, 02:54:04 pm »

PTW
Speaking of lowest intelligence, that reminds me of the fact that it's probably your first time in prison. Don't worry, I can give you some tips, having spent some time in a few myself. The best way to make friends here is to drop the soap during shower time. Try it, I'm sure you'll love making friends like that!

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Blind Arms Race Main Thread - 1910
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2016, 04:13:50 pm »

Can we read the other team's spoilers in this thread?
Why does "MANO" get metal and oil in their capitol while "CHSH" does not?
Should that last question result in a penalty to any team that I might choose to join?
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

3_14159

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2016, 04:15:33 pm »

Joining the Manonera Republic.

Should that last question result in a penalty to any team that I might choose to join?
Each M and O (except the name of Manonera of course) stands for 1 Metal and 1 Oil respectively.

High tyrol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2016, 04:57:58 pm »

Joining the Manonera Republic.

KiwiOui

• Bay Watcher
  • Genetic monstrosity of unknown origin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2016, 06:54:03 pm »

Joining, for the Empire!
Kiwis- Odd man out of both the animal and plant kingdoms.
Didn't we get the pilot? Can't we scan his brain?
If we did, +1, but I think they either got scrambled by the tractor beam or got blown out into space.
This is a normal discussion, folks.

evilcherry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2016, 07:21:38 pm »

Having M and Os in its name does not mean Manonera have metal or oil in their capital.

Its explicitly mentioned, anyway.

Anything on this thread is public knowledge.

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2016, 07:55:43 pm »

For the Republic!
Long Live Arst- United Forenia!
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.

evilcherry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2016, 08:37:41 pm »

Need more fools players for the Chang Shing Empire.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2016, 08:47:34 pm »

I already accidentally clicked on the Empire's page, so I'll join with them  :P.
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

griffinpup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2016, 09:12:40 pm »

I shall join!!! Someone assign me a side.

evilcherry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2016, 09:51:13 pm »

I shall join!!! Someone assign me a side.
Empire is currently one man down.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5