Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Inrus the Forgotten Beast  (Read 4156 times)

Dravd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Inrus the Forgotten Beast
« on: June 19, 2016, 12:53:57 pm »

So I have started playing Dwarf Fortress 2 weeks ago and I am on my second fort (since my first one was horribly butchered by the undead).

Now that give you some context lets get into the topic  ;D

On my second fort wich is doing quite well I was looking for some fun and trying to cause a siege, somehow. And suddenly a Forgotten Beast appears on the cavern and i quote "The Forgotten Beast Inrus as come! An enormous humanoid composed of steel. It has wings and it appears to be emaciated. Beware its deadly spittle!"
  Me having two millitary squads one melee (with steel weapons) and another one half melee and ranged I thought: "Lets see how long it takes for me to kill it :D!" But then. All my attacks started to "glance away". So i did some research and apparently Im gonna get wrecked XD

So if there is still anything for me to do please tell me!
(first post btw)

Killgoth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Inrus the Forgotten Beast
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2016, 01:06:54 pm »

You can kill it with a cave in trap. You will need to build a support beam and carve out a large area stone that the beam suports. Then connect the beam to a lever so you can remotely destroy it. Then put some chained dogs, cats, goats etc underneath the trap as bait.

Once the beast comes and busies itself massacering the bait, flip the lever and crush it.

I am pretty sure that is the only way to kill it because steel is magma safe.

Dravd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2016, 01:12:20 pm »

You know what im just gonna watch my dwarves die its probably easier

But im gonna at least give it a try
« Last Edit: June 19, 2016, 01:15:11 pm by Dravd »

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2016, 01:15:00 pm »

I'd also recommend not making half melee and ranged, because that doesn't work, at all.
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia

Dravd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2016, 01:21:49 pm »

Recomendation take !

Dravd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2016, 02:02:45 pm »

Im still setting the trap but how do I stop my whole fortress from trying to kill the FB?
« Last Edit: June 19, 2016, 02:07:43 pm by Dravd »

Jako98145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2016, 04:37:15 pm »

Im still setting the trap but how do I stop my whole fortress from trying to kill the FB?

Make a burrow in some room inside the fort, away from the FB, go into the military menu, go into the alert tab by pressing [a], make a new alert, press enter, and press enter on the burrow's name, which will activate it.  This way, all of your dwarfs will enter a sort of "panic room" that they can't escape from until you deactivate the alert.  Before you do deactivate it, you should lock any doors leading to the FB, so your dwarfs don't charge after it, or do something detrimental--as dwarfs have a penchant for doing--and so you can mine and attempt a cave-in.

If it's an FB that can destroy doors/walls though...then this won't work, but I don't think that's common, and I'm not sure if FB's even spawn with this action.

Pwned dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2016, 06:29:25 pm »

hmmmm, well steel isn't invincible, you can get 1. adamantine weapons 2. whips 3. a ton of crossbow bolts 4. maybe steel/silver hammers? and try to chip away the steel 5. cave spider+cage trap 6. lock it in somewhere until you can beat it

Dravd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2016, 01:43:45 pm »

Update!

So unfortunately i didn't read your advice in time. Meaning i have a lot of dead dwarves (i have 6 working dwarves left XD). But somehow i locked it in a room (it stayed still in the dormitory for a while so i built walls around the exit) meaning im safe as long as he doesn't get out! Since it skipped my trap and went after my dwarves now i have to find a way to neutralized it. The room is small so i dont think i can make a cave-in so i guess my option is that cave spider+cage trap thing. But i dont know how to do that so id apreciate some help :D

Killgoth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2016, 03:07:28 pm »

If it is trapped, then you can use marksdwarves to kill it.  I have no idea how many bolts it will take, but just carve a fortification into on side of the room and station your dwarves next to it (use metal bolts though).

Melting Sky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2016, 05:33:25 am »

A steel forgotten beast is no joke. Ouch!

Findulidas

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL:OFFTOPIC:5][NOTHOUGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2016, 11:37:43 am »

Havent had a steel forgotten beast in more than two years. They are so awesome.

Recomendation take !

You know sometimes bad english is so funny its awesome. Please dont learn.
...wonderful memories of the creeping sense of dread...

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2016, 09:25:05 am »

If it is trapped, then you don't have to worry about it for a while - as long as it doesn't get a reason to dodge through walls, it can stay there indefinitely. Though marksdwarf training utility depends on how deadly it's spit is and whether it is likely to dodge through walls, you may want to put it off for a few seasons while you repopulate the fortress with few migrant waves.

If you just want to kill it, then encasing it in obsidian could also work, though it could be a bit long-term to submerge the room in magma.
If it's an FB that can destroy doors/walls though...then this won't work, but I don't think that's common, and I'm not sure if FB's even spawn with this action.
All forgotten beasts are building destroyers, but they have to see and be able to path to the buildings to destroy them, and may prefer live bait instead.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2016, 03:19:16 pm by Fleeting Frames »

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2016, 02:52:10 pm »

Clear the hallway between the FB and the cave-room. surround the support with cage traps, so if he doesn't get crushed he's at least captured. place a chain with a kitten in it in between the cave-in room and the FB. take your most useless dwarf and put him in the hallway. seal the hallway from the rest of the fort. make the dwarf remove the wall in the room the FB is in. the FB gets out, kills the dwarf. kills the dog, sees the support, destroys the support, it either get crushed or caged. you might want to have a lever connected the support just in case, but he will probably destroy it himself.
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2016, 05:55:57 pm »

You can  just leave it. If its surrounded by natural/constructed walls/floors, it will stay there. If you wantd to cave it in, mind cave ins can punch through floors
Eventually when you go far enough the insane start becoming the sane
Pages: [1] 2