Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Does anybody else like pocket worlds?  (Read 1340 times)

Sorgklaan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Does anybody else like pocket worlds?
« on: June 19, 2016, 04:48:50 am »

I've been playing on pockets worlds recently and there's just a charm to them. Each one just feels more unique and quirky than the typical larger world.

Dyret

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Does anybody else like pocket worlds?
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2016, 08:12:25 am »

Kind of, though they often lack stuff like races, necromancers and worthwhile embarks, so I tend to go for sligthly larger ones. Might have to try a pocket world again one of these days, though, I definitely enjoy the smaller scale, feels like you can actually learn the world and what's special about it.

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2016, 07:27:11 pm »

Yeah, I prefer them but it's tough to have civilizations last for any length of time if you raise the number of beasts, and that's without goblins killing everyone anyway.

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2016, 09:33:05 pm »

I only play on pocket or small worlds. I like getting into the history of my world and there's less of it to keep track of. It's a great feeling taking down one of the only mummies in the world. I see imperfect embarks as a feature: perfect embarks are boring and with experience Dwarf Fortress is too easy. Water and food can be found underground. Earn metal the proper way--from goblins--rather than that perfect embark you generated, swimming in free ore. Trade for flux stone. Aquifers are mildly annoying yet passable, and useful as a water source once bypassed. Force yourself to dig deep to get to magma, and perhaps pump it up to the surface: don't just start next to it.

As a bonus I can easily generate worlds without humans in them. Navies and ships aren't implemented yet so I can guarantee everything stays on one island.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2016, 10:00:29 pm by Taffer »

exdeath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2016, 07:20:47 am »

If you think about it, one positive point of pocket worlds is that the embark area is a bigger % of the total world.

If you use computer programs that work like gameshark you can even set the world to 9x9 to make it closer to embark area (never tried with 5x5 or smaller).

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2016, 09:05:52 am »

I don't see a signification benefit to larger worlds. I use pocket worlds and 1-by-1 embarks to conserve FPS. By the way, if any graphics artist are interested in 1-by-1 embarks, 20-pixel tall tiles are the perfect size for 1080p displays when using a 1-by-1 embark (21 pixels if you play full screen).

Melting Sky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2016, 05:47:26 am »

I'm partial to medium sized worlds, but to each their own. I don't do adventure mode so that might be part of why I prefer a bigger map since it gives the world a much richer and more complex variety of biomes, civilizations and historical characters and epic beasts etc. The smaller worlds grant great FPS but often the game's balancing doesn't seem to work quite right and you get races dying out too early, necromancers never building towers, all the titans getting wiped out etc. I like a world that is just big enough to get every biome type in it from tropical to polar and I crank up the number of sub regions to create a patchwork world with more variety in it.

ORCACommander

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:TORTURE_ELVES: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2016, 08:41:35 pm »

I like large worlds for the geography but small ones have more interesting history