Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Tribe Of Pok - Stone Age Strategy/Simulation  (Read 9301 times)

ParsleyPWG

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Poking Water Games
Re: Tribe Of Pok - Stone Age Strategy/Simulation
« Reply #30 on: June 21, 2016, 06:29:47 pm »

The game is being marketed as having a deeply simulated environment. I can't see it in the materials provided. Looks like a very simple clicker for a smartphone. Maybe introduction should be more in-depth, if there is in fact actual depth to this game that is.

Is a comment like this really necessary?
As a potential customer I want to know if content matches the text on the box. So far I can not see that it does. Hence I'm letting the dev know his intro is not very well compiled. If he can elaborate in finer detail on why he calls his game a deep simulation, everyone will in fact win.
Your comment, on the other hand, was indeed completely unnecessary.

Showing the deep simulation isn't as exciting as showing the gameplay, which is why I left it out of the promotion materials. But here's a gif showing the water saturation as water flows downhill:

And here's a chart showing the temperature fluctuation over the course of a year (12 days):

Emma

• Bay Watcher
  • Romace plots aren't actually that bad
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 21, 2016, 07:13:05 pm »

Really, just a healthbar? And you're showing this game here? What for? We are not The Sims fans or Call of Duty fans, we are  DF fans.
DF has healthbars, lol, it just doesn't show them to you to make it feel more "realistic", same thing it does with other physics-related things (did you know that DF heads consist of more than 50% muscle by volume, and are unrealistically huge, because the physics simulation cannot really handle objects that can move away from the incoming projectile/attack?)

As for the game: I've noticed that creatures tend to "stack" in a fight over each other. That's bad and should probably be fixed.

Pathfinding is hard, I'm not sure how I would fix the stacking issue without causing problems in other navigational areas. I'll take another look at it though

Ok I messed around with the attacking AI goal and I've got a semi-solution. If an animal detects another animal on the same hex, it will try to move to an adjacent hex without any animals present. Although you can see this causes them to jump around a bit as they try to avoid eachother while being close enough to attack... not sure if it's any better  :-\

~Image snip~
Actually that looks quite nice, in my opinion.

ParsleyPWG

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Poking Water Games
« Reply #32 on: June 22, 2016, 09:43:34 am »

Really, just a healthbar? And you're showing this game here? What for? We are not The Sims fans or Call of Duty fans, we are  DF fans.
DF has healthbars, lol, it just doesn't show them to you to make it feel more "realistic", same thing it does with other physics-related things (did you know that DF heads consist of more than 50% muscle by volume, and are unrealistically huge, because the physics simulation cannot really handle objects that can move away from the incoming projectile/attack?)

As for the game: I've noticed that creatures tend to "stack" in a fight over each other. That's bad and should probably be fixed.

Pathfinding is hard, I'm not sure how I would fix the stacking issue without causing problems in other navigational areas. I'll take another look at it though

Ok I messed around with the attacking AI goal and I've got a semi-solution. If an animal detects another animal on the same hex, it will try to move to an adjacent hex without any animals present. Although you can see this causes them to jump around a bit as they try to avoid eachother while being close enough to attack... not sure if it's any better  :-\

~Image snip~
Actually that looks quite nice, in my opinion.

Cool, I'll keep it then!

ParsleyPWG

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Poking Water Games
« Reply #33 on: July 12, 2016, 04:50:55 am »

Hi all,

I just updated the first post with a link to the new trailer and wiki page for Tribe Of Pok. Have a gander if you're interested :)

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 12, 2016, 10:11:07 am »

PTW
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Sarrak

• Bay Watcher
  • Venit leger cerebrum amissa
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 12, 2016, 11:34:37 am »

PTW, I can't wait to get my hands on it.
Science is always important. But it needs more flaming cats. Can't we build bridge-based catapults and fling flaming cats at the dust and goo?

It's time for the ATHATH Death Counter to increase once more in celebration for the end of the world.

Fikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 12, 2016, 07:15:15 pm »

I think this looks cool and good on you for not getting bent out of shape over the, "so it isn't dwarf fortress huh?" Style comments.

I think your new non-stacking pathfinding is actually really cool and it totally makes sense to me. The hunters should spread out and surround the beast and that might take some time. No problems there.

ParsleyPWG

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Poking Water Games
« Reply #37 on: July 12, 2016, 07:29:18 pm »

I think this looks cool and good on you for not getting bent out of shape over the, "so it isn't dwarf fortress huh?" Style comments.

I think your new non-stacking pathfinding is actually really cool and it totally makes sense to me. The hunters should spread out and surround the beast and that might take some time. No problems there.

Thanks for your support! I'm not particularly worried about those types of comments. Although my game was inspired by DF, it has its own unique game mechanics. There's no point making a DF clone when DF already exists!

Mookzen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 12, 2016, 08:35:30 pm »

This looks very promising, well worth taking notice.

ParsleyPWG

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Poking Water Games
« Reply #39 on: August 20, 2016, 12:49:58 am »

The Steam launch is coming up on the 23rd August! I've linked the launch trailer in the top comment and added some screenshots to hopefully give a better idea of the variety of gameplay.

I'll see if I can come up with any interesting bits and pieces about development/the game to post here over the next few days.

Feel free to ask any questions and I'll answer them best I can!

Zireael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 20, 2016, 07:28:23 am »

Is the game going to be free?

ParsleyPWG

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Poking Water Games
« Reply #41 on: August 20, 2016, 08:37:18 am »

Is the game going to be free?

It's going to be $11.99

ParsleyPWG

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Poking Water Games
« Reply #42 on: August 21, 2016, 05:26:22 pm »

How is rainfall calculated in Tribe Of Pok?

How rainfall works in real life

To answer this question, first we need to understand a bit about rain in real life. Water droplets form to become rain when the humidity in the atmosphere reaches 100%. Humidity is calculated as follows:

Atmospheric Humidity = (Current Water Vapor)/(Max Water Vapor at a given temperature)

Now Max Water Vapor at a given temperature varies depending on temperature, generally being higher when the current temperature is higher. So this means you need less Current Water Vapor at a lower temperature to reach 100% Atmospheric Humidity (which also explains why it tends to rain more at night time).

How this is implemented in the game

Tribe Of Pok separates humidity into two groups, local humidity and atmospheric humidity. The local humidity is the humidity on the map, which affects rates of decay of various materials, as well as the "apparent temperature" felt by Pokians. The atmospheric humidity is humidity in the sky, as calculated by the formula above and affects whether it rains or not.

Now for the atmospheric humidity, every hour some Water Vapor is added to the Current Water Vapor to simulate evaporation and weather fronts. The amount added depends on the biome and season (e.g the Default biome has a constant stream of Water Vapor every day, while the semi-arid biome floods mid-spring and then stops during Summer, Autumn and Winter).

Once Atmospheric Humidity reaches 100% or higher, it starts raining. While it is raining, the Current Water Vapor decreases. This naturally means the Atmospheric Humidity decreases as well. Once the Current Water Vapor reaches 0, the rain stops and Water Vapor starts building up again, repeating the process!

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 21, 2016, 06:48:24 pm »

The Steam launch is coming up on the 23rd August! I've linked the launch trailer in the top comment and added some screenshots to hopefully give a better idea of the variety of gameplay.

I'll see if I can come up with any interesting bits and pieces about development/the game to post here over the next few days.

Hmm....that trailer is lacking...something. I'm not sure what, but it's falling flat for me. Speaking as someone who is interested in the game based on what you've posted here, that trailer is one I'd have looked at and then passed over on steam.

I think it needs to showcase some of the complexity. It doesn't give me a good sense of the depth of the game which is a good part of the draw.

I hope that doesn't sound too discouraging. Just trying to help you get as much interest as you can from people's first impression. :)
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

ParsleyPWG

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Poking Water Games
« Reply #44 on: August 21, 2016, 07:07:16 pm »

Hmm....that trailer is lacking...something. I'm not sure what, but it's falling flat for me. Speaking as someone who is interested in the game based on what you've posted here, that trailer is one I'd have looked at and then passed over on steam.

I think it needs to showcase some of the complexity. It doesn't give me a good sense of the depth of the game which is a good part of the draw.

I hope that doesn't sound too discouraging. Just trying to help you get as much interest as you can from people's first impression. :)

I think I know what you mean, I kind of felt the same way when I was making the trailer but thought it was just because I'd seen it so many times and fiddled with it so much. I think I should have put the snow melting that was in the nature trailer in the launch trailer, as that seems to get a good reaction.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4