Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Tribe Of Pok - Stone Age Strategy/Simulation  (Read 9303 times)

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Tribe Of Pok - Stone Age Strategy/Simulation
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2016, 07:52:05 pm »

There are DF fans who are also interested in these sorts of simulation games, this is definitely a good place to show it off.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2016, 08:26:48 pm »

Really, just a healthbar? And you're showing this game here? What for? We are not The Sims fans or Call of Duty fans, we are  DF fans.

Are you an indie dev and do you have a better implementation available so we can discuss with the developer here if he's keen to adding more complexity to the current health system?
Have you yourself developed a game and tried to share it with like-minded people?
lol

PTW. Looking forward to taking over the stone age by throwing spears in everything, be it alive or not.
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2016, 08:44:20 pm »

Really, just a healthbar? And you're showing this game here? What for? We are not The Sims fans or Call of Duty fans, we are  DF fans.
DF has healthbars, lol, it just doesn't show them to you to make it feel more "realistic", same thing it does with other physics-related things (did you know that DF heads consist of more than 50% muscle by volume, and are unrealistically huge, because the physics simulation cannot really handle objects that can move away from the incoming projectile/attack?)

As for the game: I've noticed that creatures tend to "stack" in a fight over each other. That's bad and should probably be fixed.
._.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2016, 08:56:58 pm »

Speak for yourself. Most DF fans aren't so close-minded that they would spurn someone's game just because it has health bars.

ParsleyPWG

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Poking Water Games
« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2016, 08:57:43 pm »

Are you an indie dev and do you have a better implementation available so we can discuss with the developer here if he's keen to adding more complexity to the current health system?
Have you yourself developed a game and tried to share it with like-minded people?
lol

PTW. Looking forward to taking over the stone age by throwing spears in everything, be it alive or not.

I don't think Cormack was being serious... I hope. As I mentioned in a previous comment there is a little complexity to the health system, in that animals/people can bleed if they are cut and bruises affect appendage effectiveness.

I totally forgot about this, but I also have something of a battle report implemented for your tribespeople so you can see what happened:

ParsleyPWG

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Poking Water Games
« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2016, 09:02:50 pm »

DF has healthbars, lol, it just doesn't show them to you to make it feel more "realistic", same thing it does with other physics-related things (did you know that DF heads consist of more than 50% muscle by volume, and are unrealistically huge, because the physics simulation cannot really handle objects that can move away from the incoming projectile/attack?)

As for the game: I've noticed that creatures tend to "stack" in a fight over each other. That's bad and should probably be fixed.

Pathfinding is hard, I'm not sure how I would fix the stacking issue without causing problems in other navigational areas. I'll take another look at it though

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2016, 11:41:43 pm »

Some games that does not prevent units from entering the same space instead makes the units glide apart if they are within a certan proximity of eachother. This way might interest you.

ParsleyPWG

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Poking Water Games
« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2016, 11:56:14 pm »

Some games that does not prevent units from entering the same space instead makes the units glide apart if they are within a certan proximity of eachother. This way might interest you.

That is a very interesting idea, do you remember what game it was by any chance? Would be good to see it in action

Cormack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2016, 03:41:08 am »

I was kidding  ;D
Yes, I'm gay.

wereboar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2016, 01:56:58 pm »

The game is being marketed as having a deeply simulated environment. I can't see it in the materials provided. Looks like a very simple clicker for a smartphone. Maybe introduction should be more in-depth, if there is in fact actual depth to this game that is.

Scripten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 21, 2016, 02:18:55 pm »

The game is being marketed as having a deeply simulated environment. I can't see it in the materials provided. Looks like a very simple clicker for a smartphone. Maybe introduction should be more in-depth, if there is in fact actual depth to this game that is.

Is a comment like this really necessary?

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 21, 2016, 02:39:01 pm »

PTW
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

wereboar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 21, 2016, 03:21:19 pm »

Is a comment like this really necessary?
As a potential customer I want to know if content matches the text on the box. So far I can not see that it does. Hence I'm letting the dev know his intro is not very well compiled. If he can elaborate in finer detail on why he calls his game a deep simulation, everyone will in fact win.
Your comment, on the other hand, was indeed completely unnecessary.

Emma

• Bay Watcher
  • Romace plots aren't actually that bad
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 21, 2016, 05:55:54 pm »

PTW. I've been following this for a while! Good to see it here.

ParsleyPWG

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Poking Water Games
« Reply #29 on: June 21, 2016, 06:15:33 pm »

Pathfinding is hard, I'm not sure how I would fix the stacking issue without causing problems in other navigational areas. I'll take another look at it though

Ok I messed around with the attacking AI goal and I've got a semi-solution. If an animal detects another animal on the same hex, it will try to move to an adjacent hex without any animals present. Although you can see this causes them to jump around a bit as they try to avoid eachother while being close enough to attack... not sure if it's any better  :-\

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4