Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 15

Author Topic: Solar: a Transhuman Scifi RPG OOC [Started, waitlist open!]  (Read 16599 times)

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
Re: Solar: a Transhuman Scifi RPG [Sign-ups!]
« Reply #30 on: June 18, 2016, 08:32:32 pm »

On that note, here is my personal juggernaut. A tough bioroid capable of producing various gasses, and failing that, pulling people apart.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 19, 2016, 08:08:33 pm by GiglameshDespair »
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Playergamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dance dance hadoken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 18, 2016, 09:55:06 pm »

Spoiler: The Revolutionary (click to show/hide)
A troll, most likely...But I hate not feeding the animals. Let the games begin.
Ya fuckin' wanker.   

My sigtext

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 18, 2016, 10:01:43 pm »

You know I find that background hilarious mostly because there's a little love between the AD (OR any other nation) and the orbitals. Hell, first chance they'd get they would try blowing those orbitals into rubble, or introducing them to a cloud of rampancy.

That, and the public perception of terrorists is practically that of a cyborg :P
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 18, 2016, 10:02:18 pm »

This is relevant to my interests. Any particular reason why there's no bodiless AI allowed? I would quite like to play a virtual demon in this setting.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 18, 2016, 10:04:56 pm »

Probably the vastly different game mechanics involved.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 19, 2016, 04:37:03 am »

A round of comments and nitpicking for y'all!

@AbstractTraitorHero: as it stands, your background is... fine, though it could use some more detail. What is a problem, though, is your lack of grammar and clear sentences - it's a bit hard to parse what you're saying, and unless you can improve, I don't think you'll make it in the game.

@MonkeyHead, Sirus, GiglameshDespair: No problems I can see, looks good!

@Taric: Do you wish to start on Earth, or in wider Sol? If the latter, you should have some justification as to how and why you got off-Earth. Otherwise, a nice concept and a good app!

A note, though; while AD hatred and distrust of the Orbitals is fine, it's not as universal as you imply. Many Earthborn nations are more friendly to their watchers in the sky, grudgingly or not - it may result in the occasional tech boost or help when you most need it, after all. Some nations may even be genuinely grateful for the Orbitals' efforts in purging the Rampancy and any later piecemeal aid they may have given.

@Playergamer: Minor issues with your app - the Descent and the Rampancy began a century ago. If your character lived before then they'll be over a hundred years old, so there's probably a reason they've lived so long and healthily without augmentation or futuretech. Maybe they'd already received longevity/immortality-treatments before the Rampancy began? Maybe they were genemodded to some degree in the womb to provide slower aging? Maybe it's just the result of incredibly healthy living? You decide! Also figure out if you want to be off-world or not.

And Taric, your backgrounds don't necessarily clash as you might think. Perhaps the Dominion was more open to Orbital support in the past - this is only a year after the Rampancy had been lifted, after all, decades in the past - which would explain why the Revolutionary would think of them as being supported by the 'cruel Orbitals'. Or maybe that 'support' is the Orbitals' inaction: they're not doing anything about a fascist regime when they obviously could wipe it off the planet without much effort and liberate millions, those bastards.

@Egan_BW:
This is relevant to my interests. Any particular reason why there's no bodiless AI allowed? I would quite like to play a virtual demon in this setting.

Pretty much what Taric said. The mechanics are generally tied to physical beings, or at least beings more-or-less permanently inhabiting physical shells. You could play an AI controlling a specific body for the duration of the game, but I know that would take a lot of the fun out of it.

@Dwarmin:
And this is DH's game Dwarmin, you have time to make a sheet at your own pace.

This is true. I'll keep apps open for a day or two, at the least.

Glad to see so much interest! Ask any questions you might have; I'll comment on the other apps when they're finished.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2016, 04:40:04 am by Digital Hellhound »
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

spümpkin

• Bay Watcher
  • coming to you live from the action
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 19, 2016, 04:39:33 am »

Interesting!

Done, if you have anything to say.
Quote from: Sergarr
When in doubt, use puns.
Quote from: Calidovi
in our own special way we are all shitpost
each day, when the sun shines and greets us with a smile, at least one of us finds that inner strength to spout bullshit on a forum revolving around the systemized slaughter of midgets
dont call me a shitposter, call me a spirit one with the shitpost atman
Quote from: Descan
that's pretty gay

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 19, 2016, 04:42:34 am »

A little barebones, but no problems I can see. As a Jockey, you could start with a ship, though. Nothing stopping you from acquiring one in the game if you prefer, of course.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

spümpkin

• Bay Watcher
  • coming to you live from the action
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 19, 2016, 04:44:39 am »

A little barebones, but no problems I can see. As a Jockey, you could start with a ship, though. Nothing stopping you from acquiring one in the game if you prefer, of course.
Oh, alright. I was wondering whether or not that was allowed, but I'll edit it so I do have a starting ship.

Interesting!

Edited, so it doesn't explicitly say that It lost It's ship, and added some more general information about personality and goals.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2016, 04:49:56 am by DigitalDemon »
Quote from: Sergarr
When in doubt, use puns.
Quote from: Calidovi
in our own special way we are all shitpost
each day, when the sun shines and greets us with a smile, at least one of us finds that inner strength to spout bullshit on a forum revolving around the systemized slaughter of midgets
dont call me a shitposter, call me a spirit one with the shitpost atman
Quote from: Descan
that's pretty gay

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 19, 2016, 05:10:39 am »

The thing about the general distrust is that I essentially worked off the description in the OP, though the AD is certainly in the minority with it's rhetoric and even then it still plays nice with the orbitals (IF barely). Any co-operation between the AD and the orbitals would've likely been the result of realpolitik, and the case would've almost certainly been similar in many other nations. Heck, even in an nation that was grateful, they'd still be particularly... distant given how changed the orbitals are compared to regular old humanity.

Again though, The AD may well be in the small pool that's willing to take action against them though, if only covertly.

Now, for starting position I could go with either actually. Though getting off of earth would've required him to have been smuggled past the orbitals 'blockade' and require him to get back through that same blockade. If that's possible however, he could've been sent up to recover tech and such for the AD.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 19, 2016, 05:38:50 am »

The thing about the general distrust is that I essentially worked off the description in the OP, though the AD is certainly in the minority with it's rhetoric and even then it still plays nice with the orbitals (IF barely). Any co-operation between the AD and the orbitals would've likely been the result of realpolitik, and the case would've almost certainly been similar in many other nations. Heck, even in an nation that was grateful, they'd still be particularly... distant given how changed the orbitals are compared to regular old humanity.

Again though, The AD may well be in the small pool that's willing to take action against them though, if only covertly.

Now, for starting position I could go with either actually. Though getting off of earth would've required him to have been smuggled past the orbitals 'blockade' and require him to get back through that same blockade. If that's possible however, he could've been sent up to recover tech and such for the AD.

Yeah, that fits perfectly, don't worry. And being smuggled off is very much possible, yes.

snow dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Is always cold
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 19, 2016, 06:40:48 am »

Spoiler: Character App (click to show/hide)
Is this good?
Here at Bay12 we excel at Theoretical Biology. Need to know the value of Merbone? Check. Need to know the density of a thrown Fluffy Wambler? Check. Need to know how a walking Mushroom can theoretically talk? Check.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 19, 2016, 06:50:40 am »

The smuggling things back is a big issue though. Unless that's possible it's unlikely they would send him up there.

Also another idea with the AD and such is 'disposing; of dissidents by giving them what they want by hocking them off to the orbitals. It's not like the population up there is getting larger by any stretch :P

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 19, 2016, 07:04:48 am »

The smuggling things back is a big issue though. Unless that's possible it's unlikely they would send him up there.

Also another idea with the AD and such is 'disposing; of dissidents by giving them what they want by hocking them off to the orbitals. It's not like the population up there is getting larger by any stretch :P

Smuggling works both ways, sure. The paternalistic attitude works in your favor, here; 'Ah, it's just some weird, harmless Earthborn looking to see the world/looking to get home, I'll give him a lift'. The blockade is more in place against the Machines, Remnants and the rest of outer Sol to stop them from establishing a presence on-planet, and much less effective at keeping people in. And that's a surprisingly humane option for a fascist dictatorship. I guess they're not worried about the dissidents returning with Orbital technology to overthrow the government, or something. What are the odds something like that would happen, aaaanyway?

Spoiler: Character App (click to show/hide)
Is this good?

There are no Outsolars (that Sol knows of, anyway - the colony attempts and ships that have raced off searching for other habitable planets or other sentient life either haven't found anything or haven't returned at all). The odds of an alien species somehow looking like Earth mammals is pretty minimal, too. If that's what you want, you could play an uplift (a fox brought up to sapience and modded to be humanoid) or a bioroid/machine/construct designed to look like a humanoid fox.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 15