Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: I don't want magic  (Read 5474 times)

Cormack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
I don't want magic
« on: June 18, 2016, 02:56:13 am »

I don't want magic. I don't want my DF world to be full of spells, magic swords and other gibberish. I like it to be a low fantasy world. Will I be able to generate world with no magic?
Yes, I'm gay.

Findulidas

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL:OFFTOPIC:5][NOTHOUGHT]
    • View Profile
Re: I don't want magic
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2016, 03:10:09 am »

I can see into the future. The ball says yes! Now give me 3 euro.
...wonderful memories of the creeping sense of dread...

Chase

• Bay Watcher
  • I like video games
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2016, 03:41:06 am »

I don't want magic. I don't want my DF world to be full of spells, magic swords and other gibberish. I like it to be a low fantasy world. Will I be able to generate world with no magic?

Yes, but it's not the kind of magic you're thinking of. This magic will most certainly be MAGICAL
Fantasy World Simulation Enthusiast

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2016, 03:49:43 am »

The answer is 100% yes and the "fantasy level" setting in worldgen that allows you to turn it off has been mentioned every single time magic has been.

Findulidas

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL:OFFTOPIC:5][NOTHOUGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2016, 05:26:30 am »

(removed)
« Last Edit: June 25, 2016, 03:48:11 pm by Toady One »
...wonderful memories of the creeping sense of dread...

WordsandChaos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Words and Chaos blog
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2016, 06:48:00 am »

Confirmed: you can dial world gen right out of magick. Although I am looking forward to seeing what Toady does with magick. It doesn't look like it's set to be DnD style magick, and I can only think 'thank god' for that.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2016, 08:08:56 am »

I want magic, but I want it in a certain way. I want it rare. I want it powerful. I want it nigh on impossible to learn for any other then the most fortunate individuals. It needs to live on the fringes of myth and be spoken of as the stuff of great legends, and not dominate worlds always in the foreground. Think Gandalf like individuals with a finger on the scales rather than all permeating but underwhelming Elder Scrolls style mages. Magic will not be special if it is the norm. Encountering it should be a big deal.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2016, 09:52:35 am by MonkeyHead »
This is a blank sig.

rawrcakes

• Bay Watcher
  • [VERMIN_HATEABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2016, 09:48:09 am »

The Conan universe did magic the right sort of way, I feel. It's ridiculously powerful, but also ritualistic and slow, meaning it'd take a lot of work and a lot of time to get stuff rolling. Not the high fantasy running around tossing fireballs-trope, but more of a cult doing their stuff in secret for years and years, and suddenly a volcano's in your backyard. The slow yet descisive and potentially reality-ending changes over time rather than "oh hey look, i'm a marvel super hero.".
Niding absolutely detests humans. || twitch.tv/onnings

Chase

• Bay Watcher
  • I like video games
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2016, 10:14:35 am »

The Conan universe did magic the right sort of way, I feel. It's ridiculously powerful, but also ritualistic and slow, meaning it'd take a lot of work and a lot of time to get stuff rolling. Not the high fantasy running around tossing fireballs-trope, but more of a cult doing their stuff in secret for years and years, and suddenly a volcano's in your backyard. The slow yet descisive and potentially reality-ending changes over time rather than "oh hey look, i'm a marvel super hero.".

I don't know if you saw the GDC presentation but it talked about lizards with exposed brains singing and that has a magical effect on the player/enemy. That seems alright, clearly not what you're talking about and even though that was a prototype it's already looking very good and not something like: *cast fireball* and other generic stuff. Magic will effect the worldgen as well im assuming.

Just imagine the stuff you would read about. Dark Magicians opening a portal in a small town after being mocked and bullied. It gets me very excited!

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2016, 12:05:37 pm »

I want magic, but I want it in a certain way. I want it rare. I want it powerful. I want it nigh on impossible to learn for any other then the most fortunate individuals. It needs to live on the fringes of myth and be spoken of as the stuff of great legends, and not dominate worlds always in the foreground. Think Gandalf like individuals with a finger on the scales rather than all permeating but underwhelming Elder Scrolls style mages. Magic will not be special if it is the norm. Encountering it should be a big deal.
Well Gandalf was basically an angel, and his magic is little more than being a very wise person very knowledgeable about the natural world. So I'd really prefer magic not be of the type Gandalf has, and that's also not really what you want either from the rest of your description. However, from what I've heard about the fantasy level options, it should be possible to get very close to what you want. Actually, we already have what you want. Necromancy. It's incredibly powerful (effortlessly create massive armies and lose most mortal needs), and it's very difficult to get (I was just playing in a world where probably at least 100 people were praying to gods of death to become immortal, but only two succeeded and in total they had 11 apprentices). Anyway, I like the idea of magic being like that, but I also like the idea of magic being common sometimes, so it'll be nice to be able to get both in different worlds.
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia

Chase

• Bay Watcher
  • I like video games
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2016, 01:02:08 pm »

Well Gandalf was basically an angel, and his magic is little more than being a very wise person very knowledgeable about the natural world. So I'd really prefer magic not be of the type Gandalf has, and that's also not really what you want either from the rest of your description. However, from what I've heard about the fantasy level options, it should be possible to get very close to what you want. Actually, we already have what you want. Necromancy. It's incredibly powerful (effortlessly create massive armies and lose most mortal needs), and it's very difficult to get (I was just playing in a world where probably at least 100 people were praying to gods of death to become immortal, but only two succeeded and in total they had 11 apprentices). Anyway, I like the idea of magic being like that, but I also like the idea of magic being common sometimes, so it'll be nice to be able to get both in different worlds.

Common like how? If people could casually cast fireballs and such the history of that area should be based around ancestor grand wizards and such, I dislike the idea of a peasent dwarf picking up a book and learning a spell to be quite honest.

Broken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2016, 02:22:35 pm »

Eh, in one hand i understand what you mean. Magic, as presented in bad fantasy novels, isn't magical at all. Is just boring and stupid.

But in the other hand, DF has always been about a fantasy world. There is a reason why the first age is called the age of myth, why dragons and trolls wander in the night. The dwarfs themselves are magical, capable of sublime moments of insight that allow them to create unreproductible wonders.

The thing is, magical systems don't have to feel cheap or overdone. They can be done well (Look, for example, at Sanderson stuff). And i certainly trust in Toady capacity to write a good magical system. (Both in the narrative and Code senses).
In a hole in the ground there lived a dwarf. Not a nasty, dirty, wet hole, filled with the ends of worms and an oozy smell, nor yet a dry, bare, sandy hole with nothing in it to sit down on or to eat: it was a dwarf fortress, and that means magma.
Dwarf fortress: Tales of terror and inevitability

Ekaton

• Bay Watcher
  • Love the Bomb
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2016, 03:10:46 pm »

With great magic power comes great responsbility... for Toady to make it balanced. I believe that it will be quite a challenge for him - if few characters have too much power then they will most likely dominate the world too easily, and if it is too common than death toll will be huge as a powerful wizard will be able to burn whole towns easily if he had the power to command fire.

Fire magic is what I am most afraid of. In casual RPGs like Skyrim for that matter you can cast fireballs without much thought, but in DF one fireball can set grass on fire, and then burn quite a large territory - last time I had fire it burned the grass on the whole map and its spread is unrealistic too - it takes roughly the same time to spread in every direction forming a huge circle. In adv mode I believe it will have to spread more realistically and over a finite distance, but still, thinking realistically, one fireball has the potential to burn the whole forest with all civs that call it home.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2016, 03:31:10 am by Ekaton »

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2016, 10:06:02 pm »

It is a lot harder to burn down forests in df than you think, trust me, and no respectable beings would be caught dead living in them anyways.

Miuramir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2016, 01:09:06 am »

With great magic power comes great responsbility... for Toady to makes it balanced. I believe that it will be quite a challenge for him - if few characters have too much power then they will most likely dominate the world too easily, and if it is too common than death toll will be huge as a powerful wizard will be able to burn whole towns easily if he had the power to command fire.

Fire magic is what I am most afraid of. In casual RPGs like Skyrim for that matter you can cast fireballs without much thought, but in DF one fireball can set grass on fire, and then burn quite a large territory - last time I had fire it burned the grass on the whole map and its spread is unrealistic too - it takes roughly the same time to spread in every direction forming a huge circle. In adv mode I believe it will have to spread more realistically and over a finite distance, but still, thinking realistically, one fireball has the potential to burn the whole forest with all civs that call it home.

Why is that a problem?  DF is intended to be able to generate and simulate a huge range of types of fantasy worlds (including some that aren't very fantastic).  In some of them, it might well be the case that fire magic is easy and/or powerful.  Important structures and items will be made of stone or metal.  Living underground will be popular.  Shields will be important. Managing line of sight will be tactically relevant.  Ways to survive without extensive surface farms will be logistically crucial.  Various secondary technologies based on ready availability of high heat levels will be practical.   Sounds... pretty dwarfy, really; in fact, one could argue that a significant part of what we think of as the "default" mythos of DF is actually pretty compatible to a world with too much fire in it. 

Worlds don't have to be "balanced".  In fact, overly balanced worlds seem fake and artificial, because reality isn't balanced.  Frankly, I'd be more worried about death magic or meta-magic than fire magic; either has the possibility to destroy a world far more firmly than just setting the surface greenery on fire.  (Any magic that affects the effectiveness of other magic has the potential to spiral out of control in a feedback or feed-forward loop, and that's the sort of thing that a computer will have difficulty spotting until it happens.) 

(At this point, I've stopped really addressing the poster I was replying to, and am responding to the thread as a whole.)

It regularly baffles me why people seem to have extremely narrow expectations or desires for something as powerful as DF.  It's like getting three wishes from an immensely powerful genie, and asking for $1,000, a Honda Civic, and a ham sandwich.  Sure, there's nothing wrong with any of those things, but they are all things you could probably get in other ways, and don't even begin to explore the vast space of possibilities available to you. 

For a more mundane comparison, it's like going to a huge, high-quality, all-you-can-eat Chinese buffet and just getting a slice of pizza and some french fries from that bit on the end of one row put there for picky kids.  It's arguably not the best pizza, a specialized pizza place would probably do better, but you know you like pizza so why try any of the other hundreds of items?  Why, there's a risk you might not like something!  Ignoring, of course, that if you don't like something, it didn't cost you anything directly, and very little in opportunity cost, and can just move on to try something else. 

The likelihood that my "favorite" type of magic system is one that hasn't *ever been written before* is statistically quite high. How will I know until I try a whole bunch of them?  Humanity has probably only generated a few tens, perhaps hundreds, of thousands of well-fleshed-out mythos and magic systems (*); DF players may end up generating that many in an afternoon.  Sure, Sturgeon (and Kipling before him) was an optimist; but there's little cost and no reason to linger amongst the dross of bad rolls; pick out the glittering, never-before-seen gems and enjoy the wonder. 

(*) I'm making the simplifying assumption that many crappy fantasy game and novel settings, particularly the sort sometimes referred to as "sword and sorcery", reduce to a much smaller set of functionally similar world settings, just with different names. 
Pages: [1] 2 3