Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: [ISG] Goofy Rougelike the Upteenth: Naga Necromancer  (Read 3097 times)

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
[ISG] Goofy Rougelike the Upteenth: Naga Necromancer
« on: June 17, 2016, 12:37:59 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Your people, the naga, are a marginally tolerated minority within the greater population of human lands. Your family however, The Bloodline of Mamba, are hated and feared for their practice of the most vile of magics, and for generations have been exiled to the Stink Marshes, a region known for rough terrain, the constant threat of orc raids, and a charmingly vibrant population of feral undead.

Recently the naga community has been rocked so hard that even The Bloodline of Mamba, which usually does its best to ignore the more accepted members of its race out of spite, has taken notice. The Rattletail Staff, a powerful artifact that is the prized possession of the Serpentine Elder herself, has been stolen by parties unknown. Hoping to regain her treasure, the childless leader has declared that any naga responsible for returning it to her will be named her heir.

This is a perfect opportunity for you. As an up and coming mage of the Mamba Bloodline, should you retrieve the staff, you might personally be responsible for redeeming the reputation of the black arts across human lands, and as it happens you have a leg up on the competition in the form of a lead; A week ago, a small party consisting of a human, an elf, and an unknown cloaked figure offered to sell you the Rattletail Staff. You turned them away, because you were sure at the time that what they were selling had to be a counterfeit, but did happen to witness them leaving your family compound through the west gates, which gives you a fifty-fifty chance of picking up their trail.

You have told your grandfather, The Mamba Elder, about the encounter, and he advised you to set out after them as quickly and quietly as possible; He imagines that some of the haters might impede your progress if it occurred to them that someone of your bloodline might be the one to retrieve the staff.

Character Creation:

The Mamba Elder has invited you to take a spell book from the family library to aid you in your adventures, and there happen to be two that you are comfortable with using. The Wicked Tome of Decay and Bone is full of spells to torment the living and make temporary allies out of the dead. The Encyclopedia of Lost Spirits is less effective in direct combat, and instead focuses on exploiting the souls of those you slay for a more long term gain.

When you came of age, you received full body tattoos marking you as a necromancer of the Mamba Bloodline, but because your mother happens to be the family tattoo artist, she threw in an enchanted tattoo that might help you on your adventures as well. Choose one of the Following:

A - The Mark of the Wizard, which grants you an additional slot for any mid-level spell, including ones that necromancers might not easily learn
B - The Mark of the Demon, which doubles the damage output of a single successful attack or spell once per dungeon
C - The Mark of the Spider, which improves upon your venomous bite attack
D - The Mark of the Corpse, which causes magic to treat you as if you were undead, and makes it a bit easier to recruit undead allies
E - The Mark of the Samurai, which increases your max HP
F - The Mark of the Phantom, which increases your base AC
G - The Mark of the Ninja, which automatically grants you proficiency with any weapon you might choose to wield

Naga prefer to travel by night, and presently it happens to be just after sunrise. You have some time to kill before you leave, so how do you want to spend it?

1 - You could explain your quest to your mother, and try to get another tattoo out of her. (pick another boon from the above list)
2 - You could search the compound for allies willing to travel with you. (Gain a random party member based on a d10 roll; Higher is better, and seven results in somebody who is about your equal)
3 - You could visit the compound watering hole and search for side quests to complete. (Gain 1d2 Active Side Quests)
4 - You could suck it up and leave during the day, wasting no further time. (Mystery reward down the road)

You know the party with the staff left through the west gate, which leads to two possible dungeons. Chaos Avenue is the winding path that moves northwest towards Orc territory, and is plagued by various raiding parties of humans, orc, and sentient undead. Liberty Woods to the southwest lead deeper into the desolate and sparsely populated Stink Marshes, and is home to dangerous feral undead, as well as the monkeys and apes from which the human races descend. It has rained heavily since the strangers you will be persuing left the compound, so tracking them will be impossible, you are just going to have to choose a route based on instinct and hope you get lucky.

...Oh yeah. Our main character needs a name and gender as well.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
Re: [ISG] Goofy Rougelike the Upteenth: Naga Necromancer
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2016, 01:08:45 am »

An interactive suggestion game?  Interesting.

Name: Tethlak Sin-Sin-Ros

G: The Mark of the Ninja, literally any weapon proficiency?  Yass.

4: Mystery Reward

Take the Encyclopedia of Lost Spirits

Go through Chaos Avenue, better to deal with sentient creatures with weapons we can loot than fucking shambling undead.

How does 4th wall interaction work?
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2016, 01:15:02 am »

Throw 'Goofy Rougelike' or 'Halfling Paladin' in the search bar on this board, and you should see some examples.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2016, 02:49:06 am »

Our name is Gluttony, because forsaken Naga bloodlines tend to be edgy like that. We bear the Mark of the Corpse and carry the Encyclopedia of Lost Spirits. We opted to Leave Immediately for the Liberty Woods, figuring such criminals would most likely take an isolated route. And, well, also because we like swamps and somewhat racistly figured maybe the human was heading back to its own kind.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2016, 03:32:17 am »

You included a mystery box option. The vote was decided before it even began.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

tntey

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Fishbone for its ska
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2016, 05:47:39 am »

Our name is Gluttony, because forsaken Naga bloodlines tend to be edgy like that. We bear the Mark of the Corpse and carry the Encyclopedia of Lost Spirits. We opted to Leave Immediately for the Liberty Woods, figuring such criminals would most likely take an isolated route. And, well, also because we like swamps and somewhat racistly figured maybe the human was heading back to its own kind.
+
Speaking of lowest intelligence, that reminds me of the fact that it's probably your first time in prison. Don't worry, I can give you some tips, having spent some time in a few myself. The best way to make friends here is to drop the soap during shower time. Try it, I'm sure you'll love making friends like that!

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2016, 06:45:34 am »

Name: Sith Rassssssss

D: The Mark of the Corpse

1: Extra tatoo: G The Mark of the Ninja

Liberty Woods.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2016, 12:51:26 pm by crazyabe »
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2016, 07:35:42 am »

Go through Chaos Avenue, better to deal with sentient creatures with weapons we can loot than fucking shambling undead.

+1

But I support IronyOwl's picture

Ardent Debater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2016, 10:41:55 am »

+1

+1

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2016, 12:50:49 pm »

+1

+1
+1, but -1 to the tattoo. Take the Mark of the Wizard one instead, because characters who need to be kept alive for plot reasons should almost never be front-liners. Besides, who needs (physical) weapons when you have magic and minions, anyway?
Seriously, ATHATH, we need to have an intervention about your death mug problem.
*slow clap* Well ATHATH congratulations. You managed to give the MC a mental breakdown before we even finished the first arc.
I didn't even read it first, I just saw it was ATHATH and noped it. Now that I read it x3 to noping

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2016, 12:55:10 pm »

PTW!

Mark of the Ninja should give us proficiency in Literally Anything Combat Related if we phrase it right though!
« Last Edit: June 17, 2016, 01:16:27 pm by TheBiggerFish »
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2016, 02:34:07 pm »

Admittedly, being proficient in diplomacy, all types of combat magic (or any type of magic that could be useful in combat, really), and acrobatics is very good. Too good, in fact; I suspect that Weirdsound will nerf it quite hard.
Seriously, ATHATH, we need to have an intervention about your death mug problem.
*slow clap* Well ATHATH congratulations. You managed to give the MC a mental breakdown before we even finished the first arc.
I didn't even read it first, I just saw it was ATHATH and noped it. Now that I read it x3 to noping

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2016, 03:03:09 pm »

Hurray, another of these!

The Encyclopedia of Lost Spirits
The Mark of the Ninja

Long term gain focused spells, and we get to use either the best weapon we find or switch to ranged combat. A useful combo.

1(Second Tattoo) + A(Wizard Mark).
We shouldn't have trouble maxing out our companions, and I'd like to take a known buff to the main character rather than the grab bag that is quest rewards.

Chaos Avenue
If they tried selling to us, they're probably going to try selling to other intelligent beings capable of speech.

Mark of the Ninja should give us proficiency in Literally Anything Combat Related if we phrase it right though!
Judging by his previous games, and the tattoo's wording, it's proficiency in anything we can equip as a weapon, not anything combat related. I don't think we can equip combat spells, for example, only ready them in a spell slot.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2016, 03:16:38 pm by Nirur Torir »

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2016, 03:53:21 pm »

+1

+1
+1, but -1 to the tattoo. Take the Mark of the Wizard one instead, because characters who need to be kept alive for plot reasons should almost never be front-liners. Besides, who needs (physical) weapons when you have magic and minions, anyway?

Alright. Right now this partial everything-but-the-tattoo vote is all that is breaking the tie between Tethlak Sin-Sin-Ros and Gluttony (who gets a bonus vote because IO can art). I'm not 100% comfortable with using anything other than a straight +1 as a tie breaker, so I'll give this a few hours for more votes, but otherwise I guess Tethlak wins.

escaped lurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2016, 03:56:27 pm »

+
+1

Here's to a clean tie. I guess? ;3
Pages: [1] 2