Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Modern Magic Episode 0: Pilot (0/5)  (Read 6165 times)

Bliss

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Modern Magic Episode 0: Pilot (0/5)
« on: June 15, 2016, 12:20:13 am »

Modern Magic
Adding a twist of magic, adventure, and action to a modern life.

Blessed with a unique ability, 5 players will have to venture off into the modern world, as a team. Defending society and themselves from monsters, warlocks, and the law. Using a 12-sided die, actions that require basic functionality do not require a roll. However, any action that requires an excessive amount of time, work, or power requires a roll. Obviously, any rolls due to battle will require a roll (Dodge, Damage, Fatality). The twist? You must conceal yourselves from the modern world. Any exposure of who you really are, may jeopardize your lives. This means that whenever you decide to battle, cast magic, unsheathe your sword, or instantaneously release a multitude of arrows in public, or anything that reveals who you are, you'd better think twice. Whenever any of the aforementioned actions are done in public, the player(s) will have to roll for Exposure. Exposure is a 100-sided die by day, and 250-sided die by night. If you receive a 1 on Exposure, well, you'll have to see what happens.

Be advised, these 5 players are more than just a team, however. Their powers are linked to one another in a unique way. If any two players or more decided to attack one another, these attacks will sever their bonds and weaken their power greatly. In addition, any death of a player will result in a much greater weakening of power.

Trying out something new to the world of RTDs (hopefully, it's new).

Players will choose a class to their desire (see: Classes), complete the format given, and await for my response. This is under an "I choose" policy rather than a "First come, first serve" policy. Sorry, you'll just have to add time to your format.

Classes

Modern Magic Classes Stat Sheet

Spoiler: "Class Descriptions" (click to show/hide)

Format

Spoiler: "Format" (click to show/hide)

Roster
>empty

Modern Magic Compendium

Here's a bit of a backstory to aid you with a description of your character. (Nothing to glamorize over, it's a bit weak in details as I wrote this at 4AM.)

"Prior to the 5 players becoming whichever classed they picked, some were scattered across the world. Two of the five players were living together in a manor in a country (no name). The manor, passed down by generation to generation, is still unexplored to them. Up until the day the attic door opened. The two players crept up, went inside, unbeknownst to what the attic holds. Within, they notice a book, an old one at that. On the cover of the book, was a symbol that represented a triquetra but with a bit more design. They open the book, and begin to read off pages. The first page of the book had an incantation written on it. As the two finish the incantation, a blast of energy wipes them out. The rest of the group is then knocked out and warped to the manor. While they are knocked out, beings that exist out of time and space begin to supply the knowledge they'll need to understand their objective and what/who they are. Once they wake up, introductions occur. This RTD takes place a few weeks after."

A quote I sent to a member of the forums; just thought I'd add it here. Just to add on/clear things up:
  • Yes, you will ALL be living with each other.
  • Yes, you will be living the lives of normal citizens. This includes getting a job, paying bills, watering your garden, etc.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2016, 11:15:52 pm by Bliss »

Failbird105

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [RTD] Modern Powers
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2016, 06:14:32 am »

I'm fine with using discord, it seems a little unnecessary to me, but I do have to thank you for showing me it, it may very well prove very useful in the future

Bliss

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2016, 08:16:30 am »

Hmm... some background info please?

Background info on? Me? Discord? The RTD?

Now that I look back on my post, I guess a little bit more info would've been helpful. I'll edit that in now. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Mr.Zero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2016, 08:52:18 am »

REserved post when PC creation is up.
Durrr..

AbstractTraitorHero

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm still alive, how fortunate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2016, 08:59:59 am »

Seems cool I'll be happy to join I have discord!
((I just facepalmed so hard I have a concussion))
Rip Abigail South Death by Drop pod my avatar is now morbid.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2016, 09:23:06 am »

I won't be getting on discord (used it before, and it's a good program, but i do most of my posting from my phone nowadays and don't want open voice coms while at work.). But I am interested in the setting, vague though it may be.
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

AbstractTraitorHero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2016, 09:24:37 am »

I don't have open voice and I use discord on my phone.

Bliss

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2016, 09:48:59 am »

I won't be getting on discord (used it before, and it's a good program, but i do most of my posting from my phone nowadays and don't want open voice coms while at work.). But I am interested in the setting, vague though it may be.

I don't have open voice and I use discord on my phone.

Voice-chat is not mandated. It wasn't part of the plan in the beginning either. I was planning on just using the chat functionality of Discord.

Bliss

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2016, 09:49:28 am »

Classes have been finished; the RTD is still a WIP, as I want to hear more suggestions.

AbstractTraitorHero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2016, 09:55:52 am »

I think exposure should perhaps have a possibilty to have benefits as well some people will actively help you but things  be much more dangerous wait I do have voice chat that I can do I just have to click on it.

Dustan Hache

• Bay Watcher
  • What protagonist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2016, 10:03:45 am »

The concept and idea are sound, but the reliance on a third party program makes me reluctant to join. I have terribad bandwith, combine with a hesitation for third party program usage. I would join if I didn't have to use discord though.
I figure at some point, you're just gonna run outta fucks to give and just off yourself whenever you get hurt at all. It's not like there's any downsides to it. Hangover? Suicide will fix that. Stubbed your toe? Suicide. Headache? Suicide. Papercut? Suicide.

Bliss

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2016, 10:18:46 am »

I think exposure should perhaps have a possibilty to have benefits as well some people will actively help you but things  be much more dangerous wait I do have voice chat that I can do I just have to click on it.
Exposure is meant to be something you should always avoid. No good will come from being exposed to public as a bunch of maniacs fighting monsters. Like I said, voice chat isn't mandated nor was it something I planned on having.

The concept and idea are sound, but the reliance on a third party program makes me reluctant to join. I have terribad bandwith, combine with a hesitation for third party program usage. I would join if I didn't have to use discord though.
Discord doesn't require a lot of bandwidth; you don't have to take my word for it, but at least try it out. As for the hesitation, I can't help you there. You'd just have to trust that Discord won't mess up your system.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2016, 10:20:18 am by Bliss »

AbstractTraitorHero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2016, 10:28:36 am »

I'm saying it should have at least some benefits but the benefits are a lot worse then the negatives

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2016, 10:36:17 am »

I'm saying it should have at least some benefits but the benefits are a lot worse then the negatives
You need to stop trusting people as a group. a person can be smart, kind, and understanding. but people are self-centered, calous, angry, fearful, and tend to lash out at anything they don't understand. I'm pretty sure telling Individuals who you can convince to trust you is perfectly fine and wont cause exposure rolls. but tv coverage = death.
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Bliss

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2016, 10:47:49 am »

You need to stop trusting people as a group. a person can be smart, kind, and understanding. but people are self-centered, calous, angry, fearful, and tend to lash out at anything they don't understand. I'm pretty sure telling Individuals who you can convince to trust you is perfectly fine and wont cause exposure rolls. but tv coverage = death.

To branch off what Lenglon said, through time, players may begin to meet new people who they may trust with their abilities. But trust the wrong person, and their secret is out.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5