Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 69

Author Topic: The Legend of Zelda: Breath of The Wild: SEQUEL ANNOUNCED  (Read 102838 times)

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Legend of Zelda: Breath of The Wild
« Reply #90 on: June 16, 2016, 03:34:47 pm »

It looks like a mix between Skyward Sword and Twilight Princess. It's not as colorful as Skyward Sword but it still has the distinctive cell-shaded style(?)

Also, explosions look really damn good.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: June 16, 2016, 03:39:13 pm »

A truly family friendly experience.
Anyway, here's something to hope for: That the artstyle is as nice-looking as Wind Waker. I've always thought that TP and TPHD both looked.. Well, I feel like they're pretty to look at but in a decade they won't be, I guess? Whereas an artstyle like WW's feels very timeless.
Wind Waker is timeless, sure, but it doesn't really lend itself to a compelling story as much as a more realistic one does.

But, uh, there's kind of loads of free screenshots and gameplay footage on the internet... like the screenshot I literally just posted... :v
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: June 16, 2016, 03:42:07 pm »

I think you'd be able to judge that now, with all the gameplay footage out...?
I guess I mean that I hope it's fairly consistent in that. Iunno.
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
  • INT Score: Yes
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: June 16, 2016, 03:47:33 pm »

From what we've seen, it's pretty damn gorgeous. I mean, in my opinion, anywho. I know some people really don't like cel-shading (even though it's so vivid and pretty!).

It's funny that so few other developers have figured out that you can do a lot with cel-shading where more realistic graphics are extremely limited. Seriously - the secret to all that awesome wavy grass not causing massive framerate stutters in this new game? The grass basically has no textures. They're just... green polygons.

Frigging genius.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: June 16, 2016, 05:01:58 pm »

I'll admit I was really cautious about this at first, mainly because it seemed like Zelder Scrolls, but after reading a bit more I've realized that this very much is The Legend of Zelda - the original game, not the series. NES Zelda threw you into a strange, hostile world with little guidance and let you explore the nooks and crannies until you made your own way to the end. I got into the Zelda series after they got a lot more linear, and while that's not necessarily worse, I'm a sucker for more explorey games. I've tried the original, but I think it's aged enough that it doesn't have the magic I've heard about. I'm excited someone is trying to recapture that.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2016, 05:05:01 pm by penguinofhonor »

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: June 16, 2016, 05:35:45 pm »

Oh god, I just realized why BotW Link has those ridiculous detached sideburns.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
after reading a bit more I've realized that this very much is The Legend of Zelda - the original game, not the series. NES Zelda threw you into a strange, hostile world with little guidance and let you explore the nooks and crannies until you made your own way to the end.
Has nintendo managed to make both a many-delayed new-looking zelda and a old one at the same time, in the same disc somehow?
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: June 16, 2016, 05:49:45 pm »

yes
Black lives matter.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: June 16, 2016, 05:59:23 pm »

The original was a really weird game for the time being. It was top-down when most games were sidescrollers, for starters; it certainly wasn't the only bird's eye view game on the console, but it is generally agreed to have been the first widely successful title to use this otherwise new concept. This sounds like a stylistic choice, but it was huge at the time. Most of the successful games on the market were linear side-scrollers of some kind. Mario clones, Contra clones, Double Dragon clones were the name of the game. There were some weird ones, like sports games or board game ports, but those were either the exception or bargain-bin shovelware.

Zelda was different. Dropping jumping in favor of seeing Link from the sky was a huge trade-off. No longer did the player have to follow the preset path, beat up all the ninjas or goombas or aliens, and punch the final boss to death. You couldn't do that, even. The player was put into a massive game world; they had no map, no obvious direction to their goal. Your biggest hint was that if you bothered to read the manual, you knew Ganon was at Spectacle Rock on Death Mountain, and if you read the hilarious opening scroll, you knew you had to assemble the Triforce to kill him. Scant few NPCs told you where the secrets were. You had to find the dungeons on your own, figure out how to kill the bosses, collect the items you needed. The game developers later stated in interviews that they fully expected players to make world maps on graph paper, keep notes, share advice with friends.

The structure of Breath of the Wild isn't the only thing reflective of a return to this philosophy. The new mechanics--a jump button, climbing everything, a more open-ended equipment system--are a deliberate attempt to be the next bird's-eye view. Zelda 1 afforded players a huge world they could take on in any way they wanted--something that became lost to a degree as the later games came, with the Nintendo 64's necessary waist-high fences giving players then-unprecedented mobility but leading to Wind Waker, Twilight Princess, and Skyward Sword becoming more restrictive than their gaming contemporaries. Climbing everywhere and jumping everywhere afford the player new opportunities to explore the world in a way that the games since Ocarina of Time haven't offered.

Nintendo's been going after this for a while. Skyward Sword was built to challenge assumptions. Link Between Worlds deliberately evokes Link to the Past's design. And Breath of the Wild? Breath of the Wild is Nintendo finally being able to realize their goal--this isn't just a new Zelda. This is Zelda 1 the way it was meant to be played, free of the restrictions of the NES, free of the restrictions of the Nintendo 64. This is the Metal Gear Solid to Metal Gear 1, the Street Fighter II to Street Fighter I--the original vision done the way it was meant--just on a 30-year time scale.

...Did I just turn an intended 1-paragraph forum post into an essay about the evolution of a video game feature again? What the hell? This happens every time.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: June 16, 2016, 06:11:23 pm »

Oh god, I just realized why BotW Link has those ridiculous detached sideburns.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
after reading a bit more I've realized that this very much is The Legend of Zelda - the original game, not the series. NES Zelda threw you into a strange, hostile world with little guidance and let you explore the nooks and crannies until you made your own way to the end.
Has nintendo managed to make both a many-delayed new-looking zelda and a old one at the same time, in the same disc somehow?

Yep! In fact the cliff you stand on at the beginning is confirmed to be meant to be the exact same cliff Link is standing on in the artwork at the start of the original Legend of Zelda manual, and you can even find the same twin mountainpeaks from it.

In other news

Based on zooming out to see the full map in the demo, people have calculated that Hyrule is about 360 square kilometers. This is around 9.7 times the size of Skyrim.

It's been noticed that there's a rather conspicuous floating island floating above the mountains that can be seen in the distance if you climb somewhere high up at the start of the demo.

It's been shown that dynamite fishing is a perfectly legitimate tactic.

Here are some more screenshots showing early story details

And finally people have already translated the Hylian script for the game, and discovered that the text on the waypoint markers say, "It's dangerous to go alone" :)
« Last Edit: June 16, 2016, 08:52:35 pm by Furtuka »
It's FEF, not FEOF

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: June 16, 2016, 08:10:25 pm »

Holy shit. :3
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.

Wolfhunter107

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: June 16, 2016, 09:22:23 pm »

Yeah. The entire trailer, and the whole open-world + nonlinear aspects felt really, really reminiscent of Zelda I, even though I've barely played it.  It also reminds me of an interview I heard about with the lead developer where he said that one of the biggest influences he had when designing Zelda I was the sense of wonder he felt as a child when exploring the forest around his house. It definitely feels like that's showing up again here.
Just ask yourself: What would a mobster do?
So we butcher them and build a 4chan tallow soap tower as a monument to our greatness?

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: June 16, 2016, 09:28:25 pm »

I was honestly surprised when, at the beginning of the demo, the old man didn't say "It's dangerous to go alone, take this." and offer Link a cheap sword to start with. He does comment on you stealing his apples...

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: June 16, 2016, 09:58:54 pm »

That dialogue option though.
'Did you recognize the voice?' "Yes" or "..."
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: June 16, 2016, 10:42:23 pm »

I like that. A mixture of the previous games' "verbally silent protagonist who speaks via text" and literally being a silent protagonist.
Black lives matter.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: June 16, 2016, 11:03:22 pm »

I wonder if the game will comment on the fact that things not dropping from tall grass implies bad things happened to the Minish.
It's FEF, not FEOF
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 69