Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Help with trying to stop cheating.  (Read 4547 times)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Re: Help with trying to stop cheating.
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2016, 05:38:33 am »

Just take a set of divorce papers to school and give them to your teacher saying "There. Now you can never catch me cheating anymore, we're divorced now."
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2016, 06:58:33 am »

Just take a set of divorce papers to school and give them to your teacher saying "There. Now you can never catch me cheating anymore, we're divorced now."
ha funny
Eventually when you go far enough the insane start becoming the sane

Detoxicated

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCarpenter
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2016, 08:35:31 am »

Hey thanks for asking these questions, I should have 10 years ago. Now I have a similar problem to yours, only that the end results are not cheating but bad rep...
Working on it and I stumble over this.

I have a slight problem. It's that I can't stop myself in cheating sometimes. I have a lot of school stuff to do online but I always end up doing something else. This gets me in trouble and I usually get a few days ban on doing non school stuff on my computer. And I can't stop. I know this is going to end badly but I keep on doing it. I just can't stop myself.and it's so stupid. Like I could've waited half an hour but no.

Any advice?
I'm skipping from the OP ._. sorry because constrained time here!

Personal advice--take each action you do, at the same level of responsibility you think of your own actions; your actions impact and reinforce your perception, or in other words are how you interact with facing goals. This goes hand in hand with habit formation and the "how" you face things.

Personal advice--DISCARD the idea that there is a systematic scaling of 'to cheat' and 'to not cheat', like 'Oh it's a highschool test, I can let this slip...'. Don't go into this. Your actions are how you face and solve things, and in the linear timespan of a day, there are better alternatives that preferring to 'seek answers from others' papers', like practicing and reinforcing one's own memory and seeking of knowledge. The thing with habit formation is that it is mostly learned, and can be conditioned to learn otherwise, which goes hand-in-hand with motivation and encouragement.

And notably: Your language also reflects, in a way, your thinking. I may be coming off as silly because of me seeing everything as literal (in my tired state as of now), but these words also have impact: "Can't, No, Always, Never". As words convey meaning, it'd help to also look after the words you use in describing your situation :) While you can acknowledge what's going on, this is a process of development that'll help you a lot more if practiced with awareness. :D

Some people are lucky and skate by on natural ability. The rest of us have to dedicate real time and energy to "getting shit done." So my first suggestion would be treating your procrastination as a real problem that requires real effort to solve.
And an example of that personal effort is seen in many of the posts above--an example underlying nenjin's suggestion. Though I could elaborate that this is LESS of 'natural vs learned', and more of 'how one personally works with their thoughts', because this is usually the place where they are the first to face/plan everything in life, by going on the ideas coming from what they sense, and put into mind.

Buy a whip. Punish your weak flesh when you fail to meet the standards.

Whip it good

Whip it bloody
Figuratively. :P
Say are you a buddhist?

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2016, 09:09:11 am »

Say are you a buddhist?
Nope! Why do you ask? :O

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2016, 10:22:49 am »

Do you think it is a "behavior" problem, or a "life choice" issue? 

If it is a life choice, then you value your time doing what you want over the other things. 
Do those other things have importance to you?
The answer to that should lead to re-assessing your priority that includes your immediate plans, and future plans--you know, those questions: how do you see yourself 1 year from now? 5 years from now? 10 years from now? 20 years? 

If it's a behavior problem, there are scientific procedures to document it in order understand and provide a remedy to the behavior.  Basically, you come up with an alternative action instead of the behavior.  Google "ABC Behavior Management."

Detoxicated

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCarpenter
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2016, 09:00:17 am »

You basically summed up some of the buddhist teachings in your posts, just changed the tone and wording a bit. Especially your notes about wording struck me as quite buddhist.

The words you use make up your thinking and ultimately lead your actions...

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2016, 09:36:58 am »

You basically summed up some of the buddhist teachings in your posts, just changed the tone and wording a bit. Especially your notes about wording struck me as quite buddhist.

The words you use make up your thinking and ultimately lead your actions...
Is that so? o_O I know little directly about buddhist teachings, although I am both a psychology student and having an interest since childhood in people and thought, having many insight from the thoughts that come to me given what I was exposed to. So...I believe it's less that I may be Buddhist and more on my upbringing and what I was exposed to. I do a lot of reflective thinking, but its all thanks to those who've helped me with my stuff. :P I'll research on all that when I'm not stressing out on my thesis right now [which is keeping me busy until July 8. If it fails, it'll keep me deeply stressed until August!]

Detoxicated

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCarpenter
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2016, 01:18:20 pm »

Well, I feel that Carl Gustav Jung has brought forth some insights that seem to be influenced by asian philosophies, so maybe you are coming from that direction.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2016, 02:40:45 am »

I think that part of Gwolf's problem is, he's lumping procrastination in under cheating.

I have not, to my knowledge, cheated significantly (i.e. beyond using a calculator for arithmetic on high-school math tests), but I procrasinate severely.  I've been getting better, but I wouldn't mind some advice myself, if we can swivel this thread to focus on the right issue.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.
Pages: 1 [2]