Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Monastic [SG]  (Read 5379 times)

I, Writer

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm all the way up, and nothing can stop me!
    • View Profile
Monastic [SG]
« on: June 13, 2016, 11:12:54 pm »

M O N A S T I C

You're greeted by an orange--no, that's just the sunlight meeting your eyelids. There you go. Now we're talking! You're greeted by soft, orange sunlight piercing through your bamboo blinds. The sun is at its highest rising point. For the morning, that is. This morning, like all others--most others--are oh-so nice. You swear you have more energy in the morning than you do at night. The sun's warmth creates a feeling that can only be described as an oxymoron. Its warm embrace both invigorates you and yet, calms you, tempting you to return to your bed and let the bliss of sleep carry you away again.

Time to get up. Yet another day of life as a monastic. You glide over to your clothkeep. It's where you hang your robes.

• Wear the red robe.
  • Wear the blue robe.
  • Wear the orange robe.
  • Wear the purple robe.

You have way too many robes. Enough to wear a fresh one every day of the year. What is it with robes anyway? In your early days as an acolyte, you heard talk of others. They called themselves mages, but some knew them as wizards. Their robes were interesting, to say the least, though you had to admit that monastics wore robes more pleasing to the eye and to the body. Theirs were dry and itched the wearer. Now you're getting carried away in your thoughts. Where were you? Oh, right! After you put your robe on, you head to the kitchen. It's the same as you left it the previous night. Made of hardened earth clay with a rich, terra cotta colour. You take a quick sweep. Everything appears to be in order. You don't own much so...nothing to worry about in that regard!

• Make some tea.
  • Make some egg-like-not-really-eggs-though eggs.
  • Skip breakfast and visit the garden to meditate.

Spoiler: Um, stuff? (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 14, 2016, 07:49:18 am by I, Writer »

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Peering from beyond the veil of reality
    • View Profile
Re: Monastic [SG]
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2016, 01:13:18 am »

> Purple robe
> Make some tea.

Asgarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2016, 03:26:56 am »

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2016, 05:08:43 am »

I disagree. As a good vaguely-asian monastic, one should

> Wear the orange robe.

But I do agree that we should

> Make some tea
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

I, Writer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2016, 08:20:23 am »

THE MIND IS EVERYTHING. WHAT YOU THINK, YOU BECOME.

You walk over to your kettle, flick on the pipe for a few seconds, and fill the thing with spring water, fresh from a stream near the garden. Once it's full, you gently set it down on the fire. It's not really a stove, more like an ad hoc kettle heater. You don't eat meat so there is no need for a stove top. The heater brings the water up to temperature quickly. You prefer to drink it hot, using a pain suppressant technique you learned through meditation. Middle Kingdom tea, the best around. In your day, travellers mention that in some lands, it is known as 'chai tea', but that's what you call tea. Why would they need to say tea twice? How odd. The tea packet is round and flat, meant to sit at the very bottom of the simple ceramic cup you use, allowing the leaves and water to fully blend. Sadly, you cannot claim the glory of invention for this marvellous creation. It was, however, a fellow monk.

Sitting full lotus, you choose not to mediate, but simply think. About things. The monastery, other monks, other paths, the garden, your studies. Anything. You find yourself, after some time, thinking about you. Though you'd say this is your ego rearing its ugly head, you yield just this once. What kind of monk are you, anyway? What is your discipline?

• You are a spiritual monk devoted to the Path to Enlightenment.
  • You are a warrior monk, with a vast knowledge of martial techniques and the ability to manipulate ki.
  • You are an ethereal monk who studies the potential of the mind and soul, wielding the energies contained within both.

And...

• You are the monastery's sole inhabitant.
  • You are one of a handful of the monastery's inhabitants.
  • You are one of a large number of the monastery's inhabitants.

Oh. Right. Of course. This tea is so good it has you forgetting things. That's when you know you have the perfect brew. You resist the urge to slap your mother. Well, you don't know her, but if you did, you feel like you'd want to slap her due to the tea being so good. Why? The ego sure is strange sometimes.

A/N: I'm with Cinder. Would've preferred the orange robe, but the readers have spoken!
« Last Edit: June 14, 2016, 10:25:42 am by I, Writer »

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2016, 08:22:39 am »

We are a warrior monk, with a vast knowledge of martial techniques and the ability to manipulate ki.

And we are the monastery's sole inhabitant.

You said it was too risky... they didn't listen.
A Thousand Treasures (And You).

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2016, 09:06:24 am »

We are a warrior monk, with a vast knowledge of martial techniques and the ability to manipulate ki.

And we are the monastery's sole inhabitant.

You said it was too risky... they didn't listen.
+1
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

KiwiOui

• Bay Watcher
  • Genetic monstrosity of unknown origin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2016, 09:22:19 am »

>You are an ethereal monk who studies the potential of the mind and soul, wielding the energies contained within both.

>You are one of a handful of the monastery's inhabitants.

((Spiritual might get boring, and I find warrior-monks to be a bit cliche.))
Kiwis- Odd man out of both the animal and plant kingdoms.
Didn't we get the pilot? Can't we scan his brain?
If we did, +1, but I think they either got scrambled by the tractor beam or got blown out into space.
This is a normal discussion, folks.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2016, 11:06:14 am »

You are a spiritual monk one of only a handful in the monastery. You are also considering going back your room to change into the Orange robe. You were always fickle after all.

Asgarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2016, 11:28:28 am »

>You are an ethereal monk who studies the potential of the mind and soul, wielding the energies contained within both.

++

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2016, 11:38:38 am »

++
+1
Seriously, ATHATH, we need to have an intervention about your death mug problem.
*slow clap* Well ATHATH congratulations. You managed to give the MC a mental breakdown before we even finished the first arc.
I didn't even read it first, I just saw it was ATHATH and noped it. Now that I read it x3 to noping

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Peering from beyond the veil of reality
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2016, 12:03:05 pm »

> You are a spiritual monk devoted to the Path to Enlightenment.
> You are one of a handful of the monastery's inhabitants.
> Stick with the purple robe, changing clothes a second time in a day is for quitters

snow dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Is always cold
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2016, 12:36:49 pm »

++
+1
+1
Here at Bay12 we excel at Theoretical Biology. Need to know the value of Merbone? Check. Need to know the density of a thrown Fluffy Wambler? Check. Need to know how a walking Mushroom can theoretically talk? Check.

I, Writer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2016, 01:26:48 pm »

DO, OR DO NOT. THERE IS NO TRY.

You take one last drink from your cup. Gulping the sweet plant juice down your throat, you sigh. It's best to let the moment pass in idleness, for tea is not just a mere drink. No. Tea is an art form. A way of life. Every bit as relevant as the Martial Way of the warrior monks, or the Path to Enlightenment of the monk disciples. Other monks do find your monastery's love of tea to be a distraction, but they follow different paths. Not that tea is a path, but...

It should be!

Your monastery follows the Way of the Ethereal. Each monk must hone their mental and ethereal skills to be at their peak condition. You share the monastery with twelve others who also follow this path. Its name? You've forgotten the name it was given when it was first erected in your acolyte days. However, the talents of the monastics within its walls earned it the name Sangha of Silence, or the Silent Temple, with the monks being known simple as the Silent. Some would argue that you're all stoic, but that's not accurate. The mouth is said to be a delusion, and an ego-employed distraction and thus, unfit for communication. All Silent aim to use an odd combination of telepathy and normal speak. Mental ventriloquism, if you will. Others can hear you, if you will them to hear, and the mouth is simply used for expression. Using the mouth for communication is strictly forbidden.

That's enough musing on you and your backstory for now. You mindfully set your cup on the counter top and decide what to do next. It is still morning.

[PICK 2 ACTIONS]
  • Go meditate in the garden.
  • Practice your mental and spiritual talents alone.
  • Practice your mental and spiritual talents with other Silent.
  • Converse with a Lama.
  • Converse with the Dalai Lama.
  • Bay12 decides.
Spoiler: You (click to show/hide)

A/N: Character sheet! And I nailed spelling the word 'ventriloquism' correctly on my first try. No spell-check needed. BOOM!
« Last Edit: June 14, 2016, 06:53:20 pm by I, Writer »

tntey

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Fishbone for its ska
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2016, 01:39:44 pm »

Go meditate in the garden and practice our mental and spiritual talents alone.
Speaking of lowest intelligence, that reminds me of the fact that it's probably your first time in prison. Don't worry, I can give you some tips, having spent some time in a few myself. The best way to make friends here is to drop the soap during shower time. Try it, I'm sure you'll love making friends like that!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5