Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: Flat Earth: Turn 7, A Night Out In The Multiverse  (Read 5663 times)

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
Re: Flat Earth: Turn 2, A Great Deluge
« Reply #30 on: June 14, 2016, 01:04:28 pm »

-Turn Most of the Floor into a Window to somewhere, It doesn't need to Lead anywhere Important of Course.
-Create some sort of Sun Light in the Center of the Ceiling, It should Probably have a Dial on the wall as well.
-Place some Real Plants in the Terrarium, Followed by some Real 1/2 Inch tall Mortals.
I can get Cheap Curtains next round.
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 14, 2016, 01:26:08 pm »

Let's start with trying to fix that wounded part of spacetime, can't be having none of that here.

Then Attempt to get the air of violence out. It suprisingly doesn't clash too much with the flowers, but I'd still rather have it gone.

Then make my Aetherpane. I'm thinking something classy, like ebony wood inlaid with brass plates that are engraved with floral patterns.

If the Aetherpane works, see if I can't find any mortal craftsmen that need advice.

((quick questions: If I make something by hand out of raw materials, I don't need to pay divinity, right? Will summoning raw materials cost divinity, or could I just get them gifted from mortal followers?))

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 14, 2016, 02:17:53 pm »

((quick questions: If I make something by hand out of raw materials, I don't need to pay divinity, right? Will summoning raw materials cost divinity, or could I just get them gifted from mortal followers?))

It won't cost any divinity at all if you have a place where you can find raw materials. Things you bum from other gods or mortals are always free.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 14, 2016, 02:48:30 pm »

I create fruit-bearing bushes and trees to grow in the soil. I'll start with some strawberry bushes (I've always felt like they should grow on bushes) and then create as much variety beyond that as I can manage, deciding what to make next based on my whims.

I then step out to search for the messenger god (+1 to this action) so I can ask him to help me with the throne.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2016, 04:48:13 pm by penguinofhonor »

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 14, 2016, 03:26:54 pm »

This is a xxselfiexx of Talgoek, a deity and DeathSaxophones the Unending, a ☼rug☼. Talgoek is doing that weird thing the kids do with their lips in these kind of pictures. Deathsaxophones the Unending is rocking out. This was published on Godchat with the following description:
just moved into new plane with AWESOME RUG!!!!! also just installed aetherport so thats why im talking again sorry for radio silence guys!! #movingday #fun #rugs #justgodthings
Install aetherport next to rug. Hope that the presence doesn't infect it. That would suck.
Define throne. A nice easy chair colored a vibrant green, like semen if something is really, really wrong with you. Make the cushions especially comfortable.
Tune through the aetherport looking for anything of interest, checking the various accounts I've subscribed to on Godchat.

Atian the Elephantman God

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 14, 2016, 04:11:05 pm »

Create tree's throughout the plane that will absorb the salt water.
Set up traps throughout the plane.
Create a fresh water river a bit away from the hill but close enough for inhabitants to reach it.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 14, 2016, 04:49:59 pm »

((thought my second action was slightly vague, so I clarified it))

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Flat Earth: Turn 3, Forestation Is In
« Reply #37 on: June 15, 2016, 07:01:20 am »

Turn 3
Forestation Is In

Talgoek of D3:

[Connectivity Issues: 1]

You have some trouble getting the Aetherpane to work properly with the way spacetime appears to twitch all the time. Hanging it up seems quite elementary for the time being, but the connection is, well, largely nonexistent. That is, until it decides not to be and flash a whole lot of information at you in a startling burst, then promptly die again. You jostle it a few times to see if reception improves, but no dice at the moment.

[Situational Awareness: 4]

In addition, you can't help but feel a little weirded out as you work on the 'pane. A strange chill hits you every now and then as you try to disconnect and reconnect a couple of times, then turn it off and on again. You look around, and see the shadow next to you. It seems to have moved slightly in your direction, reaching for the Aetherpane absently. Old habits die hard, you suppose.

Pausing to ponder this set of circumstances, you give your Throne a sidelong glance and a well-placed word, and it starts looking almost refreshingly verdant and extremely inviting as it configures itself into a lazy-chair kind of conformation. You could definitely see yourself spending some quality time on that sometime soon. Maybe you really ought to sit down on it a while, and see if this plane doesn't feel like calming down on its own.

Spoiler: Divine Status, D3 (click to show/hide)

Tamos of C4:

[Realigning Reality: 5]

That spacetime wound is quite an eyesore, you figure after some thought. You step over to your workshop and get your seven-stringed dimensional spackling knife and a handy can of scintillating reality putty, whistling as you coat the wound firmly and completely, smoothing the wounded patch with a great deal of care, then stepping back as you make sure the fresh reality dries properly and, more importantly, largely invisibly. It's perhaps not invisible, you conclude after a few minutes of that. But if you manage to cover the vault of heavens with something, you figure this ought to look pretty dang inconspicuous as well as cause the barest minimum of dimensional disturbance.

[Clearing The Air: 6]

Next you resolve to do something about that murderous jungle air you've got here. Scenting it didn't seem to help all that much, and you don't really have anything convenient on hand to threaten it with. So instead you decide to counterbalance it with some under-the-counter grade peaceful and happy thoughts, channeling concentrated divinity to change the very intent of the plane. Your plane grows placid with thorough application of your power. Then it grows slightly sleepy and incoherent in the fashion of a divine poppy field. This seems considerably preferable to its antisocial tendencies from before, so you leave it at that for now.

[Window Into Society: 3]

Having cleaned up the plane nicely, you set your mind on making an Aetherpane for yourself. You don't happen to have any raw materials for it on hand, so you put your hands on the edge of the plane and somewhat inelegantly fashion a circular pane of black and flowing glass into the surface of the heavens, encircling it with an ebony and brass frame to give it additional solidity. You check for structural integrity with a firm shove (the best kind of structural test) and it fails to budge, which you consider good enough. That done, you set it to work in finding good views of other universes in order to check the quality of the installation.

Good news, it does let you look into other universes. Bad news, you think the connection's about half-strength at best. And you're fairly sure moving this thing is going to be a little difficult with how well you've set it into the plane.

Spoiler: Divine Status, C4 (click to show/hide)

Zelifan of C3:

[Swamping It Up: 3]

You call upon the power of swampy shrubbery, calling tiny trees into existence all around you, their roots choked by muck, with stunted trunks and mostly leafless branches. Maybe a little overly stunted, considering they barely come up to your chest. But you guess that's all right, as having branches in your face all the time would get really old really fast. The plane looks rather nicely filled out with twisted little trees, to the point where you could call this a right and proper representation of a bog.

[An Excellent View: 2]

You take a moment to wonder where an Aetherpane could fit into all this. It's looking very low-tech so far, so maybe a stump? Or a sinister eye in the sky? Hard to think of a way to work it in without altering the theme somewhat. Well, that and you have no real idea on where a good place to put one would be. You hear that Aetherpane connectivity optimization is something of a modern art.

[Pea Soup: 3]

Thinking a while, you do get a pretty cool idea. You've heard of platforms, half-walls and other such things to help separate individual parts of pocket planes. But some gods like to get a little more naturalistic with it and instead just reduce overall visibility. It makes the plane seem much bigger, you've heard, especially if you can add some anti-navigation enchantment to it, maybe give the landscape some randomization to complete the effect. It's not a bad idea. So you test it out by filling the plane with a rather large cloud of water aerosol. It's a very good start, you figure, even if your head's a little above most of it and it's a little on the thin side. A natural autumn sort of fog rather than the supernaturally horrific kind. Makes the place a lot cooler and damper at the very least.

Spoiler: Divine Status, C3 (click to show/hide)

Xenronack of D4

[An Unorthodox Floor: 2]

Windows into other places are not unheard of, of course, but most gods prefer to have Aetherpanes. The reason for this is that most views aren't terribly impressive, or aren't very impressive for long. And also that there is no such thing as a one-way view, which tends to make gods nervous about making permanent ways to look into their own planes. You figure the idea is worthwhile, however, and render your floor into clarity as you connect it to... the Connective Plane! Yes! Now you can gaze into the connective area between planes with impunity! And people in the connective area can gaze back at you with similar lack of trouble. Hypothetically, anyway. Right now all you get on the floor is the image of some large object pressing into it. You'll give that some time to clear up.

[Creation's First Light: 1]

Figuring the place is a little dark, you shape your divine power into a handy mixed UV-C/proton lamp to the heavens. You prefer your tanning more ionizing than most, but just in case you will a nearby plastic dial into the heavens so you can adjust the wavelength if you're ever feeling adventurous. It starts at a toasty "Blackeningly Ultraviolet" setting, progressing all the way to "Incandescently Cosmic". You start to feel the lovely burn a couple of minutes later on the first setting. The rest of your creations begin to gently crackle shortly afterward.

[Stepping Up The Torment: 3]

Feeling that your terrarium is perhaps incomplete, you take a moment to breathe life into the little rubbery mortals and larger rubbery plants. They take a few moments to realize their circumstances, and then a few more to start feeling the weight of your star lamp. Most of the ambulatory ones take cover in your imitation castle. The plants, however, are left to fend for themselves. If you can call that sort of shriveling fending for oneself.

Spoiler: Divine Status, D4 (click to show/hide)

Amaranta of B1

[Strawberry Fields Forever: 6]

The plane's floor seems very eager to have some residents, so you decide not to keep it waiting and give it something to host. Pointing at the ground you will a race of chimeric strawberry bushes into existence, spreading tall and sprawling hedges laden with red and fleshy goodness that take root readily, growing to scratch at the heavens as they find an overabundance of nutrients as well as divine power. Your realm quickly spirals into a delicious minor maze as vegetation starts to run wild. Pruning it at this juncture when the divinity is running through its shoots, you decide, would be a wasted effort. So you leave the place alone for a bit as you go look for that messenger god. Couldn't have gone far, you confidently lie to yourself.

[Following In Fleet Footsteps: 6+1]

You check the usual trail blazed by a sped-up runner god, but don't really find any steps leading out through the Connective Plane. Hm. You lean over your unfortunately wedged-in Throne, and observe somebody on the other side. Specifically you observe Hanping, god of Fortuitous Coincidence and Opportunity, the fellow who helped you carry this heavy Throne all the way over here, wondering at how this could have possibly happened and how exactly is he supposed to get out now. You get his attention quite easily, and he seems very pleased to see you. He asks if you couldn't maybe help him get this Throne out of the way so he can leave. He does have things to be and places to do.

Spoiler: Divine Status, B1 (click to show/hide)

Atian of C2

[The Arboreal Solution: 2]

A few tries at populating the surface of your plane with tiny salt-loving trees meet with unfortunate failure as they start to expel excess salt through their leaves, which then proceed to fall back on the watery ground, returning the salt right back to it. Salty leaves soon line the floor of your plane, making the place look a little unkempt.

[Safety Measures: 5]

Since you plane seems to have already been the victim of at least one act of sinister sabotage, you decide to act decisively before more terrible things have a chance of happening. You cast your red and terrible eyes around the plane, and make pitfalls into spacetime pockets, tripwires for temporal snares, place knots into the water that scream when disturbed and leave disturbingly literal eyes all around so that you may never again be surprised. A little drastic, some would say, but you think the effort will be worth it if any dumb bastard tries anything again.

[Tiny Rivers: 5]

Within the castle's depths you put a mystical spring from which the waters of life may pour forth, and pour they do in a nice little model river that comes out of the bottom of the hill and snakes around your plane in a cute spiral before splitting into progressively smaller trickles that peter out and soak into the earth. It kind of ties the place together, you find, even if you have to be a little careful where you step so you don't accidentally alter the course of this river that will no doubt support a thriving valley civilization of miniscule pet mortals.

Spoiler: Divine Status, C2 (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: GM Note (click to show/hide)

ziizo

• Bay Watcher
  • Tired and Lazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 15, 2016, 10:01:19 am »

"This place is getting a bit creepy, I like that"

Create some ball of lights that will float around the plane giving a enough light to make the plane look as part of a horror game.

Start building the Aeterplane, make it look as a abandoned chest near the Reliquary (+1 to this action)
GG, Ziizo. May my spirit live on in your boobs.

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 15, 2016, 11:22:55 am »

"Ugh. The reception in here is horrible."

Try to fix up the aetherpane with my tools so I get a better signal in here.

Second action to be added as +1 to above

Then make a reliquary. Nothing too fancy, let's go for a white marble chest with a floral pattern.

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 15, 2016, 11:28:41 am »

I Change my Light to a somewhat less... Destructive Spectrum, But Leave the Highest setting at the Same Place as Before.
Second and Third action to be added on as +2 to Above.
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

Atian the Elephantman God

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 15, 2016, 02:41:54 pm »

Place my Aetherpane in the palace
Spoiler: GM Only? (click to show/hide)
Create half elves to inhabit my plane.
Remove all the excess salt!
« Last Edit: June 16, 2016, 08:53:54 am by Atian the Elephantman God »

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 15, 2016, 10:43:09 pm »

Right, find a place to set up that portable aethernet pronto. This is getting silly.
Let's get this relicquary done, perhaps with less... unexpected results. It shall be a hollowed out copy of Will Self's Umbrella, containing a pocket dimension. That way, no-one will find my stuff.
+1 to Aethernet.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 16, 2016, 05:21:25 am »

I ask Hanping for help and try to move the throne with him if he agrees.

Then I duck into my universe (if I'm not already in there with the throne) and create a race of little gnome people to frolic about (+1 to this action).
« Last Edit: June 16, 2016, 06:40:24 am by penguinofhonor »

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Flat Earth: Turn 4, Making Friends
« Reply #44 on: June 16, 2016, 05:08:18 pm »

Turn 4
Making Friends

Talgoek of D3:

[In A Better Place Now: 3+1]

You navigate the Aetherpane around your plane inquisitively, searching for a better place to connect it amid the nervous possibilities. Eventually you get something! A romantic set of two bars somewhere along the top of the heavenly vault. It's, er, a little inconvenient. But it's a start! And almost certainly the best you can do without actively doing something about this thoroughly agitated and unusually animate plane.

[Abstract Victuals: 2]

As for a Reliquary, you decide to keep your vittles inside an alien tome of forbidden knowledge you conjure from nothingness. It's perhaps not as grand as even your humblest imaginings, ratty along the edges, the title faded and written in menacingly stern symbols, a depiction of an alien artifact on its front cover. It seems to be hollowed in a more conventional way than you were aiming for, which you suppose is to be expected when striving for authenticity. But you guess you could keep something smaller than a book inside it if you wanted to. And then keep the book... somewhere?

Spoiler: Divine Status, D3 (click to show/hide)

Tamos of C4:

[Hammer It Out: 5+1]

To address the terrible state of your Aetherpane you decide to set more of your tools to use. The trouble, you decide, is reach. So what you need is some kind of connecting solution to something as vague as aetheric information transfer. You're a little low on raw materials presently, so you get out your trusty forked drill of inevitability and your subtlest pianistic reality hammer and set about altering the local spacetime to facilitate the flow of wonderful views. You are, of course, flying somewhat blind as you do this, having no adequate aetheric tester on hand, but you counteract this effectively by just adding a far-reaching spread of aetheric access points that you hook up to funnels formed though bending space itself.

In the end you've got a fairly good network done up, and one that does allow for the inevitability of the aetheric viewability changing over time. Hopefully. The connection comes out pretty good and stable in the end, which you guess is as good as you can hope to get without either getting an expert involved or obtaining some far more specialized tools for the purpose.

[An Unobtrusive Chest: 5]

You then proceed to get a Reliquary in place, forming anew an immaculate chest of foreign marble with delicate reliefs of flowers on its outer, almost organically shaped surface. Its floral patterns open at your touch, a display rising out of its internals like spring itself rendered in the medium of stone, perfect and austere in its stark whiteness as flowers upon flowers unfold in artificial bloom, each opening into nectar that tastes of foreign stone, a suitable treat for any visiting god to your domain, especially with the presentation. Not at all useful for your own needs, of course. Those flowers are deeper in and require more cajoling to come out. The premium supply, you could say. Currently empty, naturally, since you logically cannot use your own creations as refreshment.

Spoiler: Divine Status, C4 (click to show/hide)

Zelifan of C3:

[Ignis Fatuus: 4]

You fashion a traveling distant light, illuminating the fog ever so slightly as it patrols the area, luring unwary travelers away from the edges of the realm and back into the bits where you can't see the true size of the plane. It twinkles temptingly as you look at it, and you let it hang around for now. It seems sentient, but its motives you elect to keep a mystery even to yourself, or at least fill in at a more convenient time. For now it travels mysteriously and broadly unknowably, adding that much-needed mystical spark of whimsy to your dank and fetid realm.

[A Trick Chest: 1+1]

As for the Aetherpane, you do get as far as making an abandoned and partly waterlogged chest near the Reliquary, watching it rise partly out of the muck, just as likely a little patch of risen earth as anything made by mortal hands, so worn and cast-off it appears to be. You open it up and find a generous supply of muck inside! This muck, however, fails to help you get a good look into any nearby or far realms, though you could potentially see yourself getting something workable out of this eventually. Maybe if the muck was clearer?

Spoiler: Divine Status, C3 (click to show/hide)

Xenronack of D4

[Kicking It Down A Notch: 2+2]

With a generous dosage of divine power you inscribe a couple of lower degrees of cooking onto your ultra-lamp's dial. Perhaps blackening isn't quite the universal pleasure you originally thought it to be. So you add Gently Carcinogenic UV-B, Subtly Insidious UV-A, Seemingly Harmless Red and, for atmospheric purposes, Uncomfortably Bright Green. You set it to Red for now. The plants seem to appreciate this, although at the price of your plane now looking like it is experiencing an emergency stellar fusion outage.

Spoiler: Divine Status, D4 (click to show/hide)

Amaranta of B1

[Both Sides Now: 5]

It takes a moment of speaking with Hanping to figure out what the exact reason that this throne is so inconveniently located might be, but the two of you eventually arrive at the conclusion that it is likely because gods associated with travel tend to be somewhat dissociated from conventional laws of physics and causality. So maybe it is less than surprising that he did somehow manage to get the damn thing in here, leave it absent-mindedly and only later discover that such a manipulation, strictly speaking, is not even possible in the first place. Stunts like these make messenger gods extraordinarily well-suited for causing unconventional forms of mischief. Such as this Throne, for instance.

Hanping starts to consider this before emitting a small laugh as he applies his palm to his perpetually grinning and mildly bloodstained face. See, it's really very simple. He puts his hands on one side, and you handle the other. You follow his instructions. He pushes, you pull. You shrug and give it a shot. Not like there's any harm in trying. And with the efforts of you both working in concert, the Throne starts to move. He asks where you want it, and you gently lead him toward your plane, where you deposit the damn thing at last. Hanping seems terribly impressed with this, and starts to thank you for your assistance and, more importantly, invaluable insight on this matter. He's almost halfway through the sentence before he recalls other engagements and promptly bids farewell and takes off at a blazing sprint, a whip of the hand in a hurried wave the last thing you see of him for now. That being sorted, you return to more concerns of your realm.

[Send In The Gnomes: 5+1]

From the earth you take the sentient soil, and breathe into it the potential for greatness, flakes of dirt splitting off as ground spirits of prodigious self-sufficiency bud out of it, landing on the ground and wasting no time in beginning to cultivate your planar garden, tending the sprawling roots and digging burrows in the ground, and fashioning more of themselves as curiosity leads them to explore their new environment. They populate the plane in large numbers, tipping their tiny conical hats at you as they frolic past on their business, knowing you to be their creator and master from the day of their birth. They settle very readily into the rampant overgrowth, utilizing the strawberry bounty to formulate the beginnings of a complex society.

Spoiler: Divine Status, B1 (click to show/hide)

Atian of C2

[The Trouble With The Aether: 1]

You put your Aetherpane in the one place in the realm you can't comfortably look inside of, the palace. You assume it does a good job of providing sights unseen to worthy onlookers (ones graced with the glory of your ingenious and perplexing password) in there. You're a little too large to check in there aside from with your great meaty elephantman god mitts, which are less than helpful since you've failed to install that nightwriting conversion onto the 'pane before this point. You get it in there good, you find, to the point where your immediate attempts to get it out only succeed in pushing it further in, until it finally goes out of your immediate reach. Damn. You bet the connection's amazing in there too.

[One Part Man, One Part Elf: 3]

To start off your realm properly you fashion a half-elf out of a couple of miniature trees (elf!) and a clod of the ground (man!), then shape it with some godly power and voila! Half-elf! A little lumpy, of course, but they can't all be lovely. You snap off an unnecessary bit and refine it into another half-elf, this one substantially nicer-looking. You call that one the lady half-elf. And they can both live in the palace over yonder if they want, you explain to them as you point out the hill. The two half-elves look in its direction, then back at you. Both of them come up to roughly your knees. After a moment's consideration one half-elf climbs up the hill in short order and sits down on the roof. Not terribly comfortable, she tells you after analyzing these fresh sensations for a while.

[Desalinization Initiative: 2]

Behold your amazing power, you tell the half-elves, and they observe with interest as you grab a tree from the ground and start raking up the salty leaves. This seems less than impressive to them at first, but they very readily change their tune when you propose that they come join you, since there are a whole 81 square meters of plane to cover, after all.

Spoiler: Divine Status, C2 (click to show/hide)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6