Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Author Topic: Flat Earth: Turn 7, A Night Out In The Multiverse  (Read 5665 times)

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
Re: Flat Earth: Gods In Confinement (6/6)
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2016, 12:30:20 pm »

Hmm, so will we be able to meet more of these as we progress through the game? Since you mentioned you can only start with one. They seem kinda important.

Of course. You probably have at least three other candidates on your layer to begin with, to say nothing of the universe and whoever you might meet through job postings.

Anyway, let me work out the starting turn now.

Put me in NOT YET GOD :)

Need a sheet before I can do that!

Nakéen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Flat Earth: Gods In Confinement (6/6)
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2016, 12:52:51 pm »

Need a sheet before I can do that!
Silly me !

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Flat Earth: Turn 1, Moving Day
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2016, 02:54:03 pm »

Turn 1
Moving Day

Talgoek of D3:

You arrive in plane D3, fresh off a last-minute checkup with the Lady of Portals to make sure you've got the right place.

[Prime Real Estate: 1]

This was mostly on account of the looming black shadow that fell over you as you entered the first time, a twisted silhouette of some unrecognizable entity imprinted on local spacetime. The Lady of Portals assured you that it is perfectly harmless, and that if you really want to check with the Master of the Universe about it he'll tell you the same thing. Apparently there was something of a disagreement over some power exchange or another. Late payments, you understand. And a heated discussion over the power deposit. Fortunately the remainder of his possessions covered his debts most adequately, said she. And they even managed to scrub most of the fallout. But do let her know if the shadow starts to move again. She is reasonably sure she got it last time, but you never know.

You guess the trouble with discount prices is that they most often come with good reasons attached. Wonder if Tamos has to deal with stuff like this. At least you don't have to define time or gravity here, unlike some unspeakable places you've seen.

[Priceless Belongings: 5]

But no reason to let this bring you down, you suppose as you slowly unpack your Aetherpane and ponder where you could hang it up. Hm. Maybe over the shadow? There's no real compartments here yet. They even seem to have ripped down the Throne room to the point where you can't even begin to guess where it could be, so you guess you'll need to get that sorted before you can put your handy earthbone Throne kit to good use.

Spoiler: Divine Status, D3 (click to show/hide)

Tamos of C4:

You find plane C4 lifeless, empty, very much in need of some care and creation.

[Previously Owned: 2]

It's not really got much of that new-plane smell despite the thorough cleanup. A little worn around the edges. There's this one patch of spacetime that looks vaguely wounded to you, too - the Master of the Universe mentioned the place was inhabited by a warrior goddess previously. Some target practice was to be expected. A minor thing, he clarified. She was very well-behaved otherwise, he made sure to add. Quiet, tended not to start fights with neighbors unlike some war gods he's had. And this does reflect in the plane. The whole place smells of meticulous violent forethought behind the thorough emptiness.

[Thinking Ahead: 1]

Well, guess you better get to work on settling in. Plane is bloody empty. And you do think Talgoek is likely to drop by later when she's settled in, so making the place presentable ought to be a priority.

Spoiler: Divine Status, C4 (click to show/hide)

Zelifan of C3:

You must admit, you had some reservations about moving to this plane. But so far things have been all right.

[Signs of Habitation: 4]

Especially the plane itself. Running your hand along the threads of reality here you can't find a single untoward speck of leftover creation. Previous one here was apparently a god of thieves, explained the Lady of Portals with a laugh. Not that she ever saw him or her or whatever it was. You can mostly tell by the complete lack of evidence and the slight overpayment for discretion. Not that you need to worry about loose lips here, no sir. But look at the place, she deflected expertly. Absolutely spotless.

[Excellent Planning: 3]

You didn't really press her more information, since this seemed to be going quite all right and the Lady of Portals does not seem like the sort who likes being asked too many questions. So here you stand in a near-virgin plane, all ready for habitation, your old empty (you kind of got nervous while waiting for the Lady of Portals) Reliquary in hand. You should probably put that down somewhere before you start settling in.

Spoiler: Divine Status, C3 (click to show/hide)

Xenronack of D4

The Master of the Universe needed a few moments to weigh the options before saying that you're probably the third-ugliest tenant he's ever had. You feel this was a precious bonding moment.

[Used Planes for Cheap: 6]

The first thing that grabs your attention when you're shown your plane is an odd smell, strangely reminiscent of Arcadian flowers, if a little artificial. It's apparently proven hard to get out. And there's a rather conspicuous hot pink Aetherpane engraved with flame reliefs still bolted onto the local spacetime, currently cycling through a variety of potential views and listings at an extreme pace while singing a gentle song. The previous tenant had a falling-out with it, the Master of the Universe explains. A common occurrence with gods of artifice. He hopes you don't mind if it stays around - it really is quite a high-end model, and very good-natured even if apparently free-spirited as well. Though if there are any complaints, do notify the Lady of Portals. She was quite confident at her ability to rip it out if it gets too uppity. And yes, he did make sure the Aetherpane knows this as well.

[Necessary Supplies: 2]

You guess having an Aetherpane already installed does save you a bit of time and effort. You, er, kind of assumed this plane would be a bit more... complete? But the Master says apparently all planes come in this form. Anyway, he says as he moves on, you'd best get on with settling in. Time's a-wasting.

Spoiler: Divine Status, D4 (click to show/hide)

Amaranta of B1

You can't say this is really a proper universe by any means. But you think it's probably good for a garden. A small one.

[Circle of Habitation: 3]

The spacetime here has a distinctly middle-aged feel, though you can't put your finger on why that might be. Good eye, says the Lady of Portals. Telltale signs of a god of time. Snake-god of time, to be precise. Aren't those a little important, you ask in a hopefully inoffensive tone. The Lady of Portals replies that this is quite true. This one was... between projects, so to speak. Real alpha-and-omega type, though, but he bolted out of here sharpish when he got booked for a world-eating gig a few universes down. He talked big, but the way he jumped on that, you could smell the desperation. He was ultimately small-time, if you'll pardon the expression.

[Traveling Light: 6]

Looks good, you suppose. No real questions. The Lady of Portals excuses herself promptly to get back to her business. Well, you guess you've got a bit of unpacking to do. Was a bit difficult to get the old Throne all the way over here, and your Reliquary. You hope that messenger god didn't misplace them while you looked around. Damn thieves are everywhere. And then you have to get it all in here. Maybe you could get Atian to help out in the middle of all his movement.

Spoiler: Divine Status, B1 (click to show/hide)

Atian of C2

You're not sure your parents would approve of this place, but the Master of the Universe seems nice enough.

[Pre-Used Condition: 1]

Although there are some worrying news about your plane, it seems. The Master of the Universe says it is highly likely that the previous tenant has left at this point. Trickster gods, you see. This one did technically cancel her agreement and said she would leave as soon as possible, and yes, it does seem like all of her stuff is gone. But trickster gods, you see. If you do see her around, or an object starts unexpectedly talking to you, you let the Lady of Portals know. Do the same if things stop being where you left them. A deeper round of spatial fumigation will be needed in that case. But try not to react too soon. She might leave you alone if you don't rise to the bait. Er, if she's still here. She actually might not be. But trickster gods, you know. Those damn trickster gods.

[Exceptional Forethought: 3]

Well, you guess. Good thing your portable Aetherpane has a handy lock on it. The Master of the Universe nods a little hesitantly. Yes... he's sure you're unlikely to have any problems.

Spoiler: Divine Status, C2 (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: GM Note (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 13, 2016, 02:58:43 pm by Harry Baldman »

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2016, 03:40:34 pm »

I love this concept. Posting to watch for now.

Gaterhyme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2016, 04:12:20 pm »

Making job postings sounds interesting. Put me down for the "not yet gods" as well?

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2016, 04:45:19 pm »

((I hope I got this right))

"Ehhh. Looks like it's a fix-er-upper. Well, mom always did say that things are best when you make em yourself. Might as well go a bit crazy."

Time to start operation man-caveplane. Give the whole scuffed plane a once over to clean it up and add some oak flooring to give it character. Put some hardy grey stone in one corner instead of oak, for the workshop.

Add an extended workshop in one corner of the plane, for all my metal/wood/stoneworking needs.

Then add some nice stone planters with nice-smelling flowers, to give the place some colour and help with the air in here.

Pay 1 divinity for each of these things.

If possible, look for some mortal craftsmen and give them inspiration, either directly or in their dreams. That should help with getting some worshippers.

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2016, 04:53:07 pm »

Whelp, I guess I need to get to work at Finding out what I can do...
Create a Basic Bone Throne in a Corner, or A Throne Sized Block of Bone, Generally whichever will be Cheaper will do?
Afterwards Make myself a Cheap Glass "Terrarium" in the Other Corner.
Finish off by Creating a Reliquary In the Other Other Cornor.
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2016, 05:04:29 pm »

"Okay, horrific shadow of eldritch being... I imagine a nice rug will distract guests from that.
Assemble the throne. The nice thing is, if you fold it out it's a double bed. Mum said it was good value!
Build a fire for use as a reliquary. You think tossig stuff in would burn it, but aha! It's a trick fire! Classic.
Add a rug to the center of the dimension. Something somber, like death doing a guitar solo during a massive thunderstorm.

ziizo

• Bay Watcher
  • Tired and Lazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2016, 05:13:13 pm »

Let's start with stuff I know how to do

Start filling the universe with salt water

Create a layer of dirt/sand/rock to be the universe floor

Install the Reliquary in the middle of the universe

GG, Ziizo. May my spirit live on in your boobs.

Atian the Elephantman God

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2016, 05:59:11 pm »

"Well, let's get this place trunked up"

Fill the bottom layers of the world with fertile soil and very green grass on top with minerals and metals within random locations in the layers

Create a hill in the center of the plane

On the hill create a Palace(a Chinese/Japanese type palace)

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2016, 07:39:46 pm »

I create a layer of fertile soil covering the ground.

I attempt to install my reliquary in an appropriate place.

I also try to move the throne inside. Let's see if I can do it myself.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Flat Earth: Turn 2, A Great Deluge
« Reply #26 on: June 14, 2016, 07:21:28 am »

Turn 2
A Great Deluge

Talgoek of D3:

[Doing It Yourself: 5]

First things first, you set your kit down at one of the edges of the plane and start singing the earthbones to life, assembling your manifold multifunctional Throne-bed with a bit of concerted effort, chanting details into its vague form as you stretch, bend and articulate it to better accommodate your form in a wide variety of potential configurations either ergonomic or outright comfortable. This kit seems unusually agreeable on that end, really, seemingly still willing to take instruction even after you've left it alone a while. Not just a foldout, but a customizable foldout? Practically a steal at what you got it for.

[Building A Hearth: 1]

Next, the Reliquary! You pour some of your creative impulse into fashioning a flame on the edge of the universe where you can put all of your relics (nothing discourages idle snacking like needing to go through literal fire to get at them), and with a cheery crackle you see it form and warm up the plane with the radiance of a newborn star. That is, until you hear a rather unfriendly hiss emanate from the nearby shadow, which appears to feel somewhat compromised by this light source. IT BURNS, you hear it hiss out as it starts to thrash about, spacetime starting to undulate as it wildly tries to extinguish the offending light. Wait, you say, you're sure you can talk this out. IT BURNS, it replies, seemingly not interested in conversation. The plane twitches as the shadow pulls at every edge and thrashes violently, and all your attempts to calm it seem to be in vain until it finally manages to fold the Reliquary into itself by accident, leaving a dark knot where your creation used to be. The plane's framework slowly settles down. You ask if it's feeling any better now, but get no response, though you do sense a vague persistent agitation in the plane's background.

[A New Rug: 6]

Leaving that alone for now, you bring into existence a dark blue rug of sublime craftsmanship depicting the anthropomorphized figure of mythical Death, a robed titan of assembled bones taken from forgotten gods, towering even in two-dimensional representation, lurking in the background of the weave, soulfully playing the interminably slow and moody saxophone solo that will end all possible worlds. It goes from edge to edge of its own will, music creeping into your perception as it does, intently but vainly trying to tie the plane together for a few moments before settling down near the shadow, trying to calm it with the grim inevitability of nonexistence.

Spoiler: Divine Status, D3 (click to show/hide)

Tamos of C4:

[A Solid Floor: 6]

You're not sure removing the scuffed bits of spacetime is going to be that easy, so you focus on the floor first of all, your touch bringing oak and refinement to the formerly blank plane, spreading right to the edges where the vault of heavens meets ground. Granted, it's not a terribly long distance. But the place does look very solid now. The floor plan needs more definition, though. You gaze at a newfound corner, and the oak petrifies into even tougher stone, spreading outward. Hm. How much of a workshop are you going to need? You're a busy fellow, after all. And there's a lot of equipment you could put in there... yeah, you guess you'll go with 7 meters on one side, then, and... yeah, just to be safe, you'll give it 8 on the other side. That gives you a good 56 square meters of workspace, which isn't really ideal, but you can work with that. And that leaves you with... well, that leaves you with relatively narrow strips of oak flooring at the edges. The stone floor makes the workshop look a bit too severe, you think as you consider how to fix this. And a little too imposing. You decide to compromise and make the whole floor of petrified oak (you just love the grain), but offset the severity with a friendly engraved floral pattern. You think that fixes things adequately.

[Workshop of the Gods: 4]

So instead of using a different floor to better define the workshop you just raise it a little in comparison to the rest of the plane, and fill it with a variety of mystical tools - resonating hammers, word-operated lathes, free-floating automatic chisels, jars of spontaneous arising, holy spirit alembics and other odds and ends that you foresee coming in handy if you need anything in particular built with a little less immediacy than just willing it to be like a less industrious god usually would. It does tend to be more economical if you know what you're doing, and you are kind of living on a budget.

[Livening Up The Plane: 6]

But that all does look a bit intimidating, so you do take the opportunity to also put a little life into the place. Doing a full sweep of the plane you point at the edges, and from the floor spring planters full of soil and seed, beautiful and aromatic flowers rising from each as you turn away. Soon your plane is a place of well-maintained greenery and life, the heady mix of tropical flowers going strangely well with the enthusiastic consideration of grisly violence that otherwise permeates the air, producing a delightful aroma of sweet temptation. The air does feel a little thick now, though.

As for communication, you do need an Aetherpane to try and do anything of that sort. It is somewhat poor form to poach mortals from other planes without having the courtesy to at least show up there yourself, even if it is a terribly convenient thing to do, especially when mortals on a plane have the courtesy to set up non-specific cults trying to call up unorthodox deities.

Spoiler: Divine Status, C4 (click to show/hide)

Zelifan of C3:

[Space Is An Ocean: 1]

You can hardly call yourself a drowned god without something to perpetually drown yourself (and others!) in. Salt water collects at your feet, rising up to hip level shortly, and rising further still... but at an increasingly slower rate. It becomes quite an effort to make it rise further than your chin, let alone straight up to vault. You're fairly sure your power works a little better than that, mostly... experimentally you try and stop creating salt water for a moment, and with dawning disappointment you notice it starting to drain. You find this quite suspect, as your previous understanding of spacetime did lead you to believe it could at least hold water. It quickly drains back to about chest level, then more slowly down to your hips, and then finally back down to knee level, draining very slowly from there on in.

[An Insulating Layer: 1]

You wonder if you should have started on the ground first. You try to see if that fixes the problem, rendering the plane's surface into nice and murky muck, a common feature of the more feared pools of the world. It mixes with the water very readily, creating a rather thick mixture of salty mud. This does address the draining issue, you notice, seeing how the newly thickened suspension has trouble draining, but on the other hand you are now standing in what amounts to the Elemental Plane of Muck, minus anything alive dwelling in it apart from yourself. It's kind of dank, you suppose, and you probably could drown in it if you passed out or something. And you suppose it might be satisfying to slosh around in it, particularly if you pop some reeds down, give it more of a boggy feel, you know?

You set down your Reliquary in the middle of this small plane, and watch it float on the thick muck. Just to be safe you anchor it to the local heaven with the handy chain it's got attached to it.

Spoiler: Divine Status, C3 (click to show/hide)

Xenronack of D4

[A Simple Start: 4]

Not one to get overly elaborate in your designs, you will your very own luxurious Bone Throne into existence as you designate a particular corner for all your brooding needs. It menaces with its excellent leather upholstery and helpfully anonymous origin, rising as a hard and unshakable fixture for you to happily occupy for as long as you might possibly need to sort out all of your troubles. It stands exquisitely on nothing in particular, a foundation all by itself. You think you really ought to cover it up, though Wouldn't want anybody coming in here to behold your Bone Throne without at least some buildup.

[Self-Storage Solutions: 4]

That done, you set down a clear glass 4 by 4 meter enclosure in another area you designate as the other corner, filling it with low-grade soil, unconvincing plastic plant life, a sun lamp that emits a lovely persistent electric buzz and an imitation tiny castle you can rampage toward and even tiny, actually screaming models of puny mortals you can step on with only minor discomfort. And, if you're feeling bored, also a fake dinosaur that's more your size if you want to fight it out with one of those and maybe smack the castle with its rubbery bulk. Tiamat's gonna love this, you're pretty sure.

[Sinister Snack Bars: 3]

Furthering the theme, you bring into existence an empty cardboard box with a little bit of tape still on it from a never-performed past delivery. It contains warnings for fragility of contents, harmfulness if swallowed and the multitudinous dangers of packing peanuts, which you proceed to fill the Reliquary with. You intensely cross out the plausible-sounding address stamp you conjured upon it and write "FEED ME" next to the dark spot in permanent marker.

Spoiler: Divine Status, D4 (click to show/hide)

Amaranta of B1

[Gift of Fertility: 6]

A wave of humus rises at your call, coating the ground from here to the near horizon, a fresh and earthy smell rising from it as you inhale, feeling the cool dirt between your toes as you walk around, the layer thickening and settling with what feel like soft breaths, your power bestowing upon it a subtle animate quality, the ground stirring with thoughts akin to those of an earthworm, mixing and stretching as it explores its new confines in newborn confusion. You whisper gently for it to settle down, and it follows your instruction as best it can, scratching against the horizon lightly as it wonders if it could perhaps expand even further.

As the soil settles down you carry in your ancient reliquary and set it down somewhere along the plane's edge. As it feels suitably natural (being your creation just as it is), the earth welcomes it openly, sinking it slightly into itself for appropriate security, then blanketing it with another wave for good measure, giving it the look of a cache of buried treasure.

[Atlantean Labors: 1]

Your old Throne, meanwhile, is still in the Connective Plane outside, fully boxed and ready for deployment. Or it would be were it not currently wedged in the perhaps ungenerous amount of space the Connective Plane affords. You try to move it one way, but it fails to budge. The same happens when you attempt to move it in the other direction, or even twist it in any particular manner, which does to you raise the question of how it could have been put here in the first place. You suspect you'd find out if you tracked down the messenger god who so kindly assisted in the effort, but catching one of those is a godly task in its own right.

Spoiler: Divine Status, B1 (click to show/hide)

Atian of C2

[Whole World In His Hands: 2]

A sweep of your massive hand turns the blankness of an uninhabited plane into splendid creation, providing bountiful and rich soil on which grows the greenest of grasses, sprinkled with valuable minerals and metals where appropriate! Or, to be more precise, you make a nice lawn with some rocks in it. This isn't really the kind of space you'd be able to comfortably make a world that isn't scaled for an average inhabitant size of less than one inch. But that's beside the point, of course, the point being that this lawn is kind of nice.

Or was nice, at least, until a torrential downpour started for some reason, leaving you knee-deep in what you quickly determine to be saltwater. It takes a few minutes to fully drain, whereupon you discover the swift and utter annihilation of your nice new lawn by mixture of drowning and merciless osmosis. The sight is almost heartbreaking.

[The Sacred Mount: 3]

Not to be dissuaded (salt-adapted grass is a thing, after all, and even if it weren't you could make some, being a god and all), you raise the middle of the plane gently to produce a reasonable miniature hill, about a meter tall at its apex, which puts it well into natural end table territory. You decide to use the space for a great and wondrous palace.

[Palace of Kings: 3]

It's a tiny palace, of course. You can't really think of a good way to build a palace in here without sacrificing either size or dignity, and given the purpose of a palace to begin with you decide to make a model one to start with, fashioning an imperious, if tiny structure that could no doubt house quite a lot of tiny inhabitants, or a few very important ones, placing it at the top of the hill and decorating it with statues of elephants, elaborate wooden arcades and elegant curved roofs, the mystical complex standing forbiddingly empty at the top of your sacred little hill.

Now you just have to figure out what you'd want to put inside it. Maybe you could turn it into a Reliquary. You didn't really make an internal floor plan, so there's space in there. And in the hill, too!

Spoiler: Divine Status, C2 (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: GM Note (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 14, 2016, 07:24:10 am by Harry Baldman »

ziizo

• Bay Watcher
  • Tired and Lazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 14, 2016, 07:56:57 am »

"This is much harder than I expected, maybe I could replace the deeps of sea with a swamp?"

Grow trees in random parts of the plane

Start building a Aetherplane.

Create a eternal fog
GG, Ziizo. May my spirit live on in your boobs.

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 14, 2016, 12:19:00 pm »

-Turn Most of the Floor into a Window to somewhere, It doesn't need to Lead anywhere Important of Course.
-Create some sort of Sun Light in the Center of the Ceiling, It should Probably have a Dial on the wall as well.
-Place some Real Plants in the Terrarium, Followed by some Real 1/2 Inch tall Mortals.
-Finally Create some Curtains around my Throne to Hide it out of View Until I Want it Viewed.
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 14, 2016, 12:48:41 pm »

-Turn Most of the Floor into a Window to somewhere, It doesn't need to Lead anywhere Important of Course.
-Create some sort of Sun Light in the Center of the Ceiling, It should Probably have a Dial on the wall as well.
-Place some Real Plants in the Terrarium, Followed by some Real 1/2 Inch tall Mortals.
-Finally Create some Curtains around my Throne to Hide it out of View Until I Want it Viewed.

That's one too many actions you got there.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6