Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13]

Author Topic: Arcane Guild of Hybise - Ended  (Read 15347 times)

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Arcane Guild of Hybise - Ended
« Reply #180 on: July 31, 2016, 07:36:58 pm »

Nooo! Not awesome bird leader! He's too awesome to turn into a shambling fungal abomination!
... But maybe he ";) wouldn't notice  ;)" and watching people wake up and suddenly be tasked with restoring the glory of the Shambling Fungal Abomination Empire would amuse me.

I think Tomcost is right. I didn't realize it before, but I do tend to try learning on mechanics too much, as a crutch for poor characterization, pacing, and overall writing (It's not painful to read, but I'm not getting all the ideas across, and not in a captivating way). Something to keep in mind for my future games.

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: July 31, 2016, 08:21:45 pm »

As with IronyOwl, I agree that it was a fun game. And I don't think that the writing was bad. Rather, I think that it was scarce. Even badly written ideas are better than making a turn about the struggles of the nascent Arcane Guild against poorly understood magic in a few sentences. Hell, you could just tell random stories about any of the guys in the guild. Was Basel using his sneaky powers to visit his girlfriend? Did any of the plant mages find any kind of "recreational" plants on their own? Did Sara attempt to make a door open on its own with runes, only to realize too late that she had done so with the girl's dorm, and pissing all of them off? Those are the kinds of things that the players are looking for, not a "everybody passed their roll to not die" statement.

Anyway, it was good while it lasted, and the room for improvement is there, even if the writing is not bad. You should just aim for something different, not so rigid. Like the time where we decided to kill Stavros or not. That was an interesting, if short, update.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: July 31, 2016, 08:24:10 pm »

tasked with restoring the glory of the Shambling Fungal Abomination Empire would amuse me.
...this also helps with an idea I'm having!
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: July 31, 2016, 08:30:18 pm »

tasked with restoring the glory of the Shambling Fungal Abomination Empire would amuse me.
...this also helps with an idea I'm having!

I have an irrational love of fungal-related things. I support it whatever it is.

I, Writer

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm all the way up, and nothing can stop me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: August 01, 2016, 12:56:42 pm »

Sad. This quest got me into faction-based style ones. I'm disappointed to see it go, but at least I have a sparked muse, and another to look forward to if someone else is developing a similar system.

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: August 01, 2016, 04:14:57 pm »

I have an irrational love of fungal-related things. I support it whatever it is.

I just had to.
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13]