Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 13

Author Topic: Arcane Guild of Hybise - Ended  (Read 15384 times)

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Arcane Guild of Hybise - How Many Mages-In-Training Die? [SG]
« Reply #120 on: June 26, 2016, 06:29:38 pm »

The apprentices are more for showing off potential, and maybe asking the King for more funding. Maybe Vorg can convince the guy to let us train the mages.

Also, whatever we do, we should show those grenades to the King, just to show him that we have secondary projects and pretend that we are better than before.

By the way, did you notice that after having a LV2 teach a candidate the survival rate went to 100%? (of the initiates. We don't know why Eturi is dead).

This should be our policy from now on.

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: June 26, 2016, 06:35:02 pm »

A thought For the Future: When/if Stavros reaches Lvl2 in Necromancy, why don't we have him Go watch as Candidates are Prossessed? If they die he could always bring them up as Undead So...
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: June 26, 2016, 07:33:53 pm »

I think that was mostly luck to be honest, that landed us with so many living people...

Also Irony you're right on the apprentices, but I didn't want to split up the triplets, I figured that there'd be some sorta large hidden loyalty loss if we did, especially if some of them die when apart.

Maybe we should just keep all four to train? To be honest, the king miiiight not appreciate us sending a bunch of snot nosed brats to his army and taking up Vorgs valuable time.

I suppose Vorg has written down almost all the shit he knows by now, so they might even be semisafe learning from his teachings.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2016, 07:35:39 pm by Criptfeind »

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: June 26, 2016, 07:49:40 pm »

To be fair, I wanted to send someone just so that we don't have to feed so many people.

And I still think that Vorg should propose the King that we can train these apprentices to be battle mages in the future, instead of going to war and losing the only fire mage he knows of.

By the way, we are paying 2/3 of a credit for each guild member. That much is what food currently costs. I hope the plant mages can really help. They can compensate quality with quantity. I really hope that Eturi wrote useful enough things for them, like how to make plants grow quickly enough.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: June 26, 2016, 08:16:21 pm »

By the way, we are paying 2/3 of a credit for each guild member. That much is what food currently costs. I hope the plant mages can really help. They can compensate quality with quantity. I really hope that Eturi wrote useful enough things for them, like how to make plants grow quickly enough.
Food cost is currently 1/2 a credit per person. Library materials cost 1/6 of a credit per person. So you can still afford to record a bit of knowledge, and I don't need to put annoying blinking red warnings into the turn post.

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: June 26, 2016, 08:26:39 pm »

We can afford to record the knowledge, but if we don't have any breakthroughs, what would be the need to do so right now? Unless being able to take notes increases magic skill gain, then it would be slightly worth it.

Ardent Debater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: June 26, 2016, 08:49:22 pm »

I have a Proposal!

We'll send Vorg and all 4 Level 1 Fire Mages to the Capital, with our 2 Professional Guards. ((Assuming they haven't been fired.)) Our King, is surely a very reasonable man, otherwise he wouldn't have let us start a Mage's Guild. Once there, Vorg will demonstrate his Abilities in front of the King on some Animal Carcasses, and some Wooden Dummies wearing Armor. He will then explain that his Magical Ability will be much stronger by <insert reasonable amount of years here> and he will also explain that the 4 Level 1 Fire Mages will eventually gain power equal to his. Vorg will also bring a few of the prototype Sound and Fire Grenades, which he will demonstrate on some Animal Carcasses, and some Wooden Dummies wearing Armor, he will then explain that in <insert reasonable amount of years here> the Grenades will be capable of decimating large groups of Soldiers with little difficulty, and that these are only Prototypes, and vastly inferior to the eventual result.

Once Vorg and the others are back at the Guild, Vorg will Moderately Train the 4 Level 1 Fire Mages until they are Level 2 Fire Mages.

After that, Vorg will train Sara and Basel in Fire Magic, at a Low Intensity rate. With both working on the Fire Grenades.

Sara, Basel, and 2 of the 4 Fire Mages contribute to the Fire Grenades, and the Sound Grenades as well, placing more priority on the Fire Grenades, as they are Flashier, and therefore, more likely to impress the King.

The other 2 Fire Mages search for Recruits with 2 Professional Guards accompanying them.

The new Recruits should be Trained in Fire Magic by Vorg and/or the new trained Fire Mages. The newly trained Fire Mages will only attempt to train new Recruits if they are Level 2 or higher.

We should have the 3 Plant Mages start growing Crops, because we need food, and they will hopefully gain some experience. Later on, we can help the poorer, less influential Families grow their Crops, hopefully bolstering our Reputation with them.

Stavros will train Vitamancy and Necromancy at a Low Intensity. In his spare time, he should write down what he knows about Necromancy and Vitamancy.

Basel should just train his Sound Elementalism and work on the Grenades in his spare time for now.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2016, 09:39:52 pm by Ardent Debater »

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: June 26, 2016, 08:57:27 pm »

I have a Proposal!

We'll send Vorg and all 4 Level 1 Fire Mages to the Capital, with our 2 Professional Guards. ((Assuming they haven't been fired.)) Our King, is surely a very reasonable man, otherwise he wouldn't have let us start a Mage's Guild. Once there, Vorg will demonstrate his Abilities in front of the King on some Animal Carcasses, and some Wooden Dummies wearing Armor. He will then explain that his Magical Ability will be much stronger by <insert reasonable amount of years here> and he will also explain that the 4 Level 1 Fire Mages will eventually gain power equal to his. Vorg will also bring a few of the prototype Sound and Fire Grenades, which he will demonstrate on some Animal Carcasses, and some Wooden Dummies wearing Armor, he will then explain that in <insert reasonable amount of years here> the Grenades will be capable of decimating large groups of Soldiers with little difficulty, and that these are only Prototypes, and vastly inferior to the eventual result.

Once Vorg and the others are back at the Guild, Vorg will Moderately Train the 4 Level 1 Fire Mages until they are Level 2 Fire Mages. After that, Vorg will train Sara and Basel in Fire Magic, while Sara trains Vorg and Basel in Destruction Magic, both at a Low Intensity rate. With both working on the Fire Grenades. 2 of the 4 Fire Mages contribute to the Fire Grenades, and the other 2 Fire Mages search for Recruits with 2 Professional Guards accompanying them.

The new Recruits should be Trained in Fire Magic by Vorg and/or the experienced Fire Mage newbies.

We should have the 3 Plant Mages start growing Crops, because we need food, and they will hopefully gain some experience. Later on, we can help the Faisia Family and the poorer, less influential Families grow their Crops, hopefully bolstering our Reputation with them.

Stavros will train Vitamancy and Necromancy at a Low Intensity. In his spare time, he should write down what he knows about Necromancy.

Basel should just train for now.

That sounds Severely better then my plan, +1
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: June 26, 2016, 09:17:21 pm »

As a long term plan, I like it.

But I still veto any LV 1 mage training another one. If you want someone to learn some magic, then the teacher should have experience in it. We just can't lose someone as important as Vorg while trying to learn destruction under a cantrip level tutor.

griffinpup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: June 26, 2016, 09:29:47 pm »

So, my vote is for Vorg and 3 triplets off and having a party with the army, while keeping the one non-twin guy here.  We can't really afford... Anything, and as such sending people off to not starve seems like a good plan.  I'm with never letting lvl one's train anything, and I kinda want to get everyone to explore the ruins together sometime soon, but that's in a year or 2 i think.  My thoughts

Ardent Debater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: June 26, 2016, 09:33:25 pm »

But I still veto any LV 1 mage training another one. If you want someone to learn some magic, then the teacher should have experience in it. We just can't lose someone as important as Vorg while trying to learn destruction under a cantrip level tutor.

+1, I agree completely. I proposed that the new Fire Mages only Recruit and attempt to train more Recruits only after they've become LV 2 Fire Mages. I'm sorry if anyone misunderstood. Also, eventually, we should consider trying to market ourselves to foreign kingdoms that are friendly to our own, so we aren't bound to the whims of a single despot.

Ardent Debater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: June 26, 2016, 09:34:56 pm »

Sorry for the Double-Post, but I realized that I misunderstood your post. I'll Edit my Proposal Post.

Ardent Debater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: June 26, 2016, 09:40:56 pm »

This Triple-Post borders on outright heresy to all laws of Forum decency, but... I edited my proposal to make more sense.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: July 01, 2016, 08:50:55 pm »

((I would appreciate help with counting votes. I would have had a turn out two days ago, but I didn't feel like counting votes and splicing together a plan from a close vote. And please, only bold actions for this turn, not an entire multi-year plan.

Amusing tidbit of the day: Every plant mage rolled within 8 of the dying mark on their d100 roll this turn.))

Create more grenades!
After half a year of fire grenade crafting with Miss Sara, Vorg will take the apprentice fire triplets, a fire and a sound grenade, and a pair of guards to the king for a demonstration. If he is unimpressed, they will volunteer for the army as a squad.
Miss Sara and Basel will spend the remainder of the year working on sound grenades.
The plant apprentices will work together on trying to grow a garden.
Stavros will continue focusing on vitamancy training.

Miss Sara spends the first half of the year working on grenades, mostly fire grenades with Vorg. They make depressingly little progress, and each still takes weeks to make. Vorg takes the triplet fire apprentices and a pair of grenades to visit the king and demonstrate their progress.

They enter the king's estate shortly after dawn to find the king alternatively shouting at two exhausted-looking men wearing blue diplomat uniforms and quickly speaking with his chief general, who is shuffling through reports. From what he can piece together, Vorg decides that a diplomatic incident has started a war with an eastern neighbor. The border is relatively close to the guild, but invaders are unlikely to reach the guild without plenty of warning.

It is long after sunset by the time the king finds time to see them, and one of the apprentices had drifted off in the chaos. The demonstration is kept brief: The king is unimpressed by the lack of progress on grenades or Vorg's hints of wanting to spend more time training his apprentices back at the guild. He is much more impressed by the thought of what Vorg could do on the battlefield. After a brief conversation with an aide, it's decided that Vorg's apprentices will stay with him for training, as non-combatants, but may be called into battle if needed. They will all be given a year of military training beforehand.

Vorg is unable to find the third triplet, and will continue into the army with only two apprentices - Delaying his training would require delaying an entire class of much-needed recruits, and the king is of the belief that it is the magic guild's job to train useless apprentices, not the army's.

Miss Sara and Basel make no major discoveries over the remaining half of the year.

The plant mages assigned to gardening found a fungus that grew lethally toxic mushrooms quickly and year-round. They began to cultivate samples on a plot on the guild's land, while trying to make the mushrooms edible. Naturally, one of the fungi exploded into a cloud of deadly spores while the three were focusing their efforts on it. Two were thrown back painfully, breaking a few bones. The third remained near the center, and breathed several lungfuls of spores before she could be pulled back. Stavros had been enjoying the weather outside the main guild building, and rescued her. He then managed to remove the spores before they had time to kill, and keep her alive, but it has taken a serious toll on her health. She is having to take it easy on work, and may die next year.

The remaining two continued sullenly through the year, and managed to get one of the samples to grow edible mushrooms. Food costs should be less of a problem soon, but it will take more than mushrooms to feed the guild.

One level 1 fire mage is missing, last seen in the capital.

The villagers heard of the dangerous exploding fungus problem. They're pretty mistrustful right now, and relations with the Faisia have cooled to neutral.

The king is pleased. He has granted you two more guards and +2 credits of funding.

Spoiler: Reports (click to show/hide)

Missions
Search for recruits!
 Send someone out, from three months to a year, looking for those with magical potential.
 Consider sending some guards.
 Suggested Skills: Level 2 in any magical skill would greatly increase the chances of finding at least one recruit.

Cultivate food.
 The guild now has a small patch of mushrooms. It needs more work to provide a real benefit, and you'll need more than just mushrooms to feed the guild.
 Be aware that the traders would be forced to stop coming as frequently, which would slightly reduce the loyalty gain from luxuries, among possible other effects.

Explore the Ruins.
 An abandoned city is a few months of travel away. Miss Sara would like to explore it. She believes that the trip would be a fun bonding experience that would improve the loyalty of anyone she takes. This would take half a year.

Finding a wayward apprentice.
 Time Sensitive (?)
 An apprentice disappeared in the capital. The guards haven't found them yet, and Vorg had little time to search before his class started their training. Mages may have more luck than mundane guards.

Financial Decisions
 You have three credits to spend.
 The new house could be further expanded, with a dedicated storage room or a more comfortable dormitory for males (2 gives an extra room, 4 gives two extras.)
 The village has a few small festivals every year, which could be made fancier. Buying some consumable luxuries for the village for several years would slowly improve their views of you.

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: July 01, 2016, 09:37:05 pm »

First and foremost, everybody shall congratulate the plant mages. They transformed a lethal fungus into edible mushrooms. Say whatever you want, but that's impressive. Eturi would have been proud.

Sara should go with two guards to look after that missing triplet. If the guy doesn't want to go to study under Vorg, and we can't convince him otherwise, he can just come back with us.

Everybody back at home will spend some of their time expanding the mushroom field. Even the guards, if they are willing. The plant mages will only use extra time if it gives them some practice. Money saved through this will go into buying luxury goods this year, so that there is no loyalty penalty right now. Maybe we should start thinking about dressing mages in robes according to their speciality, or something that gives the idea that everybody belongs to guild. We need symbology, a symbol of prestige, or something like that.

Upon coming back, Sara will take almost everybody in an expedition. Everybody will go, excluding Stavros, the severely injured plant mage, and two guards, who will stay.

Upon leaving for the expedition, Sara will give Stavros the thumbs up to try more desperate measures to save the injured apprentice. This means using both necromancy and vitamancy to steal the life from captured animals or plants to heal the mage. If this becomes a losing fight, Stavros, without anybody's permission, will use that apprentice to practice necromancy (maybe while faking her death), because maybe he secretly wants to increase his knowledge of that craft but doens't have the means.

Financial decisions:
Use two credits on buying a male dorm. The other credit goes to buy some minor goods for the festival.

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 13