Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 13

Author Topic: Arcane Guild of Hybise - Ended  (Read 15391 times)

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Arcane Guild of Hybise - Things Could Have Gone Worse [SG]
« Reply #105 on: June 22, 2016, 02:40:35 pm »

Tomcost: Please consolidate your revised plan into one post, so I don't make any mistakes trying to figure out what different people want to do, and so people can easily +1 it or suggest changes.

Other votes I'm seeing:
 Griffinpup wants to recruit as many fire mages as possible and present them all to the king as a squad of weak pyromancers under Vorg.
 Playergamer wants to limit recruitment to those we want to have level 2s train, and supports the first plan Tomcost proposed.
 Criptfeind wants to work on fire grenades, or anything else that might sate the king instead of sending Vorg away.

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: June 22, 2016, 03:03:06 pm »

Have we even attempted to have Varg, [Necromancer guy], and Sara enchant Arrows together? because One-shot Arrows that catch fire when they hit something While Paralizeing it somewhat would likely get the king's approval.
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

griffinpup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: June 22, 2016, 03:15:58 pm »

My final pitch...
First a list of goals
1) Give the king something useful
2) Grow our guild
3) Get more moneys
Giving Vorg and pyromancers directly accomplishes the first task.  It indirectly accomplishes the second, by investing in a cadre of weak mages, letting them mature for 8 years, and that reaping the fruits of that later.  And if the plan pleases the king, not only will he give us more moneys, we don't have to pay Vorg/any of Vorg's apprentices for 8 years.  It seems like a solid plan

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: June 22, 2016, 03:19:04 pm »

Consolidated plan:

Eturi and a guard go to look for recruits. Aim to get at least two in plant magic, and three in fire magic.

Vorg and Eturi will teach those apprentices and guide them so that they don't die.

Sara works with Vorg and Basel in creating grenades. Either with fire, or sound. Practice away from the village so that nobody gets pissed at us (and if possible not inside the forest, so that we don't burn all the countryside).

Stavros works on vitamancy so that he can heal people.

We buy better furniture, and fire the two recruit guards.

I do not support a three way mage project right now. Too complicated.

My final pitch...
First a list of goals
1) Give the king something useful
2) Grow our guild
3) Get more moneys
Giving Vorg and pyromancers directly accomplishes the first task.  It indirectly accomplishes the second, by investing in a cadre of weak mages, letting them mature for 8 years, and that reaping the fruits of that later.  And if the plan pleases the king, not only will he give us more moneys, we don't have to pay Vorg/any of Vorg's apprentices for 8 years.  It seems like a solid plan

If Vorg dies, then we lose a lot. But let's say that I support this as a second plan. To be fair, Vorg alone going to war may please the king, so giving him apprentices may not be what we want, although free maintenance and skill training is always good.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: June 22, 2016, 04:00:50 pm »

I'd rather have two guards in training than more level ones and a big pile of bodies. I vote that Eturi just looks for a single fire mage and we keep the guards. Focus on fire grenades, but I guess experiment with sound. Otherwise plan seems okay.

Whisperling

• Bay Watcher
  • Indefinite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: June 23, 2016, 12:54:20 am »

PTW

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: June 26, 2016, 03:27:16 pm »

((I was hoping for something resembling a consensus. Since Playergamer supported Tomcost's earlier version of this, and Griffinpup wants to send Vorg away, I'm going with Tomcost's updated plan.))

Quote from: Tomcost
Eturi and a guard go to look for recruits. Aim to get at least two in plant magic, and three in fire magic.

Vorg and Eturi will teach those apprentices and guide them so that they don't die.

Sara works with Vorg and Basel in creating grenades. Either with fire, or sound. Practice away from the village so that nobody gets pissed at us (and if possible not inside the forest, so that we don't burn all the countryside).

Stavros works on vitamancy so that he can heal people.

We buy better furniture, and fire the two recruit guards.

The recruit guards are sent off to join the military. They seem slightly confused, but accepting.

Eturi goes out recruiting, to get apprentices for herself and for Vorg. She returns partway through fall with seven younger-than-usual potentiates in tow(Eturi says that potentiates are getting scarcer in the local towns) , the last three of which are triplets. After their welcoming ceremony, Vorg claims the triplets, while Eturi takes the calmer of the two that remain, and each group walks deeper into the forest, alongside a guard in case of a major mishap. The final two remain in the forest clearing, talking with the rest of the guild.

A few hours later, Eturi returns with both new apprentices. Half an hour after that, Vorg returns, all three triplets intact and bouncing a spark of fire between them. After a talk between the senior members of the guild, Eturi and Vorg each take one of the remaining potentiates out into the forest. Vorg and a fourth new fire apprentice return shortly.

Hours more pass, dawn arrives, and most of the mages are napping. Eturi still has not returned. The senior members and guards go out to find her, preparing themselves to hunt down whatever monster has spawned. They find the guard and potentiate asleep and moderately wounded (some sort of acid burns cover their upper bodies, beneath their unharmed clothes), while Eturi herself is dead, no wounds visible.

With Stavros and the passing of time, the survivors are mostly healed, but scarred. The apprentice doesn't know what happened, and only remembers a few seconds of a burning, searing, explosive headache. The guard knows nothing. The apprentice did manage to learn plant magic.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Miss Sara works with Vorg and Basel, making rocks that release their energy with fire or noise when thrown. They reliably go off when striking a target, but occasionally go off at less convenient times. Fortunately(?), they're too weak to do serious harm. The fire grenades generate a brief burst of flame, capable of causing painful yet ultimately harmless burns, while the sound grenades are annoyingly loud. Miss Sara is working to improve her infusion, hoping to get them more powerful, but doesn't know whether or not she will be be able to succeed before Vorg is forced to go off to war.

Everyone appreciates the new furniture. A few marvel at the luxury they'd never known before (although things are growing a bit cramped now).

The king expects to see something useful from the guild by the end of the turn.

Spoiler: Reports (click to show/hide)

Missions
Search for recruits!
 Send someone out, from three months to a year, looking for those with magical potential.
 Consider sending some guards.
 Suggested Skills: Level 2 in any magical skill would greatly increase the chances of finding at least one recruit.

You are poor.

Cultivate food.
 The traders charge too much for food. You don't have money. Give the three plant mages a useful project and see what happens.
 Be aware that the traders would be forced to stop coming as frequently, which would slightly reduce the loyalty gain from luxuries, among possible other effects.

Joining the hunt.
 You need food! Send some leftover apprentices to help the slightly-friendly Faisia family in exchange for food.

Explore the Ruins.
 An abandoned city is a few months of travel away. Miss Sara would like to explore it. She believes that the trip would be a fun bonding experience that would improve the loyalty of anyone she takes. This would take half a year.

Financial Decisions
You are poor, and can't even afford to properly buy scrolls.
 The new house could be further expanded, with a dedicated storage room or a more comfortable dormitory for males (2 gives an extra room, 3 gives two extras.)
 The village has a few small festivals every year, which could be made fancier. Buying some consumable luxuries for the village for several years would slowly improve their views of you.

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
Re: Arcane Guild of Hybise - How Many Mages-In-Training Die? [SG]
« Reply #112 on: June 26, 2016, 03:53:12 pm »

My Basic Thoughts:
the Plant mages work on Growing us Food, and Possibly Work with Stavros to Learn what they can from him in Vitamancy to improve what they can do.

Varg AND the Fire mage Recruits Go off to war, if nothing Else They can Set some people on fire, Shoot Flaming Arrows, Ect. And Varg will Still be able to teach them While They are Out there possibly Netting us some More Fire mages that know what they are Doing!
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

High tyrol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: June 26, 2016, 04:36:31 pm »

My Basic Thoughts:
the Plant mages work on Growing us Food, and Possibly Work with Stavros to Learn what they can from him in Vitamancy to improve what they can do.

Varg AND the Fire mage Recruits Go off to war, if nothing Else They can Set some people on fire, Shoot Flaming Arrows, Ect. And Varg will Still be able to teach them While They are Out there possibly Netting us some More Fire mages that know what they are Doing!
1+

Whisperling

• Bay Watcher
  • Indefinite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: June 26, 2016, 04:56:25 pm »

-1 to sending all the fire mages off to war. Chances are that at least some of them will die (if not all), and while we probably can't afford to house all of them ourselves, sending every single fire mage away accomplishes nothing but risking them and locking us out of an element (for at least 8 turns, possibly more if they get slaughtered).

Now that we have semi-functional grenades, sending both them and a few level 1s might be a better idea. Maybe they come back competent, maybe they die, but less of a risk overall.

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: June 26, 2016, 05:06:53 pm »

My Basic Thoughts:

1+
+1 to this, with slight changes:

1) Letting level ones teach magic is bad. So no learning vitamancy until Stavros gets better. Or at least until one of the plant mages gets better and can teach plant magic to another one in case everyone dies.
2) Have a single fire mage stay in the guild, just in case everybody dies in the war.

And, finally, I'd rather try to ask the king for a bit more funding and time to properly prepare more fire mages, but always offering the fire mages to go to war themselves now as to not anger the King.

I suppose that having the knowledge Eturi wrote around would make it faster for the plant mages to improve, right? Eventually we would be able to feed more apprentices, I guess.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: June 26, 2016, 05:51:06 pm »

We still apparently have until the end of the turn until we need to send Vorg off. I think we should spend have Vorg and Sara keep on trying to make the grenades useful up until the time that Vorg needs to leave. If they can make something of use, send that to the king, if not, vorg gets to go to war. And he should only take the tripplets, he can teach them as they fight or whatever, but keep them away from combat until they are useful. The last fire apprentice we'll keep and he can train on his own.

The plant apprentices can start growing food.
Everyone else can keep training, necro dude on healing, sound dude on sound.

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: June 26, 2016, 06:09:25 pm »

We still apparently have until the end of the turn until we need to send Vorg off. I think we should spend have Vorg and Sara keep on trying to make the grenades useful up until the time that Vorg needs to leave. If they can make something of use, send that to the king, if not, vorg gets to go to war. And he should only take the tripplets, he can teach them as they fight or whatever, but keep them away from combat until they are useful. The last fire apprentice we'll keep and he can train on his own.

The plant apprentices can start growing food.
Everyone else can keep training, necro dude on healing, sound dude on sound.

This is basically my modified suggestion, so +1

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: June 26, 2016, 06:11:04 pm »

((You don't really need to specify when someone will train on the only magic they know. If they're doing nothing else, I'll just bump up how much training focus they get.))

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: June 26, 2016, 06:17:44 pm »

I don't like sending the triplets off. They won't be useful until they hit L2 anyway, and if anything happens to our remaining fire apprentice we'll be out of what is currently our strongest element for somewhere between 8 and forever turns.

I agree with having the plant apprentices grow food, but only because we're literally desperate at the moment. As soon as we get some breathing room, we should start cycling them out so we have one growing food and the others training (or one training and the others growing food, if our breathing room is very small).

No reason not to have everyone else train.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 13